PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

MAG is Gold, Beta for Everyone Soon

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Dunham on Dec 21, 2009 // Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

On behalf of everyone at Zipper Interactive, I’m proud to announce that following our successful series of beta programs this past fall, our 256-player first-person shooting spectacular, MAG, has gone gold in North America, Japan, Korea, and the rest of Asia. It is now headed off to manufacturing so that the game can make it from store shelves to PlayStation 3s all over the world. Expect MAG to drop on January 26 in North America and Asia, January 28 in Japan, and January 29 in Korea.

MAG Packfront Final!

The European discs are finishing up final quality assurance rounds right now and we expect to see those editions go gold sometime in the next few weeks.

We realize that the wait is still more than a month away, which is why we’re also pleased to announce a cool little surprise (or should I say, a “great, big surprise?”) to tide you over. In an effort to give you a taste of what to expect with the final version of MAG, Zipper and Sony Computer Entertainment will team up on January 4 to bring you our final and 100% open PSN beta.

But what’s so great about MAG Beta 5? Well, to start, it will take place worldwide — so if you’re in a territory with a PlayStation 3 and an Internet connection, you qualify to be a part of it. What’s more is that you won’t need any special permissions or code keys to participate, you’ll just get it and go! Complete access to the game’s 64-player sabotage and 256-player Domination modes are pretty good reasons to get excited too.

Of course, the best news about MAG Beta 5 is that you’ll be able to download the client in North America starting tomorrow, December 22! Additionally, PS3 owners in Asia can start downloading the file on December 25, while the European store will make it available on January 4. Check back for details on Japanese PSN store access in the near future.

Now that you know where to get the MAG Beta, your path to playing it is a simple three-step process:

1. Log on to the PlayStation Store (tomorrow) and download the MAG Beta file like you would any other freely-available PSN video or demo (298 MB)
  2. Launch the MAG Beta program from your XMB to download a special patch that will restart MAG once the update has been received (another 38 MB)
  3. After the reboot, the beta will reconnect and download the actual game data so that you can play (1.8 GB – 2.3 GB depending on your region)

Complete the steps above and you’ll be ready to rock ‘n roll — and shoot things and blow stuff up — until the beta ends on January 10 at 11:59 pm Pacific Time. Keep in mind, though, that you won’t actually be able to play the MAG beta directly until the servers go live at 5 am Pacific on January 4. But hey, look at the bright side: this is the last time you’ll ever have to download a MAG file this big (since the data will already be on the retail disc when it ships next month), and you’ll save a whole lot of extra shooting time by downloading what you need early on; thus allowing you to jump into the action immediately on the 4th.

Oh, and one last thing before I go: I know I speak for everyone here at Zipper Interactive when I say that each and every one of us wishes you and yours a happy and safe holiday season. Thank you very much for supporting our community and our game in 2009, and we look forward to giving you exactly what you’ve been waiting for in 2010!

MAG screenshot new

PAGE 1 4 5 6

+ Pundre on December 30th, 2009 at 4:16 pm said:

can any part/mode be played offline..? maybe a training mode with bots..

+ The_X_Factor_9 on December 30th, 2009 at 11:36 pm said:

I have to admit, I was going to pass on this game, but an Open Beta sounds awfully tempting. I’ll be happy to give it a go.

I’m very impressed with the amount of correspondence you have done with the PlayStation fans JD. I too, miss your articles on IGN.

Honestly, having you on board to promote this game makes me feel a whole lot legitimate in my opinion.

+ calledcold on January 2nd, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

I was wondering if there will be a subscription required or will online play be free. Either or I am very much looking forward to playing.

+ OmegaX591 on January 3rd, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

13 more hours!(CST)
Seryi Volk Executive Response!!!
MAG uses PSN, PSN = Free.

+ YunMing on January 4th, 2010 at 4:29 am said:

Thus I leave the 256th comment =]

+ TheGovrnment on January 4th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

i can’t get the beta to work. it says that there is a server problem… am i the only one that this is happening to? did the beta crash?

+ kamp19 on January 4th, 2010 at 12:37 pm said:

you guys really need to quit [DELETED] up with the beta’s, how are we suppose to know if the game is any good if we can not play it

+ kamp19 on January 4th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

did the beta crash or did the game makers screw it up, it was working just fine till they messed with it the first time

+ mattehISme on January 7th, 2010 at 9:43 pm said:

the game is almost downloading. i have high hopes!!!

+ Exia34567 on January 8th, 2010 at 3:15 am said:

Can the game be less stupid and come as a 2GB package that can be downloaded in background while I play other games.

Rather, it comes in a ~40MB package that insist on downloading 1.x GB data on startup, DURING WHICH I CAN DO _NOTHING_ WITH THE PS3, there is not even a CANCEL button. I have to force quit your game.

I *might* start the download when I plan on leaving my PS3 on for a while, but your assumption that I am going to like your game _so much_ to sit idly through who-knows-how-long download without even giving me a “cancel” option does not indicate a high quality game to me.

+ d3f1cat3 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

I was pretty disappointed.

The respawn times were way too long at times. MW2 has the perfect span concept.

Its not a true 256 player game as each unit is broken up and can not help out another durign game play.

No vehicles to test. Hopefully they have vehicles like battlefield 2 but from the looks of the terrain on maps they probably wont. ahhh i miss those vehicles on that game.

Graphics were sub-standard. It looked like so-com quality… Resistance 2 has much better graphics and that is 60 players so it can be done. But this is a beta so it may improve.

I will probably rent it and pray for major improvements. With 2 weeks until shipment you can guess that major changes will not occur. All they can do is load patches as most of the games are already packaged up.

+ TaMpA_bLaCk on January 13th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

its decent game but stick to socom for realistic shooter with the new maps & race or mw2 for 1st person soot em up krazyness

+ naru7777f on January 13th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

So today is Jan 13 so the servers wont work and the beta over?

PAGE 1 4 5 6