Street Fighter V

Dec 07

ModNation Racers Beta Starts December 18 + Character Creation Walkthrough #2

Rob Oliveira's Avatar Posted by Rob Oliveira on Dec 07, 2009 // Art Director, United Front Games

Hello everyone!

Rob Oliveira here. I’m taking a quick break from work to talk to you about some more character creation features in ModNation Racers.

But first, here’s a date you’re going to want to mark down on your calendars. December 18. That’s the day we open up the ModNation Racers Beta to you. The Beta runs through January 10, and you’ll have the chance to score a Beta voucher right here on the PlayStation Blog! Stay tuned very soon for details on the Beta giveaway. Of course, those of you who picked up LittleBigPlanet Game of the Year Edition already have a voucher, so you’re good to go!

In today’s video I’m going to give you a very brief walkthrough of our sticker and layering system. I’m going to create something using one simple shape, several layers, and some color changes.

Once you’ve seen what I do with one shape and a couple of layers, you can easily imagine what can be done with hundreds of stickers, and hundreds layers at your disposal. Our system allows you to move, scale, skew, rotate, flip and change the height and transparency of all these stickers. We’ve also created many “physical” stickers like rust, mud, and dents. Like all of the parts in our game, you can change the color channels, and material properties of each of these. I hope you’re starting to see the possibilities!

Don’t see that Chrome Dragon sticker you’re looking for? There’s nothing stopping you from using one of many primitives and gradients as brushes to create it in the layer editor. Use the material properties to change all those stickers to chrome. Our layering system allows you to group those layers together, so you can move, scale, rotate or change colors as a group. Once you’ve created that Chrome Dragon, group the layers together and paste the whole thing a few more times, or save it as a Sticker Set to your PS3, for use later.

The Creation Station team here at UFG have worked really hard to make this system easy to use, but incredibly powerful. Whether you decide to create characters quickly and casually, or dive in and spend hours and hours, we know you’ll be able to create some truly unique and unbelievable characters!

We are incredibly excited to get ModNation Racers into your hands and see what you create! Start planning now:)

I look forward to any questions or comments. And be sure to head back next week for another ModNation Racers video walkthrough, track editing! Now back to work!

+ Kreamz28 on December 7th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Hey Rob,

I have a question for you:
Will there be tutorials included in the final version of the game like in LittleBigPlanet to get us started.

+ Rob Oliveira on December 7th, 2009 at 6:50 pm said:

Hi! Yes! While our game is very easy to get the hang of, we will be including tutorials to show you as many of the features as possible and get you up and running really quickly! Great question. Thanks!

+ PROPH3CY_ on December 7th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

wo0t!!! go0d job UGF!!! and thanks for this game!!! cant wait to make a character based on the 2010 Olympic from Richmond BC btw..can i drop-by to your studio and grab a voucher or better yet,the in up UGF!!!ohhh CANADA!!!!!!!!! =)

+ Rob Oliveira on December 7th, 2009 at 6:55 pm said:

Nice try but no vouchers here :) Haha. I love those Olympic mascots too! Rock on in Richmond PROPH3CY! Hope you get a chance to see some of that Olympic action. They\’re almost here!!!

+ Midiguy on December 7th, 2009 at 6:11 pm said:

Hi there. I’ve got a quick question.

I had bought the LBP goty edition a couple months ago, and on the box cover, it had a sticker saying that the voucher was included.

But then I opened the box, and I didn’t find any voucher code.

Though I remember reading that only the first batch of goty editions were suppost to have the code. But then since there was a sticker saying that there was a code included, I’m wondering if something went wrong.

So anyway, I mainly just want to know if this is normal. If anyone could shed some light on my predicament. ^^

+ JamesL007 on December 7th, 2009 at 6:17 pm said:

The beta code wasn’t in the bundle packs from Bestbuy where you got the LBP: Game of the Year Edition from along with Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack in Time. What gives for that or was it only specialty marked Game of the Year Editions of LBP? I say it is but a few guys had us wondering if it was all GOTY of LBP or just marked ones.

+ Brapp347 on December 7th, 2009 at 6:20 pm said:

Hey rob, is there any info on what will and won’t be in the beta? I’m guessing there will be track creation, but what about character karts and sharing?

+ Rob Oliveira on December 7th, 2009 at 7:20 pm said:

Yo Brapp! You\’ll be able to sample all of the above in the beta. You\’ll be able to use all the creation areas of our game and share your creations online!

+ Sancor on December 7th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

Rob, thanks for addressing my question before.
Now, as Art Director, when can we expect some nice renders, stock of Modnation Racers so we can start working on banners, and beautiful threads?

Thanks again!

+ Rob Oliveira on December 7th, 2009 at 6:58 pm said:

Hey Sancor! The marketing machine is revving up, so i can\’t give you any dates, but you should expect stuff like that to start coming out in the near future. Keep your eyes peeled and check back with the blog!

+ ZildjianKX on December 7th, 2009 at 7:01 pm said:

I just bought LittleBigPlanet GOTY edition today… I couldn’t find the beta code in the box… I guess copies of the game are already being sold without the beta key? :( Is it supposed to come on an insert?

+ seedaripper1973 on December 7th, 2009 at 7:12 pm said:

@Chuck Lacson…
Many thanks, i take back anything unproper i may of uttered before…yay! Europe (UK) gets the beta too ;)

er…when? after xmas?

+ Chuck Lacson on December 7th, 2009 at 8:00 pm said:

Most likely I\’m afraid. Although I hear it will be worth the wait. :)

Stay tuned for more details.

+ xeno3d on December 7th, 2009 at 6:43 pm said:

Can’t wait to try this out!

+ Kchow23 on December 7th, 2009 at 11:16 pm said:

Will ModNation Racers use Sony’s Motion Controller and Camera in any shape or form? Also nice to see devs from Canada if you guys throw a launch party in Vancouver. I’ll be there, Canada Rules :)

+ freakzilla149 on December 8th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

Sorry about my pathetic English last time. I’m back with yet another idea.

How about a detailed ranking system that allows players to rate several aspects of the user created level.

So, maybe you could rate the scenery, the track, the weapons, jumps etc. So that people can easily find the kind of levels they’re looking for.

So if I want to play a really large track full of weapons and jumps etc but the background doesn’t matter then I can find that based on the ratings.

JUMPS *****
Overall *****

Just an example.

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

hey thanks again! your english is great man! Don\’t sweat it.

+ Demonized on December 8th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

I honestly can’t wait for this game, LBP is very cool and I enjoyed it but got bored after a while but ModNation is kart racing….I loved Mario Kart so much and this just opens up so many possibilities.

Here’s an idea for DLC or even an expansion pack down the road….open the racing world up into having not just kart racing but say racing on water with boats/jetski’s or even taking to the skies with planes/helicopters.

This game has the potential to sell for years with all the potential for incrimental DLC and expansion packs like listed above.

Can’t wait for the EU Beta (assuming I get in!) and eventually the final game!

+ Daucus on December 8th, 2009 at 12:01 pm said:

Reading through the replies, I’m just in awe on how well, fast and exciting the staff of United Front Games and some from SCEA responds to the questions that has been posted on these character creation videos. It’s great to know that this game is in some very strong hands.

Maybe you guys could set up an online chat event where the fans can ask away with questions and ‘hang’ out with the staff

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

Hear that Jeff and Chris? Make it happen!

+ Modboy96 on December 8th, 2009 at 12:47 pm said:

at modnation racers website it said if you signed up before december 3d you are automatically in clarification please

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

If you registered before Dec 3rd on we will be sending you a voucher on the 17th. :)

+ totalchaos1105 on December 8th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

@DZORMAGEN- i bought it new online at game stop. Would they accept open box game?

+ Darkxil on December 8th, 2009 at 1:02 pm said:

Few quick questions…

1. I live in England, will there be a chance that we will get the Beta in the future aswell as some other countrys?

2. What is the chance there will be Spinning floors and other movement pannels?

3. Is there a way in the engine that AL players will be able to take the shortcuts you make on tracks?

4. Whats the chance of the ability of making floating tracks? (Like Mario Kart’s Rainbow Road and Banshee Boardwalk)

5. It does have 4 Player Split Screen right?

6. I noticed in one video the ability to have the American Flag as a Character Texture, any chance there will be a Union Jack Texture too? (I probably wouldnt use it though lol)

Thanks for reading through these and I wouldnt be suprised if your not allowed to confirm them, but thanks anyway.

Oh, and an idea, how about a Wheel set you could unlock that removes the wheels and replaces them with a flat pad under your car that makes your it look like its floating but dosent chance its stats etc… (just a random thought)

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 1:43 pm said:

Hey Darkxil! I\’ll answer what i can.

1.There will be announcements on the European beta soon!

2.I can neither confirm nor deny this ;)

6.We currently don\’t have any flags in the game, but one could easily build a Union Jack if one wanted to.

Sorry i couldn\’t answer more, but there will be answers to your question in future updates soon!. Thanks for your questions and comments D!

+ Sulack on December 8th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

North Vancouver BC here. Its decal. I wanted to stop by and say hello but from what I saw you guys dont want visitors lol

+ Nathan320 on December 8th, 2009 at 1:07 pm said:

Will the full release have 4 player splitscreen for local multiplayer?

Also, will it have a battle mode?

+ Nekomasta on December 8th, 2009 at 1:14 pm said:

SWEET I WANNA GET THIS GAME SO BADLY!! Thanks so much for a beta and the opportunity to get it!

+ jpbslayer on December 8th, 2009 at 1:31 pm said:

Hey there, just wanted to say i bought LBP (GOTY) the day it came out just for this BETA. After the delays in beta i have decided that i wont use my code nor will i buy this game. Kinda sucks was really looking forward to this, but at the same time – im not going to give you guys 60$ for a game – when you cant hold true to a timetable. For those of you who dont know – beta was suppose to start in september. 3 months ago – if these guys say DLC is coming dont hold your breath

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:38 pm said:

Sorry you feel that way jpbslayer. Hope you reconsider and join in on Dec 18th!

Question- Where was it listed that the beta was scheduled for Sept?

+ DZORMAGEN on December 8th, 2009 at 1:49 pm said:

I REALLY HOPE this game sells 1 MILLION within the year of 2010! It looks so promising, and the creativity seems to be unlimited!!

+ FeistFan on December 8th, 2009 at 2:13 pm said:

@143: To be honest, I bought LBP (GOTY) mostly for this beta too — it sits waiting for the kids to unwrap it Christmas day, with the code in my drawer waiting for the day I can use it (I try entering it at least four times a week). While I feel your pain, I don’t share your attitude.

A 3-week beta starting in 2 weeks…YAY! I do already wish it was longer, and wish it started more than one week before the kids open their new games and controllers on Christmas. The competition between this and the titles they’ll get for Christmas will probably be fierce around our house. But unlike jpbslayer, if the beta meets expectations, this will be our first release-date purchase (already preordered at amazon…for now).

I’m excited to hear there’s a story/career mode, as hate being forced to play online. I love the idea of tracks long enough they take a “several minutes” to complete — hope there’s room for some of the tracks I’ve been building in my head.

I see you’ve been avoiding commenting on most specifics regarding gameplay, but let me repeat what others have said: I really REALLY hope you guys are serious about local multiplayer. Two-player as a bare minimum, four-player would be ideal. PLEASE don’t screw this up.

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 6:27 pm said:

I assure you UFG will deliver!

Hope you have a great ModNation holiday with the kids!

+ dan678762 on December 8th, 2009 at 2:16 pm said:

Excuse me Rob when I went to it said that they would be giving away beta codes between the 3rd and the 17th and it said in parantheses if you registered before the 3rd you are automatically in. I’m confused if this means I’m included in the beta or in the contest could you please clarify this for me

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 3:13 pm said:

hey dan! I\’ll try and get someone from Sony to help clarify for you. As I mentioned, UFG doesn\’t handle anything to do with the codes or beta registration. I\’ll try and get you an answer ASAP ok?

+ grey_jeep on December 8th, 2009 at 2:36 pm said:

Hey Rob,

I have a couple of questions. In Modnation Racers, will everyone be able to make caves within the themes? Will there be the option of putting water on the track or even making an underwater track?! Also what will the beta include?!

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

I\’m not going to spoil it for you but i will tell you that you can do 2 of the 3 things you mentioned :) The beta will include an opportunity for you to try Kart,Character and Track creation as well as share race and online!

+ dan678762 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:05 pm said:

+ Teflon02 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

Can my Questions please be answered… they never do ¦/

+ grey_jeep on December 8th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

Thanks! I can’t wait till your game!

+ Darkxil on December 8th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

Thanks for replying to my questions earlier, this game is the reason I got a PS3!

Im a big Mario Kart fan and ive always liked creating stuff alot, so yeah… 2 of my favorite things together! Woo Woo!

+ Darkxil on December 8th, 2009 at 4:26 pm said:

Oh yeah, in the Car creator before you choose a Body for your vehcle I noticed you just have a black frame…

Will player be allowed to race in a car with no Body and just have the framewok showing? Cause it looks cool.

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

I have and it does look cool :) Yes D you are more than welcome to try that. there\’s plenty of ways to make your kart look unique even if you\’re kickin it frame-style!

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 5:18 pm said:

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 4:58 pm said:

Funny you ask…I have never tried that! lol

+ higtide323 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

i hope sonny doesnt keep me out of this beta like the did the mag beta

+ DQShaner on December 8th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

Can’t wait! Lookc awesome!

+ conda3 on December 8th, 2009 at 6:26 pm said:

Oh man I registered somewhere during the week of the 3rd I just can’t remember.

Also for the contest if you register more than once your disqualified?

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 6:30 pm said:

No disqualifications. But it doesn\’t increase your chances! Good luck!

+ GammaRay489 on December 8th, 2009 at 6:38 pm said:

Hey ModNation Devs!
As a fan of LBP Im really excited for this game, HUGE fan of Editors in any game (thats why im buying MNR). Huge thanks to all the devs working on this project for making my dream Kart game! Quick Question: Will this Beta allow me to play Against Computer controlled AI, or will this Beta be limited to Online only? Thank You, and can’t wait to race later this month!

+ SupaCake on December 8th, 2009 at 7:03 pm said:

Hello UFG, I have a few questions. [:

1. Will there be a “time trial” mode for dev created tracks and user created?

2. Will there be an online ranking system for the more skillful racers, such as Mario Kart Wii’s?

Thank you for your time.

+ Rob Oliveira on December 9th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

I can\’t give you specifics right now SC, but i can tell you there are many modes that one would expect in kart\\racing game. More announcements soon! thanks for your questions!

+ Stinvil93 on December 8th, 2009 at 7:35 pm said:

about the beta i recently bought a PS3 on Black friday and i bought little big planet and it came with a voucher for mod nation racers beta so will that code i got be good cuz i want to try this out game looks awsum

+ Naquiel on December 7th, 2009 at 11:46 pm said:

Ok my questions are more technical for the player made track area.

1. What is the square footage of the area we can create a track in? As in length, with and hight.

2. Will the game tell us if we go to far on putting in to many things that might hurt game play like LBP does.

3.How many cool sceenery parts do you have…like waterfalls or snow capped peaks and sandy dessert objects?

I know i have lots of questions, but i just wanted some info to help plan out the cool tracks i want to build.

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

hey Naquiel!
    1. not sure of the exact dimensions, but you can create really long and high tracks. The designers have make tracks that take several minutes to finish one lap, so they are quite substantial.

2.The game does have budget meters that tell you what your overall limit is and your limits on individual objects where applicable.

3. We will be announcing exact numbers later on, but i can tell you we have hundreds of scenery objects for you to choose from when decorating your track. We have themed objects as well as many race props to choose from. We think you\’ll be spoiled for choice!

thanks for your questions!

+ Trucidation on December 8th, 2009 at 12:02 am said:

Kind of a bummer for the people who bought LBP when it was release, before GotY edition came out…

+ Droopysp on December 8th, 2009 at 12:09 am said:

Hey rob,
You guys at media molecule have been doing a beautiful job with this game and LBP…U guys ahould talk to sony on making like a mii/avatar thing like the other 2 consoles got…2 is there going to be xmb music included

+ SPOOKULA209 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:28 am said:

I am very excited about this game. Mario Kart was always one of my favorite games and this seems to be in the same vein but much better imo. Hopefully I get in the beta, I signed up so I will keep my fingers crossed

+ TubaDude49 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:35 am said:

@111Not Media Molecule, United Front Games

+ Spookiekiller on December 8th, 2009 at 4:44 am said:

Since this game is partially based on 4 player splitscreen, you should make it so that every splitscreen player can login with his/hers PSN account. It’s fun to create your own personal profiles and even more fun to keep tabs on statistics etc.

+ Halfazedninja on December 8th, 2009 at 5:00 am said:

I got the LBP:GoY edition that came with my PS3 when I bought it at Best Buy. I didn’t see a voucher for a code anywhere. Am I missing something or did those not come with codes?

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

NOTE- Only specially stickered copies of GOTY had the voucher.

If the copy of the game was new and it had a sticker on the front indicating that it had a voucher then it should have it.

If there was no sticker then it\’s not included. :(

+ MIDEVOL on December 8th, 2009 at 5:02 am said:

Good thing my buddy’s brother lost my copy of LBP the replacement GOTY edition he got me has the ModNation Racers beta voucher in it! COME ON DEC 18th Cant Wait…Keep up the awesome work UFG!!

+ Teflon02 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:06 am said:

Why when i got GotY mine came with a Beta Code that doesnt have a scratch and its paper but shows a code?

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

Weird. There should be a scratch off. If the game wasn\’t used and it was still wrapped, the code should work.

+ Teflon02 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:08 am said:

please tell me that works because i only bought GotY for the beta & im hearing my beta invite voucher isnt exactly the same

+ Chuck Lacson on December 8th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Your GOTY beta voucher goes live on December 18th when the Beta starts. Redeem then and you should be set.

+ RustyBullets on December 8th, 2009 at 5:18 am said:

Game looks amazing. Cant wait.

+ Reesimo on December 8th, 2009 at 5:24 am said:

This game looks fun, can’t wait to give it a go!

+ MIDEVOL on December 8th, 2009 at 5:26 am said:

Hey Rob,
Like LBP will there DLC costume apparel like the motorstorm or the resistance fall of man add ons after the full game is released? Also if any of us in the MNR community has an idea for a DLC add on will it be considered if licensing rights allows it?

+ Rob Oliveira on December 8th, 2009 at 10:40 am said:

We\’re currently concentrating on finishing the game before we get too ahead of ourselves with DLC(although we are very excited by the possibilities) We will definitely be listening to the community and would love to hear what you folks want to see in the future for DLC. Can\’t promise anything but we\’ll definitely be open to your suggestions!

+ Sindred on December 8th, 2009 at 5:29 am said:

Thanks for answering my question guys. This is at the top of my list this coming year.

So we got a Platform Share game, and an awesome Racing-Share game…. Now who’s gonna tackle an Adventure/RPG-making game with the easy-to-use interface of LBP and MN?

+ SEVENTY7 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:36 am said:

Awesome work! Easier than AI too haha. Can’t wait to see more details on the game because it looks really impressive so far.