Minecraft PS4

make.believe: Gran Turismo Made Him a Pro

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 06, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

If you followed along with today’s Sony CES press conference, you got a taste of Sony’s unified, global “make.believe” message. The philosophy behind make.believe is simple: Believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real. So what does that mean, exactly? A couple of examples were shown off during the press conference, but here’s an example that is a little more on track for us gamers: the story of how Lucas Ordonez went from Gran Turismo player to real-life racer:

For more stories like this, and more Sony Electronics news from CES, head on over to Sony.com.
Of course, we’ll be providing gaming highlights right here on the PlayStation.Blog. And for those joining us tomorrow afternoon – see you there!

62 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ jmtstan1138 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:06 pm said:

wow…

+ Kchow23 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:08 pm said:

cool! wish I can do my own video too aspiring to become a game designer :)

+ BlooodyCow on January 6th, 2010 at 6:11 pm said:

congrats to that guy and the winner of this year competition.

+ ycole11 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

This is actually pretty cool. Make. Believe

+ remanutd5 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:15 pm said:

congrats Lucas

+ assassin4321 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:16 pm said:

we need an app for the iphone/ipod that lets you which of your friends are online and also let you send and recieve messeges OR go ahead and make a REMOTE PLAY App it should be named PS Network or something … ANY1 AGREE

+ NoxNoctisUmbra on January 6th, 2010 at 6:18 pm said:

Amazing video! I talked with the guy on the forums! :D

+ TheGuardianFID on January 6th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

I like it, Awesome Sony, I approve this message lol, sorry I couldn’t resist!!! ;P :D

+ crazypeng1 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:24 pm said:

Just to put a different perspective on this, not to be disrespectful to sony or anything, but what are these… things supposed to do? I’m pretty sure that it didn’t entice me to buy GT, and it didn’t make me hold anymore respect for professional racers than what I had before (personally I don’t, I’m sorry if that offends you, but that is my simple honest thought) So what is it meant to do? Am i supposed to feel inspired that a guy played a video game instead of studying and ended up professionally racing? Of course i could simply be the incorrect audience for this to appeal to, so i might just be incredibly wrong about everything anyway and some other people may find this as their inspiration to do great things If that is the case, than you can disregard my comment, as I am not fit to judge this campaign.

+ trinigamer101 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

Man i cry and touch too.

+ XScreamingEagleX on January 6th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

wow!!

Gran Turismo ftw!!

+ mundox86 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

Very touching video :)

+ NYPenguin on January 6th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

I agree with crazypeng1
what is “make.believe”? Is this another way to advertise the games? trying to brainwash people to buy the game just because someone become a professional driver by playing racing games, it will not change anything.
I will only buy a game if its good, not because it has some sort of “inspiration” boohoo!

+ Punk_JUNKY1989 on January 6th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Cool. This inspired me to become a fortune hunter. I think I’d better play some more Uncharted 2. lol

+ SirCedric on January 6th, 2010 at 6:42 pm said:

Make.believe us a March 2010 release date in the United States.

+ EventStatus on January 6th, 2010 at 6:44 pm said:

Nice video! However, it’s NEVER easy to be picked up (sponser) or even making that transition from game to real life. I would have loved to see the hard work and determination, which got him to where he is today. Not just 2 seconds of seeing him play GT. But ofcourse, it’s only a short vid.

Goodluck to Lucas, he’s living his dream, one out of million people get to do it.

+ DKShadow on January 6th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

Make.believe isn’t meant to sell games. It’s a slogan that the entire company uses for all their products. It’s like this: You imagine how awesome it would be, if you could read a recipe, while you’re in the kitchen, preparing whatever. This could obviously be done with a laptop or a cell phone, but now Sony also offers this using the newly announced Sony Dash device. You believe it can be done (you imagine it) and voila, Sony make it happen. It applies to everything; imagine the posibilities, make them happen.

+ gundamman on January 6th, 2010 at 6:58 pm said:

in the conference he said that the believe is all their goals and ambitions, and make is the drive and different ways of doing things, and the “.” is where they meet and make something AMAZING, also im calling it right now, but with psn coming to our laptops, blu ray players, and hd3d tv’s, sony is shapin up to be sky net, lolz, in before the apocalypse, HAHA XD

+ EventStatus on January 6th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

@ 18

LOL Bring on skynet! I look forward to the machines. Can’t be any worse then how people act in the world today.

+ Blkant on January 6th, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

Wow… Seriously wow… Call it pathetic if you want but I literally teared up for a second to think his dream came through through something so simplistic as that… No joke.

This needs to be an add on tv, because I’m almost certain people aren’t aware of this and would certainly make people think for a moment.

+ CrimsonFox13 on January 6th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

The video was corny, but it gave me chills. So you can take that as a good sign. Creative and artsy, I think. Would be better to see him racing others in the end, though.

+ larkija on January 6th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

Wow, thats amazing…

@14
lol me too

+ Subie_Rey on January 6th, 2010 at 7:39 pm said:

How I envy this guy. I’ve been a hardcore fan of the GT series. I’ve finished all previous GTs, and am currently playing the GT5 Time Challenge and GT PSP. The simulation actually saved my life preparing me on how a car reacts in a certain situation and, even when I totalled the car, I escaped unscratched. I kept my cool all the way and corrected the car’s travel to avoid further damage. It’s definitely nice that he had the chance to be further trained. Keep it up man, and Good Luck!

+ Kodaime on January 6th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

Hey Jeff, is there any site i can watch the Sony CES?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 6th, 2010 at 7:46 pm said:

Sony’s unified? Hah, I’ll believe it when I see it, if Sony was unified, we’d have SPA doing Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter full feature animated films, we’d have SCEA making Cloudy with a chance of meatballs games instead of Ubisoft, we’d have a Michael Jackson Singstar, we’d have more SME songs on the singstore, etc etc etc, Sony Unified, make.believe indeed because I don’t believe that.

Cool video though.

+ Mindplague on January 6th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

Please put this ad on TV in every major city.. People need to see what Sony and its development studios do for people and how they constantly push the envelope.

+ Conrad_Max on January 6th, 2010 at 9:09 pm said:

The video is very inspirational. I think this video should have more exposure in order to show that despite all the negativity regarding videogaming, good things do happen. Congradulations to Mr. Ordonez.

+ psyXcho on January 6th, 2010 at 10:06 pm said:

make DOT believe = worst catch phrase ever… you seriously need to fire whoever comes up with these ideas…

+ WingReborn on January 6th, 2010 at 10:29 pm said:

Touching and inspirational :) So what’s next? 22 gamers in Uncharted 2? And turn them in archaeologists? Bounty Hunters? :) That’d be pretty sweet, haha. And congratulations to Mr. Ordonez!

+ Niko_9 on January 6th, 2010 at 11:42 pm said:

Best game ever!

+ Cat_Corye on January 7th, 2010 at 1:12 am said:

So when is their going to be on the PSN store for download? Just wondering, because I think my friends and family would love it.

+ poweredbyzen on January 7th, 2010 at 2:44 am said:

i want to make.believe sony will give out more free stuff on playstation network. let’s see that happen! thanks in advance! hehe!

+ CRONIC_GAMER on January 7th, 2010 at 3:04 am said:

@ assassin4321

there is such an app and it is called ” itrophy” it works great if you log in correctly the first time

+ DiscoJer on January 7th, 2010 at 3:32 am said:

This is exactly the reason Sony is in 3rd place.

Rather than focus on making games and releasing them, they seem to focus on well, stuff like this.

LBP PSP was another thing. They had some design contest for art students in SF. But they couldn’t even get the game up properly on PSN until a week later.

Gamers want games, period. Sony has done this pretty well in some cases (Uncharted 2, for instance). But it seems they want to focus more on being popular than actually putting out great games.

Imagine what all this money that went to this contest could have done in the hands of developers. Perhaps funded a bunch of indy projects that would have shored up the flagging developer support of the PSP (the gaming device Sony often forgets about).

Maybe it could go to staffing the PSN store full time, instead of updating only once a week on a Thursday.

Maybe it could have gone to funding development of SoE games to be played on Sony gaming devices, instead of the PC?

Heck, maybe they could have developed an actual career mode for PSP Gran Turismo…

+ GreyFoXX4 on January 7th, 2010 at 3:49 am said:

@33

Just to let you know Sony has alot more than just a games division lol. So this type of vid is actually showcasing Sony and its overall brand appeal. If you took this just as a gaming advertisment you are clearly looking into the wrong direction of what this vid was doing and suppose to do.

+ Kartana on January 7th, 2010 at 5:07 am said:

Never heard of him. And I’m a racing fan…

+ ADR143 on January 7th, 2010 at 5:35 am said:

dam!

+ theBedBurner on January 7th, 2010 at 6:27 am said:

I AM THE STIG.

+ lopes_br on January 7th, 2010 at 6:38 am said:

wow…

GT5 FTW

@14, me too.

I will play more Uncharted 1

+ Cesarcsrf on January 7th, 2010 at 6:38 am said:

wow

+ BigBossAdvance on January 7th, 2010 at 6:53 am said:

I wanna download this TV AD on Play Station Store.
Can SCE provide this AD?1080P of course.

+ Santos21 on January 7th, 2010 at 7:27 am said:

very cool commercial!

+ remanutd5 on January 7th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

lol at 36 , if you are a GT fan and you have GT5 P you would know who he his , just download for FREE the nissan academy contestants and then the 24 hours Dubai race you would be his whole journey from GT5 P gamer to Profesional Driver

+ remanutd5 on January 7th, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

sorry i meant to say you would see his whole journey

+ Korbei83 on January 7th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

In Canada, I guess we’ll just have to take that ‘make.believe’ slogan a little more literally than intended.

+ DieUnbeliever on January 7th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

Well, going back to the days of all the GTA3 hoax, let’s hope that not ‘all’ gamers are inspired by the games they play. Otherwise, Sony will end up proving to all the parents that GTA is ‘bad’ for the world! LOL! I really see that this is going to pop-up in the news soon! Hahaha! Well, I am inspired by God of War… anybody here seen Zeus around? I have a bone to pick with him.

+ DieUnbeliever on January 7th, 2010 at 8:53 am said:

FYI to my last comment, to prevent confusing, I know this video is about GT… and yes, I meant GTA! lol

+ thepatriots on January 7th, 2010 at 9:45 am said:

Any chance of seeing some GT5 videos since it is on the show floor?

+ alaM0000 on January 7th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

Cool!!!!!!!!!!!! =)

+ katsuo7171 on January 7th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

“Believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real.” I think that can really apply to me, especially since my grades have been slipping lately. Nice story guys and congrats Lucas. I hope I have a make.believe story and eventually work for Naughty Dog(I love those guys).

PAGE 1 2