Driveclub

Get Ready to Race! The Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge Starts This Week!

Taku Imasaki's Avatar + Posted by Taku Imasaki on Dec 14, 2009 // Producer, SCEA

This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real “challenge” for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don’t worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you’ll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5’s 950+ cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

370Z_002_B 370Z_t_002_B

One thing you may have been wondering since the announcement two weeks ago is which track you’ll be competing on. Well, as suggested by the prizes, you’ll be racing on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway course, on a special road course layout of this historic track, stunningly re-created as only the masters at Polyphony Digital can. And as you can tell from the screenshots (visit the official GT website for the full gallery), it looks gorgeous. And it’s fitting that the competition is set on Indy, because the fastest US player and fastest Canadian player will win VIP packages to the 2010 Indianapolis 500 next May.

370Z_t_001_B 370Z_003_B

There will be two time trial events available when you boot up the demo, both featuring the Nissan 370Z. One event will put you behind the wheel of the car in its stock configuration, and the other lets you drive a tuned version with reduced weight, tires with more grip, and more aerodynamic body parts. The tuned version drives and handles a little better, so you’ll want to start with it to get a feel for the game and to learn the track. When you’re ready, take the stock 370Z for a spin, but be careful to watch your throttle or you really will be going for a “spin.”

370Z_t_005_B 370Z_005_B

And of course the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge is your entry method for a chance to win round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, in May. Each winner also gets a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day (final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. The fastest players from both the US and Canada will represent their fellow GT fans at this exciting historic race. That’s a pretty sweet way to spend a weekend.

IMS1 IMS3

That’s about it. I look forward to seeing you all competing for that top spot down to the wire on January 25. Look for me competing against your time, if I make the top tier. My PSN ID is skebe. Good luck!

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 14th, 2009 at 2:05 pm said:

I saw some videos.. it’s great!!! only one thing let us be able to switch off in-game music.. we have to concentrade don’t you..? ;)

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:12 pm said:

where do i get this?

Taku Imasaki's Avatar

+ Chris Hinojosa-Miranda on December 15th, 2009 at 11:10 am said:

PSN Store this coming Thursday, December 17th, 2009.

+ ChibiMrBubbles on December 14th, 2009 at 2:20 pm said:

Is this a demo or do I need to buy GT5 Prologue?

Please answer so I don’t get crushed this Thursday and not play it.

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:23 pm said:

i feel you chibimrbubbles i want this so bad
and nobody is tellinbg me

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:26 pm said:

i want to kno his question^

+ joostin on December 14th, 2009 at 2:34 pm said:

@12…

You must be the only pissed off PS owner due to execs suggesting a premium service. Not once have they used the term “Pay-to-play”!

They have reassured shareholders and PS owners that any service we have now is free and will always be free. So shut up already with the fear mongering. Sound like G.W.!

A premium service has not be outlined only teased. Things which could be in a premium service. (Access to Qore, Unlimited Themes, Dynamic Themes, certain number of movie rentals a month, music downloads from Sony BMG (if rumblings are true we may have a music service in the future). Not one exec from Europe, Japan, or North America has once stated that it would cost money to ever play on the PSN, so just cut it out with the crap.

My rant is done.

+ XScreamingEagleX on December 14th, 2009 at 2:38 pm said:

gt5 demo?!!? yes!!!!

cant wait!!

it is a good day to start my winter break =)

+ TwinDad on December 14th, 2009 at 2:45 pm said:

To all;

the first paragraph reads:

“Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers and GT fans. Two weeks ago we announced the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, and I’m here to give you a breakdown of what to expect when the demo hits PSN this coming Thursday.”

“Demo Hits PSN this Thursday”

+ ADR143 on December 14th, 2009 at 2:49 pm said:

oh man i cant w8!!!!!!!

+ GrimReaper4383 on December 14th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

nomore demoes!!!

+ cruzer2 on December 14th, 2009 at 3:45 pm said:

good luck to all ima be playing this 24/7 to get the time

+ killler526 on December 14th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

#58 people are allready saying that they posted times. WTF!!!!

+ TwinDad on December 14th, 2009 at 4:09 pm said:

@killer526;

Both you chilbli asked about the “Demo” they have stated that it is all that is required to enter the contest and that the demo is available on Thursday. So as you asked, the demo, self-contained, is available on Thursday.

From Kill526 “where do i get this?

In the PSN store on the xmb. If that what you are wanting to know?

+ angelspawn77 on December 14th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

Nice! great to have a cool demo and try to win this contest, i probably wont win, but it doesnt matter, ill still enjoy it.

+ RenderMonk on December 14th, 2009 at 4:55 pm said:

The time trials are such a waste of time. Invariably, there is always someone who races every track flawlessly and and you have a hundred or even a thousand people with the same fastest possible time (ie: 00:00:56.13) that you can’t do any better than that. Then someone comes along and performs even better than flawlessly and gets 00:00:56.11.

+ T3mpr1x on December 14th, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

Looks phenomenal!

+ Tyrsis on December 14th, 2009 at 5:23 pm said:

Will this have wheel support?

+ mafecto on December 14th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

950 cars?!!??

:head explodes:

+ trinigamer101 on December 14th, 2009 at 5:45 pm said:

PSN Start your Ps3’s, time for online driving..

+ Kenshin71 on December 14th, 2009 at 6:02 pm said:

@Taku, do you know if the proper game is being play tested outside of PD? I get the feeling PD are a bit insular and maybe out of touch and the game will suffer. Given the competition, long wait and high expectations it’s crucial PD get this right. Also why don’t PD have a community manager to field questions or give feedback?

+ macbelonwu10 on December 14th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

Is that really in game graphics ?
has games come this far to realism, 250mb damm that very small especially with the type of textures this game provides.

+ kenaue on December 14th, 2009 at 7:08 pm said:

I so cannot wait for GT5. I still play the fourth one like every day.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 14th, 2009 at 8:11 pm said:

Hell yeah.

+ Kchow23 on December 14th, 2009 at 8:12 pm said:

Awesome!

+ Jeeves_Tremor on December 14th, 2009 at 8:44 pm said:

Are the Canadian rules going to be reposted?

+ DeanTM83 on December 14th, 2009 at 8:46 pm said:

i already won

+ Devil240Z on December 14th, 2009 at 8:47 pm said:

man, am gonna be really good at this track by the time gt5 comes out(by the time I import the japanese version). Cant wait!

+ saturnneo on December 14th, 2009 at 9:05 pm said:

I live in Indy. It’s good to see the track in all it’s HD glory!

+ SHINSPIKES on December 14th, 2009 at 9:36 pm said:

+ bigdog82 on December 14th, 2009 at 11:18 pm said:

i’m so xcited for this demo and the full game

+ Schnacky on December 14th, 2009 at 11:36 pm said:

@12 – You do know that pay-to-play could be just for MMOs or premium online features.

+ twooh on December 15th, 2009 at 3:46 am said:

950 cars? = Awesome. 12 of them have crash damage? = lame.

Crash damage? = Cool – the crash damage includes a bumper hanging and a door flapping? = lame – is this 1995?

Demo? = Lame – There was a demo over a year ago.

Summer release? = Lame – 10 years to make GT5.

+ KingKronik42o on December 15th, 2009 at 5:51 am said:

so is this gran turismo going to follow the same outline as GT4? or are you guys going to do the right thing and give us a juiced out GT2?

’cause if this is as lame as GT prologue or even the past couple GTs, I think ill pass.

+ MastrGT on December 15th, 2009 at 6:51 am said:

79 SHINSPIKES

“Its still comin in march right? They said march, so I’m expectin march. But, each time I expected it, it never comes. Guess I wait some more.”

Be aware that the only release date give, so far, is for Japan and we _usually_ get ours about 9 weeks later. We don’t have a release date yet.

+ polo155 on December 15th, 2009 at 8:15 am said:

…is it the 17th yet!!??

+ mclaren777 on December 15th, 2009 at 8:28 am said:

On the previous page of comments I talked about GT5’s disappointing third-person chase cam and how its rigid movement makes it almost unusable. This video shows you exactly what I mean…

Polyphony obviously likes how it currently works (it’s the same setup used in GT4) and I’m not asking them to scrap it, but I would really like there to be an option in the settings menu that enables the chase camera from GT1-GT3 because I much preferred its movement.

+ slyism3003 on December 15th, 2009 at 9:24 am said:

Now we get to see who the real racers are. This definitely will do until GT5. Besides, March will be here before you know it.

+ Gunwing on December 15th, 2009 at 10:44 am said:

Is there any chance this game will have arcade modes as well like other raceing games have these days? I would love to get into this type of game on the PS3 but the community features, and the lack of good entry level player support have always kept me from buying them…….

+ Vernon_Hardapple on December 15th, 2009 at 11:14 am said:

Was looking forward to this, but my PS3 died two days ago.

Will definitely download whenever I get my unit back from SCEA.

+ Dumbo_69 on December 15th, 2009 at 11:36 am said:

need for speed shift is way better then gran turismo 5

+ fedex682 on December 15th, 2009 at 12:21 pm said:

I have waited 5 years for a Gran Turismo game and the rumours circulating is that it will be releasing in NA only in summer 2010.

Seriously I have lost faith in you guys. I for one am not at all excited about another ‘demo’. I already pai 40$ for a demo 2 years back!

FFS, release the game already!

+ MobileTone on December 15th, 2009 at 12:36 pm said:

Nice, i’ve been practicing with a 370z GT and the daytona street layout tonight.

+ dotCody on December 15th, 2009 at 12:43 pm said:

@90
No, it’s not.

+ alaM0000 on December 15th, 2009 at 12:48 pm said:

Sweeet!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Pulseman on December 15th, 2009 at 1:38 pm said:

Awesome! I will be getting my racing chair for my GT racing wheel on Dec 18! Just in time for the competition! Can’t wait!

+ Kimmie on December 15th, 2009 at 5:15 pm said:

any news on a US release date? My wife is buying me a GT Wheel for Crhistmas and now i hear next summer? please say it isn’t so… March was bad enough

+ Kimmie on December 15th, 2009 at 5:17 pm said:

If any one reads this, please allow all HUD to be turned off at any time. I would love an unabstructed view of my gauges…..

+ thegriefer on December 15th, 2009 at 5:39 pm said:

I will destroy everyones time,haha jk Il probably do pretty well though.

+ E-Phoenix- on December 15th, 2009 at 6:36 pm said: