PS4 - Destiny

Mark Cerny: Hall of Fame Game Developer

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Jan 13, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

I wanted to take a brief moment and draw your attention to one of the industry’s most prolific pioneers who has had a tremendous impact on the past, present and future of PlayStation.

You’re all familiar with the names and accomplishments of such Sony Computer Entertainment visionaries as Ken Kutaragi and Shuhei Yoshida. Today, Academy of Interactive Arts and Science announced it will be honoring another influential game designer, producer, and programmer with a tremendous influence on PlayStation. Mark Cerny of Cerny Games is going to be the inducted as the 13th member of the AIAS Hall of Fame in Las Vegas next month.

Mark Cerny

Just take a look at some of the titles and franchises you have all played that Mark was instrumental in supporting over the years… from Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, and Spyro the Dragon to Resistance, Ratchet & Clank, and Uncharted. Mark’s profound contributions to the industry and to SCE have helped shape the games and entertainment experiences that we’ve all spent countless hours with, so congratulations to Mark for this well deserved honor.

For more details on Mark Cerny’s induction into the Hall of Fame of The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences, including quotes from Naughty Dog’s Evan Wells, click here.

31 Comments

+ mafecto on January 13th, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

I’ve been hearing Mark’s name since the Atari days, but had no idea some of the other things he worked on. Congrats!Also, Marble Madness was so freaking awesome for it’s time.

+ Anubis80 on January 13th, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Congrats Mark. Keep making great games!

+ BlooodyCow on January 13th, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

Congrats Mark and talks for being part of the games that gave me countless hours of enjoyment.

+ lostinplainsight on January 13th, 2010 at 4:17 pm said:

congratulations Mark and thanks for helping make some of my favorite games on any console

+ Ashenshugura on January 13th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

Oh man, congratulations Mark.
FYI my 5 y/o son has been playing Crash/spyro/Ratchet since the day he was born. As of this very moment he is playing Crash 2. (He has already beaten Crash 1)

Thanks for the timeless entertainment that I grew up playing and am very proud to see my son also enjoying those great games.

p.s. He also throws down on Resistance with me every now and again.

+ LILBUDDY2000 on January 13th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

Congrats Mark! Well deserved.

+ AznSniper on January 13th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

Congratulations Mark. Hope you continue on with your legacy at Sony with future titles.

+ LikeTheWind666 on January 13th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

Hats off. Congrats! I like the Mark era.

+ dotCody on January 13th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Never heard of him. :/

+ c45j on January 13th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

oiy, increase the FOV in killzone 2. its too narrow.

+ SyphonFilter- on January 13th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

Congrats,i love those franchises.

+ TubaDude49 on January 13th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

Great Job Man!

+ Ztnepres on January 13th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Congratz Mark! I want to see Mark work with Jenova Chen and Kellee Santiago from Thatgamecompany. I bet Mark’s experience with TGC’s flesh blood and innovation as seen from cloud,flow, and flower will create a masterpiece

+ mcbuttz78 on January 13th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Bout freeakinf time, he get in!! he should have been in when he make spyro games… This guy deserves this more than anyone.. Hats off.

+ Renan_Acid on January 13th, 2010 at 5:19 pm said:

You’re the man, Mark! Your games are simply the best! Congratulations! =D

+ Dehshizknight on January 13th, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

Pretty freaken sweet! Now he’s joining Ted Price in the AIAS board which is pretty prestigious if you ask me.

Plus this dude drives a Ferarri! :P

+ TakiFuGu on January 13th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

I bow to you sir! You deserve this recognition.

+ NEJI64 on January 13th, 2010 at 5:49 pm said:

aight Mark keep doing yea thang, i own or owned all those titles.

+ poweredbyzen on January 13th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

thanks for representing the fanboys, mark!

+ TheGuardianFID on January 13th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

Congrats Mark!!! :D

+ TSFRJ on January 13th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

congradulations

+ Blkant on January 13th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

Never heard of him, but he certainly has had his hands in a good number of my favorite games. Congrats to him, and I look forward to seeing his work in many more games to come :)

+ CDubyahS on January 13th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

Congratulations.

Jak and Daxtar for PS2 were treasures and so was Uncharted for Ps3. You helped SONY achieve market dominance. I am a 41 year old adult. Your games aren’t just for kids….God Bless your creativity!

+ spunnups on January 13th, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

Congrats, what an honor

+ Armstrong on January 13th, 2010 at 10:53 pm said:

Congratulations Mark! Well deserved.

+ Omega932000 on January 14th, 2010 at 12:40 am said:

Congratulations Mark!

+ Demonized on January 14th, 2010 at 12:43 am said:

A well deserved induction.

Congratulations to you Mark and thank you so much for your work because some of those games are dear favourites of mine and some that I grew up playing.

+ Fersis on January 14th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

I really admire him, everyone on the gaming industry respects him.

+ PlatformPro on January 14th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

Mark’s quote concerning Spyro the Dragon from a 1998 Underground disc remains true to this day…”That’s some damn good code”.

+ igor26igor on January 14th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

Guys I have a question: I know that ps2 is popular.I have slim version.Read one article that ps2 sells well even now.Is it possible that Sony will release in the near future Playstation 2 with HDMI audio-video output, that we would not be confused with a choice of all these VGA-boxes and Component cables. Because composite not good enough.I would buy a second unit ps2 with HDMI.We all know that these component inputs we dont have in 90% of cases.Can you imagine yourself on the back of playstation 2 is HDMI output, also is the chip inside that converts all to progressive scan, and if you want, you can manually select 480p or 576p.I think would be cool. Especially if to consider, that at Sony authorities know, that ps2 is popular console, so why not make it even more popular this way?

+ onmode_dash_ky on January 14th, 2010 at 8:25 pm said:

Congratulations to Mark! I first heard of him as the creator of Marble Madness, one of my favorite arcade games (best I’ve ever done was reaching the fourth level, a few months ago, and yes, I was playing on an arcade cabinet with a trackball). I saw that he had worked on a lot of highly-rated titles and wondered why his name seemed “underground” on the Web, obscure in comparison to the various industry darlings. Well, I guess people do recognize his contributions. Well deserved!