PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

MLB 10: The Show – Real Time Presentation Mode

Clayton Read's Avatar + Posted by Clayton Read on Feb 10, 2010 // Associate Producer, MLB 11 The Show

Dear sports fans,

In a continued effort to blur the lines between a video game and a televised broadcast, MLB 10: The Show is proud to introduce the brand new presentation mode: Real Time. Available with replays or without, Real Time is a new presentation mode designed to further enhance the realism our baseball simulation offers you, the baseball fan.

Hoping to have you question whether you’re playing MLB 10: The Show or watching a live baseball game on TV, we’ve captured hundreds of new animations and have done extensive work with both our AI and our cameras. From the pitcher toeing the rubber until the next batter walks up to the dish, you’ll experience continuity with the seamless animations and positional intelligence of each player on and off the field. All new camera angles and cut-timing capture the player’s new movements and further enhance the presentation mode by mimicking the camera work seen on televised MLB broadcasts. Post-play has never looked this real.

In this Real Time presentations video, we’re off to brand new Target Field where Joe Mauer and his teammates are kind enough to help demonstrate what this new mode has to offer.

In the first highlighted play, Joe crushes a solo home run to right field. Using picture-in-picture technology, we show you both the Real Time presentation footage and footage captured with a production fly camera. Once the ball clears the right field fence and the play ends, the jumbotron flashes “Joe” and the Real Time cameras cut to the dugout (out of fly cam view) as they react to Joe’s solo shot. Next, the Real Time cameras cut to Joe as he nears second base and follow him using different camera angles, as new animations blend to let him round the bases in continuous fashion. One more thing to notice would be the defensive players maneuvering into an extreme right shift in preparation for the next batter, Jim Thome.

In the second highlighted play, Jake Fox rips a sharp grounder that Justin Morneau snares and flips to Matt Guerrier, covering first, for the out. As the play ends, the camera cuts to Fox as he jogs off the field. Notice Fox use avoidance to sidestep clear of Guerrier. The following shots show Morneau getting back into position, and then a field shot of the infield. One last thing I can mention would be the infielders throwing the ball around the infield and eventually, as you’ll see in the game, back to the pitcher.

So why did we add Real Time presentations to MLB 10: The Show? What’s the point? Well our goal is simple. We want Real Time presentations to give baseball fans a new and real way to view our game.

We really hope you enjoy Real Time presentations and everything else about MLB 10: The Show.

PAGE 1 2

+ beau21 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Nice blog!

This game just sounds better and better with each bit of info.

Any word on when we can expect a demo?

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

We\’re finishing up the demo now. No date yet, but soon.

+ marter1 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Cannot wait for this game. Really want the baseball season to begin. MLB 10 for sports game of the year.

+ EnigmaNemesis on February 10th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

The best sports series ever keeps getting better.

Kudos!

+ Kchow23 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:36 pm said:

Not interested in baseball, but you guys make a heck of a game… hope you could do the same for NBA too

+ backbreaker65 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

HELLZ YEAH!!!!

+ D4RkNIKON on February 10th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

I am so bad at these sport sims but I love baseball and those graphics were awesome. The real time camera was seriously amazing, that alone sold me.

+ Ftwrthtx on February 10th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

WOW!

Incredible lifelike graphics. Can’t wait for the release date.

+ ATOMS11 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Man! This looks amazing!

+ backbreaker65 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

make.believe is in full effect

+ RudeAnimat0r on February 10th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

Looking forward to getting into this, haven’t played a baseball game since MLB Power Pros for PS2, before that it’d have to be World Series Baseball ’98 for Saturn.

Have heard nothing but great things about The Show!

+ sscoolChea on February 10th, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

THE GREATEST SPORTS GAME IS BACK MACRH 3RD

I love what there doing with the online season this year . Full season stat tracking with trades and all is just ridiculous . Its already paid for and march can’t come soon enough .

the show and kratos march

+ DaWolf619 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this. 3 MORE WEEKS!!
Anything new on the PSP side of the house. How about syncing your RTTS Career between PS3 and PSP? I would really love that one.

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

That\’s exactly where we want to get, cross platform communication, but not this year.

+ Jeigh on February 10th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

It’s funny- from the video I’m seeing above, I wouldn’t think much of this game’s graphics, but, having seen trailers on Gametrailers.com I KNOW this looks amazing. From this, I can only conclude that either the video above itself is poor quality or the player being used is. Just saying.

My jaw practically dropped when I saw this game through GT. How the hell you guys don’t have unquestionable reign of the entire sports kingdom with these kinds of values is beyond me.

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

May have been answered by others, but click that little HD button on the video. It\’s a different experience.

+ kofilaate74 on February 10th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

Question for the guys at SCEA, with the cut scene presentation over the past few years I used to see players who had just reached base, whether it was a walk, single, double or triple, in the dugout.

Will real time presentation get rid of this unnecessary cloning? I hope I don’t see Adam Dunn in the dugout giving high fives to Ryan Zimmerman when he should be on 2nd after knocking Zimmerman in off of a double.

Other than that keep up the great work!!!!

BTW – When can we expect the demo? I was hoping this week since we’re snowed in here in the Baltimore/DC area.

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

You definitely shouldn\’t see duplicate players. See above for the demo answer, but not this weekend.

+ RandySore on February 10th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

Nice Jobs Guys. Hey, according to history you guys always release the Show Demo the second week of February or Im wrong? Any chances we can all see a The Show 10 demo tomorrow?

+ sscoolChea on February 10th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

S-I-M-P-L-Y

P-E-R-F-E-C-T-I-O-N

+ cmargary on February 10th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

You people make me a fan of baseball thanks to this game.

Off topic… Make the videos for iPhone in Youtube thanks. I’m always on the road

+ justin2mo on February 10th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Does anyone else believe this team should tray and tackle football (no pun intended)? I think they could blow Madden out of the water on the realism scale.

+ VenomXv on February 10th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

Damn that looks stunning. The most realistic baseball game I have ever seen.

+ OddyOh on February 10th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

Dear Sony…please make an NHL game…

+ backbreaker65 on February 10th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

@ #14 jeigh, hit the HD button to watch it in HD, looks much better.

+ Pedro_-_ on February 10th, 2010 at 5:44 pm said:

Man, I want this game more and more! I need a demo to last me till’ the game comes out.

+ CHEO_85 on February 10th, 2010 at 5:44 pm said:

Cant wait Only 20 More Days All Ready Pre Orderd Mine @Gamestop MLB 10 The Show TKO 2k10 in round one!!!!!

+ Motown81 on February 10th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

Anyone know when the Demo drops? thanks

+ LEOMODE on February 10th, 2010 at 5:50 pm said:

Hello Clayton, I really appreciate this great game!
However, I just have a few questions that I really wanted to know from MLB 09
1. When playing in a regular game for a season or franchise, I cannot see my players’ nor opponent players’ attributes at all. (no upper deck card) Therefore I cannot know which players have which stats and etc
2. Same situation in a game when I cannot see the pitchers’ fatigue. Because I play NL, it’s absolutely crucial to know my pitchers’ fatigue during he game.
3. When the outfielders already threw the ball to the infielder, you cannot cutoff during the middle. In Pro Yakyuu Spirits, there is an option where you can use the middle man to cutoff whenever I have to (such as a shortstop cutting the ball off)
4. Do default free agents still have the MLB hat on all the time despite trading him to a different team by me?
I was wondering if these 4 were implemented this time around. Please help me out. It’s an awesome game, thanks!

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Aaron Luke on February 11th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

1 & 2. You can view the attributes of the current pitcher and batter by hitting the select button any time prior to the pitch. You can also view the pitcher\’s current energy (fatigue) within this same screen. When going in to your bullpen, you can view select attributes of the batter\’s due up, as well as attributes of your pitchers.
    3. We don\’t currently have a function to cut a throw already in progress.
    4. Yes, default free agents appear in MLB hats at all times.

+ hush404 on February 10th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

I scratch my head as to how this is as awesome as it’s being presented… but I don’t care, I’ll still love the game when I pick it up.

+ DiscoJer on February 10th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

And yet you can’t even manage to put umpires in the PSP version…

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

I hear you, but we can\’t really compare the PSP capabilities to the PS3. We\’ve had to pick our battles and features on the PSP. Just the nature of the hand held realm, for now :-).

+ draconis15 on February 10th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

I know this isn’t the place but I would love too see a more modified batting stance selection mode for the create a player/RTTS character, such as not only picking stace but swing type and even better the Homerun cut scene such as being able to put any type of homerun celebration to anyones stance, this would also be nice to see what each player does during the homerun cut scene because I personally like to have a cool cut scene with my RTTS player but it takes forever to find a good one that is on a stance i like

+ NEJI64 on February 10th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

plz make a football game its time for EA’s Madden to have competition.

+ HatmanTc on February 10th, 2010 at 7:18 pm said:

Sony why must you rip the money directly out the wallet like you do..

@30 the return of Gameday or Gamebreaker would be pretty cool. i just hope the juke wouldn’t be as effective as it was in the last few gamebreaker games.

+ Israel1948 on February 10th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

When will you guys release the trophy information? Also, make virtual MLB items for PlayStation Home!

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

We plan to release some Trophy info in the next week or so.

And we are working on some PlayStation Home content.

+ Koneesha on February 10th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

Will this game have collision detection? It appears to have some form of it but i can’t tell.

+ HatmanTc on February 10th, 2010 at 8:40 pm said:

@32 for some reason i doubt we will being EA seems to be making all the sport themed items for HOME

+ B-Real206 on February 10th, 2010 at 9:45 pm said:

I wish you guys had the nfl license, I could only imagine what you folks could do…..probably blow madden right out of the water.

+ Returners on February 10th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

When demo?

+ Brapp347 on February 10th, 2010 at 11:23 pm said:

IS THIS EVEN A GAME??? WHOAA!

+ SchroederDISC on February 11th, 2010 at 12:05 am said:

Please confirm that the game demo will be out 2/11 or 2/12 i seem to check every hour and its driving me crazy… I love this game!!!

+ rodperezto on February 11th, 2010 at 2:35 am said:

*standing ovation*

+ waypoetic on February 11th, 2010 at 2:58 am said:

I’m not a sports-kind-of-guy, but that game really looks great And fun! Nice job guys.

+ KING_0F_NY_BX on February 11th, 2010 at 4:15 am said:

Wow for a minute I thought the game was being shown against a REAL game footage. Damn, excellent job guys. The Show is the best sports game period

+ UNCyrus on February 11th, 2010 at 4:39 am said:

Looks incredible guys! Let’s see the @TheKevinButler commercial for it now :)

+ tad_banyon on February 11th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

Man, I love this game. How much better can they make it? It looks amazing.

+ Sindred on February 11th, 2010 at 6:10 am said:

Jesus, I’m not even into baseball games and that looks amazing.

+ Wipeoutt31 on February 11th, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Good lord! It looks so real.

+ buggs1a on February 11th, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

Please let us play season franchise etc games in the classic stadiums. I want to have a classic stadium as my home team stadium in my franchise. And please make the game easier like MLB 07 the show. MLB 08 and 09 the show were way too hard. Also please let us have access to the hall of fame players to use in our franchise like in MLB 09 the show. We didn’t have to unlock them and the fame is much better this way.

Clayton Read's Avatar

+ Jason Villa on February 11th, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

The classic stadiums are able to be used in the season modes.

As far as making the game easier, we have 5 difficulty levels, Rookie to Legend. There has to be one that suits you!

The Old Timers are again unlocked for use.

+ scass319 on February 11th, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

Excellent video. This game looks amazing, day one purchase for me. As some others have asked, when can we be expecting a demo? If my memory serves me correctly, we got one around the 2nd week of Feb. last year..

+ quietstorm161 on February 11th, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

We need the demo…..when can we have it……

+ NINERS_FAN on February 11th, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

Hey,
I’ll post it again;
Are players on the DL still counting toward the 25 man roster? and will the 40 man rosters really expand in time to enable to players to be there for the playoffs? for some reason, last year it wouldn’t let me until a few days too later. i like the email system, a prompt about time to expand the roster would help make sure the players are play-off eligible.

+ sscoolChea on February 11th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

@ 31…OMG the juke button was always a touchdown . juke , juke , juke , juke Touchdown …..It wasn’t as bad as john elwys QB on the NES .. The reverse play where the running backs runs 60 mph everytime around the field until he wants to score .

PAGE 1 2