PS4-Watch_Dogs

MAG CES Event and New Tournament Details

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 12, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Not all the talk at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show was about 3D. Last Thursday, Zipper Interactive and SCEA hosted a CES MAG event at the Aria Las Vegas. One hundred community members (some from as far away as New York!) and a host of gaming and consumer electronics media joined us to celebrate MAG going gold, but the hospitality didn’t end at the hors d’oeuvres line; the first attendees through the door will receive a free retail copy of MAG later this month.

MAG Community Event @ CES - Zipper developers with the fans

MAG Community Event @ CES - Team Valor! MAG Community Event @ CES

If you weren’t one of the lucky attendees but would still like to see some of the action from last week’s event, head on over to our Flickr page where you can see the highlights.

Right after we announced the gift, MAG Designer Ben Jones talked with me about what Zipper learned in the beta process to make the final launch super smooth on January 26th.

Our CES Community event wasn’t the only big news for Zipper last week. Our MAG open beta was an enormous success too, with players from all over the world helping us put the finishing touches on our game. In fact, more than a million players worldwide (860,000 in North America alone) downloaded the MAG beta between January 4 and 10 to get their Sabotage and Domination on.

But there’s more! U.S. players who still want their fill of MAG goodness before it officially comes out on January 26 can still battle it out with the PMC of their choice by heading on over to IGN.com and signing up for its MAG Tournament. Not only can you continue to shoot S.V.E.R., Raven and Valor opponents as much as you want between January 14 and 22, but you can win prizes too! So make sure you sign up before the deadline, which is tonight at 11:59pm Pacific Time.

PAGE 1 2

+ katsuo7171 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I love this game. I feel sorry for the people who couldn’t play the beta the first day cause of server issues and immediately marked it as a stupid/mediocre game. Not only that but it was a beta. So yea the game looks way better than phase 1, controls better than phase 1, and sounds better than phase 1. I don’t see why itt wouldn’t be the same between phase 5 and release.

ANYWAY, great interview Jeff. Plus when are we going to see the trophy list for this game

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 12th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

You\’ll see it soon, katsuo. Thanks!

+ kosluftar on January 12th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

MAG is looking good.
Where is God of War 3?

+ katsuo7171 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Oh yea I forgot. At 3:42 the video just cuts off and ends. Is this only happening to me?

+ depward on January 12th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Fantastic game; loved the beta so much and have already pre-ordered.

One idea / suggestion which I think would really be awesome: how about launching some premium avatars of the PMC logos? Not only will you be accomplishing adding more premium avatars but I think releasing avatar content in conjunction with an impending release could drum up even more sales (due to people being hyped for the game, etc.).

Anyway, just a thought.

RAVEN!!

+ Blkant on January 12th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

I want that S.V.E.R. shirt O_O…….

+ Dragonzblaze on January 12th, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

videos on ps3 browser still not working also demanding new god of war 3 footage next week

+ DestructableCake on January 12th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

Does anyone know if MAG will be available to download as well as buy in stores similar to what Socom was/is?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on January 12th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

Blu-ray disc only – the download would be staggeringly huge!

+ samich2007 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

And where is raven???:P

+ TheGuardianFID on January 12th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

I have this baby pre-ordered, I loved the betas, nicely done Zipper!!! :D

+ LapinWhite on January 12th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

And of course, canadians can’t register for the beta…

+ Mighty-LordNes on January 12th, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

@ 7

Only if you wanna download for at least 2 weeks straight! “SARCASM”

The answer is no. It’s too much of a big download. Therefor the game is only available on disc @ retail stores.

+ Cat_Corye on January 12th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

What?!? now Raven shirt?

+ Blaq-Guilly on January 12th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Wow!! I just found out that the footage you all were going to show for GOW3 has now been canceled for Jan 18th. Please say this is not true. I, like many people, have been waiting to see what you and the rest of the press saw back in December. Everybody is saying that the footage that was shown looks awesome and you even said that we would see it this month as well as many other sites. I guess my real question if not now then when? When are we going to see the game in motion? I think that we deserve something more than just screen shots and interviews with no footage shown. If what I heard is true then I pray that you all will change your minds. Please let us see what everyone has been talking about. -A true fan

+ Azure-Edge on January 12th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Very fun Beta, it was a very different experience so well done Zipper. Not gonna pre-order but I will have my ear to the ground about the full version and will most likely pic it up once it’s out.

+ Cat_Corye on January 12th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

What?!? No Raven shirt?

+ goose_7 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

M.A.G. is nearing release and i just have one question. This being a multiplayer only game will it be bundled with Sony’s Official Bluetooth Headset? i assume it will considering Warhawk and Socom: Confrontation were bundled with headsets, but i’d like confirmation.

+ Apple_Taco on January 12th, 2010 at 12:45 pm said:

I really love this game, good job Zipper :D

+ SPJammer on January 12th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

I want a Valor Shirt!!! How can I get one to????

+ SPJammer on January 12th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

Oh and I can’t forget the hat. I want them both

+ MiChAeL6 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

This game doesn’t come with a headset right? It seems to pricey ($60 Canadian)

+ inspace2020 on January 12th, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

Love this game…the Beta actually changed my mind. I’m definitely picking it up! My first couple experiences I wasn’t into it, but after I learned how to play MAG, I begin to really enjoy myself. Good job guys/gals…oh yeah…ZERO LAG!!

+ Shadowtroop1 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

I was just wondering if there will be new unlockables when i play the full version of MAG? great game

+ AToastedGoldfish on January 12th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

This game blows MW2 out of the water, no competition, no question.
I can’t go back no matter how much I try.
Thank you M.A.G. dev team for ruining MW2 and its shallow multiplayer for me…

P.S.
Will you be selling the PMC shirts?

VALOR FTW!

+ hehe1 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

hey i have to say the 32 vs 32 is boring… but once we start to play 128 vs 128 it is a lot of fun but i dislike how u guys made it that u have to play 64 first get to level 10 then u can play 256 but the game itself is awesome if u guys could polish the game a bit more i could consider purchasing this…

For some reason i can’t log into MAG right now…

+ Gooddaysfall on January 12th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

Plz give us the New God of War 3 trailer on Jan 18th!

+ WrekGar on January 12th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

MAG will be a HIT!! I forgot to ask at the meetup will it be package with a headset? I got a few people that are kinda on the fence about an online only game for $60.

Had a great time in Vegas will definitely be there at GDC!!! Just call me the BLOG STALKER from NY… LOL

+ Mighty-LordNes on January 12th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Zipper, I and judging by a lot of comments here and the rest of the blogs, a lot of testers have been asking a few questions unanswered. Can you make the groups bigger? Clans average 20 members +. How can we all fit into the same games with an 8 player group? I for one don’t wanna leave my clan members behind because of it.

And the other question is: THE HEADSET! Is very annoying when a lot of people are playing without one. Can you re-consider the headsets? There is no way this type of game can be played without comunication. And if there is, it is a very retarded experience without teamwork!

+ Camoi1 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

I WANT A RAVEN T SHIRT!

+ Mighty-LordNes on January 12th, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

P.S. I have been to most betas and blogs about this game, and I’m loving it. But those are 2 questions I have not yet seen answered.

+ FPlus on January 12th, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Hey Jeff?

Aren’t we suppose to see your Exclusive Hidden Interview about GOD OF WAR 3 that you guys weren’t allowed to show until… 2010?

+ kujhawks84 on January 12th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

I have played the Beta and Mag is worth the 60 bucks. soooooooooooo excited for the 26th!

+ saiyanknight87 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

I hope they fixed some issues from this previous beta there were a lot of games that were cut due to server issues for the most part, i really hope this doesn’t come off as bad as socom did. and with the game being gold i think that it may be too late for those fixed to be implemented i dunno we’ll see and i also hope it doesn’t have that dreadful download time for the final game it took me an over all 12 hours for the very first update of the game and i’m running a DSL connection.

+ gmoney0505 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

Will this game be $60 or $40 game? Will it be packed with a mic cause there are so many people that were on the beta without a mic and it makes it really difficult to strategically plan out a game if people do not have mics.

+ Wollan on January 12th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

“Blu-ray disc only – the download would be staggeringly huge!”

I can’t possibly understand why, it’s just level data in this game more or less, no low bitrate CG or larger language packs or radio stations…etc. You take a MMO with high graphics fidelity like Age of Conan on PC and you get a 20GB install, that title has the areal of all the Mag levels x 100, voiced quests and a full orchestra soundtrack. Unless we have different parameters for staggeringly huge. Siren was perfectly doable at 10GB and that was a twelve hour singleplayer game.

+ angelspawn77 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

I was at this event, im wearing my s.v.e.r shirt right now. Im also one of the people getting this game for free, cant wait to get it. I met the devs of the game as well a u jeff, great talking to the people there.

+ xiked on January 12th, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

bETA OF maG WAS GREAT, i HOPE THE SOUND OF THE GUNS GET BETTER!

BTW: I copied a text from this blog to spread the word, that I want to see GOW3 footage the 18th!

+ footballrule on January 12th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

Oh man i can’t wait. I’ve been in the beta since day one. Loved it so much. Glad i got to help beta test and report bugs. It’s so smooth, no lag as they said. This will be a high selling a game! :D

See you all January 26th!

+ vr6GOLFr32 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

Definitely picking this up from day 1. In the video I couldn’t stop looking at the tv in background to see if I could spot some things that we haven’t been shown in the betas lol. The game seems look a lot more polished from what I can tell so I’m definitely stoked to see everything the game has to offer on the 26th!

+ CapinChronic on January 12th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

OMG!!!! I need one of those S.V.E.R. shirts!!!! BAD!!!!

+ CapinChronic on January 12th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

Will we be getting M.A.G shwag in the PS Store?.eg. Dynamic themes for each faction/Premium Avatars?? Thanks Jeff

+ Elsa on January 12th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

Would LOVE to be in the tournament… but once again you’ve chosen a tourney provider that doesn’t allow Canadians to play.

Some of your tourneys (Resistance Retribution) do allow Canadians, so it is very obviously possible… but you need to work on ensuring that Canadians are allowed in ALL your tourneys!

(to be honest, I would just love to play… it doesn’t even matter if Canadians are eligible to win the prizes, just let us in the tourney without having to resort to “borrowing” an American address and info).

+ Chapulin140 on January 12th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Woot cant wait!!

+ VanilaGorila-x- on January 12th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

Lets hope the gun issues are fixed on release.

As it stands now it takes WAY to many bullets to kill someone. I want the hit detection from the Closed Beta, it was perfect before all the noobs started crying about weapon imbalance.

Peace,
VG

+ SteveLV702 on January 12th, 2010 at 4:04 pm said:

thanks for the fabulous event enjoyed it especially the open bar :) and thanks for the signed shirts.

+ lSINGHl on January 12th, 2010 at 4:24 pm said:

I enjoyed playing this. better than socom just because it isn’t as hard as socom. the guns in socom have to much recoil. i will get this game some day.

+ Ncyphe on January 12th, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

What’s freaky is that when the Penny Arcade Expo was going on, I ended up on a squad with Ben Jones and didn’t know who he was until I visited the beta forums afterward . . .

I was rather embarrassed with myself after coming to this fact.

Can’t wait for the game to hit shelves, though.

+ IDNissa on January 12th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Hello guys

Will it be possible to remove some part of the HUD or move them (especially the squade square in the right corner of the screen) in the final game?
Because on my TV (SDTV) i can’t see my weapon because of that square and that will be a shame if i can’t buy MAG just because of that.

Thanks.

+ D-Squad3 on January 12th, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

Bundle is with a mic, oh and watch my fan made trailer on youtube. “MAG Launch Trailer”

+ Sponge-worthy on January 12th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

If I still have the beta installed, will I have to re-download the game for the IGN tournament?

+ NEJI64 on January 12th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said: