PS4-The Order

MAG is Gold, Beta for Everyone Soon

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Dunham on Dec 21, 2009 // Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

On behalf of everyone at Zipper Interactive, I’m proud to announce that following our successful series of beta programs this past fall, our 256-player first-person shooting spectacular, MAG, has gone gold in North America, Japan, Korea, and the rest of Asia. It is now headed off to manufacturing so that the game can make it from store shelves to PlayStation 3s all over the world. Expect MAG to drop on January 26 in North America and Asia, January 28 in Japan, and January 29 in Korea.

MAG Packfront Final!

The European discs are finishing up final quality assurance rounds right now and we expect to see those editions go gold sometime in the next few weeks.

We realize that the wait is still more than a month away, which is why we’re also pleased to announce a cool little surprise (or should I say, a “great, big surprise?”) to tide you over. In an effort to give you a taste of what to expect with the final version of MAG, Zipper and Sony Computer Entertainment will team up on January 4 to bring you our final and 100% open PSN beta.

But what’s so great about MAG Beta 5? Well, to start, it will take place worldwide — so if you’re in a territory with a PlayStation 3 and an Internet connection, you qualify to be a part of it. What’s more is that you won’t need any special permissions or code keys to participate, you’ll just get it and go! Complete access to the game’s 64-player sabotage and 256-player Domination modes are pretty good reasons to get excited too.

Of course, the best news about MAG Beta 5 is that you’ll be able to download the client in North America starting tomorrow, December 22! Additionally, PS3 owners in Asia can start downloading the file on December 25, while the European store will make it available on January 4. Check back for details on Japanese PSN store access in the near future.

Now that you know where to get the MAG Beta, your path to playing it is a simple three-step process:

1. Log on to the PlayStation Store (tomorrow) and download the MAG Beta file like you would any other freely-available PSN video or demo (298 MB)
  2. Launch the MAG Beta program from your XMB to download a special patch that will restart MAG once the update has been received (another 38 MB)
  3. After the reboot, the beta will reconnect and download the actual game data so that you can play (1.8 GB – 2.3 GB depending on your region)

Complete the steps above and you’ll be ready to rock ‘n roll — and shoot things and blow stuff up — until the beta ends on January 10 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Keep in mind, though, that you won’t actually be able to play the MAG beta directly until the servers go live at 5 am Pacific on January 4. But hey, look at the bright side: this is the last time you’ll ever have to download a MAG file this big (since the data will already be on the retail disc when it ships next month), and you’ll save a whole lot of extra shooting time by downloading what you need early on; thus allowing you to jump into the action immediately on the 4th.

Oh, and one last thing before I go: I know I speak for everyone here at Zipper Interactive when I say that each and every one of us wishes you and yours a happy and safe holiday season. Thank you very much for supporting our community and our game in 2009, and we look forward to giving you exactly what you’ve been waiting for in 2010!

MAG screenshot new

PAGE 1 2 3 6

+ mafecto on December 21st, 2009 at 9:04 am said:

While I thought the other beta was just decent, I’m hoping this one (and the final game as a whole) is a bit more polished. Regardless, congrats on finishing the game, and the sense of scale in battle was definitely realized from what I played already.

+ Kchow23 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

Is this game Online only? or is there a campaign and story?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 9:56 am said:

It is online-only, but it does have a story — and since we\’re not a local game, we\’re using multiple mediums to help tell it.

+ YungShep on December 21st, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

woot…first! sweet! i loved each version of the beta, im buying the retail, and ill have beta 5 tomorrow.. thanks..

+ Dryde on December 21st, 2009 at 9:05 am said:

MASSIVE ACTION GAME!!!!!!

+ Dryde on December 21st, 2009 at 9:06 am said:

Massive Action Game!!

+ DinoMight_1021x on December 21st, 2009 at 9:08 am said:

Sweet!

+ ndw4 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:09 am said:

Awesome I hope the final game is one of the best of 2010!

+ Ice2Dragon on December 21st, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

Already got it on reserve, already did the first beta, and already waiting until I get off work tomorrow to play the beta again!

M.A.G. is a great game and I’m so psyched for the 26th of January!

Props on a freaking awesome game!

+ ZeroSection on December 21st, 2009 at 9:10 am said:

I’ve missed the beta since its been gone. I just hope when the game launches people will be as cooperative as people in the beta. Lots of people were real team players in the beta, but towards the ends the people without mics playing it like COD and [DELETED] over the squads because of it outnumbered the team players.

I just hope this isn’t whats going to happen at full retail release since this game isn’t shipping with a mic, and I saw no “tutorials” of any sort that taught any team game play aspects of this game.

+ Midpipps on December 21st, 2009 at 9:13 am said:

The other beta was awesome. Cannot wait for the next beta and to buy the game when it hits shelves.

+ Aggie_CEO on December 21st, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

@2 yes its online only…Like Warhawk

Glad to hear about this Open Beta….my PS3 was down during Beta 4 so I missed out…

+ whatisdelicious on December 21st, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

Why is there a beta after it’s already gone gold?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

There are a lot of things we can adjust server-side because it\’s an online-only game. :)

+ Ostaf52 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:15 am said:

I reserved it but this will be the first time I actually play it.

I have some concerns. If I like it I will buy it, if not then I won’t.

+ MadmanEU on December 21st, 2009 at 9:17 am said:

Just don’t make this another SOCOM. There is a reason why games need to be tested thoroughly, especially massively online ones like this.

Out of pure skepticism I won’t be buying this until reviews are in, and the first few patches released.

+ TRILLHILL11 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:18 am said:

Congrads Zipper for a fine piece of work on MAG. Its not my cup of tea but i STILL want it to succeed. Am i the ONLY ONE who got a DOUBLE MEANING out of the last statement “Thank you very much for supporting our community and our game in 2009, and we look forward to giving you exactly what you’ve been waiting for in 2010!” Im/We are waiting for SOCOM 4- /SIX

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on December 21st, 2009 at 9:23 am said:

Will MAG support custom soundtracks?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

We have different composers for each PMC — so the music changes based on what faction you\’re aligned with; that\’s part of the experience; using a custom soundtrack would remove that connection/

+ sethchilders on December 21st, 2009 at 9:25 am said:

All right! The beta comes out on my birthday!

+ bushisprez on December 21st, 2009 at 9:31 am said:

its the demo. its not a beta unless their is closed/exclusive access. lol

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:09 am said:

A beta is any pre-release software that needs testing prior to release. A demo is a small glimpse at the final product prior to release. Given that we will be actively looking for things that may need correction before release on the game servers, this is most definitely a beta.

A beta with closed access is a Private Beta, one with exclusive access is a Public beta, while access for anyone/everyone is an Open beta. (Whew)

+ SPJammer on December 21st, 2009 at 9:31 am said:

Man only 6 days to play the beta Waaaaaahh. Then again I have been suffering withdrawl since the beta ended. Be glad to play this again. Gonna suck though seeing the MAG icon on my PS3 for about 2 weeks knowing I can’t play it till the 4th.

+ MaDogNik96 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:32 am said:

Good stuff. I was in the first beta and thought it was pretty good, but I hope it’s been improved since then.

+ BananaFish on December 21st, 2009 at 9:33 am said:

MASSIVE ACTION GAME!!!

+ DADDYB21 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:33 am said:

JD its my b-day today so thats a great gift………

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:10 am said:

Happy birthday!

+ Darnell0216 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:34 am said:

(a la Homer Simpson): Woohoo!!

+ YidArmyUK on December 21st, 2009 at 9:36 am said:

So this means a delayed European release? Are we looking at February?

+ QCVic on December 21st, 2009 at 9:41 am said:

First off congrats on finally going gold!!!

Thanks for hearing the request for one more beta!!

Jeremy? Where do you stand SVER Raven or Valor!!

You also have a happy holiday!!

+ WuStank81 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:42 am said:

A little reading comprehension for (some of) you guys so you don’t get your hopes up and crushed when you can’t play it tomorrow:

“In an effort to give you a taste of what to expect with the final version of MAG, Zipper and Sony Computer Entertainment will team up on January 4 to bring you our final and 100% open PSN beta.”

JAN 4 is when it starts. You can download it starting tomorrow, but it won’t work until the servers go live on Jan. 4.

+ Z3M0G on December 21st, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

“Why is there a beta after it’s already gone gold?”

To stress test the servers.

+ NubornLord on December 21st, 2009 at 9:43 am said:

Wait? Can I use the Media Go PS Store to DL it? Not getting my PS3 till friday :(

+ xiked on December 21st, 2009 at 9:44 am said:

Congratz and wish you good luck. But it is a problem that you did not included a headset in the pakage..this is a must have in this game.

+ bball230 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:45 am said:

Great news! 2 questions though that i hope you can answer for me.

1) Will this beta have improvements to it from the last beta, (visual enhancements, glitch fixes, etc..)

2) Will the Final game be packaged with the Official PS3 Bluetooth headset? (The game has no single player, and the game being an online only Massive multiplayer game, really does need a good audio communication system for everyone, to experience it well to its full potential)

+ Gekidami on December 21st, 2009 at 9:48 am said:

Will this beta be open at all times of the day then? Or will the servers be closed at certain times like with the older beta?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:14 am said:

It will be open 24/7!

+ Camoi1 on December 21st, 2009 at 9:49 am said:

Wait! I’m getting my PS3 december 25th! Will I still be able to downlaod it?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:16 am said:

Yep, you\’ll be able to download it any time before the beta ends — but given its size, we wanted people to be able to get a head start if they wanted one.

+ condensensation on December 21st, 2009 at 9:51 am said:

If we were on the last beta will we have to download the whole thing again? Or will it be a smaller added download? I have a monthly download limit of 30Gig and I almost have it maxed!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on December 21st, 2009 at 10:22 am said:

It\’s a new set of files, so your old demo won\’t work (that was version 4.5, and this 5.0)

+ rawstory on December 21st, 2009 at 9:54 am said:

What do you want a freaking medal for finally opening up a beta to your customers?

Heck, based on your history it probably won’t even work.

The dark secret of these closed betas and demos is that Sony charges gaming companies far more than the competition to host their products online.

As I complained the other day, I demand some customer service person at Sony contact me by email regarding a response I got when I emailed Sony with a complaint.

Anyway, this is a company that pretends that the public prefers PSN to be updated once a week (and never at a specific time) instead of every day at the competition.

Prepare, to be disappointed people. I got screwed out of the Resistance 2 beta like thousands of others and I’m sure it will happen again.

+ spidersparlor on December 21st, 2009 at 9:57 am said:

I would love to enjoy this, but alas my PS3 is sent in for service and I doubt I will have it back in time to enjoy the open beta.

Perhaps when I get extra money I will rent/buy the game and see what transpires.

+ FoxGirl on December 21st, 2009 at 9:59 am said:

Ugh, Europe gets shafted YET AGAIN! Everyone would have the game early (even those damn Japanese that don’t even care about most western shooters!) but us pusy euros. :(

Ahh well, if the SVER map’s been fixed I might buy the game otherwise I don’t think I’d bite. Is the beta worldwide? or just for US. japanese and Koreans?

+ ADR143 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

been beta since day one i want to see how much it improve

+ Nader-Abudiix on December 21st, 2009 at 10:00 am said:

please why do you guys let us download 2GB update i cant download it my internet is slow it will take me ages to download it just make the file come from the store 2Gb with the update in it already please

+ psuniversal on December 21st, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

There is a survey that says that Sony might make the psn have a subscription fee. Here is the link: http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/9/2009/12/survey.jpg . Anyway if Sony does go through with the fee then I’ll probably be one of the millions that stops using the PlayStation network. If they want me to pay for something that is already great but make it cost 70 dollars a year and then not throw in any good features then im just going to not use it any more. It would be really stupid on Sony’s part to take and add the fee in there and there are a lot of people that would agree with me. Sure if it is cheap enough and not 10 dollars per month and they allowed that fee to subtract some of the cost of items on the psn then sure i might pay for it then. My point here is that Sony shouldn’t take something so great and screw it up by making us pay for it (and not giving us any good services in return).

+ KGH on December 21st, 2009 at 10:02 am said:

Wow! this is incredible! i loved being in the closed beta, and cant wait to download this updated version. I love the game and am definately planning on purchasing. This is a real treat, santa came early this year for sure

+ Se7enthSign on December 21st, 2009 at 10:06 am said:

@34: What, exactly are you talking about? Nevermind. Really, I don’t even care.

I’m looking forward to this, but I’d love to see the next true Socom as well. Are you guys still involved with the series, or is it all Slant Six now. Unlike most here, I’m willing to give them another shot. With all of the source material out there right now, I’m sure Socom 4 can bring the franchise back to its former glory.

+ Korbei83 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:12 am said:

“Multiplayer Online Only”

A phrase you won’t find on any other console.

+ acerazer1 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:23 am said:

Say what you want about MAG (it’s a love/hate game and I personally enjoy it), but Zipper knows how to run stuff. Definitely the best run beta I’ve ever been a part of or heard about, which is all the more reason to get this game. You know Zipper won’t let you down should problems arise.

+ zombie9 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:27 am said:

Things I would like to see in MAG:
CO-OP (2 player split screen on 1 PS3)
A main story not online only
Coustom Sound tracks
Maybe I’m getting to old but why are all of these first person shooters 1 player only and online most can handle 32 players at the same time. I guess it’s just not that important any more. :(

+ tetsou9shima on December 21st, 2009 at 10:30 am said:

Wow you’re one bitter man Rawstory. Take your medication and calm down. The other beta’s went great. The game plays nice and smooth. This is the first huge multiplayer battle that actually feels huge. Nothing is going to keep you from being able to play the beta so relax and enjoy.

Oh…and I’m pretty sure demanding an answer on the blog about your complaint is a big waist of time. Talk to support and work your way up until you get the answer your looking for.

+ raygun333 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:32 am said:

#39- They are talking about adding NEW things to PSN that have subscription fees, not charging for what we have now! Relax. (and I don’t mean all new things will have subscription fees, just types of products that work in subscription, like the Qore magazine subscription)

+ WuStank81 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:35 am said:

zombie9, WTF…. it is up to 256 online. I lost you with this 32 player thing. They explained custom soundtracks earlier. They develop music that adds to the experience.

It’a an online game. So hence, no “main story” outside of the online.

It sounds as if you should just get ANOTHER game, not this one if you don’t understand the differences and what they are doing with this Massive Action Game online multiplayer online.

+ WuStank81 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:37 am said:

@34 – Raw Story

What is your problem???? Go flame elsewhere, this has nothing to do with your past issues or troubles. If you don’t want to play this game, then don’t. If you do, then play this six day BETA/demo to see if you want to buy the retail version.

Seem difficult to me!

+ Demolitio on December 21st, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Zipper, you guys are amazing! Can’t wait to play again with hopefully some decent squadmembers on Valor.Oh, and if you guys want to send me a private message and give me the lowdown on SOCOM 4, I won’t tell anyone. :P (I wish)

Have a merry Christmas!

+ dime5150 on December 21st, 2009 at 10:39 am said:

Wow this is great. I haven’t played any of it yet and a good way to fill some time on my days off! Hope it is good!

PAGE 1 2 3 6