Driveclub

Killzone is (almost) Five! – Celebrate with a Double XP Weekend and More

Eric Boltjes's Avatar + Posted by Eric Boltjes on Nov 24, 2009 // Lead Online Game Designer, Guerrilla Games

November 26 will be a very special day for all of us here at Guerrilla. On that day, exactly five years ago, the very first Killzone title for PlayStation 2 hit the shelves in Europe. Sure, the game had already been released in the US three weeks prior, but hey…Guerrilla is based in the Netherlands. We commemorate the 26th because that’s the date that we were finally able to see the fruits of our labor in Dutch stores.

Killzone PAL Packfront

Of course, it would be a shame to leave this occasion unmarked –- and I’m not talking about the champagne and strange Dutch snacks we’ll undoubtedly be having at the studio. We also want to celebrate it with you, the fans. After all, the Killzone brand wouldn’t be where it is today without your support. So here’s what we have in store for you over the next few days:

Looking back at Killzone 1
Later this week on Killzone.com, Seb “Motherh” Downie and I are going to play through the first Killzone game for you. We’ll be commenting on our favorite sections and wallowing in beer-induced nostalgia.

Killzone 2 retro tournament

This weekend (November 27-30) Guerrilla will host a Killzone 2 retro tournament, using only the Beach Head and Southern Hills maps from the second DLC pack. And there’s more to be gained than valor alone, because…

Double XP Weekend returns
…the tournament will take place during a Double XP Weekend! Just like last time, any game created in the weekend of November 27-30 will yield extra XP to help you boost your ranking.

Killzone 1 and 2 side-by-side
Finally, Killzone.com editor Victor Zuylen will compare various features of Killzone 2 with its predecessor next week, illustrating exactly how far we’ve come since the first Killzone game was released.

And starting today, Killzone 2 DLC goes on sale on the PlayStation Store — Flash & Thunder is now $2.99 and the Map Pack Bundle is down to $9.99 — until December 10. I hope you’ll join us in celebrating the fifth anniversary of Killzone! In the meantime, I’m going to put on my Top Hits of 2004 album and try to remember how I partied five years ago. Eric out.

67 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ ADR143 on November 24th, 2009 at 11:28 am said:

thnx GG for killzone 1 & 2.

i personally liked killzone 1 better in online but hopefully u guys polish up the multiplayer in Killzone 3.

Killzone 2 was a good run but it wasnt that great.

btw congrats

+ Akitsukineko on November 24th, 2009 at 11:29 am said:

That’s cool!!!
But still have lots of works to do…
“Maximum Planar Subset”?
What the hell…

+ patcoolkid on November 24th, 2009 at 11:52 am said:

i have both games but still play killzone 1 more because me and my brother can do split screen. still holding out hope for a patch to add split screen in killzone 2. any chance?

+ mahakk on November 24th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Congrats on 5 years of Killzone, but, but… is the sale on the map packs/bundle an US-only offer? Would be funny regarding the chatter about US/EU, but hey. ;)

+ poodude on November 24th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

Damn, I was going to play Dragon Age and Demon’s Souls this weekend, looks like I may have to squeeze in time for this too.

+ AceBeeDee on November 24th, 2009 at 12:50 pm said:

great way to celebrate, i’ll definitely be online this weekend!

+ LiQuiZoN on November 24th, 2009 at 1:06 pm said:

PATCH COPYRIGHT PROTECTED SAVES

I’m going to need to send my PS3 in and there is no feasible way to recover the save data!!!

This is unacceptable.

+ l_ShortCircuit_l on November 24th, 2009 at 1:33 pm said:

w00t EBolts! Congrats GG! Kinda disappointed that you aren’t hosting a Snipe the Dev day. :(

+ shystie1 on November 24th, 2009 at 1:35 pm said:

Sounds great and I’ll be there along with all my fellow .RATT clan members

+ ClinToN on November 24th, 2009 at 1:40 pm said:

Cool stuff. Happy 5 years. Now that Ad-Hoc Party is out for North America, you all should start pushing folks into the co-op part of Killzone: Liberation on the PSP! :)

+ GreyLynx on November 24th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

dude the 26th is my birthday and thanksgiving and the 5th year anniversy of KZ

+ HanowarHAIL on November 24th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

Even though I think KZ2 is the best shooter of this generation, if they added secondary fire to the weapons it would be an even more amazing game.

+ commanderlewis on November 24th, 2009 at 4:56 pm said:

awesome!!

+ Kamahl_rg on November 26th, 2009 at 11:39 am said:

congrats, i think im getting the map packs now :P

+ Thrill_Kill on November 27th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

What more can I say? This is awesome! I can now get the new map packs for a decent price, a\AND I can get some XP points this weekend that I have been missing!

Killzone 1 on PlayStation 2 was one of my favorite all time FPS ever made! I bought it on day one and I did the same with Killzone 2.

They are both incredible shooters, and I for one would LOVE to see Killzone 1 remastered like GOW Collection was. Made into 1080p graphics running at a smooth 60frames per second, with perhaps some DTS or 7.1 PCM thrown in there! That would be so sweet!

Long live Killzone!

+ thegriefer on November 29th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

killzone 2 is an awesome game, especially the multiplayer. Please bring out killzone 3 asap.

+ Azure-Edge on November 30th, 2009 at 2:42 pm said:

Awesome work guys, I’ve only had Killzone 2 for about a week or so and LOVE it. I hate you guys aren’t nominated for GOTY

PAGE 1 2