PS4 - Transistor

It Only Does Blu-ray Movies

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Nov 20, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Next week’s Thanksgiving holiday marks the kick-off to the traditional retail holiday selling season. It’s a key part of our year as many people who may not be hardcore gamers begin their research for the hottest gift items. Naturally, we expect the PS3 to be on a lot of those lists this year. This holiday’s PS3 campaign marks one of our most aggressive approaches in terms of our advertising reach and frequency, so we hope you’ve seen the new commercials while watching your favorite TV programs. I’ve been receiving a lot of emails from friends and family and hearing from a lot of you who are catching the commercials regularly and laughing even after the third or fourth helping. We couldn’t be more pleased by the overwhelming response, not just to the ads, but also evidenced by the sheer momentum behind our recent sales numbers. I’d like to personally welcome all of the new PS3 owners to what will be one of our best years ahead.

Beyond the amazing line up of Blu-ray games hitting this holiday, we’re also expecting some blockbuster Blu-ray movie releases, including Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Star Trek. We’ve also announced some really groundbreaking initiatives that make Blu-ray synonymous with movie watching. In December, consumers will have access to the first-ever hybrid disc that will feature Sony Picture’s District 9 movie and a demo of God of War 3. This is a true testament to the endless opportunities ahead for Blu-ray and entertainment. And if you’re already an existing Netflix consumer, now you can access both your Blu-ray disc movies and stream 17,000 movies and TV shows from one machine – the PS3.

Readers of this blog are of course, already aware that the PS3 comes built in with one of the industry’s best Blu-ray players. But we wanted a spot that would hammer home the Blu-ray movie advantage and speak to this broader audience that may not be as familiar with the PS3′s feature set. So we asked Kevin Butler to bestow some wisdom in this exchange with an unhappy teenager who is complaining his grandmother is hogging the PS3 to watch Blu-ray movies. You can catch this commercial on air starting next week. For you, our loyal fans, here’s the exclusive sneak peek:

We’d love to hear what your favorite spots are so far. We certainly are having a hard time just picking one. We still have a couple more special updates on the way, so make sure to check in next weekend. More to come.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone,

Peter

211 Comments   1 Reply

+ bLiNdSiDe82 on November 20th, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

Digging the God of War 3 demo that’s packed in with GOW collection. Cool to see it also comes with district 9. The commercials are brilliant By the way.

+ ravagespawn on November 20th, 2009 at 5:25 pm said:

Awesome! This is the funniest one yet. My favorite has to be the one where the dad builds a park in the yard to entertain his family but they are all loving the ps3 guy. There’s a beagle in it.

+ cell989 on November 20th, 2009 at 5:28 pm said:

1.Two Words MON-TAGE

2.The secret organization trying to capitalize on Ratchet and Clank’s custom weapons.

3. The confused girlfriend thinking its a movie

Oh and those commercials would not be funny without Kevin.

+ cobracarlj on November 20th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

ok when does god of war 3 come out

+ almighty-slayer on November 20th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

WITH A STICK

+ NEJI64 on November 20th, 2009 at 5:40 pm said:

yea the upset girlfriend who mad her boyfriend did not connect the PS3 to the Internet.

+ MegaClank on November 20th, 2009 at 5:52 pm said:

A stick.

+ JoeDuke4 on November 20th, 2009 at 6:10 pm said:

Thats freakin hilarious. Same with Mon-Tage.

+ hjason1 on November 20th, 2009 at 6:16 pm said:

lol with a stick, yeah but with a stick. really funny. i like the one with the girl saying her boyfriend hasn’t hooked the ps3 up to the internet yet. now that is the best one yet. by the way videos and some pictures don’t show anymore after 3.10. pics say the same as videos. keep up the great work. also i like the idea of hybrid blurays. hope they don’t cost anymore then now. because they are pretty pricey yet. they came down $5 but need to come down more if you guys want it to take over as the main movie disc.

+ afrosheen on November 20th, 2009 at 6:25 pm said:

To the Canadians crying about the video store: talk to your legislators, your laws on copyrights are broken to the point that nobody producing media outside of Canada can sell or distribute in Canada. Sure, there is a lot of great Canadian media…but you’re pretty much SOL for what the rest of the planet watches and listens to.

To the Cross Game Chattards: Get a cellphone. Nobody wants to hear you yacking about your lasagna dinner when you’re in a squad-based game anyway.

To Sony: These ads are brilliant, keep your marketing group happy. I see bonuses in their futures.

+ Buddy175 on November 20th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said:

@ Natdart xbox only had it since 07 i read somewhere. this lack of cross game chat is what made me go xbox. i still have my 80gb motorstorm ps3 with ps2 games support. That another thing sony why did u take ps2 support away? microsoft didnt. i still prefer ps3 of xbox any day but lately do to sony lack in support i might think twice.

+ ultimatepunchrod on November 20th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

nice. i love these dear playstation spots. my favorite has been mon tage

+ Tadashi-1- on November 20th, 2009 at 7:23 pm said:

Just got the PS3 as a gift! Great commercials! My favorite is the Dustin Pedroia commercial. High and inside!

+ El_Flash on November 20th, 2009 at 7:25 pm said:

Pretty funny stuff, gotta hand it to Sony with these ads, pure comedy genius, i loved the uncharted 2 and the rachet and clank ones, but my favorite one has to be…. Two words MON-TAGE lol, that was epic

+ GoldenGotGame on November 20th, 2009 at 7:26 pm said:

Thanks for the response Jeff. Commercial was hilarious, as I expected.

+ Astaritobril on November 20th, 2009 at 7:30 pm said:

This commercial was fantastic but “Montage” is still my favorite. I’ve downloaded it to my PS3, PSP and have a shortcut for it on my laptop!

+ IceColdKilla44 on November 20th, 2009 at 7:42 pm said:

These commercials are great.

Wonder what Kevin Butler will have to say about God of War 3.

+ PSN_Tokeio on November 20th, 2009 at 8:01 pm said:

Hey Peter,

I have to agree with you this time. You’re right, the only thing the PS3 does well is Blu-ray.

+ cuddles1 on November 20th, 2009 at 8:04 pm said:

Bring these adverts to the u.k!!!!!!! Sony can only be bothered to give us montages of video gameplay how lazy is that!

+ Intakota on November 20th, 2009 at 8:05 pm said:

District 9 movie and a demo of God of War 3. Will this Be a US only thing or is Canada going to included in something for once?

+ Linconan on November 20th, 2009 at 8:13 pm said:

LOL, Sony your Ads are GOLD!
Seriously great job.
I’ve downloaded most of the from the store.
Please make sure you “Stick this one up too.

Must download,lol
I feel like Pokemon.
“Gotto have ‘em all!!!!”

+ stri on November 20th, 2009 at 8:28 pm said:

I feel compelled to be brutally honest here…I can’t stand the new slogan.
It’s not clever at all, and quite frankly just plain stupid.
I mean what is it? It only does everything? or It only does bluray as the header above says…
I don’t know; I don’t meant to be a downer, but it just doesn’t sit right.
I find it hard to believe that this idea is the best idea in the board room prior to acceptance.

Just sayin’

Having said that though…it doesn’t make the PS3 any less awesome. I just think a better slogan is needed.
If you need help, like I said before…I’m ya man.
Problem is, I’m not free lol.

Anyhow, thanks for reading.

…and lmao @ krae_man re: #6
I totally agree.

+ phinnv8 on November 20th, 2009 at 8:35 pm said:

The ads have been funny but it doesn’t do “everything” until it does Cross Game Voice Chat… Not until then.

+ Xulap on November 20th, 2009 at 8:39 pm said:

Ahahahahahahaa!!

I love all these ads a lot.

+ Darth_Snider on November 20th, 2009 at 8:40 pm said:

“Sony hasn’t put up LBP on the internet yet, just a demo”
“That’s like playing the PS3 version without the downloadable content. It still gets the job done, but come on!”
“They hate extra support too!”
“Come on!”
“I know, right?”
… “What’s wrong with them?!”

+ Darth_Snider on November 20th, 2009 at 8:42 pm said:

Updates? Weekend? Will LBP PSP be included?

+ Mies2000 on November 20th, 2009 at 8:43 pm said:

STICK!
LOL! Nice.

+ TheVoid777 on November 20th, 2009 at 9:25 pm said:

LOL…. I love Kevin Butler in these ads, but the look on that kids face! Haha..Priceless!

-void

+ retro25 on November 20th, 2009 at 9:41 pm said:

HAHAHAHA funny commercial!!! XD

+ UNCyrus on November 20th, 2009 at 10:14 pm said:

Yes, please continue to add all of these commercials to the PSN store so we can download and shard them. Thanks!

+ CrimsonFox13 on November 20th, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

Hilarious. I actually laughed out loud. Great commercial, though should advertise a bit more.

+ J15Jose on November 20th, 2009 at 10:34 pm said:

i love these commercials there so funny

+ CloudStorm87 on November 20th, 2009 at 10:58 pm said:

Stick! LMAO XD

Why can’t we get these ads in the UK?!? I think someone like Brian Cox or Stephen Fry play the role of Kevin Butler would be frickin amazing and people would instantly take notice.

+ AthrenZ on November 20th, 2009 at 11:13 pm said:

lol, I LOVE IT!!!! Especially since I just got home from a shin-dig and am able to view this while I’m still a “little” tipsy

+ T3mpr1x on November 20th, 2009 at 11:19 pm said:

I don’t know who you hired for the latest chain of ads, but whoever they are deserves a raise. The whole team. While you’re at it, give Jeff a nice fat raise too. :)

Anyway, my favorites would be:
1) The epic montage, obviously haha.
2) The denial of the pricedrop, I work articles for PSLS.info so it was even more sweet for me.
3) The hot GF who thinks Uncharted 2 is a movie…I’d file that under “not an issue” as well LMFAO.

:) Go PlayStation Nation!!!

+ ForgetfuI on November 20th, 2009 at 11:29 pm said:

PS3. It does everything. Except in Canada.

+ ThACeo on November 20th, 2009 at 11:46 pm said:

it was supposed to fix facebook and now i cant post status updates. the trophy thing was cool but the browser seems broken. what the H?

+ muzzar69 on November 21st, 2009 at 12:02 am said:

yea.
it only does every single time you download a firmware update it in stops something from working.
a new feature exclusive to ps3.
hey that would make a great ad ;)
come on sony this is beyond a joke.
once twice a blue moon i can understand but EVERY SINGLE TIME!
your now the laughing stock of the industry!

+ LukaX23 on November 21st, 2009 at 12:28 am said:

BEST ONE YET! OMG! HILARIOUS!

+ UnholierThanThou on November 21st, 2009 at 12:40 am said:

You people seriously need to shut the EFF up about cross game chat. WHO CARES??? Are you REALLY going to use it that much? Seriously, there is NO way it could be that beneficial. If you want it that bad, go buy a Crapbox and pay for laggy p2p service. Otherwise USE YOUR TELEPHONE!!! Have a Bluetooth headset? I bet you all do! Guess what? That makes your phone handsfree so you can still play games! I mean GAWD, just quit with the complaints and focus on suggesting USEFUL applications and updates such as allowing users to say they’re offline so they can use the PSN without being bothered, or implementing custom soundtracks through the XMB in all games! In the meantime, QUIT BEING LAZY AND USE YOUR PHONE! CROSS GAME CHAT WOULD INTERFERE WITH GAMING!

+ ThACeo on November 21st, 2009 at 12:42 am said:

firefox or google chrome would be nice to fix the browser

+ UnholierThanThou on November 21st, 2009 at 12:45 am said:

BTW, the commercial is awesome! (par for the course with this series) And I actually DID have the hoop/stick thing he’s referencing… It was fun. When I was 7. [DELETED], I’m old… *sigh*

+ ynp7 on November 21st, 2009 at 1:02 am said:

My PS3 only does excessive fan noise, can you guys do something about that? I’d rather have it only do smooth, quiet operation without having to take it apart for the sixth time!

+ Zev_Dara on November 21st, 2009 at 1:05 am said:

The people these ads are hilarious. “STICK!”

+ trounbyfire on November 21st, 2009 at 1:16 am said:

1.Chief Weaponologist
“Yes don’t exist, we’ll take all you got”

2. Desperate Dad TV Spot
“Scraps likes you”

both classics in my mind

+ trounbyfire on November 21st, 2009 at 1:17 am said:

whats up with people leaving complaints go the the forums for that keep the blog clean.

+ NAMEK on November 21st, 2009 at 2:08 am said:

Love the Adverts, just hope they are posted on the PS store. Plus some of the ones that are missing would be great too. Keep up the good work guys!

+ BD_Mr_Bubbles on November 21st, 2009 at 2:10 am said:

pretty funny

+ jimfear on November 21st, 2009 at 2:41 am said:

hahahaha kevin butler ftw.

+ Enigma777 on November 21st, 2009 at 2:47 am said:

I love these commercials! Keep it up Sony!