PS4-Infamous

‘Tis the PixelJunk Season…

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Cuthbert on Dec 02, 2009 // President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

We know you’ve been patiently waiting for your chance to finally go hands-on with the fourth game in the PixelJunk series. So let me lead off by formally announcing: PixelJunk Shooter will become available on the PlayStation Store next Thursday, December 10th.

We’ve been holding on to this video interview with SCEE‘s Jem Alexander and I until we were ready to announce PixelJunk Shooter‘s release date. With that out of the way, hit “play” below:

I was a bit tired during that interview, which is my excuse for the over-use of the adjective “cool” (the game *is* cool though! *Very* cool cool indeed)! Here’s the story behind that:

The time was 12am midnight and it was a warm early Autumn night and my heavily loaded car was waiting for me to drive it from Kyoto to Tokyo (estimated 8 hour drive).  This was the start of our journey to the Tokyo Game Show to set up our very own booth for the first time ever.  To cut costs wherever we could, I decided I would drive overnight, lugging the heavier stuff (big TVs, free give-aways, PS3s etc) and saving on train tickets too (by including a couple of Q-Gamers in the drive too).  The car was ram-packed full and weighed heavily down!  Luckily it is a Murano so fairly large and sturdy in the first place, but it’s a wonder the police didn’t pull us over during our trip.

IMG_1127

In Japan the freeways aren’t “free” but recently there is this “ETC” deal which lets you drive on most of them for a single charge of ten bucks or so. Oh and some stretches of road are only 2 lanes (because of the mountainous nature of the country), so as you can imagine there were a few bottlenecks on the way, and one accident that had occurred only a few minutes before we passed it near Mt. Fuji just as it was getting light, that wasn’t the greatest thing to see in the wee hours!  We arrived in Tokyo safe and sound though!

Driving through Tokyo on the express way is an interesting experience. You are in Shibuya and below is the ubiquitous maze of tiny streets but you are oblivious to all that as the express way is up above it all in a world of its own, lined by tall buildings.  One minute you are in Shibuya, and the next Roppongi, then you are passing Tokyo Tower and driving over the rainbow bridge, the speed at which it all flies by makes Tokyo seem so small! (It isn’t of course, not by a long shot).

IMG_1132IMG_1133

We arrived 10 minutes later in Makuhari Messe where TGS is always held, grabbed a quick Denny’s breakfast as it was the only place open at 7am and then drove to the conference center.  They allowed us to drive right into the hall and park the car next to our half-finished booth (we employed a company to set up the walls and large prints).  It took us the rest of the day to set everything up, including DIY anti-theft locks for the PS3 controllers! (The problem with Bluetooth controllers is that people can easily walk away with them, and we didn’t want that to happen!)  Once everything was finished it really looked great for such a small booth!  We then went and got some much needed sleep because by that point we were totally knackered!!

IMG_1136IMG_1149

I might as well use this blog entry as an excuse to talk a little bit about the response last month’s release of PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe has been getting – it has been awesome!  Metacritic currently has us at 88 and we’re in the top 10 of all-time best PSP games, which is absolutely incredible for us!  It seems most people are playing the game in offline 1p mode (which of course is engrossing to the extreme), but everyone should definitely try out the online play. It’s a lot of fun and there are lots of like-minded Monsters fans out there to “parlay” and boogie on down with.  It’s also surprisingly fun to simply hang out in a one of the lobbies and watch the blow-by-blow tickertape commentaries of other people’s games. Remember you don’t need a PSPgo to play Monsters Deluxe, it works fine on any PSP!  That’s something we’ve had a lot of mails about.

Anyway, I’ll sign off here and write up another blog once Shooter is out!  Remember to post comments!

IMG_1143IMG_1141IMG_1139

PAGE 1 2

+ DZORMAGEN on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

Can’t wait for SHOOTER!!

+ hkyluver on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

:jawdrop:

+ reson8er on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

Very much looking forward to this. Will there be a demo before or when the title hits?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

no demo to begin with but we are busy knocking one up for those who haven\’t been persuaded it\’s good enough for a blind purchase yet :)

+ reson8er on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

P.S. My apologies if the question is answered in the video, I can’t hear audio when viewing while at work >_>b

+ Vex_Doppel on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

No online coop? Thats kind of a bummer. The game looks “cool” though.

+ SwampThing71 on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

can’t wait!

+ adolson on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

I didn’t see the price.. Is it $9.99 like the other games or will it be bumped up to the new $14.99 standard?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

I\’m pretty sure it will be the cheaper of those two pricepoints

+ Korbei83 on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Okay, so Sony America: When’s it coming?

+ THE_SPANIARD on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

any news on if we will ever see a compilation disk of the pixeljunk series?

+ B-Ri on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

I’m so excited, I played it at comic con when I worked the booth, it was awesome!

Do you guys know when it’ll be available to purchase off amazon? I have PSN credit with them and I’m saving it for pixeljunk shooter if it’s available day and date.

+ stardeth on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

I really can’t feel much excitement over ANOTHER pixeljunk release. In my opinion, the company’s name should be pixelslop. Katamari forever, in particular, is on my no-way-no-play list… Similarly, as the company’s products are a waste of money, the junkpixel place in HOME is a waste of virtual space.

+ Shin-Ra on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

It clearly states December 10th in the first paragraph.

+ Shin-Ra on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:27 am said:

Q-Games made Katamari now? That’s a new one!

But very wrong.

+ Moosehole on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

Wish it was this Thursday but I can wait another week. Instant buy. I love Q-Games.

+ JamesSoprano on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:30 am said:

With Games like This and PJ Eden AND most importantly PJ MONSTERS ! You Guys are the Best of The Best on the Playstation Store !

Shooter Day One Buy For Me !

I will continue to be a big fan of yours. Just keep bringing the Fun And i’l keep spending the Dough !

Q-Games = #1 !

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

Thanks! We don\’t plan to stop anytime soon…

+ Zezzler on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:37 am said:

This game will be perfect! i cannot wait for all the coop fun ill be having with some of my friends! This one has taken significantly longer than the other titles, so if must be that much more awesome! cant wait for all the new features added into this.
1st day buy aswell.
This’ll Have Home rewards correct? if so how many? and how many trophies as well?

thanks gain Dylan and the Team! cant wait for more pixelJunk love~

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

There are home rewards yes, and they are pretty cool rewards I think

+ stlthriot on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:38 am said:

This looks like an amazing new game from Q-Games! :D

Any chance we could find out a price ($9.99 perhaps) and will there be a demo?

You can play this 2-player locally, correct?

+ Tyrsis on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

@stardeath – you might want to research the titles that Q-Games do, because you’re completely wrong.

Anyways, this is an instant buy.

+ dragonmagician on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:39 am said:

- A preview I read stated that SHOOTER was not a good name for it; which is kinda disappointing after the “fans naming” idea.
- The preview also stated this game will be episodic. Is this true? and will the pricing reflect this point?

Either way, I’m going to pick this up. I hope the co-op is good in this game.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

It\’s not episodic in the sense you are thinking of but we hope we get the chance to make a sequel.

PixelJunk Shooter is the name and it is perfect.

+ Trey_Borbon on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

who is trey_borbon?

Im not Trey Borbon

LOL

+ Xoombie503 on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:46 am said:

lol wtf @20…
nice story there.game seems like fun, i just hope its not repetitive or itll be boring and no replay value.also hope the trophies are not insanely hard as previous titles.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:53 am said:

You\’re going to really enjoy it – the trophies\’ challenges are very natural and there is no repetition. (well, apart from the fact you are shooting things all the way through the game)

+ Onna76_NL on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

Ow yeaaaah! Can’t wait! I seriously love PSN games, you know, even more than retail games. PSN brings the best possible originality and innovation in games and that thanks to all small companies like yours truly :-)

Really looking forward to the game.

Ow and I’ve always found Shooter to be a wrong name, but that’s my opinion ;)

+ TheZed88 on December 2nd, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

Wish I could say this was a Day One Buy for me, but unfortunatly I will not have much gaming time between 12/9-12/27. I am marking it on my calander to buy on 12/28 however. And I can’t wait!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

Day 18 it is then :-)

+ Ibrahack on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

Hello Dylan, i hope you are well mate! this is good news! at last! first day buy!
Are you planning release Shooter for PSP?

Thanks!

+ grashopper on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

I liked this blog post…kinda cool seeing pictures of the trip. Really hoping I have some extra $$ to pick it up next week. Been looking forward to it.

+ lyfestory on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

another good game… i look forward to it.. these games are definitely more than worth the price point…

+ thomasdurka on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

Hi!

Will PJ Shooter also be available on the EU store at December 10th or later?

I will play this game. I’ve had played it the first time at the gamescom this year and it was amazing.

+ BritishGolgo13 on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:08 am said:

I’m so excited for this. I’m very eager to purchase this as the Pixeljunk franchise is the best on PSN. Quality doesn’t get much better than this.

+ Berae on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

looks awesome! cant wait to hear about the dungeon one too if it still exists it sounds like it will be good

+ guitain on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

Did you say Giant Enemy Crab, or did I have snow stuck in my ear? Because if you did… Will it have a weak spot on which we should attack, so as to deal it MASSIVE DAMAGE?!? =D

Wow… That was a lot sooner, than I’d expected! … When I say PAL-release, do you then say: Global Release, my friend? =D

+ kosluftar on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Same screen co-op just like Eden?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:17 am said:

yes, same screen co-op, loads of fun – you can catch your friend if he dies and dunk him in water to restore him to health

+ guitain on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:13 am said:

Oh fiddle sticks… shoulda read the above comments…

Cheers though for global release =D

+ Monetep on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:15 am said:

Cool.

This games looks amazing.

+ walnoj on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Is there online play for this title?

+ Curtisio on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

YES!! I can’t wait! Any plans for a PSP version?

+ plaztiksyke on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:18 am said:

a couple of questions:
1. at what resolution does the game natvely render?

2. are the audio assets 24-bit? lossless? will they mix and output at 24-bit LPCM over HDMI?

3. can we look forward to any video diaries or documentaries in the future? love the photo collage, and looking forward to more of the same :)

4. any innovative use of the PS3 hardware over previous PJ titles worth mentioning? (better use of SPUs, etc) I’d love to hear some deep tech details!

my husband and I played through Eden and Encore, and we just finished Monsters and Encore. Eden was the reason we bought our ps3, and no other developer nails local co-op and beautiful art style like you guys. Keep up the good work!

PS: as big fans of Nethack, Baldur’s Gate, Gauntlet 2, and X-Men Legends, we’re REAllY excited for PixelJunk Dungeons!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:28 am said:

1. 1920x1080p the highest it can go

2. Not sure what the exact details are regarding audio, sorry.

3. Maybe yes, because it is kind of fun for us too.

4. The fluids make enormous use of the SPUs, it isn\’t trivial to support the simulation of a full screen of interacting fluids at 60hz and at full-HD resolution. We use five SPUs just for the fluid. (we are doing a talk at next year\’s GDC about the tech involved)

We also do real-time distance field generation for the pixel-perfect 2d collision detection between the environments/hard fluids and everything else. (this is basically the generation of a distance value for every pixel to its nearest open space)

+ KwietStorm on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:20 am said:

Still dont like the name. Still getting the game. Pixel Junk Geo (Geoscience) would have been cool. But I see you guys went with the easy to market title. Its all good.

+ sNsKid on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

I had a strong feeling the game would be out next week in the US after Dylan said Shooter was delayed in Japan because of FF13. :D

+ mcbuttz78 on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

id like to say the home space is very artistic. its perfect for pictures on home.. i want to know will you guys ever release art back ground pictures from pixel junk eden and other title, the art is out standing, i think if you guys could make a ps eye pixel junk digtal art game it would be epic . i will try to pick this up . funds kinda low right now , bills

+ Trieloth on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:34 am said:

Iam excited for this game and cant wait! Day one purchace! And no I dont need a demo the videos are convincing enough ;)

+ Capt-Fury- on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Now where is Blasto 2?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

heheh, that\’d be a great game to remake

+ mcbuttz78 on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

i ment a game similar to lingr of the hodows using graphic art. not ps eye. I think the games art is very good .. can i ask who does the art and what not if its ok to ask,

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on December 2nd, 2009 at 6:21 pm said:

The same guy who did Monsters was the main artist on Shooter – one of our in-house guys: Andrew Palmer

+ MiltonMafia on December 2nd, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

PJ are great letters combined (my favs)
Peanut butter and Jam
Pearl Jam
Pixel Junk

Day one buy for me. Can’t wait.

+ perrandy on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:01 am said:

this game gave me an old atari “defender” vibe if you know what i mean?not that is bad by any means..cuz i really loved that game.

anyways, this game seems really fun.and i will probabbly buy it since i loved monsters for the ps3 and the demo for the psp…btw, dylan i dont get why the monster demo had a drm all over it. since it was just a demo.i felt annoyed to have to be online just to “activate” the demo
btw, i didnt know until now that jem from the eu blog was actually a dude haha
like i said the game looks fun. will buy it as soon as i get a psn card!

+ Reluctant-Hero on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:03 am said:

I played this at PAX and PJ Shooter was definitely an amazing game in it’s “development” form in early September. I’m looking forward to playing the final version and I’d definitely recommend a “blind purchse” to those who’re thinking of waiting for a demo.

+ stardeth on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

@tyrsis First, only one A in my name. Second, while I may not possess the knowledge of Q-Games’ entire library, I can speak with confidence when I say without hessitation that ALL the pixeljunk games look like vomit on a canvas, in my opinion. You may not agree, but as you are entitled to your opinion, I am entitled to mine. As such, ANY game bearing the word ‘pixeljunk’ anywhere on it will remain unpurchased by my household.

+ FunkyTable on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:15 am said:

Awesome, can’t wait for it to go on sale.

+ FunkyTable on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

By sale I mean at a discounted price, I’m a cheapskate, sorry.

+ Rcmdawg on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:19 am said:

Are you guys ever going to release any more expansion packs for Monsters on PS3?

+ Pulseman on December 2nd, 2009 at 11:21 am said:

Excellent work Dylan. I can’t wait to play Shooter! It looks beatiful and the gameplay seems to be spot on.

P.S. @46 If you don’t like the art style then don’t play it :) The art style is beatiful and very unique.

PAGE 1 2