PS4 - Destiny

SCEA Teams Up With IGN For Haiti Charity Event

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 27, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

We have watched in horror and sorrow as the events in Haiti have unfolded over the past few weeks. As millions are suffering through conditions unimaginable to us, it’s kind of hard to know how to even begin to help. Last week, IGN came to us with an idea that gamers could get behind – a videogame internet telethon. Starting at 9am Pacific, the IGN crew will be broadcasting live for 12 hours, and taking donations for Habitat for Humanity. You can also watch it right here if you so choose:

Here at SCEA, we contributed a number of rare, collectable items to the cause, including a bad-ass Ratchet vinyl figure set, a signed God of War Collection and Guide, a signed Infamous Bundle, and the ever popular (and rare) UNCHARTED 2 Fortune Hunter’s Edition.

Even if you don’t win any of those items, you can always bid on “Hayden Panettiere’s autographed bed sheets.” Seriously. It’s for a good cause!

Check out the IGN for Haiti info page to find out more, or donate now. Let it never be said that we gamers don’t look up from their monitors to take note of the world around us. Help us help IGN make a difference.

30 Comments

+ Cesarcsrf on January 27th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

nice

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on January 27th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

good job ign and scea good job for doing this event for the ppl in haiti

+ lbmanuel1 on January 27th, 2010 at 8:39 am said:

Hey Jeff. I’ve been having some problems being able to watch your embedded videos. I can only watch them if I have my mouse pointer over the videos. It’s only started recently. For about the past two weeks. I use Firefox.

+ almighty-slayer on January 27th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

I’ll watch but i’m not donating anything

+ Enigma777 on January 27th, 2010 at 8:57 am said:

I bid one one of the KZ2 posters… I want it!!!

Thanks for donating all that stuff SCEA!

+ lonewolf1994 on January 27th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

you people pwn!

+ TailsTheCat on January 27th, 2010 at 9:05 am said:

They dont act like people.

+ BlooodyCow on January 27th, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

Hay Jeff, you said that there will be more WKC and God of War 3 blog post this week. What keep you guys from posting those two blog post?

+ BlooodyCow on January 27th, 2010 at 9:37 am said:

Hay Jeff, why is the commenting disable on the AC2 post above?

+ Trieloth on January 27th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

lol, IGN…really? Even after all the PS3 bashing that they did?

+ SyphonFilter- on January 27th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

@10- the playstation team at ign likes PS3.

+ evildude683 on January 27th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Enough with the haiti stuff already, I hope I’m not the only ones tired

+ DZORMAGEN on January 27th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

Jessica Chobot @ IGN is so HOT!!

+ ExcelKnight on January 27th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

@3- Disable adblock plus for the PS Blog.

Thanks for doing this, guys. Haiti really needs all the help they can get.

+ Thrasher20 on January 27th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

Nice job

+ KwietStorm on January 27th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

It is truly sad and depressing that people of the same human race can just not care. Pathetic and disgustng.

+ BigBoss712 on January 27th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

That’s a nice thing you guys are doing.

+ CapinChronic on January 27th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

GREG MILLER FTW!!!! SING STAR GOD!!!! LOL

+ lbmanuel1 on January 27th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

@14 – Oh wow how did you know…. Thanks I didn’t even know what it was.

+ allblu on January 27th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

really going to try for the Helghast LMG or the infamous bundle. a worthy cause is a great excuse to spend way too much for something i don’t need but def want.

thanks for the heads up guys.

+ TwinDad on January 27th, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

This is very thoughtful and caring thing for SCEA to do. I applaud SCEA for sharing.

+ Remick on January 27th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

@16 If you really want to talk about the apathy of people towards those suffering from a natural disaster, let’s talk Hurricane Katrina. I’ve been down to Mississippi nearly every summer since the storm hit, and although I’ve seen improvement, the area is still heavily in need of aid. And that aid has largely trickled off as people moved on to the more current stories.

I’m not trying to belittle what happened in Haiti, it was a tragedy that country will probably never recover from. And I do applaud IGN and SCEA for doing what they can to help. But my problem with events like this is they seem superficial. It’s a chance to further our own materialistic conquests while we pretend to care, by claiming it’s for a good cause. When we all know a year from now none of us are going to care about Haiti, just like we don’t about Hurricane Katrina anymore. It’s not the natural disaster of the moment.

+ sscoolChea on January 27th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

@ 22

I feel for the people in Haiti . But man USA needs more help than anything . How about helping the families and Children here in the freakin US. I don’t see freakin Clooney doing a telethon for them . I don’t see anyone donating any money to the tsunami victims in Asia .

+ thewildonev1 on January 27th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

This is awesome of both IGN and Sony to do. Really awesome.

+ MaceWisdom on January 27th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Muy Bien!

+ KILLZONE79 on January 27th, 2010 at 7:53 pm said:

@ 12

i agree with you im sick and tired of hearing haiti stuff my god, they already did a telethon on TV not that while ago and thats good enough.

+ backbreaker1981 on January 27th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

@12 & 26

Then turn the channel if your sick of it. I’m sure you would look around for help if you lost everything.

+ Azure_FZ on January 28th, 2010 at 1:38 am said:

It’s a shame people never care until it’s them, human beings have and always will disgust me.

Anyway I’ll help anyway I can. Even if it’s just as simple as buying a PSN or PS3 game.

+ TakiFuGu on January 28th, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

Very cool stuff!

+ HanSoo417 on January 30th, 2010 at 8:16 pm said:

glad to see people reaching out.