PlayStation Vue

Dec 01

Behind the Scenes with the SCEA Music Department

Chris Morell's Avatar Posted by Chris Morell on Dec 01, 2009 // Senior Social Media Specialist

If you ever though that music in PlayStation games is an afterthought, think again. I spent an afternoon with a trio from the music team here at SCEA and found out quite the contrary. Games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, inFAMOUS and the upcoming God of War III are proving just how amazing game music can be.

This definitely ranks up there with one of my favorite interviews I’ve been a part of. You’ve already met Jonathan Mayer. This time we’re adding Senior Music Manager Clint Bajakian and Music Editor Scott Hanau, who discuss all things music here at PlayStation. In this six-minute video, the team touches on topics including what it’s like to work alongside game developers like Naughty Dog, the huge orchestral sessions at Skywalker Sound and beyond, how the music was crafted for the UNCHARTED 2 train sequence, the percussion in God of War III and much more.

And you’ll also notice UNCHARTED 2 composer Greg Edmonson doing his thing along with Leslie Ann Jones, Director of Music Recording and Scoring for Skywalker Sound.

Hope you enjoy it!

PAGE 1 2

+ QCVic on December 1st, 2009 at 3:39 pm said:

The music from the God of War series is amazing. They really put my into the game. Especially when the screen pulls away to show the backgrounds of the stage (queue epic music). I can’t wait to see what you guys have in store for God of War III. Keep up the good work.

+ sam_i_jam on December 1st, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

Clint Bajakian was behind the soundscapes for many of my beloved Lucasarts adventure games of yesteryear. It’s always great to see him actively involved with the best.

+ CEK111 on December 1st, 2009 at 3:44 pm said:

Uncharted 2’s Score Was Epic.
Greg, if you reading give yourself a pat on the back !

I Wish I’d Taken On Music Fot GCSE now…..

+ ixnine on December 1st, 2009 at 3:55 pm said:

Sony taking the time out to share with us the music that makes the games we love so much more epic. This is a very nice treat. Thanks Chris!

+ squadass99 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:01 pm said:

i love this sort of thing! im not much of a music player but listening to my favourite songs etc.. really gets me going when playing all sorts of games.
i would love to know about the warhawk soundtrack personally, its equally as epic as God of war and Uncharted but there is something about the orchestral score of warhawk which really hits (so to speak :D). also i would love to know what is being done about the ratchet and resistance soundtracks, i would love them in my collection.

+ perrandy on December 1st, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

i love music in games. specially on jrpgs, i think it would be a great idea if sony would let us import the game’s music straight from the blu-ray in to our hard drives

+ crowsticky1234 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:10 pm said:

Wow, this video answers my question of how they make these video games sound so epic. Thank You, Chris.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 1st, 2009 at 4:31 pm said:

You\’re welcome. It answered at a lot of my questions, too. Hopefully I can get up to an orchestral session sometime soon and bring back some good info!

+ TheGuardianFID on December 1st, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

Uncharted 1 and 2’s scores are some of the best in gaming or any medium, absolutely beautiful, I will be buying them off of Itunes!!! :D

+ kenady15 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:17 pm said:

how do u get the uncharted 2 music ?

+ polo155 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

I myself am a music guy, ive specifiallymademusic for HOME aswell but not sure wwhere to submit it, i sent links with ISRC Codes to The HOME Manegers with links and there contain no samplesorlyrics so leagl is just aout clear right there… quality stuff. any ideas?

+ polo155 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:23 pm said:

sup chris, just realized u were the Poster.

Chris Morell's Avatar

+ Chris Morell on December 1st, 2009 at 4:31 pm said:

Sup right back at ya.

+ BigBoss114 on December 1st, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

Chris, when will the new boxart format for PS3 games be a STANDARD because games like MW2 and Borderland came out after 10/13 and they still use the old one and even though games like Battlefield: BC2 and 3D Game Dot Heroes have the new one, they they don’t have the PSN logo at the top right, what’s up w/ that, every game that come out should have the exact same boxart format from now on, PLEASE REPLY CHRIS, THANKS!!!

Also, will every game coming out from now on support cross game invite like MW2? please don’t skip!!!

+ stennex on December 1st, 2009 at 4:30 pm said:

I loved the GOW3 trailer music that really got my blood flowing and U2 was just mind blowing. On 5.1 surround sound every sound was euphoric.

P.S. Are you guys also working with Battlefield:BC2, besides the graphics being awesome, the sound from the beta are so fracking awesome.

PAGE 1 2