PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Happy 3rd Anniversary PS3 and PlayStation Network!

Kim Nguyen's Avatar + Posted by Kim Nguyen on Nov 17, 2009 // Marketing Manager, PlayStation 3

As many of you know, today marks the third anniversary of PS3 and PlayStation Network. It’s amazing to think how far we’ve come in three short years. At launch three years ago, PS3 was a cutting edge gaming console, ushering in the idea of a forward thinking format like Blu-ray that few people had heard of. We were committed to that concept and how it would impact the gaming landscape for the next generation. Today, Blu-ray Disc is the next gen standard media format giving PS3 game developers a larger canvas to create games that continually push the envelope on rich, immersive gaming experiences.

In its infancy, PlayStation Network began as a free service to gamers offering an online commerce option for games and game content. Today, it offers an unrivaled social networking experience in PlayStation Home, a robust video delivery service for purchasing and renting SD and HD content from every major studio, social networking applications like Facebook, instant streaming content from Netflix, and a rich selection of more than 450 games for PS3 and PSP…oh, and yes, it’s still free.

Momentum is going strong and signs are only pointing up for us. In October, we saw a 70 percent increase in PS3 sales over last October. This was fueled by a marketing campaign that many of you have commented on, but also by a new slimmer and lighter form factor with a larger hard-drive for $100 less. We’re seeing hundreds of thousands of you joining the PlayStation family every day, and we welcome you to check out all of the amazing things that PlayStation has to offer.

We are really hitting our stride here and with how far you’ve seen us come in three short years, imagine how far we’ll go with the next three. It all starts with this holiday and blockbusters like UNCHARTED 2 and Ratchet & Clank, and only gets better in Q1 with MAG, Heavy Rain and God of War III.

Really, what I’m here to say is, thanks for all of your support. Without your enthusiasm and feedback, PS3 wouldn’t be what it is today.

Camping out for a PS3

277 Comments

+ SEVENTY7 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:05 pm said:

Been there since the beginning and the 60GB is still running strong. HAPPY BDAY PLAYSTION AND PSN! Thanks for EVERYTHING!

+ ADR143 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:07 pm said:

whoo!!!

+ evilman278 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:08 pm said:

congrats!!! hope it keeps growing and stays free, reason #1 my 360 covered with dust is because i dont feel like paying for something i can get for free on ps3. also it wouldnt hurt to bring cross game chat =D

+ Northstar77 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:09 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3. too bad my 60gb just died on me I love it though almost cried when the yellow light came on. $161 dollars is a small price to pay to fix the greatest machine I’ve ever owned. I guess my 160gb model will get a little more work until I send in my 60gb.

+ kb4983 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:10 pm said:

Happy Birthday to both the PSN and the PlayStation 3! Can’t wait to see what 2010 will bring!!

+ AG-WarFighter on November 17th, 2009 at 8:12 pm said:

HAPPY B-DAY PS3!!!!!!!!!!!

+ UnKn0nSldr86 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:12 pm said:

I’m too busy playin all the ps3 games to even rememnber HAHA!!

+ krae_man on November 17th, 2009 at 8:22 pm said:

You know Sony, today would have been a good day to start doing PSN updates on Tuesday from now on instead of making PSP Go purchasers wait 2 days to buy games compared to Retail releases.

Why do we have to wait 2 days to download LBP PSP? This seems like a no brainer to me, but apparently its not for you.

+ Gino-opolis on November 17th, 2009 at 8:25 pm said:

Awww, after I saw this it made me feel almost as warm as I felt when I got a perfect score on my Math Proofs class exam. Happy birthday PS3 and PSN, I got you late, but it’s because I was saving up that extra cash to get you instead of everything elses besides paying for school. I will continue to support you because even though some feel they get shafted (me seldom) you continue to make it up with your continuous experimentation rather than stifle your designers freedom to experiment like the competition does. Keep putting out the scrumptious products, I’ll always be here as long as you continue to push new technology to the next level in your products, even if slightly more expensive. Gino-opolis :]
Most anticipated title is Heavy Rain for me!

+ RandySore on November 17th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3 and Playstation Network!
I’m a very proud owner.

I believe PSN will be at another level by March next year I know Sir Howard Stringer will have something to show at CES 2010 for PSN.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:26 pm said:

HAPPY BDAY PS3 4 LIFE XD

+ RRstrong on November 17th, 2009 at 8:27 pm said:

I was there. This, my first gen ps3 console. Still thriving like the tank it is. I know many of you can say that it was the best investment since head phones. It just keeps getting better. I know That I will see you all in the next three years. No thanks necessary, I speak on the behalf of us here by saying, Thank you for keeping up with our HIGH demand… Our feedback will continue, and I can say that the playstation dynasty will never come up short….it never has

+ WrightYagami on November 17th, 2009 at 8:35 pm said:

Sony this honestly the most youve ever made me mad the past few weeks youve been saying that we’d get LBP for PSP the day of release on PSN it is now 11:35 EST and still no LBP what gives?

+ Feisar on November 17th, 2009 at 8:41 pm said:

Where is LITTLEBIGPLANET for my PSPGo!?

Come ON guys! This was the ‘premium’ upgrade..! If I still had my 3000 I could have bought the game this morning where I work. This is kind of sad….

+ Enigma777 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:42 pm said:

HAPPY BIRTHS PS3!

I just want to thank you for the countless hours of entertainment that you have provided me!

Sincerely,

A loyal fan

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 17th, 2009 at 8:44 pm said:

Kim…are you a marketing manager for SCEA?

If so…half the features you’ve listed are not available to a good chunk of the population you are responsible for.

+ bomba2812 on November 17th, 2009 at 8:48 pm said:

happy B-day PS3 and PSN

+ deafwing on November 17th, 2009 at 9:08 pm said:

Nice post guys ..b rings back memories, a slow start but PS is heating up again.

+ Spaulding on November 17th, 2009 at 9:15 pm said:

Happy birthday!

You know what would have been a nice present? Cross-game voice chat… :-(

+ LRGKING on November 17th, 2009 at 9:18 pm said:

Happy Birthday….ME!
=D
And its funny cause I got my ps3 2 years ago TODAY!
haha.

So in a way its also my PS3′s and everyone elses PS3 birthday today!
=D

+ tropicalskin on November 17th, 2009 at 9:26 pm said:

In this happy day 17 November i bought the PS3 Slim 250GB , so it’s a double happy day for me !!
Happy Birthday dear Sony !!
Forever a big fan!

+ DARZERO on November 17th, 2009 at 9:27 pm said:

Happy b-day PS3. 7 yrs to go, thanks sony for all the great yrs of gaming.

Bring cross game chat please. it will make playing with friends so much easier.
I want left 4 dead on ps really bad, make it happen.
Please bring chrono trigger and chrono cross to psn soon.
Im a proud 60gb owner and willing to upgrade to the 250gb really soon.

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 17th, 2009 at 9:29 pm said:

Wow, what a bunch of marketing noise. How about we take about the issues with the PS3 and the PSN.

First, the launch of the biggest title of the year, no not Uncharted 2, was a complete fail whale. Four patches later and CoD:MW2 is somewhat playable now on PSN. However, due to piss poor network infrastructure and the lack decent wireless adapter support in the PS3 hardware, there is still numerous issues with laggy games. FIX THE PS3 WIRELESS DRIVERS. It’s broken, it’s been proven time and time again. Contact me on PSN for proof. Heck, I’ll even fix it for you for free. I’m just sick and tired of the horrid performance from your wireless driver that I use RJ45. Unfortunately most people don’t even know what RJ45 is so they’ll just use wireless.

Next comment…

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 17th, 2009 at 9:30 pm said:

Second, let’s talk about communication. This “blog” was suppose to be a communication channel to the users. Instead it’s just a giant marketing dumping ground. How about telling us when there will be scheduled maintenance IN ADVANCE? “Announcing” maintenance on Twitter hours AFTER the store went down isn’t scheduled. It was broken. How do I know this? Well, the authentication servers for PSN where down on the web WAY BEFORE you “announced” the store was down. I expected WAY MORE from a multi-billion dollar corporation for which I paid $499 for the PS3 and PSN service.

Next comment…

+ Kodaime on November 17th, 2009 at 9:31 pm said:

Happy late birthday!!

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 17th, 2009 at 9:31 pm said:

Third, let’s talk about costs. You say PSN is free. It’s really not “free”. Us early adopters paid through the nose for our PS3′s thus front loading the cost of Sony building the PSN. Sadly, the PSN is still way behind in terms of infrastructure and network elegance. I can only imagine the huge cluster that went on during the CoD:MW2 launch incident. So, seriously, some guy in Japan controls the global presence server for PSN? That’s completely laughable. I will pay Sony $50/year for A REAL NETWORK. CHARGE ME REAL MONEY FOR A REAL SERVICE. I pay Microsoft and gladly accept their service which runs circles around the PSN just on infrastructure and network design alone. Screw adding worthless features like profile coloring and Facebook. GET YOUR NETWORK TOGETHER PEOPLE.

I look forward to the next PSN outage so I can sell my PS3 on Craigslist and buy a second Xbox 360. You’re on notice.

+ animewatcher on November 17th, 2009 at 9:33 pm said:

Happy Birthday PlayStation 3

+ poweredbyzen on November 17th, 2009 at 9:40 pm said:

no flippin way! has it been three years already?! wow, time flies when you’re having fun – i’m having truck loads! here’s to a lot more years! salut!

+ kidhero99 on November 17th, 2009 at 9:43 pm said:

Thanks for the memories Tell them to send the next most dangerous.

+ Novaoblivion on November 17th, 2009 at 9:44 pm said:

Happy Birthday PS3! My launch day 60GB (320GB now) still runs great.

+ Ramses_13 on November 17th, 2009 at 9:46 pm said:

Happy birthday PS3 and PSN! Although my PS3 got the YLOD and am on my second refurbished PS3 I’m still a loyal PS3 owner, also keep up the hilarious PS3 commercials and give that guy a raise.

+ Ramses_13 on November 17th, 2009 at 9:53 pm said:

@177 go get in bed with bill gates, freaking 360 troll

+ kandal978 on November 17th, 2009 at 10:01 pm said:

happy bday

+ jruizdes on November 17th, 2009 at 10:02 pm said:

Happy 3rd anniversary!!, I love IT!!!.

+ Darth_Snider on November 17th, 2009 at 10:03 pm said:

I love waiting for DD!!!

+ LoTuZ on November 17th, 2009 at 10:09 pm said:

HAPPY 3RD PS3!!! You’ve come a long way since launch in regards to the XMB. Trust me, I know. KEEP IT UP! You know what we want! XGC!! :) I know it will come!

+ LoTuZ on November 17th, 2009 at 10:10 pm said:

oh dang…187…not cool….

+ Chase167 on November 17th, 2009 at 10:28 pm said:

Happy b-day ps3

+ mmusa on November 17th, 2009 at 10:40 pm said:

I got my 60GB PS3 back in Nov 2006. I knew it was a great decision then and still believe so now. By end of Q1 2010, the PS3 will be the gaming console of choice for the masses. With MAG, Heavy Rain, God of War III, Gran Turismo 5, and Final Fantasy XIII all out by then.

Keep up the good work!!!

+ HazeDG13 on November 17th, 2009 at 10:42 pm said:

I was in a line like that and didn’t get squat. I was 30th and the store only got 10. Glad I still have my 60 GB though.
Happy 3rd Bday PS3.

+ MrBeatdown on November 17th, 2009 at 10:44 pm said:

@175

How often is PSN down? Like once a month for a few hours? This is such an inconvenience to you that you demand advance warning? Do you plan your day around using PSN or what? What’s even funnier though is you’re claiming how wonderful Live is and yet you seem to know all about MW2 on PS3. Now if I had both consoles and found Live to be so superior, I’d have MW2 for 360, rather than buy it for a console that I’m on the brink of selling. And if Live was so great, I wouldn’t be as wound up about a few hours of PSN down time. Doesn’t exactly add up now does it? Care to enlighten us as to why such minor issues with PSN are such a burden on the life of someone who finds Live (and its price tag) to be so wonderful?

+ foolio_67 on November 17th, 2009 at 10:53 pm said:

I still have my t-shirt that you guys gave out on the 1st birthday!! :D

+ Fsk-Kain on November 17th, 2009 at 11:01 pm said:

Thanks for every moment passed on Ps3!

+ nixxerman on November 17th, 2009 at 11:10 pm said:

happy birthday.. PS3.

thanks for great games Sony.

+ DaGreatHokage on November 17th, 2009 at 11:20 pm said:

Happy B’Day Sony. I loved the console ever since i play DragonBall-GT (JapenseVersion) IDK what it said back then but OMG!!! Whos SSJ4 goku??? lol

+ oly1kenobi on November 17th, 2009 at 11:30 pm said:

Hey.. just to let everyone know, http://www.ps3blog.net is giving away a Konnet Power Pyramid for PS3 just for using their forum.. they also have info on getting a free Battle Field Bad Company 2 beta code.. and are giving away free uncharted 2 skins.. check it out, its a pretty cool site!

+ ELPRESADOR_ on November 17th, 2009 at 11:34 pm said:

THE BEAST KNOWN AS SONY

TREY 4 LIFE 360 FORGOTTEN

+ Bryoq on November 17th, 2009 at 11:40 pm said:

I just got my PS3 today, what a coincidence it is the 3rd anniversary. I am loving it so far, thanks.

+ trustkill on November 17th, 2009 at 11:44 pm said:

got mine for christmas from my wife. my bro hooked her up with one his job was holding in reserve for employees. the knucklehead shipped it just by it’s self (i.e. no box to hide the ps3 box). some guy at the UPS tried to steal it but got caught. i almost didn’t have a christmas! but things worked out fine and it’s been going strong ever since – even to my deployment in Iraq, where many a 360′s go to die.

+ bashbro25 on November 17th, 2009 at 11:48 pm said:

it feels like only yesterday were everyone was waiting in line fighting over the ps3 o happy days. ps3 just getting stronger for it only does everything