PS4-Watch_Dogs

PlayStation Network Status Update

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 28, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

We’re aware that many of you are having difficulty connecting to the PlayStation Network this evening. Those of you with “slim” PS3s (the 120/250 GB models) appear to be unaffected.

Know that we have narrowed down the issue and have engineers working to restore service even as you read this. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you, and genuinely appreciate your patience while we work to resolve this.

In the meantime, you may want to follow our Twitter account for the latest updates.

253 Comments

+ BigBoss712 on March 1st, 2010 at 6:19 am said:

I will wait but this is NOT good.

+ DanlyKirbster on March 1st, 2010 at 6:29 am said:

12 hours without an update at least?

+ LumarQQ on March 1st, 2010 at 6:30 am said:

Y2K BUG!!!!

+ mrdeadhead on March 1st, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

so… yea… i guess i shouldn’t turn mine on?

+ neeerd08 on March 1st, 2010 at 6:48 am said:

Hi, i hope this helps but my 80g PS3 works fine. I don’t know if this just a stateside thing, but I’m overseas and it works ok. At first I couldn’t log in but the following morning it was alright.

+ stri on March 1st, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

Agree with #23

+ Korbei83 on March 1st, 2010 at 6:54 am said:

I’m fine, but please fix it so my neurotic cousin will stop phoning me.

+ GK3033 on March 1st, 2010 at 6:54 am said:

Hey, my friends

I have learned that some phat-PS3s (40GB) that got this issue need to undraw the cover and then remove the clock plug (the green thing on the pic link below) and place it again. It will work nomally.

+ davivman on March 1st, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

I’m really scared to turn on my 60GB PS3 now. I last played on Saturday. I was getting some trophies for InFamous and had no problems at that time. I have no idea if my unit is hit with this bug, but I don’t think I will turn it back on until I hear some news on a fix.

+ Quixote on March 1st, 2010 at 6:59 am said:

9 AM Central-

Any news on cause, or more importantly, a fix?

+ stri on March 1st, 2010 at 7:02 am said:

Ok, so I think this issue is happening due to the leap year lines of coding regarding trophy syncing…right?

Some offline games aren’t working because certain newer ones automatically sync.
Or the firmware is coded to sync newer games automatically when loaded.

Come on Sony, how could you not see the bad in that idea?

When this gets repaired and all who’ve lost data compensated appropriately…perhaps you should consider changing the way things operate yes?
If that isn’t part of the resolution I mean!

LMAO tools…I’m laughing, but it’s a hopeful, in denial laugh.
If issues become a permanent reality though…just be prepared to live a nightmare…more than now I mean!

People will literally lose their minds!
Talk about an industry killer!
Well done Sony!
Way to pwn your own intelligence / business!

+ Destiny89 on March 1st, 2010 at 7:02 am said:

Im so very worried here, i bought my ps3 real early so please fix it! i dont want a new system

+ gue-xplicit on March 1st, 2010 at 7:03 am said:

Do you want them spending their time every 1/2 hour telling you the same update over and over again, or do you want them to use their time to fix the problems.

Most do not understand what it is like to go through 10′s of thousands of lines of code to first pinpoint a problem, and then to fix the problem. I know you guys are frustrated, but like a lot of others have said, and I will too, I don’t know of any company that gives hour by hour status updates when fixing bugs….not saying that there is not a company that does, but it shows that 99.9% don’t.

Just hang tight, relax and take deep breaths…all will be fine….some of you may need intervention if you can’t go 24 hours without PSN… LOL

+ stri on March 1st, 2010 at 7:05 am said:

Most likely due to the previous firmware upgrade…so to those worried about turning on the PS3. Not really sure, but I don’t think it matters.

That’s why people that aren’t even connected to the web and update via PenDrive are still affected.
It’s the firmware and the game trophy coding in connection.

All I know is, this had better not show any long term damage!
If it does, I expect to be well compensated.

+ stri on March 1st, 2010 at 7:10 am said:

…and, @ gue-xplicit(160):

I do have coding knowledge…I’m a programmer, so I understand what you’re sayin’.

Having said that…I still believe this could have been avoided.

+ MGSTigerFox on March 1st, 2010 at 7:10 am said:

Yep. I was busy playing Uncharted 2 on Crushing tonight… trying to get that last Gold trophy and the last 25 or so treasures I needed to unlock my Platinum! However, about two hours ago is when I first noticed something was up – when I found my 70th treasure, I got the in-game award, but the trophy never unlocked. When I found the 80th and 90th treasures, the same problem. Then, when I got to the area where you fight the army and the guardians at the same time before the final confrontation with Harry, my entire PS3 froze, and I hadn’ saved for over three hours… I did a hard reset, and came back to find my last save was dated ’12/31/1999″. I loaded it up, and thankfully I was back where I was… but then I looked at my trophies, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF MY UNCHARTED 2 TROPHIES HAD BEEN DELETED!!!!

Whatever the deal is here, Sony really dropped the ball on it, big time. Until tonight, the PlayStation Network has been exceptionally awesome for me. This just seriously, seriously pisses me off. If the problem isn’t patched by sometime tomorrow, then I’m definitely going to focus on Mass Effect 2, finally…

+ NeoHumpty on March 1st, 2010 at 7:10 am said:

Well, we all know Sony’s secret strategy now. They will update the servers and erase all of your trophies unless you pay for the new “Premium” service to get them back. lol.

Seriously, though. I am wondering if they were adding some new code and made this happen. I’m not buying the leap year theory.

It would be nice to have a clue what’s going on.

+ KidCommando on March 1st, 2010 at 7:23 am said:

It’s time to unwind like December 31st of 1999!

+ gue-xplicit on March 1st, 2010 at 7:29 am said:

@ stri, that is why I said most don’t know, because I knew there would be some out there that do as well… :)

Whether it could be avoided or not, we won’t know until the issues is resolved…we both know that even if it could be avoided things happen, and when it does, it is hard to trace….my main point was the other 100′s screaming at Sony, and how they could do this to them…

+ xuipid on March 1st, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

is it sad that I am afraid to turn on my ps3 since this started?

Not a good feeling for a system I paid $500 for…

+ Prem-aka-Prince on March 1st, 2010 at 7:32 am said:

lol fair enough… apart from the shameless twitter plug. Twitter sucks!! lol
how is it there’s 574 vs 166 comments on EU blog vs US blog?? weird. indicative of the population difference maybe?? xD

+ gue-xplicit on March 1st, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

Here is a link that was posted on GAP… not sure of the accuracy…but thought I would post it here for you all to see

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 7:38 am said:

What’s going to happen to those of us who turned on our PS3 first thing this moring before knowing of this issue? I’ve read “URGENT DO NOT TURN YOUR PS3 ON UNTIL READING THIS – http://www.axac22.dsl.pipex.com/brokenps3.html ” woop’s to late I turned mine on! Grate Granny Grunt!

+ Vex_Doppel on March 1st, 2010 at 7:42 am said:

You all thought Y2K was a myth, looks like its come back to haunt us. Good thing Sony wasn’t in charge of the world back then. I keed I keed.
I’m taking this all with a grain of salt. That is, until tomorrow. I’ve been waiting to play Bad company 2, and if this isn’t fixed by then Kratos himself would cower in fear from the vexation I would bestow upon this world.

+ Sponge-worthy on March 1st, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

I was playing Burnout Paradise when the “PSN error” occurred. The game froze, and I had to hard-reset the system. Of course, after the reboot I could not connect to PSN. On the flip side, during the process of troubleshooting I did see that a new firmware update for my router was available, so that kept me busy for a couple minutes.

If/when Sony fixes the network problem, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some sort of firmware update to coincide with it. Clearly, there is some kind of bug in the older models if a server-side error can reset the client’s system time, cause the client to refuse to play software, etc.

If this all is a ‘Y29′-type problem, it’s really quite shocking. Either way, I would have thought that a normal testing regime would have borne these problems out before they reached critical mass.

Again, I call on Sony to scrap efforts like “Qore” and “The Tester.” Put those resources into acquiring more and better software engineers.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 7:43 am said:

I have friends in SC and in TX that have the same system and they ARE on HOME now.. Strange to me that it’s not effecting everyone?

+ Lance_Akiro on March 1st, 2010 at 7:49 am said:

Seeing all these comments it shows people coming back to realty with life or people curling up in a ball sitting in a corner waiting for this to fix. all in all it’s sad that this is technology I don’t care how far we are in technology but there will always be a flaw no one is perfect. all i see this as a one day thing where the phat model PS3 will not log in for one full day and later will log back in the next day something like this has to happen. but the leap year is one of the worst computer error for most products even though this year is not a leap year.

+ LPdude3211 on March 1st, 2010 at 7:50 am said:

Wow, no updates in the past 12 hours.

WTF Sony, at least tell us what is going on.

Are we talking total hardware failure?

Am I going to have to go and buy a slim?

You guys might have a major problem on your hands if we need new systems, because I sure as hell am noting going to pay for one

+ Gunwing on March 1st, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

Can’t post on the new forums, or sign in for that matter as well………. Everything else only kinda works on the new updated PS.US site please fix Sony!

+ Gunwing on March 1st, 2010 at 7:53 am said:

Glad I got my PS3 120 slim model……. These older launch Phat PS3s have all sorts of problems……..

+ Zinacef on March 1st, 2010 at 7:56 am said:

Now I’m scared to turn my PS3 on. :(

+ TwinDad on March 1st, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

@KidCommando

It’s time to Party like it’s 1999.

+ NarcMonkey on March 1st, 2010 at 7:58 am said:

2 words for how you can stop all the crying about down time during this period of technical ineptitude.

FREE…. STUFF.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 7:59 am said:

I’m talking to a friend on Twitter that is on the PSN and he’s got one of the 160 phat systems. He or some of my other friends aren’t having one bit of trouble.

+ Mosh_Pit on March 1st, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

Boo, can’t play MAG for now…

+ TwinDad on March 1st, 2010 at 8:01 am said:

@Gunwing

Just wait, knowing how well sony builds hardware, give it time to fail just like the fats, and the ps2/ps1 before it.

+ ima_hustla_19 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:02 am said:

damn this is sad some of u need to stop [DELETED] about ur games n theams not working sony will fix it untill then go get a life outside of ur house,play some football or go to the beach but dont sit here n complain while u compulsivly refresh ur page.SONY WILL TAKE CARE IT!!!

+ ima_hustla_19 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:03 am said:

my phat ps3 hasent had n e probloms guess ima lucky 1

+ redknight4 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

the error doesn’t have anything to do with the clock settings manually set the date & time and it wasn’t fixed.

+ Zilas on March 1st, 2010 at 8:07 am said:

Can we get a update?
WTF Sony.

+ goose_7 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

so unfortunate for all those “fat” ps3 owners. i myself own a 60GB ps3 and won’t turn it on until these problems are fixed. I find it funny how their’s rumors going around about sony charging for PSN but how can they possibly even consider that when the free service they offer has gone haywire.
shame on you sony!!!

+ LPdude3211 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:11 am said:

UPDATE US !!!!!!

you had to have made progress within 12 hours. If not then I will assume we have reason to worry.

+ redknight4 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

the eu psn blog gives this error when you goto it.

400 Bad Request
—————————-
nginx

+ Anddo on March 1st, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

The Sony monkey has gone too far this time.

+ NewYork214 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

im not turning my PS3 on until this is fixed. but please have it fixed by time heavy rain gets here. you have until friday lol.

+ ptuck874 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

got netflix to come back up, set date and time to manual and at least i got that up, wont let me sign into psn though :(

+ xJadenx on March 1st, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

If they know what the problem is, then why haven’t they told their customers instead of just saying, “We’re working on it”.

+ Lance_Akiro on March 1st, 2010 at 8:18 am said:

because there’s to many ppl in this world and this is the best solution to communicate to everyone. for number 191

+ LPdude3211 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

This makes no sense that we cant even play offline. If we cant even play offline that makes me think that this goes beyond the network.

Maybe we would know if Sony would freaking update us. Not a real big fan of you sony people at this moment.

+ Trixzter7 on March 1st, 2010 at 8:31 am said: