PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

Flower Dynamic Theme Now Available, Original Soundtrack Announced

Randall Lowe's Avatar + Posted by Randall Lowe on Feb 12, 2010 // Associate Producer, SCEA Santa Monica Studio for Flower

Hey Everyone.

Randall Lowe here with a lot of really exciting Flower news and announcements. It is my honor to be posting on behalf of Jenova Chen or Kellee Santiago, the creative geniuses at thatgamecompany behind Flower.

Today, February 12, we’re all very proud to be celebrating the one year anniversary of Flower’s release on the PSN! Before I get onto the news, perhaps I should recap for those of you who aren’t familiar with Flower.

Flower is a completely new experience in gaming that takes you on an emotional journey through vivid and beautiful landscapes. In it, you guide the wind to collect flower petals, float above grassy hills, and paint the world with color and light. Since its debut, it has won a ton of awards and recognitions, from critics and fans alike, as a truly unique experience and ground-breaking game. If you missed it, here’s Jenova and Kellee accepting the award for Best Indie Game at the Spike VGAs in December. If you haven’t tried the game out yet, now’s the perfect chance!

Even better than reading my words about how unique and beautiful Flower really is, please take a moment and watch this developer diary video featuring Kellee from TGC, and my boss here at Santa Monica, Eric Koch.

So, back to the anniversary. To celebrate Flower turning one year young, and all the success the game has enjoyed since its release, we’ve put together a beautiful and serene dynamic theme, complete with day and night cycles, for all the fans who want to bring the Flower experience to their XMB. This went live on the PlayStation Store yesterday for the low price of $2.99. Go check it out!

Want more than just the dynamic theme? Then you’re in luck! Coming soon, we’ll be releasing the original soundtrack for Flower composed by Vincent Diamante. This soundtrack has been remastered and mixed specifically for this release, and more details will be announced in the near future. So check back on the blog for a release date and pricing!

Speaking of fans, here’s a great fan-made trailer that the developers liked so much, they contacted the creators so we could release it officially on PSN!

89 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Mr_Valor on February 12th, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

Excellent. Only word to describe this game.
Cant wait to get the theme.

Not to take anything away from this but will Cloud ever come to PS3?

+ Kchow23 on February 12th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

best game to just relax and have fun

+ Rhez on February 12th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

Flower was/is an amazing game. I loved flOw as well. I really can’t wait to see what they come up with next. I already purchased the new theme. Hmm, you know there was an expansion for flOw. hint, hint. But if it means delaying your next project don’t worry about an expansion till later.

Anywho with all the great and epic games on PS3, i.e. Uncharted2, Flower still manages to hold a place in my favorite games. I think I just might scurry off to my couch to play it again right now. gotta go.

+ scareforce18 on February 12th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

literally the most beautiful game i’ve ever seen on concept AND graphical presentation. i’m getting the theme

+ schiz-o-phren-ic on February 12th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

Theme’s all good and dandy, but how about the game? It’s on sale overseas. Why not here as well?

+ CapinChronic on February 12th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

Bob Dylan FTW!! :)

+ xiked on February 12th, 2010 at 3:45 pm said:

LOVE Flower! I bought it day 1 and will buy the OST and dynamic Theme! I want to support That gamecompany to the max! I hope to see more innovative and emotional games from you guys/girls on PS3 exclusively!

+ OscarSeymourEsq on February 12th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

“Finally, I just wanted to take a moment on behalf of thatgamecompany and SCEA Santa Monica Studio to express the sincere gratitude and appreciation to all the fans of Flower; for the longevity of your support and your level of interest in this project that has meant so much to so many people.”

You’re more than welcome. Keep producing titles as good as this and I’ll continue to buy them.

: )

+ porktree on February 12th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

I love Flower, but seriously $2.99 for a _theme_, I’m not a moron. I can get 3 iPhone games for that.

+ Invisibleman306 on February 12th, 2010 at 5:40 pm said:

where’s the platinum trophy???

+ Lord_Orpheo on February 12th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

Own the theme. I want to know if the soundtrack will have the song from the official trailer.

+ poweredbyzen on February 12th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

can’t get the “unscathed” trophy so i’m stuck, but i won’t mind being stuck with this dynamic theme. love the sound of bells on the old theme – very zen-like! ohm…

+ CrimsonFox13 on February 12th, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

Bought the game, bought the theme, will buy the soundtrack!

+ AutomaticOcelot on February 12th, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

It is so perfect that Kellee has pink hair. Not meaning to judge, but that is exactly who should be in charge of this studio. It’s right. :)

+ Raoni_Andrade on February 12th, 2010 at 8:04 pm said:

We REALLY need a expansion DLC to Flower!!! This game is magical!!!

Continue doing this great job!

Thanks for all the amazing hours I had playing this game

+ spideyal on February 12th, 2010 at 8:55 pm said:

Wow, she has pink hair. :/
AND it looks good on her.

How often does pink hair look good on someone? lol

And yes, I plan on going to the PSN and purchasing the Flower Dynamic Theme.
Can’t wait to see what else you guys have in store for us Playstation gamers. :D

+ SpyDudeFX on February 12th, 2010 at 9:16 pm said:

Andorski-G, no they don’t update them. A few dynamic themes are even missing the chat icon which is weird, so a default question mark icon appears. The only way would be if the devs updated the theme, then we would have to dl and reinstall them. They have never done this, would be nice though.

+ XenoNative on February 12th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

sweet

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on February 12th, 2010 at 10:11 pm said:

Flower was great, I’ll see if I can get a preview of the theme on Youtube.

+ Thrasher20 on February 12th, 2010 at 10:47 pm said:

Nice hair!

+ Darth-Krayt on February 12th, 2010 at 11:21 pm said:

Hey, I just wanted to give you guys a HUGE thank you for giving away Flow today. I can’t really afford to splurge on game right now saving for Heavy Rain, GoW3 and Dragon Age Awakening. So being able to get a game I’ve always been kind of interested in but never bought because I couldn’t convince myself to, is GREATLY appreciated. Thanks so much.

+ UnholierThanThou on February 12th, 2010 at 11:57 pm said:

The Flower dynamic theme is the ONLY worthwhile one besides the LittleBigPlanet dynamic theme! I LOVE it! Totally worth the $2.99! Great game, great theme! Keep up the awesome work, guys! :)

+ tosun01 on February 13th, 2010 at 1:19 am said:

I´m buying this theme as well. Thanks and happy anniversary Flower.

By the way, can we hope to see Cloud on the PS3?

+ Rude_Sparthan on February 13th, 2010 at 4:29 am said:

Happy Birthday….. I love you thatgamecompany.. ;o) thanks!

+ CAMOFLAUGEROGG20 on February 13th, 2010 at 5:55 am said:

i really lk it .no homo it was a instant classic

+ KidCommando on February 13th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

Thank you for the FREE Flow download!

I purchased the dynamic theme in support of thatgamecompany. Flower was/is an amazing game. It is always one of the first games I show to people who are relatively new to gaming. EVERYTHING about Flower; the message, gameplay, experience, graphics, are all top notch.

Thanks again and looking forward to your next project.

+ jrivera0108 on February 13th, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

Bought Flower on day 1…can’t believe its been a yr alrdy. Hope this blog brings even more people on board that missed out. Thx for the free Flow dl!

+ MaDogNik96 on February 13th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

THANK YOU. I love the dynamic theme. I used the original one until the dynamic LBP theme came, but now I use this. I’ve been waiting for the soundtrack since the game came out (pretty much). So I am very pleased to hear about that.

+ tuko on February 13th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

ya know what? I’ve always wanted to get this game but never got aroudn to it.

I just watched the developers Diary and listened to the dylan track on the trailer and I’ve decided to download it now.

+ Pelt_Hunter on February 13th, 2010 at 6:31 pm said:

Instead of buying something I could play over and over again like the Zen Pinball Ninja Gaiden Sigma table, I got this Dynamic theme because I thought the grass would be 3D akin to the actual game. As it is, it just looks like a 2D sprite/texture thing that’s blurry up close and ugly… no individual blades blowing in the wind, no motion control to mess with the wind or the leaves in the background, it’s just a day/night cycle theme that LBP did better.. Kind of wish I got that new pinball table instead…

+ Solid-Snake-Eyes on February 14th, 2010 at 12:17 am said:

Bought the theme, I love it. You didn’t do what so many themes do wrong: ugly icons, outrageously loud and/or annoying sound effects… This is the only theme I’ve paid for and will probably remain the only one, it’s so nice. Well worth the $3.

+ x9248 on February 14th, 2010 at 3:07 am said:

Flower is $4.99 right now for a day only, just bought it. Also got the theme for kicks XD

+ Egz-Onine on February 14th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

I bought the theme. Very nice. Definitely looking forward to adding the soundtrack to my collection.

+ Tridon on February 14th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

I bought ‘Flower’ as soon as it released on the PSN just due to the fact that ‘flOw’ was one of my favourite games ever. ‘Flower’ is now the best downloadable game I own and easily the best $10 I have ever spent.

I bought the dynamic theme immediately last Thursday and I will not hesitate to buy the soundtrack as soon as I can.

I give huge props to thatgamecompany for creating a game that I would’ve never thought possible for myself to enjoy. It’s the most relaxing and enjoyable experience I have ever had on any PlayStation system and I count down the days to their third game on the PS3.

Jenova Chen is now going down in my books as one of the most intelligent game designers around, and Kellee Santiago is one of the most beautiful and talented women in the business. I commend both of your work and look forward to what you can give us next. Thank you.

+ Minck on February 14th, 2010 at 5:43 pm said:

I LOVE THIS GAME SO MUCH!!!! I have played this game more than any other PSN downloadable game!! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE work on making Flower into 3D like they showed at CES, It looks like it would be a perfect fit!!

+ tj_530 on February 15th, 2010 at 3:55 pm said:

I wish you guys would have new dynamic themes more often. They’re really neat.

+ Elvick_ on February 17th, 2010 at 12:26 am said:

You have no idea how much I love Flower and how happy it makes me that the music is finally releasing for me to purchase and shove on repeat for hours upon hours of pure bliss.

Flower is one of the best experiences ever created and easily the best game of 2009. And thatgamecompany is now one of my favorite developers because of it.

I can’t wait for more from them. <3

+ Mr_Valor on February 17th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

Very Dissapointed in the theme.No icon Set(could have been flowers)thought it would change from night to day and differnt settings like the game does.(
2.99 theme?
Nope.
Game..extrodinary yes
Save you money.,.buy the game.
Star Trek dynamic TOS theme smokes this(especially the blue one)

+ Ryusennin on March 12th, 2010 at 9:27 am said:

@Sony

That’s nice and all, but Vincent’s OST was ready to be released months ago. What took you so long to validate it? Seriously, PSN is a collection of missed business opportunities, and yet you keep complaining about not making enough money out of it. What kind of professionals are you?

PAGE 1 2