Paragon

Dec 16

Dec 16

PSN Digital Comics Launch Today!

Grace Chen's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

PLEASE NOTE: Download the Digital Comics Reader application in order to view the comics. You can download the reader via Wi-Fi, directly on the PSP, by going to the Digital Comics reader icon and following the on-screen instructions.

Hi Everyone, PlayStation Network launched a new digital comics service for the PSP system today. As you already know, PSP firmware update v6.20 included a Digital Comics reader application that is accessible under the Extras icon on the XMB. Starting today, you can access hundreds of digital comics on PlayStation Store, directly on the PSP or via MediaGo (on the PC). You will notice a new “tab” for comics, next to the game and video tabs. The digital comics store is currently available in the U.S. only.

Captain America category

In the store, you’ll want to check out the “free comics” category, for a selection of comics that you can download for free. You’ll also find a great variety of titles from our partners at Marvel, IDW Publishing and Disney and more. See the launch list below.

Marvel storetop Digital Comics carousel

The Digital Comics reader is unique to the PSP system and has an easy to use feature called Autoflow that allows you to zoom in/out and move frame by frame or page by page through the comic. It’s so intuitive, you feel as if you are holding and reading the actual book. There’s also a built-in music player so you can listen to the music on your PSP while reading the digital comics.

You can also check out www.playstationcomics.com for more info.

Enjoy!

Launch list:

• 2000AD Prog
  • Aleister Arcane
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (1963)
  • The Amazing Spider-Man (2003)
  • Annihilation (2006)
  • Archie & Friends
  • Astonishing X-Men (2004)
  • Astro Boy: Movie Adaptation
  • Astro Boy: Underground: Movie Prequel
  • Atomic Robo
  • The Beagle Boys
  • Burke & Hare
  • Cages
  • Captain America (2004)
  • Captain America Comics (1941)
  • Clive Barker’s The Thief Of Always
  • Daisy Duck
  • Daredevil: Yellow (2001)
  • Donald Duck
  • G.I. Joe: Classics
  • G.I. Joe: Official Movie Prequel
  • G.I. Joe: Rise of the Cobra: Official Movie Adaptation
  • Gladstone Gander
  • Gyro Gearloose
  • House of M (2005)
  • The Immortal Iron Fist (2006)
  • The Invincible Iron Man (1996)
  • The Invincible Iron Man (1998)
  • Invincible Iron Man (2008)
  • Iron Man (2004)
  • Iron Man: Director of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2004)
  • Judge Dredd: Mandroid
  • Judge Dredd: Total War
  • Kingdom
  • Leviathan
  • Magica De Spell
  • Marvel Knights (2000)
  • Marvels (1994)
  • Mickey Mouse
  • Neozoic
  • New X-Men: Academy X (2004)
  • Rogue Trooper: The Future Of War
  • Wallace & Gromit
  • The Warriors
  • White Picket Fences
  • Wizards of Mickey
  • World War Hulk (2007)
  • X-23 (2005)
  • X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (2005)
  • X-Mickey
  • Young Salem
  • Zombies vs Robots

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 2 3

Dhrox said:

December 16th, 12:06 pm

I really fail to see why Canada can’t have access to this.

Vorsic said:

December 16th, 12:11 pm

It needs manga.

bataille said:

December 16th, 12:11 pm

Why is the app just for PSP? I would LOVE to view these on my big SONY TV.

Is that planned?

Ftwrthtx said:

December 16th, 12:13 pm

I love the fact that we can listen to our own music while we read the comics. Great job on the reader and a nice selection of comics as well.

Thanks

morris1129 said:

December 16th, 12:14 pm

Can i look at and transfer the comics on to my ps3?? If not will there be an update to allow this feature?? Will I be able to download older comics?? Thanks

Grace Chen's Avatar

Grace Chen said:

December 16th, 12:26 pm

Currently, there\’s no reader on the PS3 to view the digital comics. But we are always exploring options to bring features to both the PS3 and PSP platforms. We work closely with the publishers to bring new and older comics to PSN.

Jetup said:

December 16th, 12:14 pm

When will manga come on the store?

Grace Chen's Avatar

Grace Chen said:

December 16th, 12:29 pm

No word on timing yet, but we hear you.

Majin_Neo said:

December 16th, 12:15 pm

Yes I would love to collect these on the PS3 will that be possible?

Frazz said:

December 16th, 12:15 pm

What about the option to remove it from my xmb seeing as I live in Canada and don’t have access to comics.Are you trying to torture me?!

ender411 said:

December 16th, 12:16 pm

Awesome.

Loved the few free comics we could try out prior to this, i’ll be definitely picking sum up today.

I really want to see this land on the ps3, and would like to see some more anime.
Oh-and for our foreign PlayStation brothers and sisters to be able to access it.

but for a day one launch? Great job!

bbd23 said:

December 16th, 12:17 pm

STOP SCREWING CANADA

Trigg said:

December 16th, 12:18 pm

This is great. I would like to see Udon Comics in the future. I want to collect the Capcom Comics without the hassle of comic store trips. (Darkstalkers, Mega Man, Street Fighter)

poodude said:

December 16th, 12:19 pm

Could you please make Media Go for the Mac too? From what I understand it’s PC only and I only own a Mac.

Tyrsis said:

December 16th, 12:19 pm

These need to be on the PS3 as well, IMO.

ajk278s said:

December 16th, 12:20 pm

How do we delete comics we don’t want?

Rampge76 said:

December 16th, 12:20 pm

This is a serious question. Not sure you’re familiar with Jay and Silent Bob but do you think you’ll have any Bluntman and Chronic comics coming to the store?

GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS said:

December 16th, 12:23 pm

BRING MARVEL COMICS TO PS3.

I DO NOT HAVE PSP. I WANT THESE ON MY PS3

GUNSOFDAPATRIOTS said:

December 16th, 12:23 pm

AND START BRINGING THESE GOODIES TO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HatmanTc said:

December 16th, 12:24 pm

X-Mickey?

Sindred said:

December 16th, 12:32 pm

No DC? :(

I was about to buy some comics for my Iphone, but I see Transformers on that list, so looks like I’ll be buying them on my PSP.

darktorns said:

December 16th, 12:34 pm

ps3 needs this also..

QuothTheRavings said:

December 16th, 12:35 pm

Since Disney is on board, what’re the chances we’ll get the Kingdom Hearts manga? I’d also like to see some of the Zelda mangas (though I doubt Nintendo will allow it).

If DC ever signs on I’d love to see Sandman and Lucifer (from Vertigo). Oh and the Berserk manga.

When will we get the Marvel Civil War series?

Shy_Guy92 said:

December 16th, 12:37 pm

I s anyone having problems downloading comics? The comics download for me but once it gets to install I get the error 8010A12C

Grace Chen's Avatar

Grace Chen said:

December 16th, 12:49 pm

Have you downloaded the digital reader app?

GeoScore said:

December 16th, 12:39 pm

The thing that really stinks is that I can’t pull myself to shell out 1.99 for each comic when I will only read them once and can get them from my library nearby. I was really hoping that there would be a monthly subscription,and frankly it kind of makes me sad because I absolutely loved the free digital comics I’ve read. Is there any news regarding the switch in payment method?

GamerMoney said:

December 16th, 12:40 pm

been following y’all on twitter, time for more aliester arcane

hush404 said:

December 16th, 12:40 pm

GAHHHH. Yet another “US Only” service. At least it was listed in the article this time.

deadpool7 said:

December 16th, 12:43 pm

Awesome! Great work Sony! I plan to check out Civil War tonight.

QuothTheRavings said:

December 16th, 12:43 pm

Will there be a subscription method in the future? Marvel already has one of their own in play. I really don’t need to own digital comics. I’d rather read them and move on.

FoolKiller79 said:

December 16th, 12:44 pm

So, will Wednesdays always be new comic day, as is proper?

And just looking at the list I see titles that are available as TPB. Are those priced as a single TPB unit, as the individual issues, or can we choose either option?

This is definitely nice, but as others have noted, it needs more brands.

Now, something I requested once a long time ago , and this tells me it can be done, will we ever see an E-Reader app style app for the PSP so we can buy E-books from Sony as well? I also imagine publicatiosn liek newspapers and magazines (digital PlayStation: TOM) It would be awesome if my PSP was the only thing I ever needed to take with me for long trips or sitting in waiting areas.

Grace Chen's Avatar

Grace Chen said:

December 16th, 12:51 pm

Comic store will be updated on Thursdays, like the game store, with the exception of next week. Next week, we publish the game and comic stores on Tuesday, to accommodate the holiday.

Juben said:

December 16th, 12:46 pm

if you can get comic books got to be able to get magazines (aka shonen jump) so i can get my weekly dose of naruto. Shoot you can give me the jp raw of it and i am still good to go.

People who can’t translate manga themselves = EPIC Fail. Near 2010 learn another language or at least try to! A good new year’s resolution for those interested in getting into the video gaming industry ;-)

Folkenhellfang said:

December 16th, 12:46 pm

Its called licenes dear Canada. You guys are a different country and there are laws for this stuff. Don’t worry, you will get yours eventually.

I want to know, Grace Chen, why I keep getting a download failed message on every comic I have tried to download thus far. I would love to give you guys some more money for a product, but it needs to be working at least. Is there a Psp Go issue you aren’t arware of?

Grace Chen's Avatar

Grace Chen said:

December 16th, 1:01 pm

There shouldn\’t be any PSPgo issues. Did you download the Digital Comics reader?

EatDeath said:

December 16th, 12:47 pm

Can you all please get some manga partners, VIZ Media is on the PSN for content, surely you can get them to hopefully supply some manga.

Korbei83 said:

December 16th, 12:51 pm

I disagree.

DDark said:

December 16th, 12:54 pm

I’m sure the reason it’s not releasing in Canada has nothing to do with the fact that Sony probably has additional agencies they have to get approval from before they can provide this service. It’s probably because they hate Canada and don’t like making money by releasing paid services to as much consumers as possible. Jeez! :-)

narwhalSTAB said:

December 16th, 12:55 pm

Please bring DC comics to PSN.

Lirion said:

December 16th, 12:57 pm

When will Europe get this?

LumarQQ said:

December 16th, 12:58 pm

@DDark +1

firecar350 said:

December 16th, 12:58 pm

@ number 8

keep it there u can get free comics on playstation comics.com and go to novembers psn comic thing and they wiill give another free comic. it expires on the 16th thats tommorw!!!

ModernYorkster said:

December 16th, 1:00 pm

I would like to express my opinion on the matter of PSN Downloadable Comics. I honestly think this is a brilliant idea, and I hope it exceeds SCEAs expectations on usage and downloads. I personally wont be using this feature as I dont own a PSP or PSPGo!. In the future I would like to see SCEA offer this same service on the PlayStation 3.

Mox007 said:

December 16th, 1:01 pm

I didn’t see The Avengers in that list of Marvel comics.
Also please allow for subscibtions to each comic.
Kind of related, I would also like to see an ebook reader app.

D-Money85 said:

December 16th, 1:01 pm

This is a nice little addition for the PSP. However for me personally I’m more of a manga reader. So once the manga’s start rolling in I will start using the comic reader but for now it’ll be something nice to at when I scroll past it…….LOL

ShredinSlash said:

December 16th, 1:05 pm

wait, if you Sony doesn’t have a partnership with DC/Wildstorm comics, we can’t get the Resistance comics? I was waiting to buy them, cause i’m not a die hard comic reader, so I wouldn’t care about getting the digital copy. Also can we expect to see some Deadpool comics? He is a Marvel character, but I guess Sony may not have rights to sell all of Marvels comics.

QuothTheRavings said:

December 16th, 1:05 pm

To clarify, when I requested a subscription model I meant a general PSN Comic subscription, not for individual comics. Maybe with levels the way Netflix has (i.e. 5 comics a month for $x, unlimited comics a month for $xx, etc.).

DJKim0701 said:

December 16th, 1:05 pm

I want Japanese comics such as Ranma 1/2, Kingdom Hearts, Dragon ballz, etc. pretty please???

Sekoku said:

December 16th, 1:06 pm

No PS3 option = lame-o.

Call me when it’s PS3.

Stoffinator said:

December 16th, 1:06 pm

Thank you again Sony for not including Canada in your services

TheTwelve said:

December 16th, 1:07 pm

I’m IN HEAVEN.

TheTwelve said:

December 16th, 1:10 pm

GO IRON-MAN!!!

warlock7 said:

December 16th, 1:12 pm

This NEEDS to work on the PS3!

LumarQQ said:

December 16th, 1:14 pm

Grace Chen will you marry me? We can move into my house here in Canada, but unfortunately, you won’t be able to use the comic store :(

FoolKiller79 said:

December 16th, 1:14 pm

Grace, thanks for the response.

But, but Wednesdays are New Comic Day. :) It would be cool if you all could work it out to stick with tradition.

I see a lot of questions are popping up regarding brands and pricing structures. Perhaps an FAQ post, either before Christmas or after New Year’s, would be a good idea. Heck, it would be a good idea for all new PSN products and services, since there is no clerk to talk to.

Thanks again.