PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Heavy Rain Paris Launch Party Recap

Chris Morell's Avatar + Posted by Chris Morell on Feb 19, 2010 // Senior Social Media Specialist

As you already know, Heavy Rain drops this Tuesday, and that means this weekend’s wait will most likely seem undoubtedly long. To help ease the pain, PlayStation.Blog.Europe‘s Jem Alexander comes bearing gifts: videos, pictures and a first-hand account of this week’s Parisian activities. Take it away, Jem!

I hope you’re ready for lots of Heavy Rain content, because while we were at the big Launch Party in Paris this week we managed to secure a nice amount of interview and video content which should tide you over until well after the game comes out next week. To kick things off we’ve got a short teaser video and some photos which should give you an idea of what the launch event was like. I would’ve loved for you all to have been there with us, but hopefully this is the next best thing.

The event took place at the Gaumont Cinema on the Champs Elysees in Paris, where David Cage (Writer/Director), Guillaume de Fondaumiere (Executive Producer), Pascal Langdale (Actor – Ethan Mars), Sam Douglas (Actor – Scott Shelby), Leon Ockenden (Actor – Norman Jayden) and Jacqui Ainsley (Actor – Madison Paige) met members of the film and game media and members of the public. After having played through the game last week, it was very surreal to see them walking around in the real world. The event involved much red carpet walking, hors d’oeuvre nibbling and industry mingling. Plus an ice sculpture in the shape of an origami. No, really.

Heavy Rain Launch Event

A cut down video edit of the first section of the game was shown to media on one of the Gaumont’s many cinema screens. There aren’t many games which can be confidently displayed on the silver screen in front of dozens of members of the press but, if the applause was anything to go by, they seemed to love it. After this, director Neil LaBute stepped in to present a short film, which he had directed specially for the event, based on Heavy Rain‘s central premise: how far would you go to save someone you love? It’s a short seven minute talking heads piece involving a wide range of film industry members, such as Samuel L. Jackson, Hanif Kureishi, Nicolas Roeg, Stephen Frears, Ben Chaplin, Nicholas Hoult, Peter Bogdanovich and Jean Marc Barr. Check it out for yourself below.

This was followed by a Q&A panel involving Mr. LaBute alongside David Cage, Terry Gilliam, Martha Fiennes and Mathieu Kassovitz, during which they discussed how the film and game industries were merging. It was a pretty lively debate and we’re hoping to get you a video of that in the next week or so. It was great to see the enthusiastic responses from these respected industry veterans towards Heavy Rain.

The second day of the event was only slightly less glamorous, but no less interesting. Media had interviews with the actors, David Cage and Guillaume de Fondaumiere and you can see our interviews with them begin to appear next week. Thanks again for answering my request for interview questions. I’ll leave you with the teaser video taken at the red carpet event and you can look forward to plenty more Heavy Rain content on PlayStation.Blog in the coming weeks. Plus, you’ll be able to pick up the game and play it for yourself on Wednesday in mainland Europe and Friday in the UK (and Tuesday in North America).

44 Comments

+ TruRage on February 19th, 2010 at 8:29 am said:

Such a nice piece to watch ^_^

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on February 19th, 2010 at 8:38 am said:

good job sony i was watchen gameplay last night on jtv live it looks good nice endings to saw dif endings it was good

+ joseph2411 on February 19th, 2010 at 8:41 am said:

This game is great, can’t wait till next week.

+ Midpipps on February 19th, 2010 at 8:43 am said:

Awesome videos. Pre-Ordered this and cannot wait for the game to show up on my door step. Only problem is it will probably cut into some of my homework time. :(

+ mrlogical on February 19th, 2010 at 8:46 am said:

I don’t know, I wouldn’t say the wait “will most likely seem undoubtedly long.” I’m thinking the wait will undoubtedly seem most likely long. In any event, I’m really hoping some unscrupulous and/or dumb retailer will break street date, because I would love to get started this weekend.

+ StalkingSilence on February 19th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

Interesting artsy video, especially when Samuel L Jackson said he’d be spending money to have someone not kill the guy but F*** him every day. Good to know he can break character

+ SigmaGT on February 19th, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

Will buy!

+ G-Force08 on February 19th, 2010 at 8:57 am said:

Thanks for making the few days left to wait on it feel even longer guys! :)

Sucks that I have to work on the release day until way up in the night! Do you think I should play hooky?

+ morningdrive on February 19th, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

wow the actors that played the 4 main characters look very identical to the ones in the game.

+ MOE-GUNZ-JACKSON on February 19th, 2010 at 9:04 am said:

Sam Jackson :]

+ RuthlessEd on February 19th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

Shame the actual “gameplay” is so clunky, unintuitive, and lame.

A whole game based on QTE?

Hello yesteryear.

+ Resetti on February 19th, 2010 at 9:19 am said:

I pre-ordered two copies of the game! I can’t wait for it to come out. I’m looking forward to the questionnaire!

+ Seiven on February 19th, 2010 at 9:24 am said:

I like Sam Jackson, but his comments seemed so out of place in the first video

+ sam_i_jam on February 19th, 2010 at 9:32 am said:

Fantastic!

+ XenoNative on February 19th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

oh god yes. my bitrthday is on monday and the game comes out on tuesday. i took both days off from work and i will enjoy every bit of the game. thank you quantic dream for game and playstation blog for the news. perfect b-day gifts.

+ Zinacef on February 19th, 2010 at 9:41 am said:

What is love?

+ Seiven on February 19th, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

I have been following this game since it was titled “the origami killer” and I have had it paid off for weeks now…I can’t wait till Tuesday to pick it up.

+ BlooodyCow on February 19th, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

Does any of these video contain any spoiler? I want to know before I view them.

+ TheGuardianFID on February 19th, 2010 at 9:50 am said:

I have it pre-ordered, Me and my cousin played the demo the other night and played out the Shelby scene in like six different ways!!! It was awesome and hilarious because in one of them we just stood outside the chick’s door as she screamed for like 5 minutes waiting to see if the thug would come out of her apartment, but when he didn’t we went in and let him beat the crap out of Shelby lol, so she had bruises all over her face and so did Shelby lol, it was hilarious, good times, yes I’m evil!!! 8P 8)
__________________

+ Destiny89 on February 19th, 2010 at 10:00 am said:

Cant wait to get my hands on it

+ Mies2000 on February 19th, 2010 at 10:06 am said:

*Applause*

The videos were awesome. The ideas, in the first piece, were very intriguing. I can’t wait for the emotional roller coaster, that is, Heavy Rain.

Maybe I feel this was because I watched “American Beauty” today. If the game is anything like that, I will be pleased.

Day 1 buy, for sure!

+ KickAMeatCurtain on February 19th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

can’t wait for Heavy Rain, but it’s getting really annoying not being able to watch vids on this site with the PS3 browser…REALLY ANNOYING…and sad

+ poweredbyzen on February 19th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

this is evidence that there’s a need to produce something different to challenge the ever-changing needs of the gaming community. only when you push the envelope and really pull all stops when it comes to being creative can you really come up with something that’s never been done before.

for sure, it’s these reasons that make me proud to be a fanboy!

+ FritoZ on February 19th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Cmon Gamefly, deliver me Heavy Rain early!!!!

;P

really looking forward to it, hopefully in the game there is an option to “run”…in the demo the characters seemed to move too slow!

+ JaY_Ci_415 on February 19th, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

My b-day is on Monday as well and I can’t wait to play this while I’m off of work recovering from the hangover I’m going to get from partying all weekend.

Been waiting for this game for awhile and it’s perfect for something to get out of the usual games I have in my library.

+ D-Squad3 on February 19th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Awesome, Samuel L. Jackson!

+ Doaner on February 19th, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

@11
looks like a n00b to PSN
must be a 360 fanboy

+ Hobartbob on February 19th, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

This game will be epic!! Please bring some Heavy Rain content to Home NA!!!

+ Berae on February 19th, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

Cant wait! few more days!

+ Scary69 on February 19th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

I myself cannot wait for this game either. I wish they had a midnight launch and maybe give out something from the game. Oh well I guess I have to wait til Tuesday. *sigh*

+ TheRealAlpha2 on February 19th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

@11
Toobad you didnt even bother to try a demo… or even try to read about the game.

Hello Troll.

+ MadmanNeverDies on February 19th, 2010 at 11:45 am said:

Nicely done. Too bad we the public never get opportunities like this. Heck, I’d even pay to go a spiffy (no teenager in the lineups) game launch dinner party.

+ MarvelAssassin on February 19th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Can’t wait to pick this up next week!

+ ycole11 on February 19th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Nicholas Hoult!!! Great videos, nice game.

+ acerazer1 on February 19th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

Can’t freakin wait. Preordered a few weeks ago along with MLB10

+ iantempleu on February 19th, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

So is this game seriously not going to have an advertisement prior to release? That’s irresponsible.

+ xiked on February 19th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

There must be advertisement in the US for this game! But I don´t see any and this game is releasing next week. This is madness. Why are we not seeing Kevin Butler whit a “Only everything” ad..? This game is making a new genre and should be a shining gem in SONYS portfolio! This game needs to sell well! It deserve it and I want more games like this. Come on SONY!

+ Thrasher20 on February 19th, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

Sweet stuff

Off topic: A Boeing 747 airplane just flew about 300 feet above my house. That was loud as hell!!! And scary.

+ NoCanSurf on February 19th, 2010 at 1:57 pm said:

My birthday is Feb 21st. Could some one at Sony call my local GameStop and tell them to let me take my pre-ordered copy of Heavy Rain early… Thanks.

I’ve not been this excited to play a game in a long time. I can’t wait.

+ LittleSpaceDoubt on February 19th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Pickin up my preordered copy on Tues. Won’t have a full day of playing it until Sat. :(

Extremely interested in seeing what Terry Gilliam has to say about the game/ gaming industry.

+ Einhander138 on February 19th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

How’s that DLC launch going btw?

Delayed by a week?

Oh, what a shame.

+ danielakadanny on February 19th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

would buy this game but my PS3 got the yellow light of death :(. Now to save some money

+ SilverPR on February 19th, 2010 at 8:45 pm said:

Makes me more exited to get this game on Tuesday. By far the female roles and the guy that play Scott Shelby are by far the most look alike of the bunch. It’s amazing!!!

+ jimmytav on March 8th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

i have heavy rain for ps3 how in the world do u get past the transtation, also if you pre ordered the game can you give me the dlc thank you.