GTAV PS4

Coming to PSN: Joe Danger

Sean Murray's Avatar + Posted by Sean Murray on Mar 05, 2010 // Managing Director, Hello Games

My name is Sean Murray. My three friends and I are making a game for PlayStation 3 called Joe Danger!

We’re a tiny indie outfit based in Guildford, UK (across the street from our friends at Media Molecule), and we’ve been having the most insanely awesome 2010 so far. To start, we revealed Joe Danger, then had lots of important people say really nice things about us. We’ve been nominated for two Independent Games Festival awards, a Direct2Drive Vision award and now we get to announce that we’re coming to PlayStation 3. It feels good to finally tell someone. Whoop, whoop!

Joe Danger is the star of our game. He’s a down and out daredevil, this hapless little dude who’s known as, “The World’s Most Determined Stuntman.” You need to take Joe on the ride of his life and go from zero to hero, across over 50 eye-poppingly gorgeous and eye-wateringly dangerous levels. It’s what we like to call a “Stunt-‘Em-Up,” and your job is to combo, boost and pull ludicrous tricks to fill stadiums and put Joe back on the podium.

You’ll help Joe to wheelie his way into the record books, as you smash through hardcore stunts and take on some of our ridiculously addictive mini-games like Coin-Dash, Bowling-Bounce, Crazy-Puzzle and Target-Grab. To regain the title “Master of Disaster” though, you’ll need prove you’re the best, race against your rivals, out-thrill your friends and defy death to defeat the dastardly Team Nasty.

Before starting Hello Games together, we all worked at much bigger companies on huge teams, making some amazing games like Burnout and Black. Creating our own games is what we always wanted to do though, and PSN gives us the opportunity to get ‘em out there to you lovely people.

About two years ago when we first left to do our own thing, we sat around talking about what our very first game might be. We knew for sure that we wanted to recapture some of the arcade magic of games we grew up with from the SNES and Genesis generation. Then Grant, our only artist, brought a box of toys in from his parent’s attic, and something kind of beautiful happened. There was an instant, awesome power to demonstrating your latest game idea with Optimus Prime in your hands. We kept coming back to one toy though — an Evel Knievel stunt cycle. We sat and played with it, building bigger and bigger ramps, launching it out of windows and down corridors. It didn’t matter that he crashed all the time; in fact, that was almost the point. Just like that, Joe Danger was born!

The really important thing about playing with that stunt cycle was that building ramps was as much fun as launching yourself over them. So with Joe Danger you can freeze the game at any point to enter edit-mode and change your world any way you want. You can put a ramp down just before you land or place a ring of fire just before you go through it. It’s really easy and allows you to create the most ridiculous stunts you can think of, then use them to smash some world records! You can even share your creations with all your friends and torment them with your devious creations.

Joe Danger PSN Screenshot 3

We’re a pretty competitive bunch here at Hello Games, and never more so than when we take each other on in some outrageous split-screen face-offs. The key to success is to pull tricks and create combos which will earn boost, allowing you to reach ridiculous speeds and pull even bigger tricks. Once you master your motorbike, you can take on the world with your high-scoring combos. We’re really looking forward to having some competition when the game is released.

When people ask me what my favorite film is, I like to tell them it’s Cinema Paridiso, because I like to look clever. It’s a lie though. My favorite film is actually The Naked Gun. I’m a big fan of slapstick, especially people getting clotheslined at high-speed, and that’s something we’ve tried to fill our game with. We use advanced cartoon physics to create a world ripe with humour. As a stuntman you laugh in the face of Danger, but it laughs back when you crash, as you bounce from boulder to boulder on fire, towards a pile of giant mousetraps. Even when you’re flung from your bike at high speed though, you can still make a last ditch attempt to please the crowd by pulling poses mid-air and nudging yourself directly into the path of Danger to score some extra points.

Joe Danger PSN Screenshot 1

Joe Danger is coming out really soon, some time in the next few months. We’re giddy with excitement about it and we think it’ll put a big stupid grin on your face.

You can keep up to date with Hello Games and Joe Danger on our blog, follow us on Twitter or even just send us mail!

PAGE 1 2

+ Sindred on March 5th, 2010 at 5:11 am said:

I saw the video to this on GT the same day the God of War footage showed and I was immediately interested, especially after seeing multiplayer and build your own tracks. Definite buy for me!

+ VoxRetus on March 5th, 2010 at 5:12 am said:

Looks really awesome guys, seriously.

In a way it kind of reminds of …well, at risk of naming an unnameable company, “That Other Game in Which you Raced a Motorcycle Across a Custom Made Track Complete With Ramps, Jumps, and Unidentifiable Speed Bumps.”

Needless to say, however, whether that old 8-Bit Classic was an inspiration to you or not – for me, seeing that concept realized in the current gen market is really fulfilling.

+ CaptainComandoX on March 5th, 2010 at 5:14 am said:

Darn I went to login when I saw no one posted so I would be first, then I come back and I’m third. Any way I can’t wait to play this game.

+ VoxRetus on March 5th, 2010 at 5:14 am said:

As a follow-up.

A definite buy for me!

+ ShatteredRaven77 on March 5th, 2010 at 5:23 am said:

SWEET! IT’S LIKE 3-D EXCITEBIKE!!!

+ VoxRetus on March 5th, 2010 at 5:30 am said:

@ #5

Exactly!

It’s awesome.

+ MaddSkillsZ on March 5th, 2010 at 5:35 am said:

I don’t normally comment unless I’m blown away and I must say that this looks to be a promising game. Not a lot of party titles on PS3 and I always support and love indie developers. Great title, and you have yourself a customer :)

+ R3Dinstinct on March 5th, 2010 at 5:38 am said:

looks pretty good to me

+ TheWarOrphan on March 5th, 2010 at 5:38 am said:

DAY ONE!! THANKS A MILLION!! GETTING MIGHTY TIRED OF SHOOTERS!!

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on March 5th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

Welcome to the PS BLOG!

YES! Looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing this in the store SOON PLEASE!

BTW a few questions below.

1. Does it have Custom Soundtracks?

2. 4 Local and online player multiplayer?

3. Price point(estimate)?

LNGC

+ Alic44 on March 5th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

Looks like exactly the kind of (really great) multiplayer game PSN needs more of.

Can’t wait to buy it, will tell my friends.

+ Korbei83 on March 5th, 2010 at 5:49 am said:

Sorry, I kept fast forwarding through this stuff on GT.. You know… God of War and all.

But it does look fun!

+ D-Squad3 on March 5th, 2010 at 5:49 am said:

God of War III Ultimate Fan contest results?

+ StalkingSilence on March 5th, 2010 at 6:06 am said:

ExciteBike 2.0 – and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE IT. Definitely buying. We need more physics-based games with a focus on fun.

+ Globox_82 on March 5th, 2010 at 6:27 am said:

just don’t rush it.

+ KatanaStrikes on March 5th, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

Ha, game looks great!

I see you guys got some nice inspiration from Mm by the looks of it.

Can’t wait to try it out. Looks lots of fun and importantly easy to build your track quickly.

+ Heratiki on March 5th, 2010 at 6:37 am said:

Going to be a definite buy for me… I’ve had some money sitting in my PSN account just waiting for something like this…

+ syk1288 on March 5th, 2010 at 6:39 am said:

Is there going to be any recording feature?

Just like all of ‘Q-games’ games?

Custom soundtrack?

4 Player Local & Online play?

Can 2, 3, or 4 people get online at one house to play online together against others?

Thanks if you reply!

MrWaffles
syk1288

+ Zezzler on March 5th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

looks kinda cool, nice to see that a team of 4 people have the will to make a ps3 game. looking forward to it.

+ eFunk25 on March 5th, 2010 at 6:42 am said:

This game looks like it’s going to be money! Excitabike was one of my first video games ever and this takes me back. It looks to have it’s own style and some unique gameplay. This is the first game since Fat Princes that I am really looking forward to on the PSN. Great work!

+ MadMeat001 on March 5th, 2010 at 6:42 am said:

i got scared that was Sony’s respond to Trial HD on XBLA which isn’t published by Microsoft.

But the game look NICE!

+ AngelusBR on March 5th, 2010 at 6:49 am said:

Looks awesome and I totally agree with @#9 there are too many shooters in this generation of videogames.

However I fear a law suit for you guys, I surely hope I’m wrong, thougn.

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL INDIE GAME DEVELOPER!

+ RadX on March 5th, 2010 at 6:52 am said:

I’ve never commented before since I haven’t found anything worth commenting..
But this game is an awesome idea, I love that you’re able to change your world anytime and anyhow you want to… Smart move Hello Games =)

I’ll be looking on PSN store every day for the release!

+ NarcMonkey on March 5th, 2010 at 6:54 am said:

Niiiiice. Definitely looking forward to this one.

+ aukevin on March 5th, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

This looks like a lot of fun. Really looking forward to it.

+ tetsou9shima on March 5th, 2010 at 6:55 am said:

This looks like it will be really fun.

+ TERWALLACE on March 5th, 2010 at 7:02 am said:

I’m so happy you guys put in local and splitscreen multiplayer! As fun as playing online an be, it’s more fun to me to have a bunch of people in the same room playing instead! This definitely looks like one I’ll be checking out!

+ Zarxce on March 5th, 2010 at 7:03 am said:

Oh wow, it really shows when a developer actually had fun making a game rather than forcing themselves to shove something out there for the sales.

The game looks awesome! At first it just looked “kinda fun” then I saw the track editor and was instantly sold. Day one buy for me.

Now I just need to convince some friends to buy it too…

+ pgsdi on March 5th, 2010 at 7:05 am said:

Two comments

1) Is this a PSN “exclusive”

2) If you put trophies in this game then you have yourself a new customer..

thx

+ gaaraROCKS on March 5th, 2010 at 7:22 am said:

OMG! I’M so hyped. You guys are amazing, 4 people creating such a wonderful game.

Brilliant.

+ RuthlessEd on March 5th, 2010 at 7:24 am said:

#27:

You hit the nail on the head.

Local multiplayer is the key ingredient that is missing from this generation of PS3 games.

It’s like developers completely forgot what made games popular for the PS2, N64, etc…

The ability to sit down with a bunch of friends and all play a game at the same time.

Is this game 4-player splitscreen? Or 2?

+ RuthlessEd on March 5th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

…and I should also add:

WOW. This game looks awesome. And it’s EXACTLY what the PSN needs.

+ TwinDad on March 5th, 2010 at 7:25 am said:

I like to hear the story of inspiration for games. I also grew up on the aforementioned action games on genesis/SNES. I also used to play with cars just like you did with Evel. Some of the funniest times to be had trying to make that car fly farther and farther.

+ gaaraROCKS on March 5th, 2010 at 7:27 am said:

Hi, you guys said something about being just a small 4 man team and that Sony helped you out, what exactly did they do?

+ colonel007 on March 5th, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

Is this game in the “Play, Creat, Share” genre?
If not, why no?, you already have the Create+Share in the trailer, and it would be great to have yet another game in the genre.

+ RuthlessEd on March 5th, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

I hope Hello Games decides to interact with the community by replying to some of these questions.

The “Post and Run” approach doesn’t sit well with us.

+ depward on March 5th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

This looks AWESOME. Great stuff! Looking forward to the release!

+ DiddyGotGrillz on March 5th, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

This game looks so sick, I can’t wait to play it.

Also, @RuthlessEd, get over yourself man, these people owe you NOTHING. They are creating a game that YOU have the option to buy or NOT to buy. If YOU are interested in the game then it’s YOUR job to read up on it not THEIR job to cater to your every question.

+ Moonvest on March 5th, 2010 at 8:53 am said:

This looks so awesome.

+ x-former on March 5th, 2010 at 8:54 am said:

Looks awesome!!! Can’t wait to get it and play along side my brother. PSN needs more co-op friendly games, both online and offline. Thanku for bringing this to the psn. This and castle crashers = Day 1!!

+ mariosmaker on March 5th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

With this game and MODNation Racers my racing game count will be up to 3! I’ve been waiting for some good racing games and here they are.

@ Hello Games
Thank you for including the essentials for an epic racing game: co-operative play (online and off) and a cool level designer with a TON of options.
I will be sure to add your blog to my bookmarks for all upcoming updates.

+ SarshelYam on March 5th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Sean Murray, Hello Games, DAY ONE PURCHASE! I can’t tell you how happy I am when I saw this video on GTTV’s God of War special. I was a little worried it may not make it our way, but I’m happy that worry was ill-placed.

That aside, instant nostalgia washed over me. I grew up in a time when the Nintendo Entertainment System didn’t even exist, but Excitebike was my first though, then….Super Dave Osborne, which I watched on the John Byner reruns and Dave’s various spinoff’s and personal shows.

All I have to say is THANK YOU! I’m still not clear but it sounds as if this has finally found its permanent home (I know it was developed with a goal for being on one platform), and I’m happy Sony and Hello Games seemed to have come to an agreement on distribution. I can’t wait…

…speaking of which, any chance of a demo before I buy the game? I’m having a hard time waiting. ;)

+ Maguss on March 5th, 2010 at 9:18 am said:

I saw this on GTTV and as soon as I saw split screen MP I knew it was a Day 1 buy. Can’t wait guys!!

+ BlackIceJoe on March 5th, 2010 at 9:30 am said:

I saw this on gametrailers and from then on I can’t wait to buy this game. So this is on my list of games that I want to play.

+ SDkngsht on March 5th, 2010 at 9:34 am said:

it’s like Excitebike 2010!! (which is a HUGE compliment BTW). that’s one of the first games i remember my mom buying me when i was 4.

i have a question…the parts of the video where the busses and trucks were added…is it really that easy and fast to add those things or was it just sped up for the video?

+ PointBlank771 on March 5th, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

Yup, this is definitely a buy for me.

+ x-former on March 5th, 2010 at 9:58 am said:

One question tho: If this is PSN exclusive, why is there an Xbox “A” button on the ramp @ 0:53 in the video????

Not that it matters to me, this is still day 1 purchase for me from what i’ve seen.

+ boxmyth on March 5th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

“Stunt-‘Em-Up” ???
SOLD!

+ Sarno1605 on March 5th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

Definitely looks like a game I’ll be checking out. Cant Wait for ModNation Racers. :-)

+ xiked on March 5th, 2010 at 10:27 am said: