PS4-The Order

It Only Does Blu-ray Movies

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Nov 20, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Next week’s Thanksgiving holiday marks the kick-off to the traditional retail holiday selling season. It’s a key part of our year as many people who may not be hardcore gamers begin their research for the hottest gift items. Naturally, we expect the PS3 to be on a lot of those lists this year. This holiday’s PS3 campaign marks one of our most aggressive approaches in terms of our advertising reach and frequency, so we hope you’ve seen the new commercials while watching your favorite TV programs. I’ve been receiving a lot of emails from friends and family and hearing from a lot of you who are catching the commercials regularly and laughing even after the third or fourth helping. We couldn’t be more pleased by the overwhelming response, not just to the ads, but also evidenced by the sheer momentum behind our recent sales numbers. I’d like to personally welcome all of the new PS3 owners to what will be one of our best years ahead.

Beyond the amazing line up of Blu-ray games hitting this holiday, we’re also expecting some blockbuster Blu-ray movie releases, including Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Star Trek. We’ve also announced some really groundbreaking initiatives that make Blu-ray synonymous with movie watching. In December, consumers will have access to the first-ever hybrid disc that will feature Sony Picture’s District 9 movie and a demo of God of War 3. This is a true testament to the endless opportunities ahead for Blu-ray and entertainment. And if you’re already an existing Netflix consumer, now you can access both your Blu-ray disc movies and stream 17,000 movies and TV shows from one machine – the PS3.

Readers of this blog are of course, already aware that the PS3 comes built in with one of the industry’s best Blu-ray players. But we wanted a spot that would hammer home the Blu-ray movie advantage and speak to this broader audience that may not be as familiar with the PS3′s feature set. So we asked Kevin Butler to bestow some wisdom in this exchange with an unhappy teenager who is complaining his grandmother is hogging the PS3 to watch Blu-ray movies. You can catch this commercial on air starting next week. For you, our loyal fans, here’s the exclusive sneak peek:

We’d love to hear what your favorite spots are so far. We certainly are having a hard time just picking one. We still have a couple more special updates on the way, so make sure to check in next weekend. More to come.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Peter

211 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ Bollix on November 20th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

I <3 Blu Ray

+ Bollix on November 20th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

I heart Blu Ray

+ bayouboyz on November 20th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

I have been having trouble syncing up my trophies on PSN. It only goes up to 10% and, it saids an error has occured. Is anyone else having this problem?

+ enkill on November 20th, 2009 at 2:48 pm said:

A Stick! lol that was great!

Very good job on those commercials sony, keep doing that!

My favorite one is the one with uncharted 2 and the GF who thinks its actually a movie!

+ LunchBox55 on November 20th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

…And sometimes, that stick would give you blisters! So show some respect, punk!

+ krae_man on November 20th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

Do you have one for Canada that says “It finally does a video store”?

+ TakiFuGu on November 20th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

It does everything except cross game voice chat!

+ tazinlwfl on November 20th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

WITH A STICK!!!

One of my favorite features of my PS3 is the Bluray player!
And now the Netflix, which uses the BRLive…

This is my new favorite spot!

+ almighty-slayer on November 20th, 2009 at 2:51 pm said:

with a stick!!!

Hilarious, haha! I love these adverts.

*Slurp*

+ KALEL114 on November 20th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

A stick. LOL.
This one and the “Confirm or Deny” $299.99 price are my favorites.

+ RuthlessEd on November 20th, 2009 at 2:53 pm said:

Genius.

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on November 20th, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

This is one of the greatest adverts of all time.

Absolutely fantastic XD

+ almighty-slayer on November 20th, 2009 at 2:57 pm said:

My favourite spot is definitely still the first ever one, with the VP of Rumour Confirmation :D

+ almighty-slayer on November 20th, 2009 at 2:58 pm said:

Or maybeeee

TWO WORDS

MON TAGE

+ FredPunella on November 20th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

Another brilliant commercial.

Peter Dille needs a nice big fat bonus this year from Sony.

Back to waiting for God of War Collection to arrive from UPS…

+ Anubis80 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:00 pm said:

lol I love these commercials! They are funny as hell. Keep them up Sony! Blu-ray = GREATNESS!

WITH A STICK! hahaha

+ gamestopper09 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

wow! awesome commercial, sony.

Fix trophy syncing, pls.

+ mixedkidbx on November 20th, 2009 at 3:01 pm said:

I like the “wont hook up the internet” one.

at the end he’s like “COME ON!!”

+ Ejsponge61 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

STICK!
But seriously, glad you guys are making thes great commercials, and I’m loving the BC 2 beta!

+ jeremy23jacinto on November 20th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

WITH A STICK LOL

+ jordyGFC on November 20th, 2009 at 3:02 pm said:

Does it do Cross Game Chat? No? then it hardly does everything….

+ x_NiiGHTMARE_x on November 20th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

I love the new marketing campaing. “It only does everything” its genius! Everytime I see these commercial I cant help to laugh.

“with a STICK!” lol!!!!

+ Hideo2007 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:04 pm said:

Nice! Great commercial sony! *Salutes*

+ GoldenGotGame on November 20th, 2009 at 3:05 pm said:

I wish I could check it out, but ever since 3.10, the videos I use to be able to watch all say “This application is not supported”.

Peter Dille's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on November 20th, 2009 at 4:25 pm said:

We\’ve noticed this too, and are looking into it. In the meantime, you should be able to watch the ad through your PS3 browser right here.

+ SILO-5 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:06 pm said:

i still love the, “Candles” and “Montage” but all of them are funny.

+ arnoldmcguire335 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

Well almost all the ads. I just don’t stand the “Confirm or Deny” one, because once it’s altered, it doesn’t make sense.

still good ad… but Kevin doesn’t need to hurt that kid. that alone offended me.

+ echogridlock on November 20th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

I updated my PS3 to the current 3.whatever and I can no longer see any videos on this blog. It says application not supported where the video should be. SO IT ONLY DOES EVERYTHING EXCEPT SHOW VIDEOS THAT SAY “IT DOES EVERYTHING” ON THE OFFICIAL BLOG. So could you send ERIC L. a memo saying we need another update to fix this.

+ Abryinde on November 20th, 2009 at 3:07 pm said:

I laughed hard at this one.

It’s hard to choose a favorite – the “Dear PlayStation” ad campaign is so incredibly good…it sells me the PS3 no problem.

Plus witty humor is always a plus in my book. :)

+ LordElite on November 20th, 2009 at 3:08 pm said:

I love it.

My personal favourite is the LBP one.

+ ikaros on November 20th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

“It only does Blu-Ray movies”
Sony! Fix this at once! o.o We don’t want anyone forgetting about the sweet-a$$ gaming system, do we?!

+ Bug42 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

It only does in game voice chat…oh wait, it doesn’t do that

+ thestr1ker on November 20th, 2009 at 3:12 pm said:

This is probably the best one so far. The Uncharted 2 one was pretty sweet, but this one is hilarious.

With a stick!

+ NeroXopher on November 20th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Looking forward to God of War III Pandora’s box edition!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ tinyEvel on November 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

ROFL! That kid had it coming to him. Nice to see that Grandma likes Transformers 2. GO GRANDMA!. (he should’ve told the kid he was soft)

+ Parasitosis on November 20th, 2009 at 3:15 pm said:

I love these commercials always make me giggle

+ YoungMellz on November 20th, 2009 at 3:16 pm said:

lmao @ 7 but c’mon he does have a point.

+ FredPunella on November 20th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

jordyGFC: “Does it do Cross Game Chat? No? then it hardly does everything….”

Go back to your POS RRoDbox idiot.

No one gives a damn about that stupid little bullet point other than Xbots desperately trying to hype their garbage 50 dollar a year lag filled P2P based joke of an online service.

OMG!!! On teh Xbox 360 you can play Barbie’s Horse Adventures and chat with your buds who are playing My Pretty Pony and argue about which game has prettier ponies!!!

Go away jordyGFC, no one wants to listen to your stupid trolls.

+ WoWkiksbutt on November 20th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

OMG! that is hilarious… lol
we love u SCEA!

+ IceCold on November 20th, 2009 at 3:17 pm said:

My favorite in the confirm or deny (original), then uncharted tv spot, so funny. This is a close second though with the uncharted. push a hoop with a stick, A stick, STICK!!!! LOL. Good stuff sony, good stuff. Now only if you guys can drop the price of pspgo so i can hurry and buy one.

+ thegriefer on November 20th, 2009 at 3:18 pm said:

one of the best commercials

+ hife on November 20th, 2009 at 3:20 pm said:

Another winner! I think the montage one is probably my favorite.

P.S. Got Star Trek on bluray this week. Can’t wait to watch it tonight!

+ triple_lei on November 20th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

@30

Agreed… sounds like something an Xbot troll would say!

+ DMeisterJ on November 20th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

Stick!

+ Crotin on November 20th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

lol…I love his face when he was sipping the drink.

“go ahead, say something else” *sluuuuurrrrp*

+ MadeInScotland on November 20th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

That was kool lol, but I think my fav is the original “Unsatisfied girlfriend” spot.

+ ne4ious on November 20th, 2009 at 3:24 pm said:

LOL, this is funny just like all the other ones. Great F’n job SONY. “With a stick”!

+ starBlinky01 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:25 pm said:

ha, made me smile, wasnt as good as the other ones.. Actually it felt more like an amateur youtube video the way it cut back and forth but with a pause in between each cut.

+ Kchow23 on November 20th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

Yet another awesome advertisement! keep it up hilarious stuff

+ Conrad_Max on November 20th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

I love those commercials. Hard to pick a favorite. I’ve been downloading them to share with my inner circle.

+ GuttermouthSIN on November 20th, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

Another Hilarious PS3 ad. I wish these were brought over to the UK because our PS3 ads are terrible.

PAGE 1 2 3 5