GTAV PS4

Get Ready to Race! The Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge Starts This Week!

Taku Imasaki's Avatar + Posted by Taku Imasaki on Dec 14, 2009 // Producer, SCEA

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers and GT fans. Two weeks ago we announced the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, and I’m here to give you a breakdown of what to expect when the demo hits PSN this coming Thursday.

This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real “challenge” for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don’t worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you’ll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5’s 950+ cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

370Z_002_B 370Z_t_002_B

One thing you may have been wondering since the announcement two weeks ago is which track you’ll be competing on. Well, as suggested by the prizes, you’ll be racing on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway course, on a special road course layout of this historic track, stunningly re-created as only the masters at Polyphony Digital can. And as you can tell from the screenshots (visit the official GT website for the full gallery), it looks gorgeous. And it’s fitting that the competition is set on Indy, because the fastest US player and fastest Canadian player will win VIP packages to the 2010 Indianapolis 500 next May.

370Z_t_001_B 370Z_003_B

There will be two time trial events available when you boot up the demo, both featuring the Nissan 370Z. One event will put you behind the wheel of the car in its stock configuration, and the other lets you drive a tuned version with reduced weight, tires with more grip, and more aerodynamic body parts. The tuned version drives and handles a little better, so you’ll want to start with it to get a feel for the game and to learn the track. When you’re ready, take the stock 370Z for a spin, but be careful to watch your throttle or you really will be going for a “spin.”

370Z_t_005_B 370Z_005_B

And of course the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge is your entry method for a chance to win round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, in May. Each winner also gets a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day (final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. The fastest players from both the US and Canada will represent their fellow GT fans at this exciting historic race. That’s a pretty sweet way to spend a weekend.

IMS1 IMS3

That’s about it. I look forward to seeing you all competing for that top spot down to the wire on January 25. Look for me competing against your time, if I make the top tier. My PSN ID is skebe. Good luck!

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ DZORMAGEN on December 14th, 2009 at 10:33 am said:

This is going to be FUN!

+ whoelse on December 14th, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

cannot wait!

+ Tspellins on December 14th, 2009 at 10:36 am said:

I am determined to win!!

+ tetsou9shima on December 14th, 2009 at 10:38 am said:

Thanks so much for more Grand tourismo…..I love playing the psp version but I can’t wait for GT5. I’m sure I’ll never make the top time but it will be fun trying.

+ Karsghul on December 14th, 2009 at 10:41 am said:

Stop making demos and finish the game please!

But thanks…Can’t wait to check it out :P

+ DUBMNM on December 14th, 2009 at 10:42 am said:

LETS DO IT!

+ Sindred on December 14th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

You people are beautiful. DEC 17th, here I come.

+ Xeerochild on December 14th, 2009 at 10:43 am said:

Sounds great, just one question:

Will the demo include some form of damage?

+ lcmnick on December 14th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

Can’t wait, but come on, throw us a bone…when are we going to hear more about GT5′s features.

It’s been so long without info…

+ Jon_Mclane on December 14th, 2009 at 10:45 am said:

How big will this download be? I gotta make room on my hard drive.

Taku Imasaki's Avatar

+ Chris Hinojosa-Miranda on December 14th, 2009 at 11:37 am said:

The download is around 250mb… about an album\’s worth of space (and you know you\’ve been looking for a reason to get rid of those Britney Spears mp3s).

+ BlooodyCow on December 14th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Any word on a release date for North America for GT5?

+ Cheddare on December 14th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

Hey guy,s I don’t mean to sound offensive here, but you guys at Sony really need to tell these execs to shut their traps about this pay-to-play junk. Because the way they are approaching it is leaving a lot of room for speculation which is in turn leading to a lot of pissed off ps3 owners.

Perhaps if your execs are going to talk about something in interviews they could know what they are talking about first. You know have the facts and not just spout off at the mouth talking about pay-to-play.

If the service were to go pay-to-play today I would sell it. You have a lot of stuff to implement before evening bringing stuff like that up. Hence why people are getting angry hearing about it.

Avatars, Cross-game voice chat, Different formats of external HDD support, different video/audio codecs, the list literally goes on and on. But no one at Sony (That can make these changes I know you guys have been listening) has been listening for 3 years and now they are talking about charging us for a poor-service? (Great service for free but you tack on even a $10 annual price tag right now it isn’t worth it) I see it as a smack in the face to everyone that bought a ps3 advertised to play online for free.

+ slickjones on December 14th, 2009 at 10:47 am said:

DOODOOROODOO DOODOOROODOO

DOODOOROODOO DOODOOROODOO

(GT3)

+ Fersis on December 14th, 2009 at 10:48 am said:

The retail version will have any HUD customization options? Like turning off the circuit map or lap times?

+ ShotgunSean on December 14th, 2009 at 10:49 am said:

great a taste of gran turismo 5 finally i been playing prologue anticipating gt5 hopefully this will sooth my hunger for lil while this prolly has to be the most thought about game i think about the most more then any other game so far yet lol cant wait for gt5 this thursday looking forward to it

+ ShotgunSean on December 14th, 2009 at 10:50 am said:

by the way i have question does demo include ingame music?

+ Leaphart3 on December 14th, 2009 at 10:53 am said:

I can’t wait to check out the demo. For those of you in the US/Canada who have dreamed of making it to the GT Academy, check out http://www.facebook.com/fuelingdreams. You could be the Longshot and get yourself a ride in NASCAR at Revolution Racing! Thanks GT5 and Sony.

+ Trieloth on December 14th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Hellz Yeah cant wait for this :)

+ Blkant on December 14th, 2009 at 10:57 am said:

Only two cars :/ that hardly gives me a taste for the game :(

+ MastrGT on December 14th, 2009 at 10:59 am said:

Thanks, Taku!

Do you have a sample video for us yet?

GT fans: please visit the GT forum here for information, friendly competition and help.

Cheers,

MasterGT

+ that-acmilan-guy on December 14th, 2009 at 11:08 am said:

This is……..EPIC *CRIES*

+ remanutd5 on December 14th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

sweet!!!!! lets see if i can get a decent time lol

+ MeanMrMustard on December 14th, 2009 at 11:09 am said:

I live in Indiana, and have been to the 500 before. The race is monumentus and the crowd and party could hardly be topped. Good luck to everyone. Believe me when I say that this is a GRAND prize!

+ jBat17 on December 14th, 2009 at 11:17 am said:

no assists?! this is going to hard using a ps3 controller.

+ whoombat on December 14th, 2009 at 11:18 am said:

I didn’t realize that us Canadians weren’t being left out on this one. On behalf of all Canadian PS3 owners, Thanks for including us!!!!

+ acerazer1 on December 14th, 2009 at 11:27 am said:

Looking forward to the demo, I’m not really interested in doing the challenge, since I don’t have that much experience with racing sims, so I’d probably prefer as much assistance as I can get since I’d play just to drive awesome cars.

+ BankeA on December 14th, 2009 at 11:30 am said:

Saweeeet, awesome!

+ hanyPS on December 14th, 2009 at 11:31 am said:

is this demo going to be unlimited time or it will expires after announcing the winner

+ varmintx on December 14th, 2009 at 11:35 am said:

If you want more details and a video of the demo, go here:

+ sscoolChea on December 14th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

# 1 Contender RIGHT HERE

+ thepatriots on December 14th, 2009 at 11:44 am said:

Are the graphics based on GT5p or GT5? I know the physics are GT5. Is the demo G25 compatible? Will there be another “official demo” for GT5 or is this it? Thanks for your time.

+ perrandy on December 14th, 2009 at 11:48 am said:

i’m really excited about this.first day download for me!

+ SogeKing on December 14th, 2009 at 11:55 am said:

When does the full game come out?

+ usjvc on December 14th, 2009 at 12:03 pm said:

Hi, out of curiosity, is this the final build or will the final product be even better graphically / performance ? Thanks

+ MUGEN02 on December 14th, 2009 at 12:09 pm said:

How about a release date for GT5, Jan 25th looks like a good date to announce it!

+ Berae on December 14th, 2009 at 12:16 pm said:

It is very nice from you guys that you let Canadians participate in this. Ill try it for sure but i’m not trying to win this lol i never been very good in driving games.
Again thank you

+ NEJI64 on December 14th, 2009 at 12:18 pm said:

i hope the Nissan 300z make it on GT5 car roster.

+ Enforcer_X on December 14th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

Time to bring out the Playseat and GT wheel!
I am winning this thing!

+ dotCody on December 14th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

Right side drive? [DELETED], that sucks.

+ katsuo7171 on December 14th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

I’ll start packing my bags for Indy, because nobody is getting in my way to go to that event. :)

+ THAT_SOCOM_GUY on December 14th, 2009 at 12:38 pm said:

I have heard that the full game employs head tracking via the ps eye. Is this truth? Also will this Demo include the same feature? Also will the PSP finally get used as a rear view mirror as was shown back in 2006 at E3? I look forward to Downloading this and WINNING the TOP PLACE as I have been playing alot of Prologue these past two weeks since this contest was announced.

+ mclaren777 on December 14th, 2009 at 12:39 pm said:

I wrote Mr. Imasaki a letter in 2008 regarding the rigid/fixed nature of the third-person chase camera in GT5. I asked if he could talk to Polyphony about adding an option in the settings menu to enable the much-loved perspective that GT1-GT3 used. And judging from today’s leaked footage of this Time Trial, it looks like that request either wasn’t communicated to or accepted by Polyphony.

Is there any chance that Taku or Chris could please comment on this?

+ Gogo_ZvC on December 14th, 2009 at 12:41 pm said:

This is going to be fun

+ CrippledHustla on December 14th, 2009 at 12:45 pm said:

wow gt5 i cant wait. what could make this thursday better I have no idea.

+ TheGuardianFID on December 14th, 2009 at 1:10 pm said:

GT5 FTW!!! :D

+ Thrasher20 on December 14th, 2009 at 1:29 pm said:

No effing way…. Woooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! Finally!

+ Jon_Mclane on December 14th, 2009 at 1:34 pm said:

250mb! that’s nothing. I though it would be over a gig. I guess I can keep all my britney spears mp3s after all.

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 1:51 pm said:

how do u get the demo?

+ mcbuttz78 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:00 pm said:

LOL thats my favorite car.. I should win this thing,, I think i posted 1 minute and 35 seconds before with the nissan z.. It all depends onthe track ,, i been fine tuning my skills onthe psp . Ima kill the motor speed way course.. i think i can get 1 min 25 seconds.. if u do i’ll shake ya hand in indy Chris…

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:04 pm said:

how do you get this game or watecer it is i love gt

PAGE 1 2 3 4