PS4-Watch_Dogs

Sweeping the Interactive Achievement Awards

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar + Posted by Shuhei Yoshida on Feb 23, 2010 // President, SCE Worldwide Studios

Wow, what an evening it was last week at the annual Interactive Achievement Awards. UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves received ten Interactive Achievement Awards, including Overall Game of the Year. I was sitting in the audience watching the Naughty Dog team walk up to podium to accept one award after another. By the end of the show, the entire UNCHARTED 2 core team was on the stage with the biggest award in their hands, thanking their incredibly talented team and family members who supported their intense development cycle. AIAS Award, like the Academy Award for movies, is chosen and voted by the professional game developer community. It’s a celebration of creativity in game development and to let the world know who brought the most exceptional talent, passion and love to make a game in the past year. I have been attending this event for many years, but being associated with the game that has taken the highest honor of the year is an incredibly special moment for anyone in the industry. I was as ecstatic last year to see LittleBigPlanet receive the Overall Game of the Year honor, which also garnered a total of eight awards. It is mind boggling to think that we can now count three Overall Game of the Year awards from the academy — UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves in 2009, LittleBigPlanet in 2008 and God of War in 2005. Amazing.

I am fortunate to be part of the great creativity and innovation coming out of our first party studios time and time again. The accolades are so well deserved. Congratulations Evan, Christophe, Amy, Bruce, Richard and all the talented members of Naughty Dog!

UNCHARTED 2 IAA - Overall GOY

Last week’s ceremony was also very special to me as Mark Cerny, my long term friend and business partner, was handed the prestigious Hall of Fame award. The list of past recipients included Shigeru Miyamoto, Will Wright, and John Carmack — legendary game creators that have shaped the game industry today. I have had the great honor and joy to work with Mark since I started in game development in PS one days, across Crash Bandicoot, Spyro the Dragon, Jak and Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Resistance, UNCHARTED, and tech projects on PlayStation 2 and PS3. Mark has helped realize the creative visions of teams behind these great franchises, including producing, designing and programming many of them himself. I would not be doing what I do today if it were not for the great fortune (again) to be able to work with Mark for so many years. Congratulations Mark!

UNCHARTED 2 IAA - 2nd win

2009 was really a great year for us, not only did we have UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves, we also released Killzone 2, inFAMOUS, flOwer (which also received Casual Game of the Year last week!), Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, PixelJunk Shooter, LittleBigPlanet PSP, Gran Turismo PSP, Patapon 2 and so on. 2010 is already shaping up to be an exciting year as we just released MAG and with Heavy Rain, MLB 10: The Show and God of War III around the corner. We’ve also got ModNation Racers, Gran Turismo 5, and motion controller games that include many unannounced titles, as well as many new PSP and PSN titles hitting throughout this fiscal year.

We certainly have not been immune to the impacts of the economy, but I believe the gaming industry will continue to offer strong growth in the long term. And as far as PlayStation is concerned, I believe we have a truly strong line up in the pipeline, combined with a hardware installed base that is continuing to grow, and an evolving offering of new online features and services. 2010 is looking to be a great year for fans of PlayStation. We’re working hard to keep you entertained and excited with new games and services for many years to come.

And yes, The Last Guardian team is also working hard, too.

PAGE 1 2

+ finishpropcg on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

We want 3d now!!

+ mywhitenoise on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:08 pm said:

Well deserved.

And no, I DON’T want 3D.

+ Frejim on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

CONGRATZ!!!

+ Craazy on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:14 pm said:

and to thank all of the loyal fans here is a FREE dynamic theme, or a game, or a new avatar?

+ T3mpr1x on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

Heh are you guys tired of receiving all these awards by now? I know I wouldn’t be! :) Congratulations, you guys and gals deserve every award and more for this stellar work of interactive art!

+ J_CZAR on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

whooo awesome! CONGRATS NAUGHTY DOG!

+ DNAgent on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

Uncharted 2 was my Game of the Forever but then they released the newest update for multiplayer and now I wouldn’t hold the game above Demon’s Souls.

+ Azure_Flame_Kite on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:20 pm said:

Congratulations, so what is Naughty Dog working on now?

+ FredPunella on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:23 pm said:

Sony’s first party dominance is in full force now.

Sony has some 20 or so first party studios

Nintendo has about 10

Microsoft has 3 <- LOL! Fail

+ gor1llap1mp on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

Wow, Yoshida San! Is this your first blog here? Just want to say hello, thank you and congrats for everything PlayStation!

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:54 pm said:

Thanks gor1llap1mp, yes, this is my first post as the President of WWS.

+ tj317530 on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

This is going to be a great year for Sony.
And lets not forget that Sony has other possibly AAA games up their sleeves they haven’t yet revealed!

LIKEPROFILE.com

A social networking site(like facebook) made by two students for a national competition. Help them win by making a free account now. There are no ads on site, so they are not trying to make money and nor is this spam. They’re just trying to spread the word. If you have free time and nothing to do, help them by making an account!

Thank You!

LIKEPROFILE.com

+ TheGuardianFID on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:33 pm said:

Congrats guys on all of your success, you deserve it, enjoy it!!! 8)

+ Shin-Ra on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

I hope the SIREN Japan Studio team are alive and well Yoshida-san. A lot of untapped potential with them I think.

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:56 pm said:

Thanks Shin-Ra! Yes, they are alive and well, no further comment ;)

+ yukiboy23 on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!

+ Kuyateha on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

Uncharted 2 is the best game I have played in a really long. It is just the best all around game. You deserved every single award.

+ Kchow23 on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

Congrats, you guys are awesome keep it up

+ Blkant on February 23rd, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

So when will we hear about any of these unannounced titles?

Also, do you really expect us to believe GT5 will be out this year, or next year, or ever? :P

+ Berae on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

Congratulations! I will support this company for as long as innovation and originality are still an important element.

Question… Will we get some news about the Video store in Canada anytime soon? Thank you

+ mafecto on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:03 pm said:

Shuhei Yoshida!? Wow, awesome. I’ve been a devout Playstation fan since day 1. One of the awesomest things of the past few years has been vigorously standing by Sony in 2006 and 2007 when you guys were getting massacred by the entire internet, and now seeing that Sony has come back swinging and is just crushing it right now. What a comeback.

Thanks for all the years of entertainment. The day Sony stops making Playstations is the day I stop gaming.

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 8:58 pm said:

Thanks mafecto for your dedication and support for us, hopefully we are returning the favor bit by bit. More to come!

+ KwietStorm on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Why no Uncharted 2 dynamic theme?

+ TakiFuGu on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

You guys deserve it. Great job!

+ explosive78 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:09 pm said:

LAST GUARDIAN!!! Now thats what I am talking about.

+ jBat17 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

it only does back to back GoTYs!

you can mark it as a 3-peat. GOW3 will pwn.

+ Fluidshine on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:10 pm said:

Next to win is God of War 3!

+ remanutd5 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

Congratulations to Sony Santa Monica , Media Molecule , Naughty Dog and all others sony studios , they have given me so much entertainment over the years , playstation fan till you guys stop making games or i am no longer part of this world , can i make a request Mr President ? me and i know im not alone on this , we the fans want a Heavenly Sword sequel , can you guys make it possible ? anyways congrats and please dont forget Nariko

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:00 pm said:

Hi remanutd5, thanks for your nice comment!

+ saturnneo on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

i want a ps3 that works. Mine bought the farm with the YLOD……… :(

+ xiked on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

Congratz Naughty Dog! I wish the very best! I love Uncharted 2 and have got platinum on it too! :D

I hope there will be fantastic exclusive but yet announced games releasing this year.

and bring cross game voice chat and more stable PSN!

+ Velzorn on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

Congrats!

Can we finally get a Uncharted 2 dynamic theme and avatars? There are tons of fans/players more then willing to pay for them. Why pass on money?

+ BrianC6234 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

Just think, this time next year you can be talking about a 4th Game of the Year award. I say it will be God of War 3.

As for Uncharted 2, that has to be my favorite game of all time. I don’t know of any other game that I’ve kept playing over and over again and I haven’t even played online. Now I’m starting Crushing mode. Most games if you finish them that’s enough. Not this game.

+ TailsTheCat on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

These are the awards that matter. Not that Spike VGA garbage.

Although I question the credibility since they gave Modern Warfare 2 online game of the year. MW2 is broken and incomplete.

+ NEJI64 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

thats a type of exclusive game PS3 different need is a horror game. Siren is a nice PSN full game. PS3 need a game that will scare the life out you. something scary like Paranormal Activity.

+ KILLZONE79 on February 23rd, 2010 at 4:57 pm said:

Posted by Shuhei Yoshida President, SCE Worldwide Studios

thats who took over phil harrisons place. oh i didnt know that. thats news to me!

+ NEJI64 on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

thats a type of exclusive game PS3 definitely need is a horror game. Siren is a nice PSN full game. PS3 need a game that will scare the life out you. something scary like Paranormal Activity.

sry typo

+ xrexx1995 on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

CONGRATULATION!!! YEA!! well deserv.Any chance this award and any other video games awards show on the video store?Will be nice to watch and will be great to have in the video store electronic conventions and video games conventions so we can watch and that could be a great way to promote games and even ps3 consoles.

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:02 pm said:

Great suggestion, xrexx1995…

+ footballrule on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:11 pm said:

Question, any chance of 3D hitting PS3 this year? Hope it doesn’t get delayed. I was think they should save 3D gaming and that motion stuff for the PS4. :D

+ yen-cid on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:16 pm said:

Heavy rain for 2010!

+ sfgdfds on February 23rd, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

congratz! and if you ever do a remake of uncharted 1 with the new graphics standard I will buy without even blinking once.

oh same for uncharted 3. uncharted 4…

+ Bris_Blade on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:05 pm said:

Gratz Naughty Dog!!!, also looking forward to Thursday’s DLC.

+ Airwalkinman17 on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

Oh heck yeah!!! Yoshida, you are the man! Congrats on everything Playstation and thank you for bringing fantastic entertainment. THANK YOUs to you and all your awesome first party developers they rock. Bring on everything you’ve got and i’ll have my checkbook ready. Can’t wait for all these exclusives coming out to ps3!

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ shyoshida on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:03 pm said:

Thanks Airwalkinman17, for your very nice words…

+ midnightshade on February 23rd, 2010 at 6:46 pm said:

Congrats Naughty Dog, and Thank you Sony for bringing out top notch entertainment. I have been a loyal supporter for all 3 gens now, for a reason. You guys know how to cater to a fanbase of real gamers, and that is a wonderful thing!

+ perrandy on February 23rd, 2010 at 7:52 pm said:

“I believe we have a truly strong line up in the pipeline, combined with a hardware installed base that is continuing to grow, and an evolving offering of new online features and services. 2010 is looking to be a great year for fans of PlayStation. We’re working hard to keep you entertained and excited with new games and services for many years to come”
i’m pretty intrigued as to what new feautures and services will you guys will be offering and also what will stay free and what will not? :0)

+ Zookey on February 23rd, 2010 at 9:02 pm said:

Congrats Yoshida-san and crew! My team (Team KAIZEN http://www.teamkaizengames.com) is currently workin’ on a tech demo to pitch to you guys–the reason we want to work for Sony is just this–you guys have high standards and consistently rock the show! Seems like we are always within 3 months of an amazing game launching on PlayStation 3 or PSP–makes it so my year is never dull! We know someday we’ll be dev’ing for ya too and it WILL be a huge honor!

+ Kchow23 on February 23rd, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

Omedetou gozaimasu, Yoshida-san! :P

Shuhei Yoshida's Avatar

+ Shuhei Yoshida on February 25th, 2010 at 12:34 am said:

Arigato gozaimasu.

Shu

+ Skater_Ricky on February 23rd, 2010 at 10:42 pm said:

President Shuhei Yoshida I only have a basic Question that i’m not sure your allowed to answer. Its been kinda of a Grey Area for me tell its been Officaly Posted on the PlayStation Blog as a Offical Post.

I’d Like to Know how Along the Team Behind Making Firmware Update are doing with Making Our Cross Game Voice Chat Impliment and our NetFlix Built into our PS3 Operating System and Firmware :D

To me They are the GODS :D

To the Firmware TEAM You Rock!!

Thanks for Reading Ricky,

+ MohammedMK on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:02 pm said:

I’m happy to see Naught Dog winning nearly all awards, they did a great job for sure. I’m looking forward to the upcoming games too, and my most wanted game for 2010 is The Last Guardian. I’m happy to hear that Team Ico are working on it, I hope they don’t delay the release date =(

+ MarinoBrea on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:19 pm said:

Congratz, you’ve earned it.

+ Shin-Ra on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:24 pm said:

I’m overjoyed just to hear the SIREN team’s well, I look forward to whatever their next game may be. :)

+ Vabor on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:41 pm said:

Deserving of every award. Great showing! Outstanding game.

+ DieUnbeliever on February 23rd, 2010 at 11:50 pm said:

Awesome! Congratulations! I couldn’t think of anyone who deserved it more! :) Sony is amazing! :D

PAGE 1 2