Driveclub

Introducing the Official Heavy Rain Box Art

Cristian Cardona's Avatar + Posted by Cristian Cardona on Jan 12, 2010 // Associate Product Marketing Manager, Software Marketing

Hi folks!

Some of you surfing around yesterday might have stumbled upon what might be the US packfront. We just wanted to drop a note to everyone confirming that the below, is indeed, the US packfront for Heavy Rain:

Heavy Rain PS3 Packfront

We’re also able to confirm Heavy Rain‘s final ESRB rating has come in at a strong M for Blood, Intense Violence, Nudity, Sexual Content, Strong Language and Use of Drugs. And for those of you who have asked, the content is exactly the same as what’s being released in all our territories, so you’ll get to enjoy it exactly as Quantic Dream intended.

We’ll have much more in the coming days as we get closer to launch, so keep an eye out on the Blog for more information on one of PlayStation’s hottest titles of 2010!

+ AutomaticOcelot on January 12th, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

Yay, wasn’t planning on importing it like I did for Fahrenheit. It’s nice to play a whole game. :)

+ T3mpr1x on January 12th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

Looks nice, but the origami image kind of makes the lead woman look really thin! Weird effect.

+ Apple_Taco on January 12th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

looks great, sexy and stunning

+ letherclad on January 12th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

Can’t wait! I’m still kinda pissed that the european collector’s packaging isn’t coming to america though

+ remanutd5 on January 12th, 2010 at 11:49 am said:

Hey Jeff can you tell me where can i get the Ratchet and Clank and Resistance action figurines?

Cristian Cardona's Avatar

+ Cristian Cardona on January 12th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

So far, the best best is Amazon.com!

+ kosluftar on January 12th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

EU cover will make people that doesn’t know anything about this game think that it is some kind of Origami creating simulator.

This box art is better.

+ mosespippy on January 12th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

This is way better than what PS3Attitude was reporting as the North American box art. What they were showing was ugly and was driving me to import from europe just for decent cover art. This is a great improvement over that, so I won’t need to import it now. If only it had the old PS3 branding instead of the new branding. That [DELETED] is ugly and looks out of place next to my massive collection that uses the old branding.

+ Blkant on January 12th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

To be honest, the EU cover looks a lot better…

+ almighty-slayer on January 12th, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

It’s turd. Change it to the European one.

+ Othello500 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

I get that the box art was made this way to help prevent Heavy Rain from being lost in the mist among other, more traditional and familiar Q1 games. Still, I can help but notice that the box art has been sexualized in order to attract the average gamers. I think it’s cheap, but I get it and I don’t blame Quantic Dream for making the decision.

However, I must admit I was really looking forward to the EU box art making it’s way over the pond, but I should have known better or at least acknowledged how companies view marketing a product to the American public.

I don’t like it, but I was going to buy the game anyway. Then again, I could always import.

+ angelspawn77 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

its ok, but i got a question regarding the rating. There will be nudity and [DELETED] im sure, but as for the sexual content, how explicit will it be? will it be like mass effect/dragon age or will it be much more revealing? The reason I ask is because my little sister likes to watch me play some games and i dont want a very explicit scene to come up when she’s watching. If its explicit then she will not be watching. Is this game very explicit or just implied sex without showing alot?

+ Ruffday on January 12th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Can you give an estimate on single person run through time? One character

+ SPOOKULA209 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

I would buy this game just based off of the box art lol. I am going to play indigo prophecy first before I decide whether I want to pick this game up or not. The game does look really cool though

+ likedatkilla on January 12th, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

you guys FAILED!
FAILED LIKE ICO BOX ART
YOU SHOULD OF JUST LEFT THE UK BOX ART AND BLENDED IN THE MAIN CHARACTER’S FACES IN THE ORIGAMI. That would be HOT!

+ KSPRAYDAD on January 12th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

@Cristian…

Thanks for the good news about alternate boxart. (#24)

+ tolkienfanatic on January 12th, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

It’s unfortunate that this cover sucks so much.

+ Jon_Mclane on January 12th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

I like it. Good box art is a must. I always judge a book by its cover.

+ x_VarPo_x on January 12th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

I do not like, better to EU

+ KSPRAYDAD on January 12th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

@60…based on the timing of your post you obviously hadn’t read any of Cristian’s responses before YELLING right?

+ Sleibhin on January 12th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

The EU Box Art is so much better. I can’t believe they changed the logotype too a plain looking sans serif font. LAME. Also, its like they had to work some [DELETED] in on the cover.

+ Jeigh on January 12th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

Pretty damn impressive when your in-game models are fit for box-art, eh? Be proud because, from what I can tell, you’ve done a very good thing here.

Happy launch! :D

+ hush404 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

OMG.

I was excited for the game but thought the image floating around was so plain, this ONE KICKS ASS :D

Thx.

+ acerazer1 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

The box art is pretty stylish, I will be getting this game eventually.

And not just for digital boobies…

+ dinkin-flicka on January 12th, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

I’m ready to play this new CSI game! Oh wait, nevermind.

I’ll be importing the UK version.

+ StarkKat on January 12th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

THANK YOU for info on the content and rating! Off to pre-order right now! =D

PS: I think the US cover is better.

+ jqtaxpayer on January 12th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

One could draw interesting conclusions on what a company assumes (however correct such an assumption may be) about its target market in a certain region based upon differences in the box art. What would make a marketing team think that a picture of a paper crane wouldn’t resonate with an American player in the way that it would resonate with a, say, British player?

Anyway, the EU box art is better, but if I didn’t feel the need to cover up The Orange Box, I don’t think I’ll go out of my way to cover up an NA version of Heavy Rain… assuming I purchase one, since I don’t know too much about the game.

+ scorpio182 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

Looks good though no wow factor, but I like how it kind of has a movie look to it.

I pre-ordered it last week….Can’t wait…

+ Se_7_eN on January 12th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

You guys can’t be serious with this box art…… Oh’ you are?

……. That sucks.

+ mywhitenoise on January 12th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

I can’t believe many of you are saying you like this cover art. You guys have no taste.

This cover is selling sex, the UK cover is selling mystery and suspense.

+ KingMob on January 12th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

I agree with the majority here. The US box art stinks.

Or just include the EU cover art underneath the US cover art so we don’t have to waste our time printing out the cover that everyone REALLY wants.

+ the_Willard on January 12th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

wow. that is pretty rad. definitely gives it a “film noir” type of look.

+ Curse7781 on January 12th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

I already preordered my copy of the game and I can’t wait till its released. As for the cover, I think it fits the mood its trying to give while also showing the cast of the game.

I am eager to see how the trophy list consists of…

+ Darth-Krayt on January 12th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

I like this cover more than the EU one, but I can’t say I think either is amazing. But that doesn’t matter anyway because I don’t sit there looking at the cover art. The only game I ever sat there staring at the cober art was the Kollector’s Edition of Mortal Kombat vs DC, because you can’t help but stare at Alex Ross art…..amazing.

The only part of the Heavy Rain cover I will ever see really is the spine sitting on my game shelf in alphabetical order. It will be sitting between Heavenly Sword and Killzone 2…..good company indeed. Thanks for the incredible game, and thanks for saving me $6 with the great pre-order bonus. I have a quick question for you though…..

Since I’m getting the “prologue chapter” for pre-ordering, and since you guys know your game better than anyone else right now, do you suggest I play the “prologue chapter” before or after I play the main game?

+ TheRevisionIsm on January 12th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

Can I get the UK box art because this one is really ugly. I know that American box art has this unspoken rule about having the main hero on it but seriously…

+ narcoptik on January 12th, 2010 at 1:35 pm said:

Honestly, it’s terrible and I’m rather inclined to have the EU stylings instead. You’ll find the readership of Kotaku.com agrees:

+ kani-sans on January 12th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

my wife and i are really looking forward to this. i’m guessing it’s a little late to ask questions and get a reply, but was wondering if anyone would know if other language tracks are available on the NA release?

we REALLY appreciated the Japanese presentation that Mr. de Fondaumière did a while back, and hearing characters in janpanese (native language) helped her relate to it more. we even started getting tied to them with that last trailer as well.

+ McSqueeb on January 12th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

I too like the EU cover better. I will be on the lookout for the pdf. And thanks for providing one so easily!

+ poodude on January 12th, 2010 at 2:00 pm said:

I’m glad we can print off the European box art, because I personally like it a lot more. But either way, I can’t wait for this game!

+ tashpool on January 12th, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

The box art is a step down from the EU counterpart. Too much going on and it doesn’t blend together very well.

Still looking forward to the game, but I’ll be tossing this cover when I can get a good print out from overseas.

+ mattwantsmore on January 12th, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

Jeff the British Board of Film Classification, although have no doubts giving what this game features “Nutidy, Violence, and etc” an M rating. BBFC gave this game a Teen rating. Why has other rating systems given this an M but BBFC a T. Like they so claim it’s the separation from reality and virtuality what allowed this game keeping T rating even though the depictions were oftenly opposed.

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on January 12th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

To quote Kotaku:

“Another perfectly good box art ruined by Americans”.

Rubbish.

+ Ti_dus on January 12th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

This is just UGLY, comparing to our amazing EU box art ;)

+ Einhander138 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

It’s rubbish!

+ firstworldman on January 12th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

What a terrible decision to change the box art from the European version. Either way, I hope PlayStation delivers with a PDF we can download to cover this collaged mess. I personally don’t like it. This is just as big a •uck up as the ICO cover from back in the PlayStation 2 days.

Honestly, what makes marketing people so certain that something so bland would sell better for a game that is trying to change the way people perceive games? Less of the same, PLEASE.

Also, don’t take my comments too hard. It’s just constructive criticism from a long time fan of games and PS.

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on January 12th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

It’s nice that you’re going to provide alternate cover art on the blog, but it would be a whole lot better if the retail cover was reversible so we wouldn’t have to use a crappy print out. I don’t have any of that slick fancy paper or a particularly great printer right now. I’ll just stick with the nicely printed but ugly North American cover I guess.

+ killaKAM938 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

rly i dont see what the problem is with the cover i actually like it, great job

+ station3fever on January 12th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Nothing like a lovely women on the front cover, always a plus. nice job people :)

+ choEfrownz on January 12th, 2010 at 3:09 pm said:

@50 agreed.

+ Thrasher20 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

Nice little paper bird thing

+ B_E_A_N_R_M_A_N on January 12th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

haha i like it cant wait to play the game good job quantic