Far Cry 4

ModNation Racers Walkthrough #1: Character Creation

Dan Sochan's Avatar + Posted by Dan Sochan on Dec 01, 2009 // Producer, United Front Games

Hey everyone!

Sorry for the Blog radio silence since E3, but ModNation Racers has been keeping us very busy. The good kind of busy, as you will see! During the recent Media Day at United Front Games, we opened up our new Yaletown-district studio in Vancouver to the media, giving them a hands-on preview of the Public Beta – which will be out very soon. Check out some of the feedback from the press: 1UP, G4TV, GameDaily, GameSpot, IGN.

We’re really excited to show all of you what we’ve been working on, and we want your feedback! There’s a lot of new features, game modes and weapons that haven’t been seen before – and much more still to come!

Each week in December you’ll see a new ModNation Racers video walkthrough right here on the PlayStation Blog, starting today!

This character creation walkthrough is with our Art Director, Rob Oliveira (aka Robo). He’ll step through some of the basics of creating a Mod, which is just the tip of the iceberg that is character creation in ModNation Racers for PS3. Really, there are so many options!

And next week, Rob dives into some of the deeper features of character creation – like decal layering. Enjoy!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ BlooodyCow on December 1st, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

Man, I cannot wait for this game. Any word on a release date?

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Ron Eagle on December 1st, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

Spring 2010

+ RoyBoys on December 1st, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

Sweet! I can’t wait for this game! You guys should see if you could make it so we can bring our sackperson character from LBP over!!!

+ VofEscaflowne on December 1st, 2009 at 5:10 pm said:

The character creation in this game is A LOT more deeper than I initially thought. Looking forward to this game very much :)

Any word on when the beta will go live?

+ cleversignin on December 1st, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

I hope this doesn’t come out the same week as GT5. That would make for a tough choice.

+ heatseeker on December 1st, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

COOLNESS TO THE MAXIMUM!!!!

+ remanutd5 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:12 pm said:

when is the beta going live? man this game looks like tons of fun lol

+ John1192 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

awsome!!..cant wait to play it

+ Arcadian_Rebel on December 1st, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

When does the beta for this game open up?

+ Gilgamesh247 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Will the features shown in the video be part of the beta as well?

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Ron Eagle on December 1st, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

Yes they will.

+ MrDaBucket on December 1st, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

That is awesome! This was my favorite game from E3 and it’s looking even better!
Can’t wait to play it. Wish I was in the beta.

P.S. I love your logo.

+ UnholierThanThou on December 1st, 2009 at 5:22 pm said:

This is totally a kart racer (or even racer in general) that I’ll get behind! Can’t wait for beta/release!

+ Dice_for_Death_ on December 1st, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

This is easily a day-1 purchase. Thankfully, I’ll be able to enjoy the beta, once it takes off.

+ narwhalSTAB on December 1st, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

Please have other ways of getting into the beta. I already own LBP and don’t want to buy the Game of the Year edition just to get into this great beta.

+ spunnups on December 1st, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

Just another AAA PS3 game. I can get used to this.

+ coldasfire on December 1st, 2009 at 5:29 pm said:

is there an other way to get a beta code besides buying LBP GOTY???

+ TJ-Max on December 1st, 2009 at 5:33 pm said:

When is more music from Lair going to be released on PSN? It still says more music coming soon, since 2007!

+ colonel007 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

Do you have any news on when will the beta start?

+ TJ-Max on December 1st, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

When is more music from LAIR going to be released on PSN? Since 2007 it has said that more music is coming soon.

+ TJ-Max on December 1st, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

test

+ Monetep on December 1st, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

I have the beta code right here in my hand, any release date for the beta?
I soooo want to try this awesome game!

+ cs475x on December 1st, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

I really think you guys should just upload these videos to YouTube instead of Viddler. Why? Pretty much any video I watch on the net in another player is choppy and pauses every half-second–except YouTube…

+ Mza49311 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:44 pm said:

Diggin it, can’t wait to get my hands on this! Gonna have some fun! Beta Testing or a demo would be sweet!

+ chimaira667 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

Hmmm. This might be a buy for me. It looks great, but LBP was great in how much you could do with it. If you confine it to just a racer, you lose a lot of possibilities. If they do it right, this could be amazing, it’s shaping up to be good, but greatness remains to be seen. :)

+ NoxNoctisUmbra on December 1st, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

looks cool, cant wait for car customization videos!

+ GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS on December 1st, 2009 at 5:50 pm said:

This game looks awesome, I cannot wait to play it.

I hope they support it with lots of DLC just like MediaMolecule did with LittleBigPlanet.

Hopefully they give us options to download new skins for our characters. Give us a Kratos Skin, Nathan Drake clothing, Ratchet and Clank skins, etc……

+ OldSkool27 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

there’s no game that i want more than this. i wonder if gamestop will have the beta if we preorder it.

+ TubaDude49 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

Intriguing.:)

+ macbelonwu10 on December 1st, 2009 at 5:57 pm said:

SONY SHOULD HAVE USED THIS IN CREATING HOME AVATARS IT MAKES THE CREATING A LOT MORE FUN AND EASY TO USE” I PRAY ONE DAY WE WILL BE ABLE TO SEE SOMETHING LIKE THIS ON THE XMB AND NOT ONLY ON HOME APPLICATION THIS WOULD BRING THE COMMUNITY MORE CLOSER. JUST IMAGE SIGNING IN ONLINE AND SEEING YOUR MATES NEW LOOK OR TO SHOW OFF YOURS.

WELL DONE DAN AND TEAM. DAY 1 BUY

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Dan Sochan on December 1st, 2009 at 7:58 pm said:

Thanks! That\’s much appreciated!

+ DZORMAGEN on December 1st, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

OMG! The possibilities in this game are endless…yes you can make yourself, yes you can make different creatures, I hope they will be DLC like how LBP does it, and this company signs with big names like Marvel, DC, and even DISNEY! This of brands like COKE, PEPSI, ESPN car stickers. I really hope what I see in this game, the DEVS are seeing in this game! Man oh man, I really can’t wait to try THIS!! Any news other than LBP GOTY Edition we can get the better, is Qore going to give BETA if I am an annual subscriber? Please say YES!!!

+ seedaripper1973 on December 1st, 2009 at 6:12 pm said:

er…litlebigplanet GOTY edition isnt available in europe?? so is there any beta giveaways over here (UK), or do we get screwed once again for the americans/canadians??
I would really appreciate a reply…Ta, as we say in blighty…
See

+ MatheAdi on December 1st, 2009 at 6:18 pm said:

Your shirt is WHITE!! not blue :)

Very creative game, and cant wait for it!!

I want to get into beta, any news on that?

Dan Sochan's Avatar

+ Rob Oliveira on December 1st, 2009 at 6:52 pm said:

It\’s very light blue, but i messed up the color on my mod. Good catch but shhhh…my boss is reading this :) Mr. Ron Eagle will be keeping everyone posted on the Beta details!

+ Monetep on December 1st, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

The official page it’s http://www.modnation.com/ right? —

http://www.modnationracers.com/ it’s not working for me…

+ poodude on December 1st, 2009 at 6:28 pm said:

I cannot wait for this game. I haven’t played a good Kart Racer since CTR on the PSone. I’m really looking forward to this, too bad I already have LBP so I can’t get into the beta. Oh well the games looking good, nice job guys.

+ poweredbyzen on December 1st, 2009 at 6:31 pm said:

uh, how about pre-order bonus items?! maybe a limited edition modnation game?! toss in a modnation action figure too! fanboys rule!!!

+ theXecutioner on December 1st, 2009 at 6:35 pm said:

I’m highly looking forward to this game. Just imagining the community creations (along with my own) has me in high anticipation.

Here’s to hoping for several opportunities at procuring a beta code for the game. I (like many others) bought LittleBigPlanet on day one.

Keep up the good work though guys and gals.

+ DZORMAGEN on December 1st, 2009 at 6:37 pm said:

Hey Ron, the link you posted does not seem to be correct….can you comfirm or deny? And please reply to Question 29! Thanks!

+ thefjk on December 1st, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

This would have been awesome as a LBP sequel… really want Sackboy back.

Still, gonna be fun though!

+ bob52 on December 1st, 2009 at 6:42 pm said:

Canada devs ftw

+ RynoIV on December 1st, 2009 at 6:47 pm said:

Will this game have PSP support? Meaning, can you can transfer the game from the PS3 to PSP, either by actually putting the game on your PSP or by Remote Play? This game seems perfect to play on the go.

+ KILLZONE79 on December 1st, 2009 at 6:59 pm said:

Video doesnt work for me

+ DZORMAGEN on December 1st, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

Hey Ron since I caught that mistake, can you PLEASE GIVE me a BETA code =)? I, like a lot people have the original LBP, and I bought it day one! I REALLY WANT TO TRY THE BETA!!! Any other ways other then buying Little Big Planet Game of the Year Edition to get this BETA>

+ Ramage on December 1st, 2009 at 7:10 pm said:

video isn’t working for me either which is a first.

Firefox browser
Windows 7
It’s displaying blank white

any help would be appreciated

+ Ramage on December 1st, 2009 at 7:11 pm said:

annnd wouldn’t you know it. I refreshed the page and restarted and the video wouldn’t work still. Now that I post a comment…IT DOES!

interesting

+ B-RadGfromOV on December 1st, 2009 at 7:15 pm said:

Lol@ the guy using a Sharp TV instead of a Sony one. Doesn’t Sony give out free TVs to it’s devs?

+ ima_hustla_19 on December 1st, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

This has nothing to do with this game. Which by the way looks great can’t wait to get it but I do mist of my playstation blog reading on my iPhone at work n I can never watch the videos u put up n e chance of a choice in video types preferably YouTube?

+ inveigle on December 1st, 2009 at 7:27 pm said:

Guys, you don’t have to try so hard to sell the game to people. People like your game and I do as well!

+ caracrowland on December 1st, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

I can’t wait for this game. It looks awsome. Good job on it so far

+ ivanramon on December 1st, 2009 at 7:37 pm said:

nice vid…I want a Beta voucher!

+ cros1625 on December 1st, 2009 at 7:40 pm said:

Glad to see a new kart game coming :) Seen MNR at e3 and was like :D can’t wait for it!

Can you guys let Qore subscribers get in on this beta please?

BTW my first PS Blog comment! Not new, just never posted a comment here.

+ TheGuardianFID on December 1st, 2009 at 7:41 pm said: