Ratchet & Clank PS4

Feb 23

Realism of MLB 10: The Show

Greg Batalucco's Avatar Posted by Greg Batalucco on Feb 23, 2010 // Designer, MLB

Hey everyone, Greg Batalucco here to bring you the next installment of MLB 10: The Show posts. This entry will focus on the realism and experience within our stadiums.

Beginning with last year’s version of The Show, we wanted to make the game even more accurate. In MLB 10: The Show, we have taken it further and added more to your gaming experience. New for this year’s edition are real-time players in the dugouts and bullpens, fireworks, rally towels, thundersticks, working digital and analog clocks, and much more. All these realistic enhancements to the game make MLB 10: The Show feel and sound like you are actually at the ballpark. Throughout this post we will focus on the stadium enchantments and how they make The Show come alive!

Real-Time Players in The Dugout and Bullpen
New to this year’s version of The Show is having the dugouts and bullpens full to capacity in real time. What this means is that players will be seen in actual game time sitting on the bench, standing, leaning on the railings and moving around. The players will even react to the action on the field, so if a foul ball comes in the dugout, they will quickly move out of the way. You’ll also see bullpen activity – with pitchers getting up, stretching and starting to loosen up. Managers will be seen giving instruction to the bench players and calling out to the fielders in play. This realism gives you, the user, the element that you are involved in a real-life baseball game.

Stadiums Experiences (Fireworks/HR/splash counters/clocks)
Last year we added quite a bit to the stadium experience, but this year we wanted to make MLB 10 stand out even more. We set out researching how the stadiums looked, finding the little nuances of each stadium. If you’re going to include fireworks, they have to look and sound real. Each fireworks explosion is designed to recreate the actual fireworks display that is seen when the home team hits a homerun or wins the game.

Another area of detail with the stadiums was adding in the famous Home Run Splash Counter in San Francisco. This also includes a special Splash Camera which follows the ball as it splashes into McCovey Cove. Also added to our stadiums are working clocks which show the actual time from game start until finish. There are digital and analog clocks throughout the stadiums, so check out the time as you play the game.

Crowd Detail (Reaching over the rails, thundersticks, rally towels, detail)
This year we added so much more to our crowds and their animations. The crowd in MLB 10 will now react to a ball hit into the stands either on foul balls or home runs. They will also reach over the railings to try and grab a ground ball that is hit into foul territory. Play The Show and you may actually see a fan take a tumble over the wall. Another thing we wanted to spruce up is crowd accessories. We decided to add in thundersticks, rally towels and the ever-present “cowbell” in Tampa. These little touches of realism add up to make MLB 10: The Show a home run!

Final Thoughts
As you can see, we went into the making of MLB 10 asking the question, “What can we do to make this game more realistic?” Our community and fans wanted even more detail and realism. If your favorite team, stadium, or crowd does things a certain way, we want to make sure it’s reflected in The Show. This attention to detail is what makes us stand out. From new fireworks, splash counters, thundersticks and more, we want you to feel the sights and sounds of real live baseball. We appreciate your feedback and will always listen to our fans as we try to make the best game possible. Thanks for your time and we hope you enjoy MLB 10: The Show and the realism we bring to you.

+ linkinzpark88 on February 25th, 2010 at 9:43 am said:

Is there any way you can add full stats? Like career hitters averages vs. a certain pitcher, certain team, or at a certain stadium?

+ OregonDucks3 on February 25th, 2010 at 9:06 pm said:

Hi Greg,
I think if ya’ll used the same graphics engine and physics engine and controls as mlb the show and integrated that into a college baseball game fans would go nuts with excitement. I know you would convert 360 users to the ps3 for college if not both. Maybe hire a seperate dev team for that using the show but with all the collegate atmosphere. Including export, import draft classes as in madden and college football. Just an idea.

+ peacamaker on February 26th, 2010 at 12:35 am said:

A idea for next year game if you guys are capable of doing it is to do something similar to what madden had where you can pick 10 to 20 games of baseball history and replay them and see if you can change the outcome of what happen. Maybe even give trophy’s for them as well. If you haven’t already thought about it.

+ ronburgendy101 on February 26th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

greg did u guys fix like in the playoffs i was yankees at yankee stadium facin the angels n i saw like all red instead of yankees colors also angel fans cheering wen my yankees would hit hr pretty lame hope u fixed that…lemme know if ya did

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 26th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

Yes this is much better in this version.

+ ronburgendy101 on February 26th, 2010 at 4:19 pm said:

sweet thanks for the update also do u have any idea if gamestop is having a midnite release of the show cuz ill be there at 11pm waitin to pick it up and play it all nite long!!!!!!

+ longoriaisGOD3 on February 26th, 2010 at 7:52 pm said:

come tuesday, i no longer have a life…last year i bought a ps3 for one and only reason,THE SHOW…MLB 10′ will only the be the 2nd game ive bought for ps3

you guys do an AMAZING job at creating the most realistic sports game in the world…its just too bad that Longoria got wasted on such a horrible game at 2k

+ ronburgendy101 on February 26th, 2010 at 8:10 pm said:

hey greg will damon be on the tigers in mlb 10 or will he be added once we update the rosters wen we go online n if he is will he have tigers hat or that korny mlb hat on same with all other trades like granderson halladay lee ect.. lemme no plz

+ ronburgendy101 on February 26th, 2010 at 8:11 pm said:

@143 i too will have no life wen mlb 10 comes out my life will be to make the yankees roster lol

+ perfuse1 on February 27th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

While i am still highly upset with Sony for not putting out a demo before release. Monday at midnight i will be like a kid on Christmas. To whoever the person was that asked if gamestop will be doing a midnight release for this; they will be doing a midnight release for battlefield 2 which comes out on the same day. You can pick The Show up at this time as well…..

+ perfuse1 on February 27th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

@ Greg Batalucco

In MLB 11, I would love to see hot & cold zones that change from the start of the season to the break and then from the break to the start of the following year based on performance. Instead of the usual unchanging zones. Anyone else think that this is a good idea??? Lemme know what you guys think…

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on March 2nd, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Very good idea!

+ perfuse1 on February 27th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

BTW i was talking bout in Franchise and in RTTS modes….

+ AKAFearless21 on February 27th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

+ perfuse1 on February 27th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

No demo till after release AKA…

+ Se7enth_Sinn on February 27th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

Thanks a lot for answer some of our questions Greg, this means a lot to the fans. Great game and great Job. I bought a PS3 just for this game.

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on March 2nd, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Not a problem, I enjoy talking with the fans of the game. Any input or feedback is welcome as we look towards next year to make the game even better.

+ lesscan on March 2nd, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

So far the game seems pretty good. I have seen a couple of minor bugs. Like watching the batter head back to the dugout and he walks right through the dugout bars and doesnt appear to walk down the stairs just straight into the stands.

Im having a problem with the 6 Classic Stadiums though. I entered the code and I think they downloaded as I see them in My Account but when I try to play a game in a stadium, the stadiums appear locked and it says I need to be online to buy or use this feature. Ive signed in online but I still get the same message. Maybe somebody can help me.

+ GENE-PAUL on March 4th, 2010 at 10:08 am said:

Love the game, actually took a day of work to play. I love the pre-game batting practice a huge PLUS. There are a few things that could be discussed for MLB 11. What about Mascots dancing on the dugouts, actual weather for those open air stadiums, Fans heckling, Concession guys yelling “popcorn, peanuts”, Maybe cpu pitchers stepping off the mound after the make a bad pitch, maybe a confidence booster as your player is playing well maybe a temporary attribute boost to assist during lengthly hitting streaks. I still find it hard to hit and dive for balls in the air which I love, hate those boring games where you can hit a HR every time. Keep up the great work.

+ ike1050 on March 6th, 2010 at 6:10 am said:

Hey Greg first off the game is simply amazing especially the new features. I am a huge Pirate fan and I saw that Brendan Donnelly, Stephen Jackson, and Jeff Clement were missing and i was just wondering the reason behind that was. The last thing is I saw you were a relief pitcher for the Erie Seawolves I was wondering if that was a personal reward for being a big help for a great game or how did that come to.

+ wassu37 on March 6th, 2010 at 5:54 pm said:

Greg, first amazing work!!! You mentioned earlier that you are working on weather for ’11. Would love to see the (retractable)roofs open/close in the middle of the game.. Obviously different weather for different times of the year.. love how the ivy changes at Wrigley and the batters backdrop at Camden Yards. Maybe snow in Cleavland (for example) in April as it does sometimes. Incorporate seeing the players breath.. blow into their hands..ect..
In single game mode have a choice of picking a date (or temp) and have the weather for the game be based of that and stadium location.

+ wassu37 on March 6th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

I would buy an add-on that lets me build my own ballpark.. Have real limits. like wall height, foul pole distances, and seating capacity. Choose backgrounds ie. brick or limestone.. Be able to have a choice of some buildings beyond the walls.. maybe a train that runs by.. Place water and trees too. Choose seat color and number of decks. Scoreboard types.. and then…

Build my own franshise, design my own logo/uniforms. place it in a division, draft, and play..

+ wassu37 on March 6th, 2010 at 7:09 pm said:

One more thing on weather.

Love to see moving cloud systems on day games. Maybe even block the sun and change the lighting/shadows for a minute or two.

+ wassu37 on March 6th, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

for ’11

National Anthem(s) Both when you play @ Toranto or Toronto is visiting… maybe a flyover for the WS or All-Star game..???

Faint football field outlines in Oakland and Florida from August thru the end of the season.

+ snowf1re on March 7th, 2010 at 5:26 am said:

I love MLB the show, I loved 06 for my PSP, loved 09 – cept for online, and absolutely love MLB 10, a couple of suggestions for MLB 11. (1) I would love to see the ability to scan your face for creating a player. (2) I would like to see less of the same last name sounds spelt differently and more last name pronounciation, or (3) a way to pheonetically teach the name. for example, Cournoyea could be taught by typing in Corn-Y-A. And if those don’t work (4) Just a simple voice over of us saying our own names so the game gets it right. And I would love to see the ability in RTTS to be on deck, and watching the pitchers release and taking practice swings trying to get timing down right

+ mariners95 on March 8th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Xbox 360 player for years, hated 2k so much, first time I saw MLB09 in the store I bought a Playstation3 JUST FOR THIS GAME! MVP Baseball was still my all time favorite….then MLB10 came out, and it is near flawless. The greatest baseball game ever! I can’t put it down, great job guys.
Only suggestion? I like to keep my roster current during franchise season, would love a player search function so I could find those in-season real acquisitions quickly to get back to playing the game more.

For example having hard time finding if Mike Sweeney is in the game. I’d love to search and add him if he was.

+ kcgundy on March 14th, 2010 at 9:29 pm said:

Hi Greg, hopefully you’ll receive this… I can’t seem to find any place to report bugs! I have two (not counting the “Feedback” messages not working online, despite being directed there by the opening message):

In my first RTTS attempt I had it lock up on me. I try Sim Until Next Appearance, Sim to this Day, etc. and nothing. I can cancel out of the “sim” by pressing the “o”, but even if I let it sit there for 20 minutes it never sims past a certain day. Hopefully it’s just a fluke, I’ll be starting another RTTS soon to test it out.

The other issue is big and very annoying. In my Franchise, it seems like anyone I put on the trading block just gets traded automatically without my approval. I double checked my settings and they’re set to MANUAL trading, so I’m not sure what to do about it. I’m hoping it is just the trading block guys so I can just take them off for the time being, but it would be nice to attract trade offers from other teams without them just going through without even an explanation. I get an email saying a trade went through, but I can’t find anywhere who was actually traded unless I go to the initiating team and see who they have that I used to! :(

+ caracrowland on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:44 pm said:

Add players signature moves for example like when pujoles hit a homer he thanks god when he gets to home plate

+ Scottdau on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

Your game is simply AMAZING! And you guys nailed that water shot. Awesome!

+ Scottdau on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

The pitchers really seem to have got some love this year. It really looks like they are throwing that ball hard now. The team that worked on that did a great job. Also, Greg on HR’s at AT&T do the stack pipes shoot water out this year? And thank you for putting the retire numbers up in left field upper deck!

+ xrexx1995 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

great work on mlb10 any chance for mlb11 to have a view from the sky like every other inning and like if in the yankey stadium the crowd chanting !A ROD! !A ROD! or any other player in their home park?? thank and keep the great work.

+ ronburgendy101 on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

you should def look into putting bat boys in or people down the foul lines who get the foul balls and give em to the fans like they did in 2k7 i thought that was pretty kool but otherwise u guys blow 2k outta the water love you guys!!!!!

+ ronburgendy101 on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

7 more days i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! is that rumor about the demo bein released on the 25th accurate or not??

+ iiiOSKBARBERiii on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Great job guys Im just loving every moment as I look on this blog site now I know that MLB10 is gonna b the best baseball game I played so far.But there’s one thing that I wanna know. If the the players on the field gonna be the same players in the dugout.Cause on (MLB09) One day I was showing my friends that THESHOW is better than 2k9 and they bust on me cause of that :( Anyway I got over it cause I know what game is better. Anyway just make sure to feed back so I could know about this quick to fix problem. keep up the good work. xoxo happy valentines no homo lol…. I can’t wait 4 MLB10 bring it haters lol…

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

Yes, they are the same players that are on the field.

+ iiiOSKBARBERiii on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

+ ThEReAL32 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:26 pm said:

will you guys have towel in the playoff like they do in real life…and will a player get momento when the crowd is load and it screaming “Lets Go Red Soxs”.

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

They wave them in the playoffs, yes.

+ ThEReAL32 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:27 pm said:

wil the managers gonna come out like in real life and argue and even get ejected from games

+ djwirth2 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:06 pm said:

Greg, I noticed the Phillies have HR fireworks in the video. The one issue is that they only use fireworks for HR’s during the playoffs and never during the regular season. I’m assuming that the fireworks are in Philly for the entire game, playoffs or otherwise but please tell me my assumption is incorrect.

+ ThEReAL32 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:30 pm said:

will you guys have trophies and are you guys gonna put a lot.

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

Yes we have trophies in the game.

+ HAWK531 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

Dear Greg,

Is it possible rain and other new realistic weather effects will make it into MLB 11? Rain is so common in baseball and it would add a whole new level of immersion….

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

Rain is being discussed for MLB 11.

+ HAWK531 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

I also forgot to mention just like Rain Delays and Rain outs where games will be delayed to a later time or a game will be cancelled all together…

+ Green94 on February 23rd, 2010 at 7:08 pm said:

My favorite blog every year…. you guys have outdone yourselves once again. Unbelievable!

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words!

+ Francinium on February 23rd, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

I know you guys have easier difficulty settings but even on rookie my friends had trouble playing and lost interest.

Maybe you should add an even more arcadey mode so I could try to get them into it.

+ me3889 on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:03 pm said:

if any1 that keeps posting about the demo read my post earlier you would have seen it will indeed be out thurs,confirmed by scea..its a dead question,i want it really bad too but if you read posts you would of answered your question because greg as you can see will not answer any demo questions

+ pm85 on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

will you be able to ask for a replay or will it automatically do that? and also manager arguements would be awesome, but reagrdless this game makes last year look bad… keep up the great work, i cant wait for this game and then for baseball season itself

+ pm85 on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

sorry to double post but i mean replay to overturn foul/fair calls

+ shanderson on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:19 pm said:

One thing you guys should add is when Alfonso Soriano goes for a fly ball he does a hop and drops the ball. Other than that the show is the best game ever.

+ venombunny on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

will some crowds be doing the “Wave”?

+ spunnups on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:52 pm said:

This game is perfect for a dynamic theme. After GoW3 I’m definitely picking the show up this year. It looks incredible!

+ STL10 on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

I think for MLB 11 you should incorporate the MLB Network or something like that. You could have a pre game show similar to NFL 2k5 and a post game show. Something to think about for next year and for the record I’ve never heard the “Let’s Go Birds” chant at a Cardinals game so can you fix that? Alright thanks you guys are great!

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Great ideas, something to think about in our design meetings for next year.

+ ronburgendy101 on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:36 pm said:

hey greg are the rumors true on the 25th ps store will have the demo for the best baseball game evr made?

+ ronburgendy101 on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:39 pm said:

will there be ccutain calls….especially in the playoffs in a big moment in the game comment greg plz

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Yes we have curtain calls.

+ ronburgendy101 on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:43 pm said:

forgot to mention im from brooklyn n i love the fact that u guys made the old school stadiums but where classics like tiger stadium,comisky n especially since im from brooklyn ebbets field?the mets citi field is a wannnabe u guys should bring the real thing in a add on or sumtin will that be possible????

Greg Batalucco's Avatar

+ Greg Batalucco on February 24th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

It is possible we may add in more classic stadiums for MLB 11.