Bloodborne

Kurulin Fusion for PSP Available Today on PSN

Scott Pelland's Avatar + Posted by Scott Pelland on Dec 10, 2009 // MTO USA Marketing

Five years ago, I had the pleasure of listening to the music of Nobuo Uematsu at the Walt Disney Concert Hall in L.A. The concert, entitled Dear Friends–The Music of Final Fantasy, was performed by the Los Angeles Philharmonic orchestra and the Los Angeles Master Chorale, and conducted by Miguel Harth-Bedoya. I sat right behind the orchestra and geeked out for the entire performance. So when MTO USA asked me to help market their upcoming PSP game featuring Uematsu’s music, of course I said I would love to.

Kurulin Fusion turned out to be a cool little game, and what it lacks in Moogles and Chocobos it makes up for with futuristic graphics and a musical score directed by maestro Uematsu-san. But what makes the music even more of an exception is that every song is a variation of a classical composition by Johann Sebastian Bach. Believe me, when you listen to this game’s soundtrack you are in the company of giants. Two giants, in fact. With seven tracks and over 40 minutes of heavenly tunes, Kurulin Fusion is almost as big a deal for music fans as it is for puzzle/action fans.

Did I mention we’re selling it for a low, low, low price of just $4.99. (That’s the marketing pitch. Had to say it to get paid. Sorry.)

For me, the game itself is a bit hypnotizing; the glowing graphics and music can put a spell on you…and it just keeps getting harder. In Arcade mode, there are 100 levels of difficulty, and the gameplay goes on for flipping ever. Score Attack is the mode most likely to get your heart racing, though; with one minute or three minutes to ratchet up a high score, every second counts.

At the heart of Kurulin Fusion is a fairly recognizable game mechanic. Pairs of objects fall from the top of a well and it’s up to you to control them through rotations and sideways movements so that you set up opportunities to clear objects or, better yet, create chains and combos. Fusion Blocks (the square guys) trigger clearing events when they touch an Energy Orb (that’s our clever name for the round objects) of the same color. All the other adjacent Energy Orbs will clear and add to your score. If other objects fall into place to create more clearing events you’ve made a chain–congratulations!–which translates into serious point accrual. You can “fuse” Fusion Blocks together as well — as many as nine in a big square — and that creates a combo that will have you singing “Hallelujah!”

Let’s see, other cool ways to play Kurulin Fusion include Mission mode–thirty missions and an unlockable prize if you beat them all. And Multiplayer (a one-on-one wireless match with another local Kurulin Fusion player) is cool and, incidentally, a really good reason to tell your friends to get a copy of the game. (Okay, that’s marketing, but it’s also practical.)

Did I mention the music? I did? Well, it’s so great I built the website around it. (Did I mention that I built the official Kurulin Fusion web site at www.kurulinfusion.com? A labor of love. Please check it out, listen to the sample tunes, write to your congressperson about how awesome it is. Tell your friends. I also do lawns.)

So, you’re probably asking yourself what “kurulin” means? Am I right? Is that what you were asking yourself just then? Well, if you were, you’ll be really happy to learn that it means “spinning” in Japanese. Spinning Fusion! We think this may be the energy source of the future. But the funny thing is that MTO originally created a version of the game with cute doggies in it. We took one look at it at MTO USA and said it sort of looked like something that might appeal to a Hello Kitty fan. (Sorry HK fans, we love you, too, but kitties and doggies just aren’t cool enough for your average PSP player.) So they went back to the drawing board and came up with the nuclear, glowing esthetic that radiates excitement, challenge, addictive appeal and value.

Kurulin for PSP - screenshot1

Did I mention that the game is now available for a mere $4.99? Let’s put that into perspective. That’s less than the cost of a ham sandwich here in Seattle. So, the question really is this; would you rather play an engaging game with world-class, imaginative music and endless replay value…or have a sandwich?

I vote GAME, and I’ve been a huge freaking sandwich fan for years — but I’d rather have fun than be fat.

So that’s our marketing message: Have fun. Don’t eat.

We want to hear from you if you think you’ve got a better marketing message for Kurulin Fusion…it’s hard to conceive that any could be worse, but maybe you’re having an off day. How am I supposed to know unless you comment on the post.

Kurulin for PSP - screenshot2

Oh, and of course you can buy the game at the PlayStation Store starting today. Go. Now. Buy. Have fun!!! Lovely talking to you.

+ Scodo_Thope on December 10th, 2009 at 8:05 am said:

Time to dust off the PSP again!

+ xeno3d on December 10th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

Looks cool!

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ Scott Pelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:06 am said:

And your headphones. We really recommend the full audiophile experience on this one.

+ Locke_VI on December 10th, 2009 at 8:10 am said:

Sounds awesome! I’m a huge Nobuo Uematsu fan. Does the game support adhoc party?

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:36 am said:

Hi, Locke_VI: Good question. Hideki, our tech guy at MTO USA hasn\’t actually tested the adhoc party option. If you give it a try, be sure to let us know how it works. And I\’ve asked Hideki to give a try, as well.

Thanks!

+ TailsTheCat on December 10th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Wow.

The PSP certainly has had its day.

+ Jeigh on December 10th, 2009 at 8:17 am said:

Bach and Uematsu, eh? Nice choices. I do love my good music. And I’ll admit that it is quite pretty for the considered price. My compliments on this very attractive package.

And I vote “Game” as well. =P

So, it’s not a Mini?

+ CapinChronic on December 10th, 2009 at 8:20 am said:

You just sold me this game on the music alone…. the low low price helps too ;)_

+ CapinChronic on December 10th, 2009 at 8:22 am said:

You just sold me this on the music alone.. the low low price helps too ;)

+ spidersparlor on December 10th, 2009 at 8:32 am said:

“Kurulin Fusion. Not nearly as hard as the Kobayashi Maru.”

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:41 am said:

I\’m not sure how you\’d change the test conditions on KF, spidersparlor, but it sounds like you\’re already strategizing.

That brings up another point–pronunciation. Kurulin, which means \”spinning\” in Japanese, is pronounced koo-roo-lin. I spent the last month twisting that poor word by pronouncing it kew-roo-lin–much harder.

+ AKGermany on December 10th, 2009 at 8:39 am said:

Is this published under the PSP Mini label? If so, would it eventually run on PS3 with the new firmware?

+ Sekoku on December 10th, 2009 at 8:45 am said:

Nobuo Uematsu is always good. $5 even better.

Too bad I can’t hear anymore, so the main draw (Uematsu) is lost on me. :(

+ Hobartbob on December 10th, 2009 at 8:50 am said:

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

+ Mikaa1701 on December 10th, 2009 at 8:54 am said:

Cute idea.

Question, though: is this a Mini, or a regular PSP title? If it is a Mini, I assume it will be playable on the PS3 with the pending firmware update?

+ KwietStorm on December 10th, 2009 at 8:56 am said:

I could go for a good sandwich.

+ spatsnaz on December 10th, 2009 at 8:58 am said:

I’m not the biggest puzzle game fan in the world, but I am a huge fan of Bach’s as well as Uematsu’s work. Especially the FF6 soundrack gave away that Uematsu really appreciates Bach’s music. (The track Dancing mad has sections that could be straight out of a Bach toccata :-D)

So having said that, I’ll definitely buy this game. Incredible price too, by the way. ;D

ps. Did I hear some Well-Tempered Clavier in that audio clip?…

+ KazeEternal on December 10th, 2009 at 9:00 am said:

Was this tested on Ad-hoc Party?

certainly a game of interest.

+ Theodore87 on December 10th, 2009 at 9:00 am said:

Very nice! Definitely gonna get it.

+ Zezzler on December 10th, 2009 at 9:01 am said:

Is this a psp mini? i would really love to play it on my ps3 :P

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 9:12 am said:

Hey, Zezzler, several people have asked about that. Kurulin Fusion isn\’t a Mini title. It\’s regular PSP. The feedback is great, though, and you can be sure that everyone at MTO USA is listening.

Thanks.

+ SalMoriarty on December 10th, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

This looks like it plays similar to Capcom’s Puzzle Fighter. That’s not a bad thing, that just means I’m totally plopping down my hard earned for it.

+ Curtisio on December 10th, 2009 at 9:07 am said:

I’m buying!

+ wocyob on December 10th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

Nobuo Uematsu!!!!

thats damn awesome

that sold me alone :)

+ zachman3000 on December 10th, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Wow 5 bucks for a game with Uematsu/Bach remixes?

Freaking Sold! That’s a nice surprise.

+ Brapp347 on December 10th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Cheap!

+ gators625 on December 10th, 2009 at 9:52 am said:

I just made and ate a homemade sandwich for my lunch JUST SO I COULD AFFORD THIS

;)

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 10:01 am said:

Brilliant! The best of all possible worlds. I\’m with gators625 on this one.

+ bLiNdSiDe82 on December 10th, 2009 at 10:05 am said:

Definate purchase at that price.

+ DaveTheSnake on December 10th, 2009 at 11:16 am said:

Scott, how many megs is the download file?

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 12:19 pm said:

Good question. The team managed to compress the file to 20MB, so it won\’t take up tons of your memory.

+ acerazer1 on December 10th, 2009 at 11:33 am said:

variations on bach… super cool. wish i had a psp

+ TyrionXavier on December 10th, 2009 at 11:50 am said:

If this was a Mini title I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I haven’t bought any Minis yet, but with the new firmware update coming, I will be buying several.

Hey Sony! How’s about making ALL PSP games playable on the PS3? You’d have 15 or 20 sales immediately from this guy the moment that becomes possible!

+ twooh on December 10th, 2009 at 12:05 pm said:

Since it was said not to be a mini title, I will try it out.

The minis seem to suck. :P

+ UnholierThanThou on December 10th, 2009 at 12:11 pm said:

Soooo done with all of the Tetris/Bejeweled/Dr. Mario derivatives. I also agree that this should be a Mini, especially at the $4.99 price-point. But seriously, how many developers are out there right now working on more generic puzzle games when they could be giving us something TRULY original and fun? The PSN really IS turning into the Apple Store now with all of the shovelware. (Not that this is shovelware, per se. It’s just more of the same, for which I cannot say “thank you”)

+ teekomeeko on December 10th, 2009 at 12:52 pm said:

You had me at Nobuo Uematsu. And also at Bach. And also at $4.99.

This and Pixel Junk Shooter will make this coming weekend highly entertaining.

+ Nepraos on December 10th, 2009 at 1:12 pm said:

@at UnholierThanThou, (31)

I’m sure that there are plenty of puzzle fans out there like me out there that still appreciate theses “derivative” games.

I’m an all around gamer, but every now and again, I’d like to just sit and relax while subconsciously playing a puzzle game (I’m not sure if this is how others feel when they play but this is my way, it’s very relaxing). Even in this state, I have a lot of fun with Lumines, Tetris rehashes (The New Tetris on the N64 was my favorite) and even Critter Crunch.

To each his own, though, so I can understand that some may not like certain games…but I wouldn’t go and call a games that is related to Nobuo Uematsu shovelware. As soon as I saw that word, I thought “Oh. Oh no, that’s too bold.”

Anyway, I plan to get this game soon. I’m guessing this game would play fine with just the D-pad. Haven’t played much PSP games as my analog has a mind of its own. So yeah, another puzzler to my collection :)

One question though, will there be a way to somehow purchase the songs? These tracks are nice!

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 1:24 pm said:

Hi, Nepraos: I couldn\’t agree with you more about the relaxing nature of some puzzle games. With Kurulin Fusion, the music adds what I\’ve described as an almost hypnotic dimension–and that can turn out to be dangerous if you\’re concentrating more on the music than the game.

As for the soundtrack, MTO USA is planning on releasing a download in the near future. We\’ll definitely announce it on the official website, so be sure to check in at http://www.kurulinfusion.com.

+ BoneOfWorld on December 10th, 2009 at 2:52 pm said:

The graphics are well done, and the music is interesting. It’s a shame the game is only a Tetris clone.
It may only cost a couple of bucks, but how about using a bit more originality, guys? Otherwise this is no different from dozens of other free flash games out there already.

+ Nepraos on December 10th, 2009 at 3:12 pm said:

Thanks for the reply and the link, spelland :)

I love Uematsu’s work, so I’ll be looking forward to it.

+ Schobeleth on December 10th, 2009 at 4:22 pm said:

Wow this looks simply amazing. I didn’t know Uematsu worked on this, the fact that it’s his brilliance on top of Bach’s brilliance.. I think my head is going to explode. Going to buy+DL this now!

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:17 pm said:

I hope your head doesn\’t explode, Schobeleth, because that might make it harder for you to enjoy the game, the music and for the rest of us to enjoy your comments. Thanks!

+ Schobeleth on December 10th, 2009 at 4:28 pm said:

Also this soundtrack BETTER be available for purchase, somewhere. If it’s not, that will be a heinous crime :(

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:19 pm said:

MTO USA is planning on releasing the music as a separate download. We don\’t want to be a accused of taking part in any crime.

+ Zephram on December 10th, 2009 at 6:39 pm said:

Can we all agree that Uematsu-san should continue to weave his melodic magic for as long as he draws breath?

Final Fantasy has never been the same without him.

Long live Nobuo Uematsu !!!

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 10th, 2009 at 8:20 pm said:

Here, here, Zephram. I couldn\’t have said it better.

+ UnholierThanThou on December 10th, 2009 at 11:17 pm said:

@Nepraos Fully agreed, sir. I feel ya. I’m just not a puzzle fan anymore, and it seems like more than half of the new IP on the PSN are puzzle games. Just ready for something imaginative and totally different, personally. I respect ya, bro! :)

+ Casanova on December 11th, 2009 at 12:55 am said:

Right after I read this, I instantly grabed my PSP and downloaded this game. For $5, this is an awesome game. My only complaint is that in Arcade mode, around level 29 or so; the blocks drop too fast. It drops so fast that it practically appears at the bottom of the screen LOL!

Scott Pelland's Avatar

+ spelland on December 11th, 2009 at 10:19 am said:

I guess the relaxation bit goes out the window at that stage. But look at it this way, you\’re going to develop such incredible reflexes that the rest of the world will seem as if time has stopped.

+ TomcatTheLion on December 11th, 2009 at 6:04 pm said:

Bought it and played Arcade mode up to level 35 or so. Loving it so far and the music is delicious to the ears. =)

+ R-O-Ofaliss on December 13th, 2009 at 6:41 pm said:

Agreed, I usually stay away from puzzle games Im not that good at them, but when I heard the name Nobuo Uematsu, and listened to the music clip, I came a little bit, then I bought it. The music is super amazing, and I actually enjoy the game too.