GTAV PS4

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite Players…Unite!

Chris Kramer's Avatar + Posted by Chris Kramer on Nov 19, 2009 // Sr. Director Communications and Community - Capcom Entertainment

For the better part of a year, Japanese PlayStation 3 owners have been enjoying an amazing service on their PS3s, called adhocParty. As of this afternoon, all of us PSPers here in North America will finally be able to jump on the adhocParty bandwagon as well. This news is especially exciting for Capcom, as it means that Monster Hunter Freedom Unite players will now be able to connect with each other without having to be hanging out in the same room.

What is adhocParty? Smarter people than me can tell you all about the service right here.

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite

You’ve probably heard stories about the unbelievable Monster Hunter juggernaut in Japan, and how it’s reached the point that one in every five Japanese PSP owners are playing the game. Capcom has sold millions and millions of copies of the three PSP titles in Japan to date, and Monster Hunter 2G (which we confusingly call Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in North America and Europe) was one of Capcom’s biggest game launches in recent history. Monster Hunter Freedom Unite is available digitally on the PSN, which is perfect for those of you who have just picked up the amazing pocket-perfect PSPGo or for those of you (like me) who are too lazy to get off the couch and hike down to the local video game retailer.

Kushala_Daora-2_bmp_jpgcopy

Personally, I’m a recent MonHun convert – in the last few months, it’s sucked me in like no handheld game I’ve ever played. My dedication to the game is comparable to the reaction I had to EverQuest and World of Warcraft: I just can’t get enough. A group of Capcom staffers have been happily hunting away since the release of the game, and we’re now all over 100 hours in on our characters, with the group in the Hunter Rank 8 and 9.

The best part of Monster Hunter is, of course, playing with other people. The secret sauce to MHFU’s uber-compelling gameplay comes in coordinating a group of four hunters, each bristling with diverse weapons and equipment and slaying tricksy beasties that range from a meager 20’ tall Yian Kut Ku to the overwhelming monstrosity that is Fatalis, a dragon so big that you have to fire cannonballs at his face just to get his attention. Finding other hunters in public places in North America can be tough – it’s not as easy as in Japan, where gamers are constantly thrust together in trains and highly concentrated urban areas. Unless you have a group of buddies that you’re hunting with regularly, it’s hard to randomly stumble across other players on the bus or waiting in line to buy a burger. And as a recent convert to the ways of Monster Hunter, let me tell you that taking on the high level G-ranked quests on your lonesome is a daunting and potentially PSP-hurling activity.

2009-03-09.21-57-40-953_bmp_jpgcopy

With adhocParty, you can now quickly and easily find other hunters. Download the adhocParty service from PSN (it’s free!), connect your PSP with your PS3, load up your game on your PSP and either start a room on adhocParty or join one that’s already established. Within no time, you’ll be able to find a group of dedicated hunters willing to help you with your HR quests and suddenly that giant G-ranked Rathian isn’t so hard to deal with. You can connect several PSPs to a single PS3, so if you have 2 or 3 fellow hunters hanging out in your dorm room or at your house, while another friend is stranded at a distant location, you can all still play. Way to keep the band together!

Since adhocParty runs on your PS3, you’ll be able to communicate with your hunting party in various ways. Yell through your Bluetooth headset (which I’m sure everyone now has, thanks to Call of Duty), or type away the controller keyboard or on a separate keyboard – just make sure to type fast if you’ve got a wyven munching on your face. Running quests on Monster Hunter can be challenging, so instant communication through the adhocParty service makes those all-important key quests even easier to complete.

Over on our own little community neighborhood – the seething and exciting world of Capcom-Unity.com – we organize regular online game sessions on Fridays afternoons. These Play Against Capcom Fridays have been heavy on the Street Fighter and Resident Evil matches over the last few months, but with adhocParty now live and legit, we’ll be hosting regular Monster Hunter Freedom Unite PAC events. Hell, with the amount of Monster Hunting done by myself (“Kramez”), Shawn “Snow” Baxter and Christian “Sven” Svensson, we’ll probably be running adhocParty sessions several times a week. Join up with our community and keep in touch and perhaps we’ll see you in the wild.

Did we mention that adhocParty is free? We’ll see you online this afternoon.

PAGE 1 2

+ hibachiZX on November 19th, 2009 at 1:04 pm said:

very excited adhoc finally made it over

+ Thrasher20 on November 19th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

My friend and I are thinking about getting this game, but my PSP is broken as well as my 360 and PS3 :(

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:28 pm said:

Wow, sounds like a total video game breakdown. Do you live under power lines or on top of a Hellmouth? ;)

If I worked for Sony I would say, \”This is a perfect time for you to embrace the new PSPGo and purchase one of the new PS3s with a larger hard drive!\”

+ xeno3d on November 19th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

Awesome!!

+ mailman27 on November 19th, 2009 at 1:09 pm said:

Will any of the other Capcom games that offer ad-hoc multiplayer be supported by adhoc party?

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:29 pm said:

Yes! Support is coming for almost every Capcom PSP game that offers AdHoc play. That includes Fate Stay/night, Puzzle World, Darkstalkers, Street Fighter Alpha Max, etc.

+ acerazer1 on November 19th, 2009 at 1:16 pm said:

will we ever see a monster hunter on ps3?

+ CrimsoniteX on November 19th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

This is great, have been looking forward to it for a while :-)

I’m guessing it’s not out yet? Couldn’t find it on the PlayStation Store..

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:31 pm said:

Coming in moments… Almost… there…

+ Dice_for_Death_ on November 19th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

I’ve only counted the days, Sony. Thanks!

+ MeanMrMustard on November 19th, 2009 at 1:17 pm said:

Ad-hoc party should work with all games that support ad-hoc play. Including GT, LBP.

+ kassatsu on November 19th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

@4

All games work.

+ DeadlyAnGeL91792 on November 19th, 2009 at 1:18 pm said:

@4 any game that has adhoc works on adhoc party.

+ Zezzler on November 19th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Nice to see adhoc party in the states/Canada finally!
Question: does it require a wired internet connection like the japanese one?

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

Yes, you will need to have your PS3 connected to a wire. If you\’ve got walls between your PS3 and your modem (like I do), there are several awesome wireless bridges that you can pick up for less than $80 that will convince your PS3 that it\’s hard wired while still rocking your wireless network.

+ EvoAnubis on November 19th, 2009 at 1:21 pm said:

Thanks for the update Chris! Now where’s John D.?

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

He\’s busily working on a different post to shut down the blog. I promised the Sony team that I would not collapse the server today ;)

Chris Kramer's Avatar

+ Chris Kramer on November 19th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

+ DDark on November 19th, 2009 at 1:22 pm said:

Can’t wait! Not a MH fan but gonna be playing Dissidia with some friends and anyone else I can find on there!

+ Darth_Snider on November 19th, 2009 at 1:25 pm said:

I really hope that this will convince players to pick up Unite. It really is a great game. I personally beleive it’s the psp’s best. Amazing graphics, massive amount of content, and insanely challenging. The multiplayer is flawless. It doesn’t slow the game down one bit, and it is sometimes the only way to finish some quests in this game. Get it, you won’t be disappointed.

(And for people who complain about the camera or lack of lock on, you just suck at this game. Get over it :D)

+ reson8er on November 19th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

I know AD Hoc Party has come to the stats in no small part to CAPCOM’s efforts. For that, I say thank you, I will now enjoy some online gaming(including MHF) on my PSP ;)

+ decimalator on November 19th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

This is the best news I’ve heard in a LONG time. Awesome!

+ SPARDA on November 19th, 2009 at 1:26 pm said:

This is great, but is it true that the PS3 has to be connected to the internet via WIRE and not WiFi in order for the Ad-Hoc party to work?
I asked the question in the other blog post but never received and answer.

Can you please provide feedback?

Thanks
SPARDA

+ DDark on November 19th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

@SPARDA, yes, the PS3 has to be connected via a wire since the WiFi will be used to connect to the PSP.

+ DDark on November 19th, 2009 at 1:32 pm said:

@SPARDA, yes, the PS3 has to be connect to the internet via a wire since the WiFi will be used to connect to the PSP.

+ Kotsuumo on November 19th, 2009 at 1:36 pm said:

Cant wait

+ Ruffday on November 19th, 2009 at 1:38 pm said:

Of course Japan gets all the dope stuff, they make all the dope stuff.

+ Pendharker on November 19th, 2009 at 1:39 pm said:

I’m so VERY stoked about this. I’ve been using the Japanese version for a while and I LOVE it, except for the part where I can’t read a frellin’ thing. Now that it’s in english, I’ll be on board and slayin’ with the rest of you. CAN’T WAIT!!

+ Trigg on November 19th, 2009 at 1:42 pm said:

OMG adhocParty tonight & BBC2 Beta & Home/PS Store update! Overload!

+ Zarxce on November 19th, 2009 at 1:50 pm said:

I have online friends with PSPs…and online friends with PS3s…but none with both. I’m going to have to talk them all into buying whichever one they don’t have now.

Dissidia online is going to kick so much ass.

+ Yaholo on November 19th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

@2 – Two times may be coincidence but three times is a pattern. How badly do you treat your consoles?

+ SpeedNut on November 19th, 2009 at 1:55 pm said:

Thanks for finally bringing this to the states!

GT PSP owners are rejoicing as well :-)

+ SPARDA on November 19th, 2009 at 1:58 pm said:

@18 (DDark)

that’s too bad… i won’t be able to take advantage of the Ad-Hoc party system due the way my livingroom/TV is set up.

but thanks for the quick reply

SPARDA

+ Enigma777 on November 19th, 2009 at 2:02 pm said:

Now that Adhoc Party is out, I’ll probably pick this one up… Would be nice if there was some sort of sale or something of the PSN version in commemoration…

+ SogeKing on November 19th, 2009 at 2:03 pm said:

Neat

+ H1TnRUN on November 19th, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

Thanks for bringing this over, Sony! Great program that offers a much-needed feature improvement to an already great game. THANK YOU!

+ Darth-Krayt on November 19th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

Well, I was excited for this, but if I have to have my PS3 hardwired to use this feature, I’m out of luck, And @19, that’s not technically the reason, because I use remote play to use the PS3 web browser on my PSP pretty often, and my PS3 is wireless.

This sucks if true (that I have to be hardwired), because it’s impossible for me to be hardwired, but I’m one of the biggest Monster Hunter fans. On PS2, between my 3 characters, I had 1600 hours just online before the servers got shut down. I SOOO miss hunting online with friends.

Capcom needs to stop pretending a simple port of Monster Hunter Tri is “too expensive” for them to handle, which was their lame excuse for cancelling MH3 on PS3 and putting it on Wii exclusively (dishonorable traitors, thanks for abandoning the whole fanbase). All we want is a port of Tri on PS3 with the classic PS2 MH controls. Make it happen Capcom. Monster Hunter will sell more on PS3 than on Wii regardless of install bases.

+ Bhran on November 19th, 2009 at 2:06 pm said:

I’m on GMT+4, can someone tell me an aproximate of when I can download AHP?

+ TailsTheCat on November 19th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

Its about time. Ive been using adhoc since it launched…

And if youre serious, everything is hard wired.

+ lukeike on November 19th, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

finally, I don’t have to traverse the japanese menus anymore

+ mckg123456789 on November 19th, 2009 at 2:17 pm said:

Awesome! can’t wait to play online!

+ Delriach on November 19th, 2009 at 2:19 pm said:

>_> where is John D!?

+ T3mpr1x on November 19th, 2009 at 2:22 pm said:

Awesome, gonna try it with Gran Turismo! I tried the demo for MHFU, and I don’t think I like it…I can’t remember if it was in Japanese though, which may have spoiled the fun a bit more.

+ Bhran on November 19th, 2009 at 2:32 pm said:

@17,18,19 I think is for the system to run smooth using the Ethernet interface as Internet conection while using the Wifi Promiscuous Mode to handle the PSP communications, and yes, it is possible to connect more than 1 PSP to one PS3 System, so you can have Yours and your friends PSP connected to your PS3 and play with (or against) two other friends across the Internet. I don’t know the max number of psp’s that can be connected at once, I pressume 3.

+ dragonarya on November 19th, 2009 at 2:33 pm said:

Woah… wasn’t expecting adhocParty to go live so soon after the announcement. It’s good though!
Dissidia online! Can’t wait.

+ Pyro7x on November 19th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

um, its evening, past afternoon, and i still havnt seen any sign of adhoc party…

+ SnakeX1224 on November 19th, 2009 at 2:54 pm said:

Great, finally adhoc party is out!

And I have a question for you Chris, is there any word on the Resident Evil Ps1 games coming to PSN?

+ SnakeX1224 on November 19th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

Great news for PSP users such as myself. Any word on Resident Evil 2 or 3?

+ Jeigh on November 19th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

Ah, now, the game will actually be playable for me. The camera system really isn’t conducive to this type of gameplay, but having someone else nearby makes it a lot easier. Still, if the only time I can stand to play it is when I’m near my PS3, wouldn’t it just be better to have a PS3 version? (hint…hint) (HINT!!)

(HHHIIINNNNTTTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

+ Cecker on November 19th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

I have previously purchased any Monster Hunter game. I bough the PS3 only for the Monster Hunter franchise, why Capcom does not listen to his fans and starts finally with a PS3 version?

+ vagthedestroyer on November 19th, 2009 at 3:16 pm said:

Is this feature available for all games that feature ad hoc mode?

+ Pyro7x on November 19th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

Jeigh i thought you were hinting to try downloading it to my psp, *BUZZ* was i wrong…this is upsetting, from what i know its out today i have yet to see results :'( QQ

+ Bhran on November 19th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

I’ve downloaded AHP, and I noticing the absence of the 8 players room button : <

+ SnakeStrife on November 19th, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

I have been playing the Monster Hunter series since its US release of 2004. I picked up every game since then and I can say I finally glad I won’t have to use the japanese version of adHoc Party.

But at of this whole blog post the most interesting part is the term “MonHun”. That’s the 1st time I have ever heard that term used in the 5 years of following Monster Hunter lol.

+ KwietStorm on November 19th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

I’ve been waiting all this time, but I didn’t know you needed a wired connection to use the app until I launched it a minute ago -_-

PAGE 1 2