PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

PS3 3.15 System Software Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Dec 08, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) will receive its next system software update shortly – v. 3.15. This is an optional update, and it enables existing PS3 owners who purchase a new PS3 system (perhaps as a second unit for the household) to transfer their content from their current PS3 to the new system. Content such as games, game save data, and videos downloaded from PlayStation Network can be transferred to the new PS3 system and deleted from the current PS3 system. Other content, including personal media files (photos, music, videos), can be copied onto the new PS3 and remain on the current PS3 system.

Here’s a quick primer on how the Data Transfer Utility works (UPDATED).

Data Transfer Utility

1. Connect both PS3 (A) and PS3 (B) with a LAN cable and connect both PS3 to the TV (using different video input connectors). (Please note, do not unplug any cables when the PS3 power is on.) Turn both the current PS3 (A) and new PS3 (B) on. Please note, firmware (v3.15) must be installed on both systems.
  2. On the XMB of PS3 (A), scroll to the Settings category and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
  3. Follow the instructions on-screen and select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3 system.]
  4. When PS3 (A) is in standby and ready for transferring data, switch the screen to PS3 (B), scroll to the Settings category on XMB and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
  5. Follow the instructions on-screen and select [2. Transfer from the other PS3 system to this system.]
  6. After transferring the data, follow the instructions on-screen.
  7. If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate PS3 (B) before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.

More details on Data Transfer Utility will be available here once the firmware update is live.

minis

The 3.15 update also enables “minis” to be played on a PS3 system. As we’ve reported here before, “minis” launched on PlayStation Network this fall in conjunction with the launch of PSPgo. These bite-sized games offer a more casual experience and are ideal for shorter gameplay sessions. Now PS3 owners will be able to play “minis,” and those who own both a PS3 and PSP system will be able to play on either platform. “minis” for the PS3 system will be available for download on PlayStation Store in the coming weeks. If you’ve purchased any “minis” already for your PSP and the title becomes available for PS3, you’ll simply need to download the title to your PS3.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

423 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 9

+ SPARDA on December 8th, 2009 at 8:40 am said:

Nice little Update

Thanks

+ BEASTXJASON on December 8th, 2009 at 8:41 am said:

Minis on ps3 woohoo now let us play psp games and ill be set.

+ poweredbyzen on December 8th, 2009 at 8:42 am said:

very helpful seeing that i might get the 250GB slim this christmas! happy holidays!

+ Moosehole on December 8th, 2009 at 8:44 am said:

Very good stuff, but this worries me:

““minis” for the PS3 system will be available for download on PlayStation Store in the coming weeks. If you’ve purchased any “minis” already for your PSP and the title becomes available for PS3, you’ll simply need to download the title to your PS3.”

In the coming weeks? We’re still waiting for avatars here so I’m not so sure I believe you. Also, The last sentence tells me that not all existing minis will become playable on PS3.

+ polo155 on December 8th, 2009 at 8:44 am said:

oh nicee

+ Fexelea on December 8th, 2009 at 8:46 am said:

So how is this different from the system backup/restore? (besides the obvious fact that you don’t need any intermediary hdd)

Also… when are we seeing an update that allows us to have more than one psn account on a psp? I’m not going to buy a copy of each psp game for each family member, yet everyone wants to play in their profile…

+ BiezulbubBill69 on December 8th, 2009 at 8:48 am said:

Still waiting on cross game VOICE chat. Thanks.

+ adolson on December 8th, 2009 at 8:49 am said:

@6 it moves copy-protected game saves (ie: Killzone 2, Demon’s Souls, Rock Band, etc).

+ Sindred on December 8th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

Thanks. We just bought a new PS3 so this will help. Although I simply copied saves and photos over, so I guess this is just a more simple way of doing it.

I hope Gameloft releases more of their Iphone games as Minis. Games like Dunegon Hunter and Rogue Planet would be awesome, especially now that they can be played on PS3.

+ Keeng on December 8th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

Heh, I didn’t see this coming at all. I like the idea of some of the minis being playable at home. Also, and I realize this is a sort of technical question, can the data transfer system be used to aid with a HDD upgrade? I’ve been wanting to install a larger HDD in my 60GB PS3 for about a year but I don’t have any other device that I can back up everything to. Could I, for example, transfer my things to my roommate’s PS3, insert the new HDD to my own, and then transfer it all back?

Thanks in advance if you guys answer and, as usual, keep up the great work!

+ ATOMS11 on December 8th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

Sweet! Any news on the premium avatar update? I noticed the option is now available, but it says the premium avatars are in the PlayStation store… and there not.

+ Fexelea on December 8th, 2009 at 8:53 am said:

@8: So does the backup/restore (I have done Demon’s Souls actually). Still wondering what’s different?

+ Android66 on December 8th, 2009 at 8:54 am said:

Does this work even on games that don’t normally allow copying of data?

I can’t copy my save file of Assassin’s Creed II, for example, so that I can play it on the living room TV instead of in my office. So, whatever console I start the game on, that’s the only one I can ever play it on unless I want to start a new game. And, yes, I could unhook the system and carry it from one room to another, but that defeats the point of having two PS3s.

It always disappoints me to come across games whose developers forbid the copying of save data from one PS3 to another (Some PS2 games are like this as well). Can’t Sony just make a policy forcing developers to allow save data to be copied to a USB flash drive?

+ jncasanova on December 8th, 2009 at 8:54 am said:

Hope we can play PSP games on PS3 in the future!

+ Korbei83 on December 8th, 2009 at 8:58 am said:

Good work. Now for a sea of “Cross-game chat” crap.

+ SoYoung on December 8th, 2009 at 9:00 am said:

not quite usefull. When i wanted to transfer my old stuff with my new ps3 is when i got the YLOD, 2 times now. So i lost all my save, my singstar videos download and all. I’m on a slim now but I dont see the point to get another ps3 if my old ps3 still works.

Make an update for our games we can redownload as many time as we want in our account. Just ban the people who are sharing, because its because of this that honest costumer gets punished.

+ iExile on December 8th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

We want new avatars, normal sized font (not huge like it is now), and a trophy sync fix.

+ Zezzler on December 8th, 2009 at 9:03 am said:

Can you Copy Minis from the psp to a ps3 if they have the same PSN?

Great Update.

+ zombie9 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

We can move are stuff to another system big deal. U still can only have 5 systems actived in your life time and if you buy a 6th and Activate it you will not be able to dowmload any thing (NOTHING) from PS store will work with the 6th PS3 (fix that) Please.

+ Ftwrthtx on December 8th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

I can play some Zombie Tycoon on my PS3 now. Cool!

+ NEJI64 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

do the data transfer work on PS3s’ that have YLOD.

+ scorpio182 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

Funny i just setup my second PS3 last night..dohhhh This could have helped..

Dido on this comment…

+ cronqvist on December 8th, 2009 at 9:16 am said:

Nice. It’ll make everything easier when my new Slim arrives in the mail. :D

+ yanksfan216 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

does this also adress the god of war collection freezing issues?

+ jBat17 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

hi,

does this also transfer the web browser bookmarks? i have a lot of websites bookmarked in my ps3 browser and i’m thinking about getting the slim.

+ Rinaldus91 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:19 am said:

Convenient little update, but still waiting on cross-game chat as well as new avatars.

+ poodude on December 8th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

I guess those rumours about minis on the PS3 were true. Now if we can get a firmare update that allows for an “appear offline mode”.

+ DNAgent on December 8th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

Another lame time consuming update. I don’t even know why this is 3.15 Seems like it would be 3.11 not to mention there hasn’t been a big update since dynamic themes (and even then we don’t have many dynamic themes or even new avatars which was announced back then). I don’t count an emo application like facebook or colored friends list (which looks even worse than the gray/grey boxes) a big update.

+ Wollan on December 8th, 2009 at 9:20 am said:

Will locked save files (Killzone 2, Assassins Creed 2, Demon’s Souls) transfer with PS3 system transfer?

+ TurismoM3 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:22 am said:

Dear Eric Lempel,

Please address this issue……

My PS3 has broke twice this year. Each time I had backups using the Backup Utility. Each time when I restored the backup to the “Repaired System from Sony Canada” it thought it was a different system & “Did not Restore all my COPY PROTECTED SAVES”. It was the same unit with parts replaced. So I lost my progress on Killzone 2, High Velocity Bowling, Rockband just to name a few.

Not being able backup “Copy Protected Saves” is a real pain. If your going to have these types of saves either allow us to back them up or come up with some other solution. Like how about tie the save to the PSN account & allow it to be Backed Up somehow. Please.

I’d like a reply on this issue, as this issue is on forums everywhere.

+ dragonmagician on December 8th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

I can’t believe it is taking so long to add more avatar pictures. Sounds like such a trivial addition.

+ Wollan on December 8th, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

Will locked save files like Killzone 2, AC2, Demon’s Souls..etc be copied with system transfer?

+ triple_lei on December 8th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

@zombie9

What do you think Account Management > System Activation is for?? You shouldn’t ever get near that limit.

+ Than_Drake on December 8th, 2009 at 9:26 am said:

all well and good. . . im not gonna shell out another 350 for a 2nd PS3. . . ive already bought two and the first on was stolen

+ angelcoma on December 8th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

Hey guys. I wanted to post this since none of the idiots that spam “I WANT THIS I WANT THAT” post about it.

Anyway we can get an update to let us download while we are watching a Bluray/DVD movie or playing PSone/PS2 games?

That would rock my socks off.

+ zombie9 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:28 am said:

@32 yea if your system dies due to failure and you send it in Sony will not deactivate your system for you so your SOL.

+ Callahan09 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:29 am said:

Nice! Minis playable on the PS3, that’s so cool. Finally, Tetris on the PS3! I was wondering how long it was gonna be before a Tetris game was made available for the PS3.

+ tosun01 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:31 am said:

Tried to log in on PS store now, and then I received a message saying that the service is not available on my region. Same happened for both PSN UK and US.
What is happening?

+ brandroidanimal on December 8th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

sony, you guys are doing great. im serious, the list of services and features you promised pre day one (as well as the ones you come up with along the way with the help of our feedback) is coming along nicely.

+ KazeEternal on December 8th, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

Good news on the Minis front. Still need a transfer utility for backups that allows us to move saves in the case that our PS3 dies. Can’t transfer one to the other using this system if your PS3 has bitten the dust. However thank you for this transfer utility as I plan on getting a Slim if the new PS3’s ever get a PS2 emulator.

Curious as to why the Mini’s aren’t running off some kind of virtual machine. I’m a little confused by the whole “Minis for PS3 if you already own them for PSP” deal. Sounds like hte code is being run natively. If there is an emulator involved please apply it to PSP games ASAP.

+ Aggie_CEO on December 8th, 2009 at 9:33 am said:

Copy protected game files…..do they copy over as well??

+ Santos21 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:34 am said:

And let the cross game voice chat whining begin!!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 8th, 2009 at 9:34 am said:

This is an ok update..i would like to suggest one quite simple..being able to use the xmb during a MOVIE..ive had plenty of massages while i would watch a movie but dont really have the chance to reply.that kinds sucks..also it would be awesome if we could send VIDEO CLIPS via mail ..that would be cool too :) besides that..im very happy and satisfied with my ps3 60gb..which i updated to 300gb..;p

+ spunnups on December 8th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

2 Things I’d like to point out:

Where is the Trophy Fix and where are the Avatars we were promised weeks ago? Not demanding either one just wondering, especially the trophy fix. That is something that has been an ongoing isssue.

Also, I agree with #42, not being able to use the XMB while watching a Movie is very frustrating and I think a lot of others may agree as well.

+ DeviantBoi on December 8th, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

I will echo the sentiment of various people here and say that you need to solve the trophy sync problem that has been plaguing the system for several weeks now.

+ acerazer1 on December 8th, 2009 at 10:04 am said:

YEAHHHH ERIC, YOU’RE THE MAN

+ stennex on December 8th, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

THIS SOUNDS LIKE THE OLD SONY.

Still does not solve my issue with video content and my user account.The first PS3 Slim i got i had to take it back due to video card not working. Not knowing that you have to deactivate the video which i think is just ridiculous i am still not able to download any of my original and new video content. Why should i have to buy over what i had already paid for. The backup solution for the PS3 from HDD is flawed i lost a lot of my saves.

REMEMBER SONY NOT EVERYONE HAS A SECOND PS3 BUT WE STILL WOULD LIKE TO BACKUP AND RESTORE OUR FILES PROPERLY ESPECIALLY FROM AN EXTERNAL HDD.

+ BlooodyCow on December 8th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

Still no new avatar? FAIL

+ jqtaxpayer on December 8th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

Can you pick and choose which content gets transferred — i.e. to transfer a person’s Killzone 2 save data, but leaving a person’s Demon’s Souls save data intact? This would be helpful to those of us who purchase a second PS3 for the sake of allowing multiple persons in a household to get more equal play time.

Someone else already said this, but while the ability to play Minis on PS3 would be nice, I’d much rather be able to play full PSP games… I currently own a PSP, but tend to prefer playing on an HDTV when I’m not on the road, and I’m usually not on the road. Ape Escape, for instance, is one of my favorite Sony franchises, but I haven’t finished On The Loose because I don’t travel as much as I used to… being able to play it on the PS3 would remedy that (and the fact that PS3 currently has no Ape Escape game), and would likely get me to purchase many more PSP games.

+ TJ-Max on December 8th, 2009 at 10:07 am said:

It is interesting that they were so confident that people were interested in buying more than one PS3 that they dedicated an entire firmware for it.

PAGE 1 2 3 9