PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Get Ready to Race! The Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge Starts This Week!

Taku Imasaki's Avatar + Posted by Taku Imasaki on Dec 14, 2009 // Producer, SCEA

Hello, PlayStation.Blog readers and GT fans. Two weeks ago we announced the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge, and I’m here to give you a breakdown of what to expect when the demo hits PSN this coming Thursday.

This demo was specifically designed for the GT5 Time Trial Challenge to challenge racing fans to master every straight-away, corner and bump of the track. We want to use this demo to find out who are the best racers in both the US and Canada. We also created this demo to showcase the realism of the brand new physics engine which is constantly improving before GT5 releases.

As Gran Turismo fans know, our GT games let you select between standard or professional driving physics and adjust a multitude of driving assists, but to make this a real “challenge” for all you racing fans, the GT5 demo has professional driving physics, and many of the assists are disabled. But don’t worry. Even if this demo seems challenging, you’ll be able to turn on some of those extra assists and enjoy GT5’s 950+ cars, its new and improved online racing, and several other features we have yet to disclose when it comes out.

370Z_002_B 370Z_t_002_B

One thing you may have been wondering since the announcement two weeks ago is which track you’ll be competing on. Well, as suggested by the prizes, you’ll be racing on the Indianapolis Motor Speedway course, on a special road course layout of this historic track, stunningly re-created as only the masters at Polyphony Digital can. And as you can tell from the screenshots (visit the official GT website for the full gallery), it looks gorgeous. And it’s fitting that the competition is set on Indy, because the fastest US player and fastest Canadian player will win VIP packages to the 2010 Indianapolis 500 next May.

370Z_t_001_B 370Z_003_B

There will be two time trial events available when you boot up the demo, both featuring the Nissan 370Z. One event will put you behind the wheel of the car in its stock configuration, and the other lets you drive a tuned version with reduced weight, tires with more grip, and more aerodynamic body parts. The tuned version drives and handles a little better, so you’ll want to start with it to get a feel for the game and to learn the track. When you’re ready, take the stock 370Z for a spin, but be careful to watch your throttle or you really will be going for a “spin.”

370Z_t_005_B 370Z_005_B

And of course the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge is your entry method for a chance to win round trip airfare and hotel accommodations for two (winner and guest) to attend the Indianapolis 500 Mile Race, a.k.a. the Indy 500, in May. Each winner also gets a VIP package that includes two all-access passes for Carb Day (final Indy 500 practice, pit stop competition, special concert festivities, special event car rides in the 2010 Indy 500 event vehicle), all-access passes to the garage, pit area, and Victory Lane for pre and post-race celebrations for the race, and two VIP suite tickets to enjoy the race. The fastest players from both the US and Canada will represent their fellow GT fans at this exciting historic race. That’s a pretty sweet way to spend a weekend.

IMS1 IMS3

That’s about it. I look forward to seeing you all competing for that top spot down to the wire on January 25. Look for me competing against your time, if I make the top tier. My PSN ID is skebe. Good luck!

+ Azerach on December 16th, 2009 at 6:19 am said:

I… I can’t bring myself to delete a Britney Spears album :’(

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 16th, 2009 at 8:46 am said:

guys can I ask you a question.. or better give you just a feedback.. the new physic looks amazing!! ;) but I always had only one problem with GT series..

the external view .. let me explain.. I tough the problem was fixed in germany at gamescom, here’s a video

we can see the car turn and we have more reference for the corner.. but now I see that the external view is back solid fixed behind the car

is maybe possible that in the final game we can choose this?

+ MLEW85 on December 16th, 2009 at 9:47 am said:

Wow those screens look great – always improving since the first demo

Hope the final game has rain/snow :)

+ mclaren777 on December 16th, 2009 at 12:22 pm said:

You bring up an excellent point, Rude_Sparthan. Polyphony came close to fixing the chase-cam problem in the Cologne build but they’ve since reverted back to the terrible, rigid camera from GT4/GT5P. I wonder why they changed back. Hmm…

Taku Imasaki's Avatar

+ Taku Imasaki on December 16th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

Someone did bring this issue up with us directly a while ago (was that you mclaren?) and I\’ve discussed this with the developer… frankly it is not a \’problem\’, more of a matter of preference, and we may end up having both types co-exist.

+ ThePwnageKing on December 16th, 2009 at 2:59 pm said:

one word… FINALLY!!!

+ ThePwnageKing on December 16th, 2009 at 3:10 pm said:

I’ve been a really big fan of the series so I’m exited that the demo for GT5 is coming out. :)

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 16th, 2009 at 3:42 pm said:

I’m happy to see that I’m not the only one that notice this @mclaren777.. ;) I hope someone will read and maybe report to them.

It’s really a simple/little thing but quite important to me.. ;)

+ jayz101285 on December 16th, 2009 at 8:13 pm said:

What time will it be available to download from the network? US Eastern Standard Time.

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 17th, 2009 at 2:36 am said:

@Taku Imasaki thanks for the answer it’s great to ear the possibility of both!! ;o)

+ Animosity73 on December 17th, 2009 at 4:14 am said:

i was on the PlayStation store today and it wasn’t there to download……….i thought you said it would be available the 17th on PlayStation store?

+ VIPERGTS01 on December 17th, 2009 at 4:51 am said:

Just to let you guys know a lot of us (including myself) are not getting placed in the correct leaderboards.

I am Australian and residing in Australia right now yet I don’t get placed in the Australian leaderboards, I get placed in a strange leaderboard that is mixed up of a bunch of people from various nations (including some other Australians, UK, US, canada, etc) which I know are having the same problems.

Before you dismiss this as “contact SCEE” which I have, some American and Canadian players are having the same troubles also, thanks.

+ nige48 on December 17th, 2009 at 6:07 am said:

Folks, I am at a complete loss on where to get the Gran Turismo 5 Time Trial Challenge download. Can anyone help me?

Taku Imasaki's Avatar

+ Taku Imasaki on December 17th, 2009 at 11:58 am said:

nige48, if you have a US or Canadian PSN account, you\’ll be able to download from the PlayStation Store\’s Demo section later today.

+ Fsk-Kain on December 17th, 2009 at 6:09 am said:

please… explain that this isn’t a demo of the complete gt5 but a build made for gt academy! or this is the true final graphic of gt5?

Taku Imasaki's Avatar

+ Taku Imasaki on December 17th, 2009 at 11:56 am said:

Fsk-Kain, this is a taste of \’the hardcore\’ portion of GT5 :) And yes, in Europe, this same demo is being used for the GT Academy program.

+ VIPERGTS01 on December 17th, 2009 at 6:34 am said:

I posted the leaderboard issue in post #111, turns out using the Japanese version on a non Japanese account sends you into a general leaderboard

Problem solved

Download and play correct region version

+ nojoke48 on December 17th, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

So far (11:00 am EST) not in PS3 store. Is there a specific time it will be available?

+ Snoreyn on December 17th, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

tryed this morning..i’m disappointed.. no that “monster graphic”, drive a car is totally difficult..very hard, maybe is too much simulative, ther’s that pinball effect with no car destruction…aaahh if the final product will be like this i wait that prize gain down at 19,90€ to buy it.. anyway some people says that the demo was compressed harder to be 200MB of download, and so the graphics and quality are compressed..the final product could be better..i hope. but anywaycould be better if there is an option to switch “ARCADE”..control a car is harde..much better could be arcade style..se like motorstorm..MC: los angeles..Need for speed etc.. for the players who likes arcade driving…

+ citebaid on December 17th, 2009 at 12:55 pm said:

when will the download be available in u.s.?

+ MastrGT on December 17th, 2009 at 2:09 pm said:

Check the store after 6PM Eastern.

+ MUGEN02 on December 17th, 2009 at 2:27 pm said:

After playing the demo I have to say it looks worse than GT5:P, more jaggies, worse textures and the car models look even worse inside and out. The images in the post are the usual bullshots and are taken at 8+ mega pixels like past GT5 screen shots so I have no idea if the overall graphics will be better than what I’m seeing in this demo. The physics are different though and pro mode is much better than the last version.

+ Narutofreak1 on December 17th, 2009 at 2:39 pm said:

It’s going to be released after 3 pm? Been waiting since like 7 am lol.

+ yayday on December 17th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

please reply.will there be damage on every car on this game?

+ ForgetfuI on December 17th, 2009 at 4:08 pm said:

You guys are runnin’ out of Thursday!

+ shauntehneeww on December 17th, 2009 at 4:13 pm said:

Checked about 10 minutes ago and cannot find gt5 demo ANYWHERE. Does it release like 11:59 pm thursday? Itching to try out gt5.

+ Narutofreak1 on December 17th, 2009 at 4:31 pm said:

Will this even be coming out?

+ gonmanuvw on December 17th, 2009 at 5:46 pm said:

Can anyone from PS o Polyphony answer one of this questions????????????’

+ dohctor1984 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:48 pm said:

I want to play it so bad!!!! i cannot find it on the PS store, If anybody can tell me what im doing wrong what do i type in the search?……Thanks in advance!!!!

+ sunglass800 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:49 pm said:

Go to search at top and search titles for “gran” it’s in the list of results. I couldn’t find it in the meus/icons either until doing it that way 8:45pm (EST) 203mb

+ dohctor1984 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:51 pm said:

I jst realized that alot of people have the same problem. Aslo there are people who already have it in the US. It shows peoples ranks already http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/
look at the chart on the right side of the page!!!!!

+ chscougar28 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

seriously what’s taking so long? the store is always updated between 4pm and 5pm. c’mon sony hurry up and update!!!!

+ filipovisck on December 17th, 2009 at 5:55 pm said:

@ sunglass800: thanks it worked :)

+ dohctor1984 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

Sunglass800………LIFESAVER!!
all day long ive been searching. Thank You!!!!!!!!!! It’s downloading now!!!!!!!

+ chscougar28 on December 17th, 2009 at 5:56 pm said:

just now found it after doing a search in the titles, don’t know why it’s not on the main page yet

+ Trexid on December 17th, 2009 at 6:07 pm said:

Confirmed. I wasn’t able to find this in the ‘Demos’ section as a downloadable icon either so I searched for ‘gran’ on the Playstation Store and it came up as the first hit.

203mb download. grabbing it now! Can’t wait for my first taste of GT5! Haven’t played prologue yet either so I’m sure this will look gorgeous as I have nothing to pick a part or compare it to.

+ chscougar28 on December 17th, 2009 at 6:34 pm said:

wow what a disappointment! this thing is just like prologue. the controls are terrible; the car goes into a drift from the slightest movement. also the car accelerates insanely slow and even when you reach high speed it still feels slow. it’s almost impossible to finish a lap without crashing into a wall. what happened to the sharp controls in gt4?

+ madmanone on December 18th, 2009 at 2:53 am said:

I agree with chscougar28. Terrible controls. I was so excited for this, but, after playing the demo, I don’t think I’ll be buying this game. I would drift with the slightest of movements, and many times, the vehicle wouldn’t even be turning in the direction I was turning in. This was my first taste of any Gran Turismo game, but, it likely will be my last.

+ gonmanuvw on December 18th, 2009 at 8:09 am said:

guys where can i search how many people are playing gran turismo 5 Time Trial CHallenge?

+ nitr0gen on December 18th, 2009 at 10:29 am said:

It looks like Racing Wheel owners will have the advantage in this trial. My best lap so far is still 10 sec behind the current leader, GTP_timeattack. If only there was a way to adjust the sensitivity on the dualshock 3 under ‘options’… I’d like to see the ranking sorted by racing wheel vs not- or at least add a ‘Wheel’ icon next to the ranking :D

+ Lucos9 on December 19th, 2009 at 4:12 am said:

can anyone tell me how to set up this game so it doesn’t use my race wheel? It won’t steer with the dual shock even if the race wheel is un plugged. (logitech driving force wireless) I tried going through the options, but nothing i tried worked. Any suggestions?

+ Vladimir_Cross on December 19th, 2009 at 9:11 am said:

Chscougar28 and madmanone, the physics set to the “demo” are professional. Not standard which is probably what you are used to. This is really how the game should be played, with professional physics. This way the vehicle drives and reacts as if it were real. Sucks that they actually make you learn how to drive.

+ yayday on December 19th, 2009 at 2:07 pm said:

Taku,I want a Lotus avatar!

+ reconJDM on December 20th, 2009 at 2:19 am said:

This game is so sick.
Can’t wait till the actual game comes out.

+ DIEDFORYOU on December 20th, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

It’s tough with a standard controller, you can’t turn the wheels as hard over as you can with a steering wheel controller :(

+ Lucos9 on December 20th, 2009 at 6:08 pm said:

I found the answer to my problem. I left the wireless racewheel adapter in the uab hub so even though there was no power to the wheel, the ps3 still rcognized the wheel as connected. once I pulled out the adapter, I could use my dualshock controller.

+ Lucos9 on December 20th, 2009 at 6:19 pm said:

I’m not sure if I have a defective wheel, or If mine is not supported in gt5, but it is acting strangely. As mentioned above I have a logitech driving force wireless. It’s not listed in the options menu, so I wander if this game supports it. The problem I’m having is when the race first starts, there is so much play in the wheel that I have to turn it all the way to the right or left to get the car to turn at all. If I come to a complete stop, then the problem sometimes goes away as if it finds the center position. After that It works fine until I wipeout or start a new time trial, then I have to come to a complete stop again before it acts normal. Anyone else using this wheel or having similar problems with the time trial?

+ gonmanuvw on December 21st, 2009 at 7:50 pm said:

Where can I find how many people are in the rank? Please answer me.

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 22nd, 2009 at 4:15 pm said:

..sorry here again for the external cam .. :o) but I hope that somebody can still read this.. a solution that personally I found perfect it’s a dynamic cam.. better if you see

when you break.. the cam come closer to the car.. when you accelerate.. the cam come back away.. in the corners you can even more evaluate your line.. and also give you a good sense of breaking also with external view.. ;) ..so also when you accelerate..

i really hope if someone can still read this and evaluate ;)

+ GreenGiant212 on January 2nd, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

yup like always the cars and tracks look great. too bad you can still hit a wall at 140mph with no damage to your car. very sad!!

+ yayday on January 12th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

i love this game!

+ l3-EaZy on January 12th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

@147…
yea i was disappointed with this fact also….i think need for speed shift made a more realistic racing format this go around…step ya [DELETED] up GT

+ cyphid on January 13th, 2010 at 3:10 am said:

I’m sorry sony, I have been a big fan of the other games but when I played the demo, it just didnt impress me. I really hope this demo is older because it seemed the graphics were no way as close as they looked in the screens ive seen..