PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Happy 3rd Anniversary PS3 and PlayStation Network!

Kim Nguyen's Avatar + Posted by Kim Nguyen on Nov 17, 2009 // Marketing Manager, PlayStation 3

As many of you know, today marks the third anniversary of PS3 and PlayStation Network. It’s amazing to think how far we’ve come in three short years. At launch three years ago, PS3 was a cutting edge gaming console, ushering in the idea of a forward thinking format like Blu-ray that few people had heard of. We were committed to that concept and how it would impact the gaming landscape for the next generation. Today, Blu-ray Disc is the next gen standard media format giving PS3 game developers a larger canvas to create games that continually push the envelope on rich, immersive gaming experiences.

In its infancy, PlayStation Network began as a free service to gamers offering an online commerce option for games and game content. Today, it offers an unrivaled social networking experience in PlayStation Home, a robust video delivery service for purchasing and renting SD and HD content from every major studio, social networking applications like Facebook, instant streaming content from Netflix, and a rich selection of more than 450 games for PS3 and PSP…oh, and yes, it’s still free.

Momentum is going strong and signs are only pointing up for us. In October, we saw a 70 percent increase in PS3 sales over last October. This was fueled by a marketing campaign that many of you have commented on, but also by a new slimmer and lighter form factor with a larger hard-drive for $100 less. We’re seeing hundreds of thousands of you joining the PlayStation family every day, and we welcome you to check out all of the amazing things that PlayStation has to offer.

We are really hitting our stride here and with how far you’ve seen us come in three short years, imagine how far we’ll go with the next three. It all starts with this holiday and blockbusters like UNCHARTED 2 and Ratchet & Clank, and only gets better in Q1 with MAG, Heavy Rain and God of War III.

Really, what I’m here to say is, thanks for all of your support. Without your enthusiasm and feedback, PS3 wouldn’t be what it is today.

Camping out for a PS3

277 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ Revolutionary on November 17th, 2009 at 5:08 pm said:

Ha, I was on that line… and the 60GB I bought that day is still going strong.

Happy Birthday, PS3!

+ snoogansR75 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:08 pm said:

Cheers for many more years from Sony and Playstation!

+ gue-xplicit on November 17th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Happ

+ twooh on November 17th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Happy 3rd B-Day ps”3″.

+ TheInfectedBy590 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Happy Anniversary! :D

+ gue-xplicit on November 17th, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 and PSN!!! It has been an amazing year and continues to get stronger for Sony.

Keep up the amazing work….

+ ghamdikh1 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

cool

+ eaferrari24 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

happy birthday!!!!

+ Kchow23 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 and PSN!… make sure to bring the Video store to Canada soon though :)

+ gue-xplicit on November 17th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 and PSN. It has been an amazing year, and has very strong outlooks. Thanks Sony……..

+ JetPiIot on November 17th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

Where is LittleBigPlanet on the PSN? Wasn’t it supposed to be released today?

It’s been on sale in the shops for over 20 hours now yet my shiny new PSPgo is still waiting for the downloadable version. :-(

+ headwing45 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

If it weren’t for sony, my gaming would be on xbox (eww), so I thank you

+ Maguss on November 17th, 2009 at 5:11 pm said:

No free presents!??!?! Still Congrats Sony!!!

+ mixedkidbx on November 17th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

Happy B-day PS3. You know the best B-day present to your fans would have been cross-game chat.

+ UNCyrus on November 17th, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

Still got my launch 20gb, it’s amazing!

+ Vaughn21 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

The PS3 and PSN have come so far in the past 3 years. Can’t wait to see what the future holds. Happy Birthday PS3 and PSN!

+ SunnyBoy on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! thank you for amazing last 3 years! my launch 60gb is still going strong!!!

+ jeremy23jacinto on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Happy Big 3 PS3

+ mixedkidbx on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Oh yeah where’s the new Star Trek movie for rental on the video store. I wanna see it bad

+ Irishmandkg on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Awesome! So…..cross game chat anytime soon?

+ gema11981 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

Happy Birthday Ps3 and PSN !

+ Zezzler on November 17th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

ZOMG! i almost forgot, i was thinking about it yesterday, and then it had slipped my mind today. the past 3 years have been quite memorable. mines a bit more than 2 years old. i love the console and cant wait to see the support in the near and distant future.
GREAT WORK SONY!

+ Andronicus on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

now about that cross game chat 3 years later…..

+ Lowell_B on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

hahah my ps3 died 7 months ago. got the Blinking light i still havent gotten it fixed

+ SunnyBoy on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

happy birthday PS3!

+ crazypeng1 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! but i wanted to note something:

i’m not sure everyone in the picture above was genuinely interested in purchasing a PS3 to have the ultimate multimedia and gaming experience. i think a lot of it was driven by people who wanted to buy ps3′s and sell them simply because the opportunity cost of doing that was pretty good compared to their workday/schoolday/day of unemployment . Sorry to be a bummer, but i’m still a little sour about three years ago :/

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

SONY is and always will be the king of gaming.

the PSN is a fantastic service and the PS3 is by far the greatest gaming console of all time.

I love you SONY.

Thank you for the millions of happy, sad, and jaw-dropping moments.

All other consoles lack the heart of PlayStation.

We are the PlayStation Nation, and we shall never die!

Alex :)

+ Irishmandkg on November 17th, 2009 at 5:14 pm said:

#20 The Star Trek movie isn’t too good. At least for me and being a fan of the shows.

+ xLord-Slothx on November 17th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! <3

+ T3mpr1x on November 17th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

Happy birthday indeed! To celebrate I’m gonna go buy the God of War Collection for my LAUNCH 60GB PS3 (:)) and LittleBigPlanet for my PSP.

+ Big_Slim_1300R on November 17th, 2009 at 5:16 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!!

+ Plankfan on November 17th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!

+ Big_Slim_1300R on November 17th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Happy Birthday!!!!

+ Vabor on November 17th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

Happy Birthday! To at least 7 years more! :)

+ KILLZONE79 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

Sony you must of forgot to post this cause after i posted on your twitter account to remind you then you must of went like: Oh Yeah thats right lets post that imeeditely. and the i came back here on this blog and finally saw it posted.

+ iNime on November 17th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

Hahah, I was on that line! I bought 2 60GBs…best 48 hour line wait ever. Happy BDay PS3 and PSN. Maybe I should celebrate with a litte Fat Princess??

(mmmm cake)

+ x_VarPo_x on November 17th, 2009 at 5:20 pm said:

happy birthday PS3!

+ rotary08 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Wow, three years? More to come I’m sure, Happy Birthday?

+ brianR on November 17th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Happy Anniversary !!!

+ unidigital on November 17th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

HBDAY Sony (ps3) and PSN!!! Coincidentally today is also the day assassin’s creed 2 launches :D…Today my PS3 is more than just my gaming console, but its also where I watch youtube videos, check on my fb, check on my twitter and also were I socialize through the PSN…I have loved the week I have had with my new ps3 (7 weeks old) after playing on my cousin’s for more than 2 yrs…

+ phinnv8 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

Good 3 years… Now where is Cross Game Voice Chat

+ TubaDude49 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

Happy Birthday!
Feels like spam with so many identical comments, whatever, Happy Birthday!

+ retro25 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

HAPPY 3RD ANNIVERSARY PS3 AND PSN!!! Keep up the good work.^-^

+ starBlinky01 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

woo!! I was one of those guys lining up. I lined up twice actually since the first night I was too late.. I stayed up till 5 am went down to EB Games.. and the line was huge! And they only had 4 PS3′s so everyone else just got a Wii..

I was determined though, the next day I stayed up again and got my PS3 60 GB!! woot!

I can’t even tell you how many hours I put into Resistance online man..

+ NoobianGod on November 17th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

Here’s to a great 4th year!

May it still be free!

May it continue to have proper ad’s as we’ve seen since the price drop!

And most importantly may the powers that be continue to listen to us the players to bring us the features we want most!

Happy Birthday PSN!

+ Kegsy on November 17th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

My launch day PS3 is still going strong, thanks for such a great console Sony.

+ snowbrdr1 on November 17th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

Happy birthday to the playstation 3 and the playstation network. I remember when i first got into the playstation family during the PS1 launch and i’ve been hooked ever since, great job sony, your an amazing company

+ Jeigh on November 17th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

Okay, I’m as avid a PS3 supporter as the next six guys, but I almost drowned wading through all of that PR-speak. It’s fine during an event like E3 (well…), but when it’s us you don’t really need to be quite so mechanical. Perhaps something closer to human-voice next time?

+ YoungMellz on November 17th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said: