PS4 - Destiny

Flower Wins VGAs Best Independent Game – A Huge Thank You from thatgamecompany!

Kellee Santiago's Avatar + Posted by Kellee Santiago on Dec 15, 2009 // President and co-founder of thatgamecompany

Hi, it’s Kellee Santiago again from thatgamecompany. This last weekend was…whoa, just totally surreal. Jenova, composer Vincent Diamante, and I met up at the event, where we got together with fellow indie nominees, Hemisphere Games (Osmos) and Twisted Pixel (‘Splosion Man) so that we could brave the great unknown of the red carpet together.

vga1

Which turned out to be a good thing because it was pretty hectic and intense there. Did you know going down a red carpet can take an hour?!? I don’t know how seasoned veterans like David Jaffe can do it!

vga2

These Mt. Dew-themed drinks helped us get through the pre-show schmooze-fest, though. It was great to be surrounded by almost all of the other Best Indie Game nominees – I definitely felt more grounded. I mean, how do you handle waiting in line for the port-o-potty and encountering Samuel L. Jackson?

vga3

(Waiting for the show to begin.)

And then there were the REAL celebrities – Rocksteady, Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward…I was nerding out all over the place. Very unlady-like. But I love any opportunity to straight-up shower love on some of my favorite game makers, because I know how much it has meant to us to get emails and hear from you guys about Flower.

Of course, then it got to our category. Our hearts were in our throats, which I think you could hear when we gave our acceptance speech. As Jenova said, Flower has come a long way since the day he said, “Let’s make a game about flowers and love,” to actually being awarded by Spike TV.

And because I was so nervous, I totally cut off Jenova before he could thank the most important people – you guys. We heard some of you got to be at the viewing party in Hollywood and were cheering right alongside us, and that really means a lot to us. Making experimental games is an emotional and scary process, and we really couldn’t do it without you guys. Thanks so much for all of your support these last three and a half years, and we hope we can continue to entertain you!

83 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Sunnyok on December 15th, 2009 at 3:21 pm said:

I have that Flower game! Yay!

+ ghamdikh1 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

I LOVE YOU Kellee

+ Alex_Assassin_08 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:23 pm said:

Well done guys! :)

Absolutely phenomenal game :)

+ H3llMafia on December 15th, 2009 at 3:26 pm said:

I like to play this game after a frustrating game of Uncharted 2 on Crushing. Calms me down.

+ DZORMAGEN on December 15th, 2009 at 3:27 pm said:

hmmmmm….I might have to get this game now….. *thinking*

+ Tyrsis on December 15th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

Flower is fantastic.
Well deserved guys.

+ Berae on December 15th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

You well deserved it! It was a fantastic game. very original

+ ghamdikh1 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:28 pm said:

YO Kellee I HAVE 1 (Q):

IS THERE ANY PLANS TO MAKE AN HD REMAKE FOR CLOUD FOR PS3.

+ depward on December 15th, 2009 at 3:30 pm said:

Well deserved: Flower is an amazing, amazing game. Congrats!

+ tagout on December 15th, 2009 at 3:31 pm said:

Olivia Wilde is gorgeous.

+ Nick-30 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

@3
lol

+ NightHawk17 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:32 pm said:

well deserved in my opinion, i look forward to your next game. hopefully it will be as beautiful and calming as Flower, and hopefully it’s announced soon :)

+ jashwin on December 15th, 2009 at 3:33 pm said:

“And then there were the REAL celebrities – Rocksteady, Naughty Dog, Infinity Ward…”

REAL celebrities?YOU guys are the the real celebrities,flower is an awesome game!!You deserve the award.

On a side note,Im waiting for a new game from thatgamecompany or flower dlc..

+ Armstrong on December 15th, 2009 at 3:34 pm said:

Flower is awesome. I am totally happy you guys won! I voted for flower myself.

I am hoping for a space themed game like flower some day. Just explore the universe you know ;) cool stuff

+ serendipiddy on December 15th, 2009 at 3:35 pm said:

Congratulations!
Flower is simply awesome. My most favourite game.

+ Zarxce on December 15th, 2009 at 3:40 pm said:

Amazing game is amazing. Can’t wait to see what you guys come out with next, whether it be some add-on content, a sequel or a new project altogether.

Forget Best Independant Game, this was easily one of the best downloadable games this year period. I’m just kicking myself for waiting until the sale to buy it (no demo had me skeptical…)

+ Ozumo on December 15th, 2009 at 3:41 pm said:

Flower DLC/2?

+ narwhalSTAB on December 15th, 2009 at 3:45 pm said:

Love flower. Hope you guys announce a new game soon.

+ joostin on December 15th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

Flower is my favourite (that’s how we spell up North) game ever created! No word of a lie. It is the one and only game that feels like serotonin is leaking out of your brain lol. It made me so calm and happy, although that damn Pure trophy still eludes me and I may never get it because it makes me unhappy lol.

Great work guys/gals! Keep it up, I will support your games till I am dead or broke.

+ HongoXIII on December 15th, 2009 at 3:49 pm said:

Flower deserves it and more! I wish they would set up PS3′s with Flower on HD TV’s and have people try it in stores like Best Buy. That game needs to be displayed as not only as fantastic looking title, but also as a title that needs more recognition.

+ Kchow23 on December 15th, 2009 at 3:50 pm said:

Congrats thatgamecompany!, I’ve played flower and its something different but its awesome

+ linebeginstoblur on December 15th, 2009 at 3:59 pm said:

Completely deserved. Great job, guys. :)

+ Majin_Neo on December 15th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

So does this mean we will be lucky enough to get the Flower Soundtrack on the PSN?

+ Rude_Sparthan on December 15th, 2009 at 4:04 pm said:

congratulations guys… ;o) you are artist and gaming world need you!

PS: sorry for my english… D

+ ESIASON7 on December 15th, 2009 at 4:06 pm said:

I Absolutely love Flower. You Guys really deserved that award. I was cheering for you the whole night, Congrats!

+ Sonicboom73 on December 15th, 2009 at 4:07 pm said:

I was JUST playing this last night, and it reminded me of how much I want an official soundtrack for this game. Not even want so much as NEED. The music is so phenomenal, just like everything else about the game. I hope we see lots more from you!

+ Zezzler on December 15th, 2009 at 4:11 pm said:

WOW, meeting Samuel L Jackson. IN THE FLESH. it must have been really spectacular. Congrats. but the real that you should be towards you guys for making such a fun game for us.

+ jqtaxpayer on December 15th, 2009 at 4:15 pm said:

Well deserved… Flower was really something special and is one of the more memorable experiences of this console generation, which is saying quite a bit.

+ TheGuardianFID on December 15th, 2009 at 4:29 pm said:

INDY GOTY and deservedly so, congrats on making one of the most beautiful and unique games out there, I bought it when it first launched and it’s still a masterpiece!!! :D

+ almighty-slayer on December 15th, 2009 at 4:39 pm said:

You guys deserve it! My download GOTY for sure. We love you guy. Can’t wait for your next game

+ vexxorator on December 15th, 2009 at 4:50 pm said:

Who is that girl between Kellee Santiago and Olivia Wilde

+ Bowdz on December 15th, 2009 at 4:54 pm said:

Congratulations to everyone at thatgamecompany, you guys really deserve every award that you are (and will be) receiving. Flower was such a transcendent experience that it is easily one of the most memorable and enjoyable games I have ever played. Thanks again for taking risks and making such great games!

+ TheInfectedBy590 on December 15th, 2009 at 4:58 pm said:

Great job! :D

+ dragonmagician on December 15th, 2009 at 4:59 pm said:

Congratulations!

I’m looking forward to the next game, flower-er?

+ theBedBurner on December 15th, 2009 at 5:06 pm said:

Congrats!

You guys are awesome, Can’t wait to see whats next!

+ TailsTheCat on December 15th, 2009 at 5:07 pm said:

Flower is a good piece of software.

Spike VGA’s are meaningless.

+ BigBoss712 on December 15th, 2009 at 5:09 pm said:

Was happy to see you guys win, congrats!

+ Kid_Fleetfoot on December 15th, 2009 at 5:26 pm said:

I think the ward for FLOWER is cool. Little “guys” make big time. Congratulations.

+ KSPRAYDAD on December 15th, 2009 at 5:27 pm said:

Congrats Jenova and team…

To all you trophy hounds…thatgamecompany added trophies to flOw last month…go buy it.

+ Joel Fancers on December 15th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Congratz for Flower, very well deserved award!

I support TGC from Cloud on the PC (even made a lovely themed wallpaper on their boards time ago), it was a one of the best decisions Sony took letting them develope for the PS3!

I can’t wait for their next project.

+ Glorparin on December 15th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Congratulations first of all! :)

Can you slap Vincent and tell him to finish the Flower OST already for me? :D

Thanks!

+ Velzorn on December 15th, 2009 at 5:31 pm said:

Congrats.

Perhaps this win and another price cut this week will get even more downloads.

+ Incubuster on December 15th, 2009 at 5:34 pm said:

Flower is a fantastic game, you guys deserve it!

+ B-RadGfromOV on December 15th, 2009 at 5:36 pm said:

I’m so glad it was you guys to get the award. Flower is the most engaging, beautiful, awesome experiences on any console at the moment. And that is without blood, gore, violence, or any narration. You guys pulled it off perfectly.

+ ADR143 on December 15th, 2009 at 5:37 pm said:

congrats guys

+ Terminator_TX3 on December 15th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

This is off-topic, but I don’t understand how a game like Modern Warfare 2 gets best shooter/multiplayer if it’s broken?

On topic, congratulations on the award.

+ NCtwin on December 15th, 2009 at 5:41 pm said:

I’ve been a big fan since fl0w. Fl0wer definitely deserved it. Keep up the good work!!

+ elprovider on December 15th, 2009 at 5:53 pm said:

Congratulations, Flower is an awesome experiencie, one of my favorite games of the year.

+ PirateThom on December 15th, 2009 at 5:59 pm said:

Award was well deserved. No idea how you managed to take such a concept and make it so beautiful to experience, but I’m glad you did.

I take no shame in saying even though I was unemployed when Flower came out and money was tight, it was was well worth the small cost to experience it.

PAGE 1 2