Far Cry 4

Castle Crashers for PSN: Progress Report

Emil Ayoubkhan's Avatar + Posted by Emil Ayoubkhan on Feb 25, 2010 // The Behemoth

Hello PlayStation.Blog residents. Emil Ayoubkhan here from The Behemoth. We were graciously granted access to the blog to update everyone on our progress with Castle Crashers for PSN.

I’m here today to talk about our new volleyball minigame that we will be including in our upcoming version of Castle, but before I get into that, let’s talk about the release date. This is pretty straightforward actually as we don’t have one yet. We’re looking to finish sometime this year and as soon as we can narrow it down to a specific month, we will be able to talk about this more.

Castle Crashers - Volleyball Image

Now back to the to volleyball minigame. Here are some of the finer points:

Play co-op or vs your buddies

• Local or online play
  • From 1-4 players per team for up to 8 player matches
  • Variable stats based on character
  • Use magic attacks to place 8 new magic status effects on the volleyball
  • Cool new serving and spiking moves
  • Available AI teammates or opponents
  • Play as any character you have unlocked
  • Play 1, 3 or 5 matches against your opponents
  • Leaderboards to track the best in the land

It’s basically like playing volleyball with your friends but you get to replace good sportsmanship with explosions, magic, and weaponry. As we get closer to the release, we’ll start revealing some more features and additions. What will they be? How will they work? What will they do? Stay tuned for more.

-Emil

PAGE 1 2 3 4

+ PhrygianX on February 25th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

Great that its coming but this is equivelant to Braid or Bioshock for me… Xbox had it FOREVER ago and we finally get it now? Kind of lost it’s luster

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

We are currently adding as much luster to this version of the game as we can. We hope you get a chance to check it out.

+ SilentSamurai on February 25th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Castle Crashers is one of my favorite games and its great that playstation users are gonna finally get a chance to play it. It is a wonderful game with very good humor and great fun to play with buddies.

I expect that I will be picking it up for PS3 when it comes out even tho I already have it on another system.

+ TwinDad on February 25th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

Thank you for the progress report. I wish we knew when it was coming but I understand programming.

+ Chris Morell on February 25th, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

I know you guys have been asking for a while now, so at least it\’s on the radar!

+ KazeEternal on February 25th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

When are you guys going to make something new for PS3?

+ Sindred on February 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

I bought this on my 360 and I’ll buy it again on my PS3 to play with some of my PS3 buddies. I don’t mind double-dipping with this game. Please keep up the support on PS3. Only reason I’m picking this up again is because you guys make great games. Otherwise I would feel the “been there done that.”

+ Azrael_92 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

I can’t wait till it comes out. Any ideas when it might come out?

+ TuxBobble on February 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

Honestly, I really wish this was coming out sooner. I hope I’m still excited when it comes out.

I’d just like to ask…do you think in the future we could have updates slightly more frequently? (Even just to let us know you’re still hard at work lol) It’s been a long time since I heard anything about this project, and my excitement was beginning to fade until I read this post.

Just keep the updates coming, even if they’re not too substantial, please!!!

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:42 pm said:

We will try to update more frequently. Substantial or not. Thank you

+ DMPrince on February 25th, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

will the online be broken? Please don’t say it’s a feature.

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

although it was mean and it made me sad that you wrote this. i hope you get a chance to check the game out regardless.

(i think i just unintentionally had a rhyming scheme in that paragraph…weird)

+ acerazer1 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

thanks for the update emil

+ starBlinky01 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:19 am said:

I cant wait to finally play this.

Why the hell are people being so rude? They are working as hard as they can to bring this to playstation fans and you guys act like you dont care or that its too late now…STFU

I can’t wait to play this and I’ll be buying it 100% for sure.

+ scottsle on February 25th, 2010 at 11:20 am said:

Day one I’ll own this. I’ve played the Xbox version like crazy. My kids love it. We can’t wait for the new additions.

+ Sekoku on February 25th, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

Don’t really care. The 360 version wasn’t that great. Alien Hominid HD wasn’t really that great either.

I’ll buy if it’s budget price (fat freaking chance, esp. given it’s a one-two year old port) mostly for the achievements. :|

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

We\’re working hard to make sure it\’s not a \”one-two year old port\”

Hopefully you get a chance to check the game out. Thanks for the comments.

+ CitizenInsane27 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

@starBlinky01

Agreed, people need to just be happy that they get games at all. They could’ve just kept this one on the opposite team, but they didn’t. I bought Braid (which was still AMAZING, even a year later) and I’ll probably buy this. The only reason people should be complaining would be if they just don’t like great games.

+ imajinetion on February 25th, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

Castle Crashers is fantastic, but I can’t imagine why it’s taking so long. It’s just a port, and many games are released on the same day for many formats, so why is this taking several months?

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

We\’re a small team and we like to take our time when we develop our games. Our programmers, testers, and Dan are working as fast as we can.

+ Argnoth on February 25th, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

I’ve been waiting for this one for a while. As long as you guys make it less than 20 bucks I’ll buy it day one. This game is one of the few reasons I’d even want an Xbox360. Glad to have it on PS3, hopefully sooner than later! :)

+ BigBoss712 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

ah no release date yet, at least is good to hear from you guys again, I’m really looking forward to this game!! =)

+ dragonmagician on February 25th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

Love the update. Been following the PS3 version for a while (and sounds like maybe I need to forward for a while more until release), but the updates have been difficult to come by (maybe should have announced the PS3 version a little later?).

Either way, I hope for more updates soon to make the wait easier.

+ wU-sOLdiEr210 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Not getting it
Sony your a day late and a dollar short

next firmware update should have a hdd recovery system that actually works. This is the third time I’m having to format my hdd and lose my saved games. Thanks Sony (thumbs up like career point)

+ Zookey on February 25th, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

THANK YOU for rewarding our long wait for this game with more than just a straight port–makes me feel good knowing my patience is going to be rewarded in such cool ways hehe :-) Something tells me I’ll get a lot of hours out of Castle Crashers thanks!

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Thanks. We\’re really trying to make a unique experience for the PSN version.

+ DaveMastrX on February 25th, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

I can’t wait to score some Castle Crasher trophies, but I hope it doesn’t take as long to see your newer title make it to PSN as well. Keep making great games, you guys over at The Behemoth have awesome style.

+ Airwalkinman17 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

Finally, an update for this game! I was worried it wouldn’t come out anymore! PLEASE hurry so I can buy it and big thanks for releasing it on the ps3!

+ ynp7 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Is there going to be a lower price point on PSN since it’s coming 2 years late?

+ DNAgent on February 25th, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

Sorry, I don’t buy leftovers.

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

Leftovers are usually something you enjoyed so much you wanted to keep for the next day. We hope you get hungry and want a 2d snack. Did any of that make any sense? Thanks for the comments

+ Dracorius on February 25th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

GASP?! This is going on psn?! Great work, Behemoth! Now let’s hope for a psn version of Alien Hominid! Yaayyy!!!

+ HJayZ91 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

Thanks for the update, I’ve been waiting for this game 2 come out, but will it launch @ $10? it’s been out on XBL for so long, when ever it comes out on PSN, it shoudn’t cost $15 like XBL version, also, will it include all the DLC that came out on XBL in the original release? Thanks Emil!!!

+ terribledeli on February 25th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

@22

Doubt it. The only company that cut us slack was Gas Powered Games with the first Penny Arcade Adventure. And even that, I believe, was because they knew $20 was too much.

+ Hunter_xx_ on February 25th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

at least promise us that it is coming this year, I have waited forever for this game on PSN

+ ajk278s on February 25th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

Hey, is playstation getting BattleBlock Theater or are we going to have to wait two years for that also?

+ Vallanthaz on February 25th, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

I think the amount of time this is taking a little ridiculous.

But then again, I’m not a programmer, so what do I know?

Thanks for bringing this over to the PSN, regardless. I look forward to playing it, whenever it releases. :)

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

We\’re working as fast as we can. Sorry it takes us so long we are a small team and like to take our time with our games. Thank you for your support!

+ tj5678 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

Any chance of a psp version of the game or at least remote play? I think both this game and alien hominoid would look great on my psp. Thanks for making great games.

+ wocyob on February 25th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

kind of a tease lol… its thursday and you had to do this today… when i saw this post i thought YAY WE ARE GOING TO GET THIS TODAY!!!!

now im sad…. i dont like being sad

+ Packet0066 on February 25th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

Forget minigames, Get the game out! Nobody wants to play volleyball…

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

Dang! Well I guess this update wasn\’t for you then. It\’s pretty damn fun though. We hope you get a chance to check it out. Thanks for the comment.

+ SarshelYam on February 25th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Emil…please, please PLEASE! Can we get some custom Crashers for this release? I’m thinking Kratos, Drake, Nariko, Ratchet, Jak, etc. I think it would be super awesome for you guys to support this release with a little something for our wait, and I’d assume some hidden “costumes” or characters shouldn’t be too taxing on the game.

+ Velzorn on February 25th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Thank you, thank you for the update. While a date would be great this is certainly far better then nothing. I’m also very happy to see that there will be additional content for the PS3 version. I can’t wait for this. Day one purchase for sure. Please keep us posted.

+ Korbei83 on February 25th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

HURRY! HURRY! HARD!… Sorry, too much curling.

Go Canada!

+ grashopper on February 25th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

Ahh been dying for info…great to see stuff is still happening ;) Looking forward to a release date!

+ nokedimyo on February 25th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Great to get an update on this game – I’ve wanted it ever since I played it on a friend’s xbox. Will we still have the Alien Hominid character even though PS3 doesn’t have Alien Hominid HD to unlock it?

+ CurlehMustache on February 25th, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

The wait is killing me! CC is the first thing I look for every Thursday.

+ jakinov on February 25th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Make sure you let people use two USER PROFILES so people playing locally both get trophies and separate saves files.

+ VanilaGorila-x- on February 25th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Is this going to be a port from the 360 version or is this an entirely new game?

Peace,
VG

+ Zarxce on February 25th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Don’t let the whiners get you down. Castle Crashers is a great game and I can’t wait to see what else gets added.

I just convince myself that “good things come to those who wait” I’m sure you guys won’t disappoint.

+ JesseHaysFL on February 25th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

F the naysayers I’ll buy day one.

+ jqtaxpayer on February 25th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

Take your time… as a person who experienced the 360 version of this game, I know it will be well worth the wait.

+ sam_i_jam on February 25th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Looking forward to this.

+ zeroisnine on February 25th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

Thanks for the update. It’s definitely good to hear some news on it. Personally, I don’t know how much I’m interested in the volleyball, but regardless I’m happy to hear you are doing your best to make it a great experience. I’m sure it’ll win me over when I get it.

Can you speak on Battleblock Theater and any chance it might eventually get on PSN? I mean, I’d take a vague comment that just has the words “Battleblock Theater” and “Playstation 3″ in it but are completely unconnected in the sentence.

Like say,

“The Playstation 3 and Battleblock Theater are a gaming console and a game respectively, and on top of that I like cheese!”

Oh, and do you like cheese?

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

+ Kornkid52 on February 25th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

sweet,the PSN version will include a mini-game…What about BattleBlock Theater is there any chance we will get it around same time XBL gets it? If we do get it on the SICstation or will it be jus for Crapbox(not a fanboy,i own 1)

+ Zezzler on February 25th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

AWESOME~! I have been wanting castle crashers on psn for AGES! now its finally comming with some new stuff. hopefully we can see Game 3 comming to psn too!

Give Tom fulp my kudos~

+ sNsKid on February 25th, 2010 at 12:29 pm said:

So can I get an estimated price on this?

+ BlooodyCow on February 25th, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

I am happy that my fellow PS3 owners will get a chance to play this game if they haven’t already played it on the Xbox 360 (like me). However, I am disappointed that it is taking this long to port the game since it was announce last June. At some point, you guys have to realize that this investment will not pay off because people are going to feel that they are getting leftovers and aren’t going to be happy about that. Just look at BRAID, that game only sold well when it had that 50% off sale. If I was you guys, I would scrap this game and just work on your next project. Hopefully, you next project doesn’t make PS3 owners wait a 2+ years to play it while the 360 owners are enjoying it years before them.
If you guys insist on releasing a PS3 version, add the following:
In-game music
Youtube video upload support
Duel PSN sign

+ Emil Ayoubkhan on February 25th, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Don\’t be disappointed. The perception that a game needs to finish in a certain amount of time is the illusion that society has created for us. Everything is defined as a space. We put walls up to separate us from nature….wait what are we talking about again?

We are a very small team and we work as fast and as efficiently as we can.

We must insist that you give the game a chance and check it out when it\’s released.

+ angelspawn77 on February 25th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

I played this game at a friends house awhile back and I loved it! I was waiting for the ps3 version to get it, but its taking so long, I hope you guys get this out soon, I want this game it was really fun especially with friends.

PAGE 1 2 3 4