Driveclub

PS3 3.15 System Software Update

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Dec 08, 2009 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Hi everyone, PlayStation 3 (PS3) will receive its next system software update shortly – v. 3.15. This is an optional update, and it enables existing PS3 owners who purchase a new PS3 system (perhaps as a second unit for the household) to transfer their content from their current PS3 to the new system. Content such as games, game save data, and videos downloaded from PlayStation Network can be transferred to the new PS3 system and deleted from the current PS3 system. Other content, including personal media files (photos, music, videos), can be copied onto the new PS3 and remain on the current PS3 system.

Here’s a quick primer on how the Data Transfer Utility works (UPDATED).

Data Transfer Utility

1. Connect both PS3 (A) and PS3 (B) with a LAN cable and connect both PS3 to the TV (using different video input connectors). (Please note, do not unplug any cables when the PS3 power is on.) Turn both the current PS3 (A) and new PS3 (B) on. Please note, firmware (v3.15) must be installed on both systems.
  2. On the XMB of PS3 (A), scroll to the Settings category and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
  3. Follow the instructions on-screen and select [1. Transfer data from this system to the other PS3 system.]
  4. When PS3 (A) is in standby and ready for transferring data, switch the screen to PS3 (B), scroll to the Settings category on XMB and select [System Settings] and then [Data Transfer Utility]
  5. Follow the instructions on-screen and select [2. Transfer from the other PS3 system to this system.]
  6. After transferring the data, follow the instructions on-screen.
  7. If content that was downloaded from PlayStation Store was transferred as part of this operation, you must activate PS3 (B) before you can use the data. Log in to the PS3 system as the user who owns the content, and then select (PlayStation Network) > (Account Management) > (System Activation) to activate the system.

More details on Data Transfer Utility will be available here once the firmware update is live.

minis

The 3.15 update also enables “minis” to be played on a PS3 system. As we’ve reported here before, “minis” launched on PlayStation Network this fall in conjunction with the launch of PSPgo. These bite-sized games offer a more casual experience and are ideal for shorter gameplay sessions. Now PS3 owners will be able to play “minis,” and those who own both a PS3 and PSP system will be able to play on either platform. “minis” for the PS3 system will be available for download on PlayStation Store in the coming weeks. If you’ve purchased any “minis” already for your PSP and the title becomes available for PS3, you’ll simply need to download the title to your PS3.

As always, we look forward to your feedback.

423 Comments

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 9

+ KinjiroSSD on December 8th, 2009 at 2:44 pm said:

Good work. A second ps3 is looking more likely with each passing day.

+ xxnike629xx on December 8th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

oh and stuff i want in the future…

- psp games compatible on the ps3
- ps2 backwards compatibility
- ps3 “classics” sold on psn

+ xxnike629xx on December 8th, 2009 at 2:46 pm said:

and i find it funny that sony thinks anyone would own more than 1 ps3. they’re pretty expensive…even the current 120 gb and 250 gb models are expensive at $300 and $350 each…

+ xxnike629xx on December 8th, 2009 at 2:47 pm said:

i wonder though…

like if you could take a working ps3 and transfer data from a broken ps3? that’d be pretty useful…

+ Thrill_Kill on December 8th, 2009 at 2:50 pm said:

Sounds pretty good! You guys are finally on the right track going forwards! Now PLEASE FIX some of MY issues with the PlayStation 3.

Silent Hill PSOne title has sound FX issues on my PS3, but yet the game is available for download in the PSN, so that means you guiys fixed it for the ROM to work, but the retail game does not. PLEASE fix this in a firmware update! I want to use my real game on the system not just some ROM of it.

Also Ridge Racer V (PS2 game) needs to have the frequency for music playback set a notch up or down. I cant remember but the one the PS3 chooses for the game plays back the music scratchy and IIRC the frequency of the playback uncompressor is set wrong for the game. Please fix this so I can listen to the music in RRV properly on my PS3. It would also fix other games that use the same frequency as RR5 does. The DEVs need to know this stuff!

+ Enigma777 on December 8th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

Could you please explain to me, why anyone would ever want to play minis on a PS3? Honestly, that’s the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard.

I’m guessing that they’re selling terribly, so you want to push them more by opening it to PS3 owners. Except the fact that they’re built for a 4×3 inch screen, not a 50+ inch TV!

If you want to sell minis, drop their damn price… 10$ for Tetris?! REALLY?

+ xiked on December 8th, 2009 at 2:56 pm said:

Four words!

Cross…GAME…Voice….chat

When is it coming?!

Let me say it again…

Cross..game…voice…chat

btw.

the web browser is a joke, why not team up whit Firefox and get it right?

It is getting irritating to see this not being fixed.

Lets not forget xmb custom music in every game.

+ Makotoi on December 8th, 2009 at 2:58 pm said:

This is nice but what about people who want to get new hard drives? I just installed a new hard drive and it would have been much nicer if I could have transferred it to my PC or something.

Also, when are we going to get NTSF support? FAT32 on a 500GB USB drive wasn’t even possible with windows 7. I had to use an old laptop and use a separate program to hack it so it would work. Thanks.

+ starBlinky01 on December 8th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

so not all minis are compatible with ps3?

+ Miketheking75 on December 8th, 2009 at 3:03 pm said:

What ever happen to the 3d trophies.

+ UnholierThanThou on December 8th, 2009 at 3:14 pm said:

Still waiting for a folder organizing system for music and individual albums on the XMB. Please? It only makes sense considering the PSP does it now (which I again thank you for).

+ ElektroDragon on December 8th, 2009 at 3:29 pm said:

This is BRILLIANT! Congratulations on completely upstaging Microsoft on this issue. I don’t need to mess with custom discs, custom cables, and $13 charges for new kits because the non-updateable software in the old kits doesn’t support larger drives! Thank you for showing Microsoft how it’s done on this issue! Now if you only supported multi-user sign-in and trophy winning…. :)

+ CeePhour on December 8th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

@204
Uh, I own two… An 80GB and 120GB, and it’s a pain in the arse dealing with using the same profile. Anything that makes this easier is welcomed.

I’d even pay for a service that stored my saves on a remote server and downloaded them as needed by my profile wherever I sign in at (helloooooo Sony/MS/N…).

+ whitwhit on December 8th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

my question that i have is, will all ps3 minis have trophies in them since all ps3 titles need to have mandatory trophies in the games does anyone know the answer to that? Eric care to comment

+ ruibing on December 8th, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

Cool, now I can play the minis I bought for my PSP in HD.

+ zombie_56 on December 8th, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

just got my 55″ lcd and i am getting some lag in alomost all my games can anyone tell me how to fix this

+ ItaChu on December 8th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

was the trophy sync bug fixed ?

+ senocular on December 8th, 2009 at 3:43 pm said:

One less complaint for

+ Falcon_VII on December 8th, 2009 at 3:53 pm said:

Oh yeah, could you think of a way of letting us backup just our games saves? It’s really annoying having to wait for 3 hours while I do my monthly backup of my system just to get my games saves.

+ WestSiide on December 8th, 2009 at 3:54 pm said:

when will we get a useful firmware…?

+ jBat17 on December 8th, 2009 at 3:57 pm said:

@zombie_56

input lag FTL!

switch to GAME mode, if your tv supports it

also, turn off some tv settings that enchance the video and use Just Scan as the picture size

or go back to a CRT tv for the best response time

+ warmachineMPT on December 8th, 2009 at 3:58 pm said:

GOOD A NEW UPDATE…. HAS ANYONE ELSE BEEN HAVING PROBLEMS SYNCING THEIR THROPIES OR IT’S JUST ME?????… HOW ABOUT FIXING THAT FIRTS!!!

+ John_Oval on December 8th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

Well the transfer thing is nice…however it should have been available when the PS3 Slim was launched…that would have saved me a lot of hassle…but oh well, nice overall, I kinda wish their was more though…

+ Kchow23 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:03 pm said:

Nice update… what about premium avatars and could there be DYNAMIC AVATARS? Still waiting on Cross Game Chat + Party Settings and Video Store for Canada.

+ Dk_Vader on December 8th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

I would love to a type of “Movie gallery” for the PS3 that would have the movie’s dvd cover and information on the movie. A coverflow experience just like the features in XBMC. It would make watching movies on the PS3 more visual appealing and improve user experience when sorting through a large movie database like I have on my ps3.

+ thegame2003 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

GTA and GTA2 on PSN NEXT

+ sainraja on December 8th, 2009 at 4:14 pm said:

Now if Sony could only allow us to manage our own activations so we can activate/deactivate remotely or at the least be able to de-activate a system that we can’t turn on anymore!

+ wolverine81 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:16 pm said:

Awesome update! I just recently got a slim to add to my current 60g launch model. I’m hoping that this will solve the problem of the Demon’s Souls, KZ2, and Rock Band saves and content being copied. Please tell me it does.

+ CheapestGamer on December 8th, 2009 at 4:16 pm said:

As usual, Sony has chosen to highlight the useless crap the update includes and not the fact that they included a patch to fix the controller sync issues their own 3.10 firmware update created in the first damn place.

Good going, slappies. Now try actually testing these firmware updates in the future so you don’t end up borking anyone’s controllers or systems.

Then again, you idiots probably did it on purpose so people would send in their PS3′s for warranty service you greedy sob’s could make $150 on the suckers.

+ AngleofDeath696 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:18 pm said:

I know that we are going to get MKV eventually now that other Blu-Ray players are getting it and other great features has well. That if you still want to say that PS3 is the best choice to for a Blu-ray player or the best media player. But my question is when are we getting it.Keep up the great job.

+ CVTURBO on December 8th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

will this update fix the ps3 slim not detecting blu tooth devices because my 80Gb ps3 broke and i want to get a slim and this update is perfect for the transferring part but i dont want my slim to stop reading devises from update 3.10 so will there be a other update that will fix that?

+ SphereTubeBox on December 8th, 2009 at 4:20 pm said:

Suggestions:

Trophy Delete!!!

Toggle for friend notifications during video playback

Leave audio messages for friends

Change default XMB icons for turn off system, create new user, block list, add a friend, players met, and start a new chat. All are ugly :(.

Better on-screen keyboard (replicate the Danzeff OSK found here: http://pspupdates.qj.net/index.php?pg=49&aid=23876

Reorder downloads in download manager

Video playback control of L3 & R3 = Skip forward & Skip back

Toggle to default all system dialogues to “Yes” not “No” (aka “Quit Game”). And move “Delete Complete” and “Install Complete” to a upper corner notifier, instead of having to press circle to go back to XMB

Ability to easily add files to a album grouping in XMB… annoying having to type in album title to each individual file

The browser should auto-zoom the text field when entering data

Delete internet search history

+ Gogo_ZvC on December 8th, 2009 at 4:37 pm said:

How soon is shortly? Today!?! Tomorrow!?

Man this is great, they just keep these updates coming, hopefully we see another big one during the winter break (v3.2)!!

Good job!

+ scepterone on December 8th, 2009 at 4:38 pm said:

Will we need cross over or a straight through cable to do this? Thanks!

+ gilgamesh21 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:46 pm said:

Hi Eric, could 3.15 address these issues too? Maybe you can help?
1.Please allow the option to choose the “system start-up” I want.
a. Original “Sony Computer Entertainment/ classical music”.
b. New “PS3/ neo-classical music”.
2. Allow me to have the XMB icons/words stay visible or fade.
3. Allow me to turn on/off the “adticker” in top right corner.
4.Please allow me to choose which “media boot-up” screen I want.
a. Original “PLAYSTATION 3/ jingle” splash screen.
b. New “black screen/ no jingle”.
The original splash is comfortable and heart warming!
5. Please bring back basic black! I want the old black colour theme with my sparkles please! PSP has lots of colours to choose from PS3 doesn’t.
6. Allow me to turn off the Whats New icon, completely removing it from my XMB.
Everyone loves customization. Many PLAYSTATION 3 users would use these XMB options.
Thanks for your hardwork, I know Sony is trying to make PS3/PSN/XMB better,I appreciate that. I know SCEA may not be responsible for the changes, so please let SCEI know too. Happy Holidays!

+ isr25 on December 8th, 2009 at 4:53 pm said:

What about the problem with the DS3 synch with PS3 after the v3.10 update? is it fixed too in this release?

+ Hokage_45678 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:01 pm said:

ok…. maybe its me but all the firmware Sony Updates the PS3 system there is bound to be a problem luckly i was not one of them until FW 3.10. My problem is that when ever i play any game a like Assassins Creed II and Moder Warfare 2 and any other games my PS3 crashes atleast once a day and its a problem. So my question is that would this firmware fix my crashing problem?

+ SoYoung on December 8th, 2009 at 5:03 pm said:

#195 thats exactly what is happened with my ps3. My refurb that i pay 150$ was YLOD like 2 months later. So i have no choice to get a slim. and still waiting for 2 weeks to get my old ps3 back because my game is stuck inside but I’m sure with this superb refurb this old ps3 will work for what, 2 mores months…

+ elephant32 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:04 pm said:

i think it’s missing a way to have in all ps3 games a custom soundtrack please.

peace

+ isr25 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

Luckily my PS3 does not crash when playing games. Only the BlueTooth problem sometimes happen (maybe once in a week?)

Ability to delete trophies might be nice too

+ ThuggyMcBattle on December 8th, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

This would’ve been nice a couple months ago before I had to re-unlock all of my street fighter iv stuff when I got my replacement console, lol. Good stuff though

+ mrbarker18 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:13 pm said:

@241 why would you want to delet your trophys for its like its not takeing up any hard drive space.

+ Ado78 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:19 pm said:

Protected or locked gamesaves (KZ2, music game tracks etc..).
the EU blog haved confirmed these cannot be transferred via the new method.

So the new transfer method is exactly the same as external HDD method. you just have to lug around one of your ps3′s to the other rather than one of those cumbersome “portable” hdd’s.

it’s actually kind of discraceful, as some DLC music tracks are no longer available for redownload. So if you YLOD they are gone forever, well, pending Erik Estavillo getting wind of the injustice

+ aaronp01 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:24 pm said:

Okay so basically now, if someone steals your PS3, not only can they gain access to all your stuff, but now it’s easier than ever to transfer it all to another PS3 before selling the original stolen one on the black market! Thanks Sony. Was easier and more secure using gameshare with trusted friends and family. Good thing this is optional. Question, when the next mandatory FW update comes out, will this be bundled in with it? This makes it WAY too easy for fraud and identity theft on the PS3. Guess ther head of PlayStation Network Security isn’t doing their job very well.

+ Android66 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

While we’re on requests, how about the ability to delete game demos from your download history? At the very least, the ability to view these alphabetically or file them according to type (demo, game, add-on, etc.). Since it is chronological and includes everything, I have to scroll through 300+ items to find things (like the new episode of Qore, or a game I want to re-download).

I’ll never want to re-download a demo of a game I checked out over a year ago, even if the demo still is available. Maybe demos shouldn’t even “count” in the download history list…especially if they remain in the Store.

+ aaronp01 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:28 pm said:

@236:

You can already turn off What’s New through the system settings. Also, there is a workaround for the new ticker. Just set your year to 2010 and it will only display friends online and the message indicator. As for the original “tuning up” music, and the PS3 game start-up sound, I don’t think they’re ever coming back. There does need to be at least SOMETHING there though.

+ darktorns on December 8th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

i still have the hdd my old ps3 was sent for repairs but now sony gave me a refurb one, it cannot read it, i got hundred and hundreds of crazy play time, i cannot transfer it on any ps3 bcuz it requires to be formatted, how can i transfer it to my new ps3 if it cant even read my current ps3…. sony.. please help me restore my saves…

+ KNRasengan on December 8th, 2009 at 5:35 pm said:

Oh well this update doesn’t affect me much. It is interesting how we can play Minis now. I don’t have any on my PSP but since I can play on my PS3 now I might look for a good one. But if it can play PSP minis, it could be able to play PSP games. That would kind of ruin the point of having a PSP though but hey, PS1 games are on the PSS and PS3′s can play them so hey, when the PSP dies out like the PS1 we might be able to play those games on our PS3 but it probably will be the PS4. :)

+ iiiOSKBARBERiii on December 8th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

Wassup playstation cool update (v3.15) i like it, cause i just purshased another system 4 christmas so is cool to know that i could backup my memory. but wat i wanna know is when is the new avatars coming out. I know that 2 updates ago they was saying that we can purshase avatars from the PSN-store, but when i went to psn-store i din’t see nothing. i just can’t wait for the new avatars selections to come out, I know that ya working on it but i been waiting for 2 years please hurry!!! lol… ohh yeah MERRY CHRISTMAS TO PSN ‘ND TO ALL PLAYSTATION USERS MUCH LOVE “SONY” KEEP THE GOOD IDEAS COMING.

+ Snacher97 on December 8th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

How about the ability to upgrade a sub-account to a full account?

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 9