PS4-Watch_Dogs

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Feb 11, 2010 // President & CEO

Happy new year PlayStation Nation,

2009 was a great success for the PlayStation brand in a market that continues to be impacted by a down economy. I wanted to thank you for making this past year the best yet for the PS3.

According to NPD’s recent Top Global Markets report, PlayStation was the only company to see consumers in three territories (UK, US and Japan) spending 15% more on PS3 software in 2009 than they did in 2008 – this is while the category as a whole experienced a 9% decline in software sales. The PS3 was also the only console in the U.S. to see double-digit growth in sales this past quarter. December also marked the best sales month in the platform’s history, breaking one million hardware units and 7.3 million software units. We’re nowhere near slowing down in the new year as today’s NPD numbers show a 36% sales increase on PS3 hardware when compared to last January. This is truly remarkable given the tight inventory we’ve been experiencing as a result of high consumer demand since last Fall.

PS3G box left angle

Games like UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves are surpassing our lofty expectations as it outsold the franchise’s first PS3 game and is now closing in on three million copies sold worldwide. Over half a million of you have already chosen your allegiance in MAG, and have played over 270,000 games in the Shadow War.

We’ve also successfully established that we’re not just a disc-based powerhouse, but we’re also a digital powerhouse. PlayStation Network experienced huge growth last year, marking its best revenue month in December – a 155% increase in sales from the previous year. More than 40 million of you all over the world are coming to PlayStation Network to access multimedia content and to enhance your social gaming experiences.

It truly is a great time to be a PS3 owner as we have so much more in store this year. We’ve already come out of the gates with MAG, White Knight Chronicles, BioShock 2 and we have an onslaught of new IP and blockbuster games just around the corner with Heavy Rain, God of War III, and Final Fantasy XIII… not to mention the many other games we’re keeping up our sleeves. We’re also bringing groundbreaking technology to the masses with the launches of 3D gaming and the new motion controller later this year. We know both will open entirely new doors for you to enhance your gaming experiences and will provide new ways for you to think about interactive entertainment.

Thank you again for making PS3 your entertainment device of choice. We look forward to your continued excitement for the brand.

209 Comments

+ insomniacg13524 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

It’s been an honour sir. :)

+ Dragonzblaze on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

ps3 is godly ty for making sucn an amazing console multimedia machin it is epic cant wait wht this year and other years bring to the playstation universe

+ r-nice on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

More success in 2010.

+ Bris_Blade on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

Also awaiting more PSN services in Canada for the upcoming year! (like the video store) =)

+ robertmc8 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

Jack Tretton You get 5 gold stars in my book. :) Still waiting on Eye Pet and DC Online project games. Then PS3 will really rock. :)

+ lets-be_azn on February 11th, 2010 at 4:21 pm said:

I LOVE the ps3 since sept. but i decided to hunt for the 80 gb model. I LOVED SONY ever since i played crash bandicoot and final fantasy VII on the playstation and kingdom hearts, god of war, shadow of cloussus, and grand theft auto on ps2, uncharted 2, demon soul’s and mgs4. I would like to THANK YOU for such great times, and i can’t wait for motion controls

+ Butters360 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:22 pm said:

Jack, I’ve been a proud PlayStation owner since way back in since Sony first released the PlayStation and it has remained my console on choice. I want to thank you and all of Sony’s First Party Developers for CONSTANTLY delivering and for ushering in awesome new IP’s like UNCHARTED and Resistance and so forth. Now with Heavy Rain and God Of War III on the way, I’m just sitting back and enjoying the ride. Thank you again.

+ CeroDouble on February 11th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

Thank you Mr. Tretton for letting me enjoy this awesome console, PS3 dominated in quality games, but is 2010 the PS3 will eat 2009 for breakfast.

+ CrimsonFox13 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

Playstation keeps getting better and better! Hope you announce tons of stuff at E3! And don’t forget your hardcore fans when dealing with the motion controller, you know you can’t survive without us!

+ Microshock on February 11th, 2010 at 4:23 pm said:

No problem Mr. Jack! You are easily the best presenter at any E3 EVER. Love your voice.

Keep on doing what you’re doing, its excellent.

+ CitizenInsane27 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:25 pm said:

@Berzirk

Don’t comment if you don’t care dude. Simple as that. That’s like, an opinion or something.

+ AriesWarlock on February 11th, 2010 at 4:26 pm said:

I got my PS3 slim last year as well. Could you please bring back Echocrome to $5? I missed it that time.

+ CASTERTROY on February 11th, 2010 at 4:28 pm said:

Socom4 news would be nice, Im tired of the Socom Community getting left out to dry to much.

+ Blkant on February 11th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

And thank you for your continued support throughout these years :D

So then, care to tell us whats in store this 2010 :) Something big I’m hoping :)

+ blindrocket on February 11th, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

And it just keeps getting better.

+ Cxplorer_Qc_Can on February 11th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

Your welcome!

+ TRIX_BOL on February 11th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

Thank You SCE and Staff.
A side note, bring 3D gaming as soon as possible please… :-)

+ macateb on February 11th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

Amazing results – such as shame then that you’ve just gone and made a lot of essential core development staff redundant at Studio Liverpool (creators of WipEout, F1 and helped finish Killzone PS3).

It seems to me that when SCE WWS shout how well they are doing to the public, there’s always one of their development teams being shown the backdoor.

+ NEJI64 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

tell me were getting a FF XIII bundle.

+ Kodaime on February 11th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

Get more slims out!! My friend want to buy one and can’t get one anywhere.

+ Jocis on February 11th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

your thanks are welcome, but please, fix my Yellow Light of death. PS3 is the best console and I want all exclusives games of this quarter but no time and no money (specially no money)

+ Darth-Krayt on February 11th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

I love hearing Jack Tretton speak. And he apparently types the same way he talks, lol. Jack Tretton is to me, the Richard C Hoagland of the gaming community. And no, I don’t mean he has discovered countless examples of an ancient civilization on Mars, our moon, and throughout our solar system. I mean I can listen to the guy speak for hours on end.

I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us at E3 Mr. Tretton. I look forward to seeing you on stage there.

+ Alpha6UFS on February 11th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Thank you for making all of us proud and a great experience we always have with PS3, Mr. Tretton. Keep it up!! =)

+ Carl-G on February 11th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

NO – Thank You SONY for a Great 2009 ;)

+ MalcolmHB on February 11th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

You’re welcome, PlayStation is the best! :)

+ Sponge-worthy on February 11th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

Thank me twice Jack. I just handed your company a big pile of cash to fix a YLoD.

+ poweredbyzen on February 11th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

no, no, no – thank “you!”

+ looptheloop98 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

Just got a PS3 yesterday, and I’m so excited!!!

+ Heartless_Angel7 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

Your welcome Sir. I bought my PS3 once the price dropped last September and I currently have 10 great titles sitting on my shelf. How about adding the Philippines to the countries supported on the PSN?

+ DeforMAKulizer on February 11th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

Mr. Tretton i swear it is our honor have people like u, Mr. Hirai, & Mr. House overseeing all things PS!
I genuinely look forward E3 every year just see u going up on stage & making every single PS owner around the world happy & proud support ur system!!!
We need thank u for bestowing one of the best years in gaming on us in 2009, & topping it of in 2010!!!
Sir, we are thankful for ur hardwork & i would like thank every single individual whom might have contributed the success of the PS Nation Family, from Jeff, Chris, Jem, Grace,to Amy & Evan & the Naughty Dogs, Ted & James & the Insomniacs, Sucker Punch, Zipper, Dylan & QGames,Guerilla,David & Quantic Dreams, Level-5, Jaffe & Eat Sleep Play,Dylan & Lightbox Interactive, Alex & Media Molecule, ThatGameCompany, Rockstar & their PS love, Creat Studios/TikGames, all Sony SantaMonica/London/Japan/Sandiego/Liverpool/Cambridge, Sega & their PS support, Kojima-San & his team, Incognito,Evolution, Polyphony Digital,& Team ICO.. Thank u all for giving me a reason fall in love with the PS Nation. Thank u for forming the true PS Nation & pioneering a new era of games & innovation no one has sought for.
THANK U!!!!
We bow u in utmost respect of all ur hardwork!

+ SEVIREDgamer on February 11th, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

Hey Jack it’s nice to see you actually drop in and thank us, we know you are always so humble when you do your press releases for NPD but it’s nice to actually have you come in the blog and chat with your fellow fans and supporters, Good job on such a successful year for the PS3, we are glad you bottom line all those games that gets released exclusively for our PS3s each and every year. PS3 brings it and i’m happy for you and SCE… keep up the Good work and You are very welcome.

+ igorsport09 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

Playstation rulez!

+ justin_young on February 11th, 2010 at 4:50 pm said:

I didnt get mine til 2010 but hey maybe mine will be part of an even better 2010!!!!!!!

+ Sgt_Trax on February 11th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

I have been a loyal owner of the PS since it was on the US store shelves. Stay ahead of the competitors & involve ALL potential users to include E & E6+ so I may have more family time with my family.

Your Welcome Jack!

+ Globox_82 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:51 pm said:

Finally! Mr Tretton i am glad you posted this, it’s time for Sony to begin with these reports, just how Mr Greenberg bombards with his 360 numbers and what not.

+ Glacier928 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

A great 2009? More like an OUTSTANDING 2009! Glad to be a PS3 owner since the launch (even though I had to buy a PS3 slim 2 months ago since my 60gb model got the “yellow light of death” lol). But in all honestly, thank you and everyone at SCEA for all the support! Looking forward to hearing your next speech at E3. You’re the only presenter who gives a damn good speech!

+ Destiny89 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

Im the one who should thank you Sony for always bringing great games so thank you and your welcome :)

+ Destiny89 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:54 pm said:

Also Sony and to everyone working with Sony hope you guys have something in-store for FFXIII, you guys need to market the game so strongly and make it like its a PS3 exclusive

+ Zookey on February 11th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

Seeing how, in 2009, Sony paid my way into E3, let me into the Press Conference and threw one helluva PS Blog meetup party–I’d say yeah, 2009 was an awesome year—2010′s gonna top it tho!

+ unlimited4now on February 11th, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

It’s nothing but pleasure the PlayStation has a great offline and online balance in my opinion and a lot of games that support offline and online equally hope to see more of it at least the latest game has shown that. The good thing my ps1 and ps2 had work fine i never got the need to repair it or buy another console and ps3 will be the same. Happy new year to all.

+ brasileirodeS2 on February 11th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

jack, im from BRAZIL and i use the US an Portugal services, we need more support here. Great 2010 for us all, PS Nation

+ thebiglouie on February 11th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Everything Jack said is true, but I’m surprised that he didn’t say that the $100 price drop was one of, if not, the major reason for the rise in console sales in the last few months.

+ King_KDawgg on February 11th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

As long as your company continues to fund original/risky games like Heavy Rain and top quality games like Uncharted 2, Ratchet and Clank, God of War, etc. AND continue to offer a great and FREE online service, you can count on my continued support.

Sony’s robust stable of first/second party developers has always put them above the competition for me.

+ PatriotEyez27 on February 11th, 2010 at 5:05 pm said:

Your welcome!

+ DeforMAKulizer on February 11th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

Btw, im studying computer science in hopes to someday join the gaming industry with one of Sony’s renowned studios =D
Hopefully it will become true!!! =D

+ mafia28 on February 11th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

No Jack Tretton…..Thank You!!!

+ ADR143 on February 11th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

your welcome 2010 will be better

+ TheUndertaker85 on February 11th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Thank you very much Sony for offering us all the opportunity to own the greatest console in the world at this time, the PS3. Hopefully this momentum continues through 2010 and into the future.

On a bit of an off side note, when might we PS3 owners learn a bit more about the Premium Subscriptions that are said to launch in June? There’s a lot of rumors going around that have people running scared. Putting out a little knowledge might help to ease this confusion.

+ ROLO_ONFIRE on February 11th, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

You should bring back backwards compatibility as a thank you to your fans ;)

+ Parapraxis on February 11th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

Thanks Jack, looking forward to the rest of 2010 and years to come!