Far Cry 4

It Only Does Unbelievable HD Entertainment Bundles

Peter Dille's Avatar + Posted by Peter Dille on Nov 28, 2009 // Senior Vice President, Marketing & PlayStation Network

Hi everyone. I hope you’re all well recovered from a tryptophan-induced holiday and are getting ready for some exciting shopping ahead (this is of course, if you haven’t already taken advantage of our great Black Friday promotions).

It’s been a lot of fun rolling out the many creative executions of our “Dear PlayStation” ad campaign over the last few weeks. Kevin Butler has garnered legions of fans as he demonstrates how the PS3 “Only Does Everything” in his very unique style. In fact, even our friends and partners at Best Buy have been impressed. So much so, they approached us about a unique collaboration featuring Best Buy’s “blue shirt” campaign in which actual Best Buy employees solve customer needs. Of course, we loved the idea.

Our colleagues at Sony Electronics and Sony Pictures Home Entertainment also got involved with Best Buy to sweeten the deal by offering an amazing value bundle that showcases the true powerhouse Sony is when it comes to HD entertainment. The bundle combines a PlayStation 3, a Bravia HDTV, and a choice of a new game and Blu-ray movie – all with a total savings of up to $1100! The promotion runs from November 29th until December 12th across Best Buy stores nationwide and online at BestBuy.com. There are some limitations, so read more on the bundle here: BestBuy.com/SonyTVPS3.

If you or a friend is in the market for a true 1080p HD experience, you need to check this deal out. You can also thank Kevin and Best Buy’s Nick DeVita of New York for one-upping each other to create an “explosive” bundle and a great commercial.

I’d like to thank our sister companies and particularly our partners at Best Buy for helping make this happen. I hope many of you can take advantage of this opportunity to deck your living room with the ultimate HD entertainment experience.

Cheers,
Peter

183 Comments

+ lostinplainsight on November 29th, 2009 at 12:29 am said:

still can’t see the video on my ps3 since the update

+ Gr00v3r06 on November 29th, 2009 at 1:19 am said:

BOOM keep the fun commercials coming.

+ ananda on November 29th, 2009 at 2:20 am said:

BOOM!

+ DZORMAGEN on November 29th, 2009 at 2:22 am said:

BOOM!

+ Kenshin71 on November 29th, 2009 at 2:47 am said:

I bought a Sharp Aquos instead of a Bravia because my 60GB went BOOM and got the YLOD and Sony wanted more than $150 to fix it.

+ CloudStorm87 on November 29th, 2009 at 2:57 am said:

Now THIS is what you call good marketing. I’m from the UK so I don’t everything about Best Buy but they seem like a popular retailer in the US, so for them to approach Sony to promote this deal speaks volumes about how good the current PS3 marketing is.

It’s a shame that it’s limited to the US. While I have seen Uncharted 2 ads being run in the cinemas here in UK, I rarely ever see PS3 ads on TV. The 360 is getting a stranglehold in the UK market and Sony needs to bring its ‘It Only Does..’ campaign to our shores and start show people why the PS3 is the better system.

I’d love to see someone like Stephen Fry or Brian Cox, who are very recognisable in the UK and have some connection to Sony through their voice acting roles in two major PS3 titles.

Please make it happen!!

+ Erniejpan on November 29th, 2009 at 3:11 am said:

OOOOOOOHHHHH!!! and boom goes the dynamite.

Great ad’s.

+ Erniejpan on November 29th, 2009 at 3:15 am said:

@55
So you bought a 600+ dollar TV because you didn’t want to pay $150 to get your PS3 fix? lol

+ arnoldmcguire335 on November 29th, 2009 at 3:30 am said:

That was awesome! and the ad did forgot one thing: don’t forget the HDMI cable!

That ad was cool. definitely “make.believe” material!

+ gilgamesh21 on November 29th, 2009 at 3:32 am said:

Hi Peter,I want to give you feedback on PS3 3.00+.
1. The sparkles are nice & dynamic theme ability is good.
2. Please allow the option to choose the “system start-up” I want.
a. Original “Sony Computer Entertainment/ classical music”.
b. New “PS3/ neo-classical music”.
3. Give XMB font size options.
4. Allow me to turn on/off XMB “blurring” effect.
5. Allow me to have the XMB icons/words stay visible or fade.
6. Allow me to turn on/off the “adticker” in top right corner.
7. Allow me to turn Playstation store icons on/off.
8. Please allow me to choose which “media boot-up” screen I want.
a. Original “PLAYSTATION 3/ jingle” splash screen.
b. New “black screen/ no jingle”.
9. Please allow me to choose the “loading” icon I want.
a. Original classic “droplet” “watermark”.
b. New clock
It’s mostly superficial, but user customization is good. Many PLAYSTATION 3 users would make use of these options.
Thanks for your hardwork, I know you’re trying to make PS3/PSN/XMB better. I know SCEA may not be responsible for the changes. SCEJ is probably pulling the strings. Please give this feedback to them too.Happy Holidays!

+ Anddo on November 29th, 2009 at 4:20 am said:

BOOM!! Nice commercial… and yes, Bravia’s rawk, proud owner since 2006!

+ xeno3d on November 29th, 2009 at 4:33 am said:

LOL awesome

Sony’s new ad campaign is awesome.

+ Anirask on November 29th, 2009 at 4:41 am said:

I saw an ad last night from Best Buy proclaiming that the Xbox 360 was the console to buy to get Modern Warfare 2. Not even mentioning that is was available on the PS3 as well.

You guys may be happy they have one for the PS3 and overpriced movies but they’re doing the ones relating to gaming for your competitor.

+ jazzyrider on November 29th, 2009 at 6:00 am said:

Funny commercial. Keep ‘em coming!

+ maddymad on November 29th, 2009 at 6:25 am said:

Why such great deal never happens in Europe? More precisely, in France.

+ CondorMcG on November 29th, 2009 at 6:35 am said:

@60 you can do most of those things.

+ Shqype on November 29th, 2009 at 6:46 am said:

Once again, another great commercial from the hilarious Kevin Butler. Keep them coming, Sony!

+ JayD-1K on November 29th, 2009 at 6:55 am said:

WOW,not 1 Sony/BB commercial this whole time and now……..BOOM!

for a minute, (just a minute), I thought MS bought out BB!

+ Nynja on November 29th, 2009 at 7:00 am said:

Loving the commercials, great work guys.

I was hoping Sony could clarify the rumors about PSN subscription fees. Out of fear that I would have to start paying a fee to play games online, I am on a PS3 game buying freeze. Until I know for sure what these subscription fees details are, I am not buying any more games.

+ JitteryJordan on November 29th, 2009 at 7:05 am said:

@Nynja, it would include special features that you can choose to pay for, playing online will still be free.

+ piro_z on November 29th, 2009 at 7:17 am said:

if only i could afford it >.<

+ snoopypup248 on November 29th, 2009 at 7:21 am said:

BOOM! Love the video!

+ hush404 on November 29th, 2009 at 7:31 am said:

B00M! :D

Gawd damn I love these new style of commercials. Every other style made me shake my head, but these ones are INGENIOUS!

+ remanutd5 on November 29th, 2009 at 8:25 am said:

Mr Dille , i love all the new ads and deals you have for the ps3 and now it seems to me that the system is doing really great , how about the new PSP GO ? is there gonna be a bundle or any incentive , deal , tv spot to let people know the system exist ? i mean you guys are bundle the ps3 with 2 of the best games on the system for $299.99 and the psp GO ALONE cost $249.99 , isnt that a little too pricey ? i want to get my nephew the new psp GO but i will wait to see if you guys will offer a deal/ bundle first

+ Carl-G on November 29th, 2009 at 8:26 am said:

Nice 1 ;)

All i want now is PS2 playback back on PS3.

+ stennex on November 29th, 2009 at 8:33 am said:

BOOOM!

+ Jeigh on November 29th, 2009 at 8:37 am said:

Mm… Not quite as good as the last… all of them. Still a step above the ads of the past. Kind of surprised that you guys aren’t giving Best Buy the middle finger after that Modern Warfare 2 commercial.

+ Pomato-EX on November 29th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

BOOM (That means “keep it up” in “Boom-bastic”)

+ PirateThom on November 29th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

Boom to the power of Boom.

+ explosive78 on November 29th, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

BOOM diddy BOOM BOOM!

+ Cesarcsrf on November 29th, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

BOOM ! nice xD

+ kmkaizen on November 29th, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

one thing you forget to add you need a HDMI cable to buy as with it the it the best deal ever

+ KSPRAYDAD on November 29th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

@82…

Best Buy will bundle a Monster Cable in there for ya for $100 more….they have to make their profit SOMEWHERE.

+ Elsa on November 29th, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

BOOM! I LOVE this ad campaign! … and that Sony guy is one sexy beast! :)

+ MiChAeL6 on November 29th, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

Booooooooooooooooom!

+ Carl-G on November 29th, 2009 at 10:25 am said:

Don’t go on n4g.com anyone.

It’s the worse SONY and PS3 hating site on the internet :-/

+ NEJI64 on November 29th, 2009 at 10:31 am said:

Dear Playstation.
i just fixed my 60gb PS3 8 months ago and my PS3 died friday night. i think y’all need to extend your 90 day warranty to a year. i refuse to pay $150 8 months later for the same issue. at lest Microsoft give a year warranty after the RROD.

+ sTaB_u_N_uR_i on November 29th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

BOOM!

(hope Sony creates the same deal when their new 3D sets come out next year)

+ xiked on November 29th, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

BOOOOM!!! SONY have its groove back when it comes to offers and commercials! Well done!

Now fix Cross Game voice chat ASAP!
Mandatory Cross game invites for all games. MW2 one of the few that use it…
Fix the dreadful Webb browser asap!
FIX EXCLUSIVE DLC FOR 3D PARTY GAMES!

+ VenomUK on November 29th, 2009 at 10:46 am said:

BOOM!

+ jqtaxpayer on November 29th, 2009 at 10:58 am said:

Just picked up Uncharted 2 for $40 on Amazon — lots of great PS3-related deals this season.

+ mckg123456789 on November 29th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

Awesome deals sony ! Now do one with Demon’s Souls. I know ATLUS published it but your Japanese publisher team Japan studio has their logo in the game so PLEASE DO ONE WITH DEMON’S SOULS! (commercial)

+ Super_Soldier_13 on November 29th, 2009 at 11:32 am said:

BOOM!!! lol hilarious some1 back talking the back talker good idea sony and great bundle too bad i dont have enough mmoney for it… :( but im getting my ps3 today from target. they have a bundle where you buy a ps3 (normal price for either the 120 or the 250) and you get a FREE silver dualshock3 controller with the ps3.

+ Super_Soldier_13 on November 29th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

oh and i demoed uncharted 2 it was amazing any1 know where i can get it for less than $60 new??

+ U_A_E-SNIPER on November 29th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

BOOOM!!

+ spunnups on November 29th, 2009 at 11:47 am said:

Best Advertising Sony has done since the Ratchet and Clank commercials on the PS2. Love em!

+ KillerBread on November 29th, 2009 at 11:58 am said:

any bundle like this for the uk?

+ nwd31 on November 29th, 2009 at 12:40 pm said:

well after i have argud with my ebox friends about how they should get a ps3 because it will save you money in the long term. However this is why i got a ps3. i know that every one has an ebox but its because they are cheep and they always get the red ring of death. finaly after arguing they told me that ps3 online will start to cost money. i would just like to know if this is true and if it is i think that it is very ignorant because you will get so much more attraction if you keep online free. i have had a ps3 for a little bit more than 2 years and i had to work to get it. but i have saved a little bit over a 100 dollars that i have used to buy mics and controlers. please write back or send me a message
sincerely yours,
NWD31!

+ k-man450 on November 29th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

Great commercials. Now bring them to Europe.

+ ADR143 on November 29th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said: