Tearaway Unfolded

Nov 17

God of War Collection Launches Today for PS3!

John Hight's Avatar Posted by John Hight on Nov 17, 2009 // Director of Product Development, Santa Monica Studio

God of War fans,

Kratos has finally come to the PS3! Just in time for the holidays, fans can now enjoy the award-winning God of War and God of War II in stunning HD. To give you a refresher on specifics, God of War Collection includes both critically acclaimed games remastered in full HD resolution complete with 2X anti-aliased graphics running at 60 frames per second — all on a single Blu-ray disc. And if this ultra smooth gameplay wasn’t enough, we’ve also added PlayStation Network (PSN) trophy support to the franchise for the first time (included for both games).

Our team did an exceptional job supporting the release of God of War Collection while at the same time tending their work on God of War III. It’s inspirational for us to see the critical acclaim and the overall positive reception we’re receiving for this package. We take pride in everything we do and it’s cool to see that our fans appreciate the effort. An Olympic-sized thank you goes out to the entire Santa Monica Studio, as well as Bluepoint Games, for this momentous accomplishment. With the God of War III launch getting closer everyday, we’re hoping the God of War Collection will get you fired up to reconnect with Kratos!

Here’s another look at our trailer, as well as some of the reviews that have hit so far. In the end there will be only chaos!

God of War Collection Reviews

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ Davenport on November 17th, 2009 at 11:18 pm said:

Sony!!! what a joke… I went to my local Best Buy and Target in search of this game and wasted hours of my time today. you are constantly posting about the “November 17th” release date and now you say it is a ship date?!

my money was spent on Assassin’s Creed 2 instead. you just lost a sale.

+ jrthedeadboy on November 18th, 2009 at 12:10 am said:

This is so LAME. I stopped by Target today after class to pick up a copy of God of War: The Collection and was told it wasn’t in. Dropped by Best Buy and the guy tells me the release date has been pushed back and will be available tomorrow at noon. What kind of company tells you a product will be available at a specific date and then does not provide the goods? This is bad business for sure. Shame on you Sony.

+ maddymad on November 18th, 2009 at 12:20 am said:

I got an email from videogameplus that my copy has been shipped. I can’t wait to receive it.
PS: I’m from europe.

+ deathorglory9 on November 18th, 2009 at 1:33 am said:

Hey every one who’s being a [DELETED] cill out, next time check the real-sellers website for the release date instead of using this site as a release seclude.

+ Shrewder on November 18th, 2009 at 2:09 am said:

As others have pointed out, this blog post is inaccurate. This marketing announcement was posted early. As a consumer, it’s kinda annoying.

I can appreciate what the shipping date means to the publisher and the retailer, but video gamers are concerned with the release/purchase date. The industry needs to understand this and correct it in the future.

The information mistake isn’t a big deal, but common sense can easily prevent this type of annoyance. People have wasted their time because Sony and retailers provided the wrong purchase date to the customer base.

+ Deadly-Survivor on November 18th, 2009 at 4:01 am said:

who cares about This where is this damm socom Confrontation update you guys make me sick. !!!

+ Raven3960 on November 18th, 2009 at 4:34 am said:

hey guys whats the deal i live in the uk and we havent even got a release date for the gow collection yet i went in game and they didnt even know what we were talking about??
how come everywhere else has it this week and we cant till next year???

+ IrishPete333 on November 18th, 2009 at 5:01 am said:

Picking mine up today. I can’t wait to see how this looks. And the GOW3 demo will be sick!

+ Silurus on November 18th, 2009 at 6:41 am said:

Think yourselves lucky it’s only a day or two late. Here in the UK we do not even have a release date so have to import if we want it any time soon.

+ Gunwing on November 18th, 2009 at 6:48 am said:

I’m so getting this one!

+ MB-rules on November 18th, 2009 at 7:46 am said:

+ dertydanny76 on November 18th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

i just got my copy today im about to pop it in and see wassup with it

+ dertydanny76 on November 18th, 2009 at 9:04 am said:

im about to pop it in and see what it is

+ stardeth on November 18th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

don’t understand why y’all in a huff about 2 DAYS!! it’s just a GAME, people, albeit a great one (i have it as my next game in my Q on gamefly). don’t have it yet, play something else and quit crying!!

+ Bizdady on November 18th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

This is ****** Ive been waiting and waiting and you guys pull this stuff on us. Amazon wont be shipping my order now till tomorrow so who knows if ill be able to even play it now this weekend. Might just cancell my order and not pick this up now just out of spite.

+ JVBGFR on November 18th, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

My GameStop was supposed to receive it today but didn’t :(.

Are you guys planning to have any kind of content for PlayStation Home? Like maybe a Kratos costume? Or even a Game Space?

+ CapnWacky on November 18th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

It sounds like your problem is with Amazon, not Sony. Lots of games aren’t available in stores until Weds, so while I agree it was kind of dumb for Sony to make this blog post on Tues, nobody made you choose Amazon. Unless you pay for overnight shipping or the game has release-date delivery, Amazon is a crap shoot for new releases.

+ TheGuardianFID on November 18th, 2009 at 11:22 am said:

I just got back from picking up my copy KRATOS IN HD FTW!!! >:( :P :D

+ MaaSel on November 18th, 2009 at 11:26 am said:

Is the God of War Collection playable in German?

(I hope the question will be answered this time :-() TIA

+ Bladesofgold on November 18th, 2009 at 12:29 pm said:

@88 Time to boycott Slant Six. All they want to do is show video of maps that we played 4 years ago. Vote with your wallets and maybe they will get the message.

+ korn16ftl3 on November 18th, 2009 at 12:42 pm said:

yay is this why you removed backwards compatability from the PS3 so u can “remaster” PS2 games and resell us things weve already got, or was it so you can still sell PS2 consoles to ppl that traded in there PS2 for a PS3 than found out the PS3 wont play PS2 games i mean really for a system that does everything as your commercial says i would expect to see PS2 compatibility put ure time to a bigger money maker remaster FF7 ull make more over this looser game any day

+ GreySpot on November 18th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Finally got my hands on the game, but there’s a problem… The system freezes after within the first couple minutes playing the first god of war! This happened to me a lot while playing Batman AA, but doesn’t happen with any of my other games. The music continues, but everything else freezes (controls and video). I end up having to manually turn off the system.

I have a 60GB PS3 and am playing through an HDMI cable if that helps anything. Please release a patch to fix this! I really don’t want to have to get a new ps3 because of this. Feel free to contact me if you need more info.

+ imabigplayer on November 18th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

i can’t wait to play the 1st God Of War i played the 2nd

+ commanderlewis on November 18th, 2009 at 2:25 pm said:

Hmm loving the collection so far, man i didn’t know how much i missed this game…Thou no gow3 demo..what’s up with that?

+ CAZTILLO on November 18th, 2009 at 4:27 pm said:

Woot I got this game in the morning in jaystreet :-D

+ jrthedeadboy on November 18th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

Picked up a copy at Gamespot today and was really excited about playing. I played the game for about an hour and during a loading session the game wouldn’t load. After taking the disc out and putting it back in, the PS3 couldn’t read the disk. Any one else have any issues besides Greyspot? Guess I’ll have to return it for another copy.

+ jedi_webslinger on November 18th, 2009 at 6:33 pm said:

why is there no voucher for gow 3 demo??? its written on the cover that theres one inside

+ redman351 on November 18th, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

Is the god of war 3 demo and the collection demot the exact same, or has collection’s demo have upgrades to the game in it?

+ pigmak on November 18th, 2009 at 9:46 pm said:

KUDOS@88…….@102, It is Sony showing us not S/6……@104, sounds like corrupt data, possibly the Batman Save Data…On to GOW…I went to get this for my gf yesterday…..She had 1st 2, I had never played any GOW …..I went and got this today….Her 1st impressions were amazing….Very nicely done….Story scenes are PS 2ish as is friend list duriin gameplay…..GOW3 DEMO is awesome…How can some not get it……Scratch off the back of sheet on top of the manual

+ MTHockeyman on November 19th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Play N Trade Video Games got them today and some places yesterday. Everybody talks about Amazon and Gamestop. Why not try the local guy that likes you and your games, not just a number in a computer?

THis game is AMAZING!!

There is a difference between ship date and release date so they invented the “street date”. Some games release, some ship date, and some street date. It would be nice if ALL publishers would release like movies and music would…every Tuesday but that doesn’t happen.

+ djstylz3000 on November 19th, 2009 at 11:05 am said:

Greyspot I am having the same problem as you, i ahve the 60GB model and when playing the first GOW it freezes right after the battle on the ship deck and going down the hatch it freezes right there. I called techincal support and their troubleshooting skills are ridiculous first agent told me to delete the game data and he wouldnt listen I was telling him that the game doesnt install game data like other ps3 games and he was like I dont understand I hung up on him and called a second agent adv me to disconnect the media server and internet connection tried that it didnt work went back to eb games and replace the game thinking I have a defective game but same exact problem. I love my 60gb but this the second game that does this constantly first it was GTA 4 now this game but If I have to buy a slim I dont care…..I hope they release a patch for this..

+ Sponge-worthy on November 19th, 2009 at 5:21 pm said:

The game looks great, but the audio is a disappointing downgrade, unfortunately. Where’s the surround from the original PS2 games?

+ JesseWAFC on November 19th, 2009 at 7:59 pm said:

this is second return and the game freezes only on gow1 and not gow2. come on

+ StealthBlade98 on November 20th, 2009 at 1:26 am said:

Guys, how long have you been playing video games? This has always been the case for as Long as I played them. The actual date is…, gasp…Shipping date. The only game I remember that ships it early is Grand Theft Auto.

Anyway, didn’t have it tuesday, not a problem. Went back thursday and they had it. :D

+ Sweet-T310 on November 20th, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

Also having major freezing issues. Have a 60GB launch model and this is the only game I am having problems with.

I can’t get but 3-4 minutes into the first game w/o having it freeze like Post 104 said. GOW2 froze right after the initial load screen. So far, I’ve attempted to play 6 times, and had 6 freezes.

+ CitizenDrummond on November 20th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

I have an 80GB backward compatible model and have had no problems at all. Played the first level of both I & II. Clean as a whistle.

+ The_Damager on November 20th, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

I am havin the problem w/ the GOD of war collection. I have a launch 60GB ps3 and all of my games work fine expect GOD of war collection and Batman arkham asylum. but, anyway back to GOW:C. the game freezes at random spot, but I manage 2 get out of the ship or boat. got 2 the 1st elevator and fought the 3 or 4 monsters there, now we r gettn 2 the good part. now, I am at the 2nd elevator, the command said press R2. ok, pressin R2, the elevator is goin up and guess what. I F’ing freeze goin up! if I do manage to get off the elevator, within seconds, I am frozen. this is my 2nd copy of the game and the 2nd game freezes at the same exact spot as the 1st one. what kind of BS is this?! I did everything that I could to resolve the problem and nothing, same [DELETED]. I reset to default, delete saved data, etc… I think a simple update of the game will fix the problem. same issues like post 104, 113 & 117!

+ VectaMachinist on November 20th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

why wouldn’t they put chains of olympus in there too. I would buy the game if they would just make it available for ps3, I’m not buying any of them untill I can get all of them.

+ DustinThe1st on November 20th, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

I have 60GB first model and Collection wont even allow me to play at all. On GOW1 as soon as Kratos talks and camera pulls away game freezes everytime, never sooner. On 2 it goes through opening but as soon as I am suppose to take control it freezes. Called support had me do all kinds of things with no luck. This is the ONLY game that does this. Support said I could send in my system but not likely to help cause only this game so system ok, and since I bought the crazy expensive model before Sony realized only a handul of people think they where worth the price I would have to pay for the repair/shipping (if I bought the stripped down cheapy system out now would be free, funny how those of us who spent double what most did are expected to pay for what they do for free for those that didnt support them from the start, nice). I think maybe a save game file could help, anyone know where or have a save game file they can send via the net to try to load a game instead of starting new?

+ well09 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:45 pm said:

what happened to the announcement that this game comes with the god of war 3 demo??? bought mine yesterday and to my surprise I didn’t got the voucher… what the hell is going on?

+ well09 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:47 pm said:

what happened to the god of war 3 demo voucher that should come with this game?
what the hell is going on?

+ NEJI64 on November 20th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

wow i bought God of War Collection and i got my voucher for GoW3. plus i have a 60gb PS3 and haven’t experience any freezing.

+ SirTrigalot on November 20th, 2009 at 6:48 pm said:

as much as I like the Collections there definitely is an issue with the collision and controls in the challenge of the gods. I am standing on a platform and it says I am dead 3 seconds into the launch of the challenge!!!!

+ secularsage on November 20th, 2009 at 6:55 pm said:

I have to say – the HD collection is a really half-assed effort. The game plays fine and looks good in HD, but the in-game cutscenes look awful in 1080p, and the packaging and splash screen make this feel like a low-budget affair. I also wish that Chains of Olympus could have been worked in somehow.

C’mon, Sony – show some love for your products next time and make these “remastered editions” look and feel like a PS3 game and not just a quick port. Take a cue from Tecmo with their incredible re-releases of the Ninja Gaiden games.

I will say, though, that I am really annoyed to find that one of the “features” promised with this game — the God of War 3 demo — is not included in the collection, nor is there any voucher allowing for the download of the demo.

What gives, Sony? It’d be nice to at least have a mea culpa from you guys saying that the demo wasn’t ready or something, rather than trying to pretend it never happened.

+ secularsage on November 20th, 2009 at 7:19 pm said:

I’ve done some more reading, and apparently, only SOME copies are coming with the voucher for the GOW3 demo.

I bought mine shrink-wrapped from a store and didn’t get my voucher. What can I do to get one? Is there a hotline or something I can call?

+ mgsfoxhound2 on November 20th, 2009 at 8:37 pm said:

Sony u must do this with other ps2 games like RED FACTION!!! PlEASE PLEASE that would be so awsome!!!

+ Bananagoo on November 20th, 2009 at 9:09 pm said:

Just got this today, no download code for GOW III demo. What’s the deal? Do only some versions have it? Sony said it would be in “each copy”.

Don’t leave us in the dark, what’s going on with these download vouchers people are not getting! One of the ONLY reasons I bought this…

+ alexander1000 on November 20th, 2009 at 11:15 pm said:

maybe there’s problems with the 60gb ones

+ alexander1000 on November 20th, 2009 at 11:16 pm said:

oh sorry for the double post, but i pre ordered this and i have the 40gb one so i’ll update you guys if i have any problem..

+ alexander1000 on November 20th, 2009 at 11:19 pm said:

i pre ordered from play-asia.. the best site for me to get games from.. anyway i got the 40gb version so if i have a problem i’ll let myself here

PAGE 1 2 3 4