PS4-The Order

Latest info on PlayStation Network Status

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 01, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

As you may be aware, some customers have been unable to connect to the PlayStation Network today. This problem affects the models other than the new slim PS3.

We believe we have identified that this problem is being caused by a bug in the clock functionality incorporated in the system.

Errors include:

• The date of the PS3 system may be re-set to Jan 1, 2000.
  • When the user tries to sign in to the PlayStation Network, the following
    message appears on the screen; “An error has occurred. You have been
    signed out of PlayStation Network (8001050F)”.
  • When the user tries to launch a game, the following error message appears
    on the screen and the trophy data may disappear; “Failed to install
    trophies. Please exit your game.”
  • When the user tries to set the time and date of the system via the
    Internet, the following message appears on the screen; “The current date
    and time could not be obtained. (8001050F)”
  • Users are not able to play back certain rental video downloaded from the
    PlayStation Store before the expiration date.

We hope to resolve this problem within the next 24 hours. In the meantime, if you have a model other than the new slim PS3, we advise that you do not use your PS3 system, as doing so may result in errors in some functionality, such as recording obtained trophies, and not being able to restore certain data.

As mentioned above, please be advised that the new slim PS3 is not affected with this error. We are doing our best to resolve the issue and do apologize for any inconvenience caused.

For the latest status on this situation please continue to check either the PlayStation.Blog or PlayStation.com.

558 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12

+ LordSatori on March 1st, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Good for you Warlock (@139). I cannot play Heavy Rain, Bioshock, GTA4, or any game that has trophy support as the system will not log into PSN.

As for this waiting for 24 hour to roll over, it makes no sense if the OS does not change the BIOS clock. By turning on my system today (3/1/10) the clock is pushed back to 12/31/99 (which is was), resetting the clock in the OS to 3/1/10, or even 3/2/10 produces no change in the bug. Thus waiting 24 hours would have the BIOS clock at 1/1/00 which still leaves the problem of leap year in 58 days (as 00 was a leap year).
Again if the OS clock does NOT change the BIOS clock, this is a very deep rooted bug, one of which at the very least better be covered under warranty for us original adopters should we need to send in the system for repairs.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

oh ye people have little faith in Sony.. I think Sony is doing a great job being we DONT have to pay to use the internet and we dont have all that many problems.

+ poweredbyzen on March 1st, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

i won’t fall for it! i’m not going to buy another PS3! i already have 2 – regular and gunmetal metal gear solid edition. unless sony seduces me with a sexy bundle! i’m spineless!

+ DZORMAGEN on March 1st, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

Hey Sony, if anything got messed up with my PS3, I demand a new one, and also a FREE DLC!!

+ Zilas on March 1st, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

Some people are saying a firmware update won’t fix PS3s because they can’t get online or people don‘t have it connected to the internet.
Ummm…Well can’t you just download the firmware right from the PlayStation Site and then transfer it onto the PS3?

+ pbmc4life on March 1st, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

Oh,man!Guess I’ll have to read a book,or watch t.v.,or clean my room,or *gasp* go outside.Wish it wasn’t winter or I could ride my Harley.Let’s get a grip,people there is more to life!

+ Nynja on March 1st, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

@warlock

Either you own a slim PS3 -or- you are playing non-trophy enabled games. Try playing something that has trophy support – like Modern Warfare 2, White Knight Chronicles, Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, Dragon Age: Origins, etc.

Those games will not work.

+ BusyManDan on March 1st, 2010 at 10:57 am said:

Just got Heavy Rain and Borderlands no luck Clock stuck @ 12/31 and games. I loaded Haevy Rain without looking at my signin. I hope it is not corrupted. It got to the trophie and couldn’t load. Thanks Sony now I know why I bought a Samsung Tv over yours. If I have to buy a Slim I want a Very good Rebate!!!!

+ Sponge-worthy on March 1st, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

@ 140 Nynja:

I don’t think anyone could reasonably argue that the 360′s embedded OS isn’t better than the PS3s. To its credit, that is sort of M$’s world, so it makes sense that they would do it well. But I agree with you: on the software side, M$ really seems to look more at the 360 as a computing experience, whereas Sony’s PS3 software initiative seems to view the PS3 as really just another piece of home electronics.

I knew that if Sony was serious about their OS’ code, they would have scrapped the XMB long ago for a modern UI and perhaps tried to lure some talent away from companies like HP to do the work. However, given that the PS3 isn’t even properly programmed for day/time functionality, then I think Sony’s seriousness in this regard speaks for itself.

It’s a shame, really.

+ jj_spaceman on March 1st, 2010 at 10:58 am said:

Good to know I shouldn’t turn on my PS3 AFTER I’d already discovered I had the problem by turning on my PS3, and then again (this morning) to see if the problem had resolved yet.

+ BlooodyCow on March 1st, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

@153 Zilas
A firmware update will not fix this issue. It is an internal clock issues and that cannot be change with a firmware. I know how to fix the issue, but that going to void your warranty if you have one.

+ vesra on March 1st, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

the ps3 does connect to the internet and, if needed, can download a firmware update. the web browser works fine. the problem is it not connecting to psn, not connecting to the trophy servers and not allowing the use of downloaded games. i can’t even play my ps1 downloads. i just spent all of january without my ps3 as it needed to be repaired (wasn’t repaired but replaced, thats an issue for another day). now its borked again at no fault of my own. glad i got two days of the killzone 2 double xp weekend in at least.

+ tylerdurden30 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

Ok so I have a Slim PS3 along with an early fat model and both of them have the same issue. Sony is downplaying this issue. It may not be all slim models but some are being affected. And the wording in the post and since this issue happened leads to the idea that Sony KNEW about this issue and opted to not address it earlier. This problem is not a 24 hour fix because we are taking about thousands of systems spanning across the world. Each country region has specific coding that has to be addressed also. For those who have the issue and expect to play BF:BC2, find something else to do cause it more than likely won’t happen, especially if Sony is planning to wait out the issue. Sony’s 2010 may be defined by this issue and how it’s handled. Sony’s PR department better have some good solutions and ideas if they expect to maintain the momentum that they have they need to make sure that this is handled exceptionally well.

+ Elway358 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

@152…You’re joking right?! A great job to you is paying $500 for a big ass black box so you can look at it? You do realize that this isn’t just a minor glitch don’t you?

Nevermind…it’s obvious that you don’t.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

@154 Good Post! I agree.. everyone is all up in the air over this now and it might all be over with by this time tomorrow. It’ll do some good being away from the PSN for a day.

+ tylerdurden30 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

Sorry the last sentence doesn’t make snese got distracted.

+ corpocannibal on March 1st, 2010 at 11:05 am said:

This is totally unacceptable. That´s all I have to say bout this mess!

+ JoeDierte on March 1st, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

@136 i am rofl (seriously!)

+ JoeDierte on March 1st, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

when are we going to start having mother board manufacturer wars instead of console wars? huh? i like ASUS. your crappy msi board sucks! ;)

+ superste2201 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

well tbf its not sonys fault.

a company called Freescale created the chips and programming which caused this.

+ Nynja on March 1st, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

@LordSatori

The OS reads the date/time from the internal clock. The internal clock is telling the OS that Today is Feb 29, 2010. The OS is not programmed to handle leap year in 2010 so it craps out and gives a default date. The problem is this;

The internal clock was improperly programmed with the leap year(s). The OS is not designed to handle a leap year date on a non-leap year. So Sony will have to release a firmware update to handle leap year every 2 years for those consoles with faulty hardcoded programming.

Hopefully that helps.

+ superste2201 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

in fact sony should sue Freescale

+ LUGIEZ on March 1st, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

Thanks for the update…it doesn’t help that this problem seemed to go into effect just as I beat Uncharted 2 on Crushing difficulty…got the medal in-game, but no trophy on the PSN and I get signed off. hopefully it gets fixed!

+ phinnv8 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

“we advise that you do not use your PS3 system”

Wow uhhh just wow. I guess I’ll go play 360 then. If this isn’t fixed by tomorow I’ll buy Bad Company 2 for that too.

+ domino_pt on March 1st, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

Clock problems are so 1999!!!

Honestly guys I’m amazed.

+ theNEONlobster on March 1st, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

i was trying to play lbp last night and kept getting told that i didn’t have any of the dlc packs. not cool…

+ LordSatori on March 1st, 2010 at 11:12 am said:

@164 No it made sense alright. This is an issue that seems to be deeply rooted, and as big of corporate QA error as Toyota’s current recall (and now before you haters go spewing I am NOT comparing the PS3 to a Car in terms of anything other than the lack of proper QA that should have been in place by both companies.)

You are right, this could be a blow to Sony’s market share in terms of sales and stock if their flagship product in home entertainment is shot by bad programming. Now if it is a BIOS clock issue, that would be the designers of the BIOS and NOT Sony, but it would fall heavily on Sony’s hardware QA department for failing to catch such an error. Of course all this is dependent on the glitch either not ‘fixing itself in 24 hours’ or a ‘firmware or flash Bios/Cmos patch’.

+ Nynja on March 1st, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

@BloodyCow

Technically firmware cannot fix the internal clock issue… BUT… a new firmware could handle leap year every 2 years essentially placing a band-aid on the problem.

You are right, but Sony does have at least 1 option without a major recall. Well except for those without an internet connection.

+ ArcticZombie on March 1st, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

I just want my Dragon Age Trophies back.
They’re gone, and it would be unforgivable if they are not returned.
I want to hear specific informaioan as to whether or not trophies are recoverable asap.

+ AntDaGamer on March 1st, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

you guys shouldn’t expect us to wait 24 hours from the date of this to play our games. I just bought alot of games now I can’t play them. I’m a serious gamer so this is a blow to the nuts.

+ LordSatori on March 1st, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

@169 Nynja
That makes absolute sense if that is the issue. Thanks for your post!

+ Wilsonvolley on March 1st, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

Wow. PS3 taken down by the same thing that took down the Zune last year. Good to know you all are working on it though.

+ lyfestory on March 1st, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

doesnt much matter to me since i havent gotten my PS3 back from being repaired yet… Sony should just send me a new one anyway… ill pay shipping even… just replace the one you broke…

+ warlock7 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

@vesra & LordSatori: I played GTA IV last night. No problems. Not ALL games are having problems. You guys are mistaken, sorry!

+ KoalaAteYoBaby on March 1st, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

There’s nothing I can say except, *sigh* I’m going to go outside. Maybe there is interaction out there that will fill the void sony has placed in my palms. I advise everyone out there to do the same until we are again free to button mash and spam Sony with hate.

+ Sponge-worthy on March 1st, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

@175 LordSatori:

REALLY have to disagree with your analogy there:

1) As broken as they are, I have yet to hear about any PS3s killing anyone.

2) The current problem with the PS3 is affecting users on a mass level. Whereas, the Toyota issue really only affected a small percentage of owners.

3) At least Sony seems to be trying to fix this quickly, rather than just telling us it is user error, adjust our floor mats, etc.

I do agree and hope that a fix will be available soon and also relatively easy to apply. I’m sure Sony realizes that this kind of thing could slam the brakes (pun, sorry) on unit sales the longer this drags out.

+ kentfallskiller on March 1st, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

can we just get it fixed? it’s been two days and I cAn’t do a thing with my ps3

+ warlock7 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

@LordSatori: Not all games with trophies require you to be logged in to play. You seem to be full of it as I was playing at least one of the games in your list last night with no problems. Heavy Rain, would not play, but GTA IV certainly does!

Your formula for leap year calculation is obviously missing some things. Leap Year calculation isn’t as simple as divisible by 4… Sorry again…

+ vesra on March 1st, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

@warlock, you are mistaken and obviously have a reading comprehension problem. i didn’t say “all games” i said I couldn’t play any downloaded or trophy enabled games. gta4 is one game. so it worked, bet you didn’t get any trophies. go and check your trophies through your ps3 and see for yourself. and yet you haven’t said if you have a slim model or the original phatty system, like those with the problem. hence forth, you are mistaken, not sorry in the least.

+ warlock7 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

LordStori appears to be a troll…

Thanks for all your help fanbots!

+ OSundertaker on March 1st, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

I had my PS3 since they 1st came out (old). hope the fix this problem today. because im off from work today :(

+ LordSatori on March 1st, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

@182
I also used my system yesterday 2/28/10. The error started today 3/1/10 when I woke up. I stopped using my system at around 10pm and turned it on at around 10 am.
The bug started today and no, I cannot play ANY disk game with trophy support.
So don’t tell me what I can not do, you are not here to see my system. You are mistaken.
I have a CECHH01 80g model with upgraded 160g Barracuda HD. It is effected by this bug.

+ rainbowhillbilly on March 1st, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

@184 You made a good point! Some people are saying this all a “THANG” to get people to buy the Slim. Do they think that Sony is going to pull all of the Fat systems out of the stores?

+ Dice_for_Death_ on March 1st, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

Toasting in an epic bread.

+ Motokok on March 1st, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

thanks alot i just bought warcraft and cant play it

+ Thrasher20 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

I hope it’s fixed by today. I want to play BFBC2 with a lot of people. I have the slim model PS3, but also a phat 80gb BC model… well it broke haha

+ purplestream on March 1st, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

if you guys cant fix this, i think you guys will give out some slims. lol

+ Motokok on March 1st, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

if it isnt broke dont mess with it Sony

+ angelspawn77 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

my ps3 says that some themes are corrupted including my 7-11 GOW3 themes will I be getting these back once its fixed? I didnt boot up any games with trophies so my trophies should be ok. I didnt try to load them up either, just some games on my xmb that dont have trophies.

+ ediddy999 on March 1st, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

I want my money back . . . oh wait?

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 12