PS4 - Destiny

Happy 3rd Anniversary PS3 and PlayStation Network!

Kim Nguyen's Avatar + Posted by Kim Nguyen on Nov 17, 2009 // Marketing Manager, PlayStation 3

As many of you know, today marks the third anniversary of PS3 and PlayStation Network. It’s amazing to think how far we’ve come in three short years. At launch three years ago, PS3 was a cutting edge gaming console, ushering in the idea of a forward thinking format like Blu-ray that few people had heard of. We were committed to that concept and how it would impact the gaming landscape for the next generation. Today, Blu-ray Disc is the next gen standard media format giving PS3 game developers a larger canvas to create games that continually push the envelope on rich, immersive gaming experiences.

In its infancy, PlayStation Network began as a free service to gamers offering an online commerce option for games and game content. Today, it offers an unrivaled social networking experience in PlayStation Home, a robust video delivery service for purchasing and renting SD and HD content from every major studio, social networking applications like Facebook, instant streaming content from Netflix, and a rich selection of more than 450 games for PS3 and PSP…oh, and yes, it’s still free.

Momentum is going strong and signs are only pointing up for us. In October, we saw a 70 percent increase in PS3 sales over last October. This was fueled by a marketing campaign that many of you have commented on, but also by a new slimmer and lighter form factor with a larger hard-drive for $100 less. We’re seeing hundreds of thousands of you joining the PlayStation family every day, and we welcome you to check out all of the amazing things that PlayStation has to offer.

We are really hitting our stride here and with how far you’ve seen us come in three short years, imagine how far we’ll go with the next three. It all starts with this holiday and blockbusters like UNCHARTED 2 and Ratchet & Clank, and only gets better in Q1 with MAG, Heavy Rain and God of War III.

Really, what I’m here to say is, thanks for all of your support. Without your enthusiasm and feedback, PS3 wouldn’t be what it is today.

Camping out for a PS3

277 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6

+ boystar_324 on November 18th, 2009 at 12:07 am said:

Happy Birthday PS3!
You are the best gaming console ever!~
Wish you the best future!

+ maddymad on November 18th, 2009 at 12:18 am said:

Happy birthday PS3!

+ SNmnIE6 on November 18th, 2009 at 12:19 am said:

Long live Sony and Playstation! Ever since I played twisted metal on the original playstation, I was hooked! Natal has nothing on PS3!!

+ Cpt_Ramz on November 18th, 2009 at 12:25 am said:

Happy Birthday PS3, keep growing and getting better.

+ QCVic on November 18th, 2009 at 12:43 am said:

Happy Bday PS3! Keep going strong!!

+ smaki43 on November 18th, 2009 at 12:49 am said:

I’m starting to question my 250 spent on my pspgo. I bought a 50 dollar card for a game and now have no idea when I can get it. Happy birthday ps3. thanks for screwing me out of 300 dollars!

+ virgils_mustache on November 18th, 2009 at 12:51 am said:

The ps3 is the sole reason i got back into gaming. Easily one of the best products i have ever bought and it’s never given me any problems. I hope sony’s 10 year model for the ps3 goes by slow because it’s gonna be a bittersweet day when i go out and buy a ps4.

+ MasamuneChad on November 18th, 2009 at 12:55 am said:

Been a good 3 years.

+ vigilante_man on November 18th, 2009 at 1:59 am said:

I share my Birthday with PS3!!

As a UK gamer with no access to GOW collection just released, how about popping me a demo code for GOW 3 to my email.. just as a birthday present!

Bought mine for MGS4 and have never looked back..

+ that-acmilan-guy on November 18th, 2009 at 2:01 am said:

Are we getting anything?

+ syk1288 on November 18th, 2009 at 2:16 am said:

Congrats.

I love my Ps3 and would love it more if you guys release Angel Senki in the Americas.

PLEASE!

Thanks in advanced.

P.S – Also hurry up and get Private/Party Chat on the Ps3 before all those Xbox 360 customers who are switching to the Ps3 now would get pissed that the Ps3 doesn’t have a feature that the 360 had 4 years ago.

+ lmike1234 on November 18th, 2009 at 2:22 am said:

Its been a good 3yrs, so far!
Waited 18 hrs, in line, on launch day for my 60gb, and it was worth it..
Still Running Strong!

+ BLACKMAR on November 18th, 2009 at 2:51 am said:

happy birthsday. I still have my first generation PS3. It is still freakin amazing from day 1

+ thefjk on November 18th, 2009 at 3:13 am said:

Kicking a** one console at a time!

+ angelcoma on November 18th, 2009 at 3:16 am said:

CONGRATS!

Happy Birthday, can’t wait for firmware 3.10 and beyond.

+ Pitch_Blak on November 18th, 2009 at 3:53 am said:

To bad my 60 GB didn’t even last three years. Hopefully you guys won’t screw me over in another three years with my Slim.

+ Deadly-Survivor on November 18th, 2009 at 4:03 am said:

i would support this and be all nice but i havent seen one thing yet. SOCOM Confrontation DLC. Its pissing me off because you guys are cheap and dont help out slant six or support slant six. YOU GUY MAKE ME SICK XBOX RULES !!!

+ Ruffday on November 18th, 2009 at 4:10 am said:

I paid a grip for my Ps3 when it first dropped, and paid a grip when it first broke. I still play the heck out of it though. Long Live Ps3, $150 if it breaks

+ pudljumper on November 18th, 2009 at 4:15 am said:

playstation rules

+ pudljumper on November 18th, 2009 at 4:21 am said:

Deadly-Survivor go f yourself

+ Andrefpvs on November 18th, 2009 at 4:54 am said:

Awesome!

Now can I get a way to BACKUP MY SAVES from my DEAD PS3‘s hard disk??

+ GGCAN on November 18th, 2009 at 4:54 am said:

Happy Birthday PS3 and Playstation Network.

Love my PS3 !

+ cowboyd21 on November 18th, 2009 at 5:03 am said:

@ 206 LOL hey your welcome hahahaha hey you know 99.6 % of us would had figure that out before we sign up for the card . Hey stop reacting first and try thinking lol if you start doing that first you won’t find yourself in a hole all the time also stop blaming others for your mistake hahahaha how it’s sony problem ? hey don’t comment back i really don’t won’t to know.

+ leckstore on November 18th, 2009 at 5:34 am said:

Happy Birthday

+ joaryche on November 18th, 2009 at 5:41 am said:

happy birthday…ps3 is still one of my best purchasing decisions..ps3 just does everything..keep doing what you are doing Sony

+ POLYERGOS on November 18th, 2009 at 6:01 am said:

Happy Belated Birthday. I’m wishing you a day later since everything in Canada is late too. :D Just kidding. I don’t really care!

+ Monetep on November 18th, 2009 at 6:08 am said:

Happy B-day Ps3!
A wise decision to pick ps3 :D

+ Severeon on November 18th, 2009 at 6:53 am said:

Yeah, three years ago yesterday I was sitting outside of Wal-Mart for the third day in a row.

It was a balmy 42F with windows around 25MPH and rain.

We all decided that we should give each other code names, rather than our real names. The odd thing was, even though I had never seen them before or seen them since, I consider them brothers and sisters.

I feel like I am as dedicated to the PlayStation brand as I can be.

+ awsome_robot on November 18th, 2009 at 7:04 am said:

its too bad that after 3 years, the ps srore isn’t running more effectively. who the hell approved store updates only on thursdays (never on a consistent time), when all if not 99% of new releases are out on tuesdays?

+ nickert0n on November 18th, 2009 at 8:25 am said:

Happy Birthday! My PS3 is like one of my children, I couldent live without it!

+ DTXSFC on November 18th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

Happy B-Day!

I remember getting mines on day one from the playstation store. It was a good day to skip work and playing Need 4 Speed Carbon.

+ mgsfoxhound2 on November 18th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

keep it up great job!!! Thanks everyone

+ TrueLink00 on November 18th, 2009 at 9:14 am said:

If you think that picture leaves me with fond memories you’re wrong. I waited a day and a half for a PS3 and didn’t get one. :(

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 18th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Pretty funny all the brown nosing going on in this thread. PSN is a broken platform, just be true to yourself and admit it. It needs a major overhaul and becoming a paid service is exactly what it needs.

I know most of you kids aren’t able to afford $49/year. But consider this, just purchase one less crappy game per year. Problem solved. You’ll get for more enjoyment out of your other games if they can work on the PSN without incident. This would include completely crashing the day of launch for the biggest selling game of all time, this would reduce lag across all games, and we’d get all the features we really want like cross game chat, true online presence, cross game invites, etc.

I’m not a fanboy of any platform. All of them have problems, including the handhelds. The consumers of these products need to step up and take these companies to task for failing to live up to their high price tags and lackluster performance.

+ AdversaryofGod on November 18th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

Yeah! PS3 FTW!
Happy Anniversary my young friend!

+ Zookey on November 18th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

Happy 3rd return of this holy day!

+ IcKY99 on November 18th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

I was a late adopter when it came to the PS3, I didnt get my system untill the $400 40 Gigs came out, i think i got it in May 2008, up untill then I had been still playing PS2!

so after a little more than a year I still love the PS3, hell i even bought a PS3-Slim!!

+ ElektroDragon on November 18th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Yeah, congrats. Can you add multi-user sign in and multi-user trophy earning support next, please? You know, so that I get something that works like my “other” console did back in 2005?!

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 18th, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

@ElektroDragon “Can you add multi-user sign in and multi-user trophy earning support next, please?”

Nice request! Sadly the PSN infrastructure can hardly support one user signed in and you need to manually sync trophies with the network as it stands today (FAIL)… Allowing for multi-user and multi-trophies on the same PS3 might cause it to combust.

+ JayD-1K on November 18th, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Happy B-Day PS3.

+ burnedearth on November 18th, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Congratulations Sony on 3 years!
Everyone knows it hasn’t been easy so I hope everyone is enjoying their success up at Sony along with all the people who made the success possible.

I bought my first Playstation Console about 11 years ago, got PS2 at launch and went through 5 over the past 8 years, and have had my PS3 a little over a year.
To celebrate my PS3′s 1 year anniversary I bought a can of compressed air to clean all the dust out which I highly recommend other fat PS3 owners do too. I had to find something to do while waiting on all these great games which have been coming out.

+ KILLA_KING_007 on November 18th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

yea thanks for making the ps3 its like one of the best things i own

+ KILLA_KING_007 on November 18th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

today is my birthday too Sony

+ triple_lei on November 18th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

Don’t forget to vote in Mashable’s Open Web Awards – the PS blog made it to the next round!

+ ArSEnAL_nAsRi8 on November 18th, 2009 at 10:55 am said:

3 years has flown by, and my launch day 60 gig is still up and running, and as a playstation supporter, and a RPG lover, plus with a few deleted files, I’ve still got a good 18 gig to run on, happy days! but i may need to buy a new hard drive after chrimbo… but still, a rapid and enjoyable 3 years have zoomed by, and I wish a safe and great lifetime with playstation to come.

+ ArSEnAL_nAsRi8 on November 18th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

p.s the life thing was for every one

p.p.s MERRY CHRISTMAS

+ TheGuardianFID on November 18th, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

I’m a little late but just wanted to pay my respects and say happy anniversary to the PS3 and I wanted to say thank you to you guys and gals at Sony for all of the hard work you guys put in on a daily basis and keep it up you guys are doing a fantastic job!!! :D

+ Darkhearts on November 18th, 2009 at 11:40 am said: