Final Fantasy VII Remake

Feb 16

3D Dot Game Heroes Aren’t Born; They’re Made…in the Editor

Aram Jabbari's Avatar Posted by Aram Jabbari on Feb 16, 2010 // Manager of PR and Sales, ATLUS

PlayStation.Blog chums,

Most games ask you to assume the role of a hero. Often, you don’t have any say in who they are or what they look like, and in some cases the customization options you’re given are limited. 3D Dot Game Heroes, while it takes its inspiration and purpose from 8 and 16-bit classics that came out years ago, gives the gamer nearly limitless control over the look (and movement) of their protagonist. The game may be all homage, but it’s certainly not out to limit anyone’s homagination!

*crickets chirp*

Err… Let’s dive into the all-powerful, easy-to-use editor, shall we?

3ddotgameheroes_screens_editor 1

One of the custom characters that comes included on the disc. I’ll call him… Monkey Kong?

Creating a custom character in 3DDGH (my fingers thank me for the abbreviation, so please note it) is more than just figuring out what it will be and look like; you have to animate it, too. Before the self-proclaimed “artistically-challenged” gamers run for the hills, snapping paintbrushes between their thumbs and index fingers, I’ll point out a couple of things. First, the North American release of the game comes with far more custom characters on the disc than the original Japanese release, allowing for even the most character editor averse gamer to experience the thrill of saving the kingdom as a ninja, shark, or heck, even jolly old Saint Nick.

Second, and more importantly, the editor is very easy to use! Copy and paste functions make things super quick, whether you’re copying and pasting one pose (Walk 1) into another animation (Walk 2, for example—above) or designing half of a character and then copying, pasting, and flipping said side to create a complete and awesome custom character.

3ddotgameheroes_screens_editor 2

Four more legs and this thing would creep the heck out of me…

And because the editor is in full 3D, offers a clean, intuitive interface, and doesn’t mess around with things like textures (trust us, when you see your creations lit by the game’s amazing real-time lighting engine, you won’t really care about textures), even the most nervous, inexperienced designer will soon realize they can save the Kingdom of Dotnia with anything they can imagine. A single, floating pixel? Sure. A tank? No problem. A flying jet? Easy. If you can dream it (and yes, if it fits within the size limit—above), you can create it.

Is there anything more satisfying than saving an entire kingdom as a dog?

3ddotgameheroes_screens_editor 3

Yeah, Master Poochi will be ready to save the kingdom… Right after he takes care of that fire hydrant back near the castle.

Or a shark (it comes up when it’s attacking)?

3ddotgameheroes_screens_editor 4

Just imagine that classic music in your head, because we can’t afford the rights to it.

Or some sort of futuristic mechanical… well, whatever the heck it is:

3ddotgameheroes_screens_editor 5

Someone get me a newspap… Oh wait, that’s us?

We think not! And the best part is: You can share your custom creations with the rest of the 3DDGH community online! Just save your character, move it to a USB storage drive, and then upload the file to our character hub site (scheduled to launch at or around the time of the game’s launch) so that others can enjoy your handiwork.

Hey, in the end, you’re hurried into a castle, handed a sword, and asked to save the kingdom. You are a hero, a savior, the chosen one. Everyone’s counting on you. So why not make sure that the “you” you’ve assumed control of for your parody-filled, homage-laden old school retro adventure is your ideal character?

Remember to check out the editor the very first time you startup your copy of 3D Dot Game Heroes, a statement that assumes that you’ve already (or will immediately hereafter) pre-ordered your copy and will be among the first to relive your childhood(s) when the game launches on May 11th. Visit the official website for more details.

PAGE 1 2

+ Sindred on February 16th, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

Lol, your little presentation is a funny as the game promises to be. A Tank carrying a sword?

+ D-Squad3 on February 16th, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

Freaking awesome

+ Korbei83 on February 16th, 2010 at 7:33 am said:

Your assumption of my pre-order is correct. I’ll pay double if I can have it now.

+ dragonarya on February 16th, 2010 at 7:34 am said:

Saving the world as a dog (or rather, wolf) was done before, actually, in Okami.
Looking forward to this!

+ Sindred on February 16th, 2010 at 7:44 am said:

I dunno how difficult this would be to implement, but something fun would be to release a standalone character editor (on PSN) before the game ships. It would get people excited to play the game since they’ll have their little creation ready to go. Not sure if it’s a challenge pulling that from the main game, and make is standalone, but it would be a great way to promote it…

And would make waiting for the game a bit more bearable for us :D

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on February 16th, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

Great idea, Sindred!

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 16th, 2010 at 7:46 am said:

How cool! I cannot wait for this game!! XD

I’m gonna sound like a big ol fanboy but I don’t care, you’re the freaking best Atlus. Publishing Demon’s Souls and now this? thankyouthankyouthankyou!!!!!!!!

+ Gorvi on February 16th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

Awesome, simply awesome. But really, you missed the perfect opportunity to show a floating Atlus logo fighting the good fight. :)

+ snoopypup248 on February 16th, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

AMAZING! I’m super excited for this game! :D

+ TrueFFVIIFan on February 16th, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

Will there be s special incentive pre-order bonuses? I certainly hope so- you know, to think something awesome you’d want to include this with different or specific character(s) data(s) or something awesome that we have never seen before or thought of that before. Please make that happen.

I trust you to find something intriguing to include some in!

+ spatsnaz on February 16th, 2010 at 7:57 am said:

Wow. Can’t wait for this!

+ Wuggyboobeaufuf on February 16th, 2010 at 7:57 am said:

So is the Japanese DLC going to be included on the disc for us or not?

+ tsukasa1288 on February 16th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

I like number #16’s idea, too bad there probably isn’t enough time to do something like that though…

+ Zezzler on February 16th, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

Just When i think this game cant offer any more, BAM! character customization. thanks atlus for this localization~

have you guys considered producing No More Heroes: Heroes Paradise?

+ Sekoku on February 16th, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

Okay, that’s cool. Still on the fence given how many replaythroughs you had to do for Demon’s Souls platinum, though…

+ WYO1016 on February 16th, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

Very cool. I’d never heard of this game before this post, but I’ll probably have to pick it up now. Fully custom characters in an RPG? Sold.

+ jqtaxpayer on February 16th, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

@24: It’s still a quicker platinum than White Knight Chronicles… I don’t know what Level 5 was thinking there.

Anyway, can’t wait for this one.

+ Jon_Mclane on February 16th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

I just wanted to let you know that I laughed at the homagination joke

+ Craazy on February 16th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

I hope you guys can hold hands with From Software forever, you guys make a great team.

Will there be any pre-order bonuses?

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on February 16th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

Nothing has been determined quite yet with regards to pre-order bonus(es). We try to make a big deal when we do something special, so if we do plan anything, I\’m sure you all will hear about it :)

+ Kirkpad on February 16th, 2010 at 8:45 am said:

I’m gonna save the world…. with a stapler.

Aram Jabbari's Avatar

+ Aram Jabbari on February 16th, 2010 at 9:51 am said:

Make sure you take Rob Schneider with you.

+ Dark_Schala on February 16th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

Oh, I love Atlus blog entries. They’re so tongue-in-cheek! I always look forward to the Atlus Faithful newsletters, too, if I need a smile during lectures.
Thanks Atlus, for bringing awesome niche titles to North America, including Demon’s Souls and 3D Dot Game Heroes. (And I can’t wait for Persona3 Portable, either!) As a linguistics major, I am a HUGE fan of your localizations!
Out of curiosity, are there going to be any Atlus Spoils with 3D Dot Game Heroes? Is North America/Europe going to get the DLC as well?
Thanks, and keep up the great work!

+ Berae on February 16th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

Demons souls was my GOTY last year and 3D dot game heroes looks to be as fun, i have not preorder it yet but be sure i will soon enough.

+ MarinoBrea on February 16th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

Will there be an Official 3DDGH Guide? and how about a Soundtrack CD or cassette lol (or even a practical digital download?) Give us something extra to get a whiff of!

+ cronqvist on February 16th, 2010 at 9:13 am said:

I don’t know yet what I’m gonna be when I save the world, but it’s gonna be awesome… that, or really hilarious.

+ Enforcer_X on February 16th, 2010 at 9:37 am said:

This looks kicking ass!
Rock on!

+ octus on February 16th, 2010 at 9:40 am said:

you guys are awesome, you make the posts enjoyable to read, and give us a lot of info too. thanks for the great games, i will be picking this up.

+ Darkpen on February 16th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

Will it be possible to just load up the character file via the PS3’s web browser, or is that simply not possible at the moment, let alone through the game’s own interface?

Also, please please please get the devs to make a “demo” to let us mess around with the character creation to use in the game before release!

+ ynp7 on February 16th, 2010 at 9:48 am said:

Why does everyone make these things as in-game editors? It’d be so much easier for everyone involved if you could create them using real tools designed for the task instead of clunky controller interfaces. Very few people are going to actually use them in-game anyway, and most of those people are going to have access to much better programs because they’re freely available on the Internet.

PAGE 1 2