PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

MLB 10: The Show – Online Season Leagues

Jason Villa's Avatar + Posted by Jason Villa on Feb 02, 2010 // Producer, MLB 10 THE SHOW

Hey there Baseball fans,

In this post I’ll be describing the details of the all-new and revamped Online Season League system for MLB 10: The Show. Forget what you knew about SportsConnect leagues last year, and please continue reading…

Our goal coming into this year was to give online users the same season experience online as they’ve come to expect in the offline season mode. However, there are still the Online League specific features, like creating a Draft or Non-Draft league. The draft still allows for 6-30 teams, with some audio queues for “your turn” and “countdown.” A few new Create League settings: Custom Sliders, Presentation Mode, Umpire Balls and Strikes, Ejections, Home Run Celebration.

MLB10Blog_OnlineLeagues1

We are again providing you with all online user stats and leaderboards, but the huge change this year is the addition of all player stats for your full 40-man roster. You will get access to the full “Around the League” screens, including Playoff Brackets, Standings, Statistics, Team Rankings, League Leaders and Awards. Just to relay the amount of data available in Online Leagues, we are potentially talking about 30 teams, with 40 players, each with 70+ stats!

MLB10Blog_OnlineLeagues2

Beyond stats, we are including the pieces, essential to effectively managing a team during a season: Team Management. Under Team Management you can set your lineup, defensive positioning, pitching rotation and more. One of the keys to making a season mode realistic is the concept of Energy and managing your team with energy considered. This year, you won’t be able to use your ace for every game, over and over. If you overuse your players, your attributes will take a hit, and you run the risk of injury. This is a great segue to our next set of additions…

Injuries, disabled list, trades and free agents are all now a part of Online Season Leagues. Unfortunately, injuries are a part of the game. Just like in the big leagues, you’ll have to deal with injuries. Luckily there is the addition of the free agent pool and a 40-man roster to help you manage. You can now perform trades online. Trades can be 1 for 1, 2 for 1, 3 for 1, etc. There is a league voting system, so don’t think you’re going to get away with trading a scrub for an ace.

MLB10Blog_OnlineLeagues3

Now this is still an online league, so there are league management tools available that you wouldn’t need in an offline league. First, you can drop a user from your league. New to this year, you can also replace that user with another from the Invite Player screen. This is something that really helps a commissioner keep quality players in a league and ultimately the league progressing nicely. Another league management change is that any user, commissioner or league member can abandon or quite a league at anytime. This used to only be available while a league was in the forming stage. Now, you can quite while in season.

There are a few new additions and changes I wanted to rattle off:

• Additional Commissioner Slot (6 total leagues now)
  • NEW Auto-resolve feature. Set to On/Off when creating a league and helps keep leagues progressing
  • Ability to Drop and Replace players within an In-progress league
  • Apply a Custom Slider to a league
  • League Invitation system upgrade
  • New My Complete Leagues list, showing a summary of all completed leagues, the winner and playoff participants
  • New League Round-up and League History tabs in Gamer Card
  • More emails and communication on league changes
  • Players Needing Leagues upgrade. Commissioner can now send invites directly from that screen
  • Additional information about users for a commissioner resolving a game
  • Quit a league at any time (commissioner or league member). No more being held hostage

We look forward to seeing a ton of leagues created and played to completion.

PAGE 1 2

+ KinG-SwifT on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

hey why does the ps3 version not have the create a player with the eyetoy? i thought this was a GREAT feature it made my dreams of being in the majors a reality. PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE TO THE NEW GAME

+ Ftwrthtx on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

Will we ever be able to share game saves between the PS3 and PSP so we can literally take our show on the road?

Start a season on your PS3, then export that season to the PSP for when you are away from home and then export it back to the PS3 when you get back home.

Sound good?

+ Train1999 on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

I’m looking forward to this game. Hopefully the online games will be better this season compared to seasons past. March 2nd can’t come soon enough.

Train

+ acerazer1 on February 2nd, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

can’t freakin wait

+ beau21 on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Will the demo for MLB 10 be released this week? Or will it be next week? Or even later?

+ beatintoddallday on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:15 pm said:

Did you all do anything to improve the mic online? I hope you all put a graphic indicator on the screen that shows if the other guys mic is on or off. If you could comment on the mic I would appreciate it. Thanks.

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

We did add the Mic Icons!

+ neo881 on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

Please no Online leauge Trophies

+ jqtaxpayer on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

I’d like to hear about shorter load times for RTTS mode. The other thing is that every time I start up MLB 09 The Show, I need to reload my profile, settings, sliders and, if applicable, rosters… my suggestion, for what it’s worth, is that future iterations of The Show should auto-load the last of those to be loaded, or you should at least be able to set defaults to be loaded each time. It’s obnoxious to have to load 3 or 4 separate files every time you boot up the game.

Better in-game tutorials would also be helpful for the series — as a newcomer, I found MLB 09 to be extremely overwhelming. Once you get over the learning curve, this is the most satisfying video game baseball experience out there, but a great many may initially find it too intimidating to discover that.

+ famousmortimer on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

Will there be CPU controlled teams in the online league or just player controlled games?

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Not this year, but you can drop and replace users while the league is in season.

+ GCubz06 on February 2nd, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Great info about online leagues! This might replace fantasy baseball… One question about OFFLINE leagues, though. When playing through a single player franchise, will the CPU controlled teams be active in trading, waiver wire action, etc… ? Can’t wait for March!

+ INTVGene on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:01 pm said:

Ya. Lose the online league trophies.. they’re brutal unless you cheat.

+ darth_stryfe on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

WOW! I can’t wait! I’m getting this as soon as it comes out!

Add me on PSN: darth_stryfe

I’ll definitely be looking for a league when this comes out.

+ ahr19 on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

Is there progression in the Online Leagues?

Can Leagues go on for more than one season?

Thanks for the updates so far.

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 7:44 pm said:

We do let you play up to 160+ games a season. Multiple leagues is on the list though!

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 7:44 pm said:

Should have read, Multiple seasons.

+ HAWK531 on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

WHEN IS THE DEMO RELEASING on PSN!!?? its been bugging me :P i really need to know to keep my sanity ….

+ beatintoddallday on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

I hope the Sounds of Show blog is soon. I need time to get my music together before the game comes out.

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

It sure is. Expect it around 2/15.

+ beatintoddallday on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:26 pm said:

Thanks for answering my question about the mic by the way.

+ HAWK531 on February 2nd, 2010 at 5:30 pm said:

Jason Villa i hope your still online to answer my question… lol

+ Oakridge on February 2nd, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

Mlb 10 the show ? but not about the Online Season League.

Why isn’t Roberto Clemente in as one of the hall of fame players?

When is the demo coming out?

Love the show can’t wait for day one.

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

The reason Robert isn\’t in the game is simply licensing. I don\’t want to go into details, but if we could easily include him, we would. We do hope to grow the list in future releases. I\’m a fan of his too.

Demo date has yet to be determined. If I knew the date, I would definitely let you know. Thanks for tuning into our blogs and being a fan!

+ nathan118 on February 2nd, 2010 at 6:57 pm said:

I’ve been burned too many times hoping the online works better. I’ll wait this one out.

+ Baseballplayer50 on February 2nd, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

You guys do a terrific job with the game. Anyways, I have a question to ask.
When will the demo come out?
That’s all i need to know but furthermore keep up the tremendous work ethic you guys have, you’re doing great!

+ beatintoddallday on February 2nd, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

Anyway you can make the sounds of show blog sooner than 2/15? I think it’s the one that’s most dependent on being posted before the game’s released so again like I said we can get our music together.

+ TheHerp80 on February 2nd, 2010 at 8:22 pm said:

Re: CPU Controlled Teams. What was the biggest reason why this isn’t available? So many people seemed interested in creating a real representation of an MLB season without having to fill the league with all User controlled players.

Thanks for keeping us posted!

+ TheGameV30 on February 2nd, 2010 at 9:16 pm said:

very quick question (non-online related sorry), was just wondering if Papelbon’s delivery was finally fixed??? since he hasn’t pitched from the windup since becoming a closer. thanks! can’t wait!

+ Jason Villa on February 2nd, 2010 at 10:20 pm said:

Papelbon has been fixed!

+ MatrixTN on February 2nd, 2010 at 11:35 pm said:

Regarding SotS info, how the crock is ~2 weeks considered soon?

+ MusicMan9909 on February 2nd, 2010 at 11:55 pm said:

I agree with the other guys, how is 2/15 considered soon for the Sounds of Show blog? I think it was annouced a week or 2 ago that their would be a sounds of show blog. So, 2 week does not seem soon. Hope you realize that the game will be out in 2 more weeks after that. I know you usally only post 1 blog a week, but last week you posted 2 blogs. If you can’t post it this week, can you please post it as the blog for next week? We would love to use the sounds of show feature to its full potentional on release day. So, if you could post the blog any sooner so it would give us time to know what songs to get together, that would be great.

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

I\’ll see what I can do to bump it up, but cut us some slack guys, we\’re working on getting a polished game out the door! :-)

+ Oakridge on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:08 am said:

Can I get an email address so i can email someone that will answer my ?

+ TheGameV30 on February 3rd, 2010 at 5:37 am said:

thanks for answering my question!

+ G-Bugle on February 3rd, 2010 at 7:06 am said:

Another quick question…

Has the bug that made online Hit & Run impossible been fixed?

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

We\’ve been hitting and running all year. You should have not problems.

+ RuthlessEd on February 3rd, 2010 at 7:41 am said:

#25 & #26:

Are you kids on Ritalin?

Two weeks isn’t a very long time to wait for something.

Cripes, this generation of “Gimme Now” brats…

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

Thanks for the support RuthlessEd. :-)

+ Tmw204 on February 3rd, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

This Is Very Nice. It Would Be Nice If You Could Take Your Road To The Shower Player Online And Add Him Too Your League Team.

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Oh, you think like us. We\’re not far from that.

+ nemesis04 on February 3rd, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

Hi Jason,

I have two questions I was wondering if you could help me with?

1-Does the commissioner have the ability to reset a game that had a dropped connection?

2-Do we have the option to set a series length for playoffs, IE. best of 5 or 7? In the past it was just a one game playoff series.

Thank You!

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

1 – We had it on the list and become a bit complicated towards the end. I would love to say yes, but it\’s not an option this year.

2 – Series length in Playoffs will follow the format during the regular season. So you have a choice of 1,3 or 5.

Thanks for the questions.

+ G-Bugle on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:24 am said:

“We’ve been hitting and running all year. You should have not problems.”

Just to be clear, you have done this in “online” play? Because in 09, you could hit&run in offline play, but not online play.

In online play, the player could not hit the ball (except a bunt I think) if the runner was stealing.

I appreciate the information Jason. It was my one big complaint with 09. Otherwise, it is the best baseball game I have ever seen, and I am glad to see you are improving it!

+ KinG-SwifT on February 3rd, 2010 at 10:25 am said:

hey can one you guys PLEASE answer my question!!!! are they ever going to add the create a player with eye toy for the ps3 version. ps2 has it but not ps3 explain.

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

We have one of the most detailed and robust create player system around. I agree, the Eye for ps3 would make it pretty easy to add yourself in the game. MLB 10 no, 11 hope so.

+ Owen-22 on February 3rd, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

But what about minor league play?? You can’t have a complete baseball game until you have AAA, AA, and A!

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I suppose you\’re talking about in the online area, because the Offline season modes have had Triple and Double A for years. New to this year you will have to manage Single A at some capacity.

For online, you have a 40 man roster. Minor league management will be in the future for online leagues, but not MLB 10 Online. This is just year one of full player stat tracking.

+ JukeboxAddict on February 3rd, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

This might not be a question you get often, but have you folks ever considered a Playoffs/World Series mode without going through a season? If for nothing else, the more amped up atmosphere? Louder crowd that’s much more into each game, more emotional reactions from the players, etc. I suppose it’s not hard to sim through a season to do this, but I remember some older baseball titles including it.

+ backbreaker65 on February 3rd, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

When do we get a trailer or game play clip. Screen shots are fine and all but sports games have to be seen in motion.

+ SA12 on February 3rd, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

Can you use the classic stadiums online if both players have them?

+ Jason Villa on February 3rd, 2010 at 3:28 pm said:

The way it\’s going to work is, if the host (the user who gets to choose the stadium on the way into game) has them unlocked, then you can enter into an online game with the Classics.

+ SA12 on February 3rd, 2010 at 3:36 pm said:

Any word on if the mic activation button has been remapped?

+ CHEO_85 on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

Dear jason villa/scea san diego team.

no question just wanted to congratulate you guys on doing a great job on the mlb the show franchise on behalf of all the fans mlb the show has here in the dominican republic thanx an cant wait till release date…

+ ANGELSFAN13 on February 3rd, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

Hey Jason

i have a question, it isnt related to online, but i’m wondering, when will there be a blog (if any) about player customization? because i saw a few pictures of Albert Pujols in the game and he had a black glove with red webbing, and i just wanted to know if we could customize the web and base color of the glove (kinda like 2k7 and 2k8), but yeah, i love the show, best baseball game ever made, and continues to out-do itself every year, great work :D

+ TheGameV30 on February 3rd, 2010 at 8:13 pm said:

you guys are awesome and i love how u take the time to answer all the questions u do/can. i’m very excited about this game!

+ PBT2009 on February 4th, 2010 at 6:24 am said:

I would love to play this game online but every time I would play someone online there was such a delay.. The Pitcher would be glitchy, and I would swing but the ball would be in the catchers glove..

+ Reys813Fan on February 4th, 2010 at 9:38 am said:

Hey Jason, I’m hoping you can answer my question. It’s relevant to the last MLB ’10 post though. It was announced you can preorder the stadiums or you can unlock them by “platinum status” aka getting the platinum trophy. ’09′s platinum was very hard (however i’m one of the handful people to platinum it, according to ps3tropyguide.com)Now for my question… Will MLB 10 be looking at an equally equlivant trophy list, easier, or harder? I don’t mind in anyway (as I’m determined to get it) Also will we be seeing a trophy list soon?

Thanks in advance (if you answer :P)

+ mossthefreak81 on February 4th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

hey this isnt about the online league i was just wondering if the cocacola corner pavillion seating was added to fenway park along with the left field roof boxes?

+ ICYUNV on February 5th, 2010 at 8:24 am said:

Check swing worked very little(online) and worked very well offline,Is the check swing going to work a lot better online this year?

+ G-Bugle on February 5th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

Also, is Anti-Aliasing going to be turned on for online play this year? Jaggies for the suck!

+ Tmw204 on February 5th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

( To Jason Villa ) . Yeah I Been Playing The Show Since MLB 06 The Show. I Have Every One Of Them Till 09. And Already Pre-Order 10. And Yeah I Hope Ya Could Make That Happen , Road To The Show Online Player. Road To The Show Is The Best Thing The Game Has.

+ crimsonstorm85 on February 5th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

do you have to wait 14 days to become a commissioner and all? I hope not. Very annoying.

+ AndyMP on February 6th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

I love MLB The Show so much that I feel like I’m being real picky by saying this but I was really hoping to see an MLB Network style of menu/stat screen presentation this year. And for the weekly wrap format, moving away from that newspaper block and coming up with something totally new using, maybe, images captured in-game (like other sports games have done). Weekly highlights… stuff like that ? The games themselves have real nice presentation but outside of the games, it really lacks an immersive presentational format.

PAGE 1 2