GTAV PS4

Hey, Why is the PlayStation.Blog White?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Mar 08, 2010 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Unless this is the first time you’ve ever visited this site* – you probably noticed that we’ve inverted the color palette on the Blog. The aim wasn’t to save your eyesight (though this configuration apparently is easier on your eyes), and we didn’t just make a change for change’s sake.

Rather, we “bleached” the Blog to match our big brother, us.PlayStation.com. In case you haven’t clicked over to the homepage (and you should right now), we’ve redesigned the site to make it easier for you to use.

There are lots of changes – this isn’t just a re-skinning:

• New navigation makes it easy to find games, TV series, movies, and original shows from any page and browse the entire site from one interface.
  • New search is powered by Google and lets you find what you’re looking for, instantly.
  • Interactive marquees give you video, screenshots and more info about our most exciting content.
  • You can easily share anything from videos and screenshots to whole pages with your friends using the “Share” icons on each page.
  • Our new Web platform is keeping everything running fast and smooth.
  • Finally, and most importantly :-), the PlayStation.Blog is more prominent. You’ll spot new posts on the homepage and throughout the site.

This is our baby, so obviously we think it’s beautiful and perfect, but there might be some hiccups as we get everything up and running. Please be patient while we iron out the inevitable kinks.

Please note that this is just the first phase of improvements we’re planning to make the site easier to navigate, faster to use, and more interesting to visit. And right now we want your input – what do you love? What do you hate? What suggestions do you have?

As far as the Blog is concerned, we’re currently gathering ideas for a full-on redesign, but in the meantime we hope you enjoy the lighter, more readable PSB.

*If this is indeed the first time you’re visiting the PlayStation.Blog, welcome! We’re not always this self-referential.

PAGE 1 2 3 9

+ makaveddy on March 8th, 2010 at 10:26 am said:

nice i like it

+ BrianC6234 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:26 am said:

I like this new look. It is easier on the eyes.

+ crusher915 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

a little to white at some parts

+ Anti-Dentite on March 8th, 2010 at 10:28 am said:

How about you guys redesign the game card? That thing is ugly as sin.

+ chainlink13 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

I thought white screens with black text is supposed to increase eyestrain because it’s not a true white. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but since I’ve heard that, I’ve preferred the black with light text.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

That’s not what studies show…

+ zombie9 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

Looks cool Jeff improvments are nice =)
Played BBC2 this weekend and Game ROCKS. first EA game I have bought in 6 years Glad I waited LOL.

+ VanilaGorila-x- on March 8th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

I gotta be honest, I’m not a big fan of the white. Same goes for the PSU, I hate not being able to choose new skins.

Peace,
VG

+ Ryou666 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

Yeah, it’s true. It’s much easier on most people’s eyes.

+ Poki-3 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

I prefer black websites… they are easier on the eyes for me.
Why can’t we have a button to change the color style? Many websites have that sort of thing.

+ Twitching-Peanut on March 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

The layout looks to be better but I have to ask, when are you going to develop an API to allow webmasters the opportunity to connect to peoples trophy stats to allow them to create their own leaderboards etc?

XBox have done this for a while, isn’t about time Sony did the same thing?

+ LeoMindfreak08 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Very nice, i like it!. More clear to find info and clear to spend more time reading.

+ kentacohut on March 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

I think it looks awesome but I did like the black better. Is this leading up to a secret release of a limited edition white slim?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

That’s a bit of a stretch, innit?
    We explain the changes above.

+ InyRules on March 8th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

Definitely an improvement, on both sites. Never was a big fan of dark backgrounds/light text. Too much strain on the eyes. Nice job!

+ Spunta on March 8th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

Looks like some people in the Playstation division don’t know the first cardinal rule of design. NEVER use white as a backdrop for presentation. EVER. It’s been proven studies. It’s been proven in comparisons. It just shows a lack of effort.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

Pass these studies on, will you?

+ Stoffinator on March 8th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

I always felt you guys needed to copy the Euro blog. I love their design. But so far this one is looking pretty good.

+ Quixote on March 8th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

will these changes make these pages work better on the PS3 Web Browser?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:03 am said:

Might be easier to read, but we’ll have a more comprehensive PS3-browser version coming later this year.

+ kingnigel on March 8th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

Hey Jeff! I loved the site before and the change to white actually improves it. It is definitely easier on the eyes.

I have one request for the redesign. Please make the entire site PS3 browser compatible. Especially the videos. This is very important.
Thanks for reading, Jeff. You’re awesome.

+ pasufarin on March 8th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

I was wondering when the Blog was going to change to match the us.playstation.com look. Hopefully the rest of the changes will be smooth.

+ WillAllon on March 8th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

So thats why you guys re-designed the US playstation forums a while ago, now everything blends in really well :D.

+ Critios on March 8th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

Good.

+ PaTOP_cl on March 8th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

Hi!, guys, sorry, but did you know that the black pages use less energy from the monitor? the page is great as usual, but i prefer it black.

+ zKAPOWz on March 8th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

looks really bad, looks more like a Wii website. doesn’t look PlayStation at all. plus this bright white isn’t quite the energy saver, ever heard of Blackle.com?

+ designheadache on March 8th, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

MUCH better, site feels much more “open” and “friendly” now the oppressing black has gone.

I also really like the sign-in page its alot better than that terrible popup you used previously.

Good job!

+ LeAtWaOnK on March 8th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

I like this as well. In my opinion different is usually good. I am always up for a frequent (and sweet looking) redesign.

+ Vengeful-Chaos on March 8th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

My only suggestion would be a bit darker of a font.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Noted, thank you.

+ Tall-Dark-n-Ugly on March 8th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

Black was better. The white is simply blinding. Why don’t you guys let us Choose our own skins?

+ gus_xl on March 8th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

I liked it better the other way. What can you do though..

+ VofEscaflowne on March 8th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Well at least it doesn’t share how terrible the forums run on my computer.

Still prefer the old look though and always thought it was easier to read. Other changes are good though.

+ celticdragon682 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Look Good feel nicer on the eyes.. keep up the good work

+ ruffneckc on March 8th, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

nice change.

+ Partius on March 8th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Thats a shame, I really liked the dark colours, and it was better for the environment to.

If I remember project Xi in home all those months ago, wasn’t there a search engine called Blackle intended to save energy by only posting search results on black pages? That was a rather intuitive way to save the planet! Otherwise the new site looks awesome.

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 11:06 am said:

That’s only true for old-skool CRT monitors, which are rapidly being replaced by LCD, LED, and laptop displays.

+ NotoriousGamer on March 8th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

Looks unfinished.

+ rareexample on March 8th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

FYI, Black BG with white text is less straining on the eyes. High contract is the important part.

May have just damaged PS branding and the emotional attachment your audience had to the site. The black site was strides better in my opinion. Now this just looks like your generic blog. Easily reversible I imagine.

+ InFaMoUs1- on March 8th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

JEFF PLEASE READ

Why is the new BFBC2 DLC locked to ONLY ONE account? This is against PSN rules and regulation am I right? I own 2 PS3s one of my own and the other which my two brothers share. Both PS3s share content from PSN, games, DLC etc. but as to why EA wants to charge me and my family $15 for content I already paid for is ridiculous. I would have to spend $30 just so they can play the DLC on their individual accounts, this is on top of the $62 I already paid for the game.

Jeff please tell SCEA to do something about this “Project Ten Dollar” and have some sanctions put in so they stop abusing DLC like this.

+ porcelein4hed on March 8th, 2010 at 10:43 am said:

Although I like the black on white for computer use, I really don’t like it on the PS3 and the TV. This much white is blinding on a big screen TV. I prefer “darker” themed sites when navigating from a console on a TV

+ InFaMoUs1- on March 8th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Oh and I made a thread on the BFBC2 official forums, without sounding angry or like a troll and they deleted my thread after it reached 3 pages. Not everyone plays videogames for themselves, people in my situation are getting screwed out of content already on the disc and paid for.

+ Tony_Nibbles on March 8th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Readability FTW.

+ foom4real on March 8th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

Final Fantasy XIII and Ryuu ga Gotoku 3/Yakuza 3 trophies are still missing from one’s trophy list on the webpage. Please fix this. They have been hidden from view for months now. It can’t be because they are Japanese games, since there are other Japanese games that show up just fine (mainichi issho and shirokishi monogatari). Give us back our trophies!

+ foom4real on March 8th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

Thankfully someone finally fixed the God of War trophies from being hidden. Now just those two games are missing.

+ RuthlessEd on March 8th, 2010 at 10:48 am said:

I like the changes.

But Priority Number 1 needs to be making the blog completely accessible from the PS3 — including all videos.

+ zabbyh on March 8th, 2010 at 10:49 am said:

Looks a little strange at the top because of the GOW3 banner being dark in color. But other than that, I like it.

+ Capt-Fury- on March 8th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

top banner and the grey boarders around avatars dont match the new look…other than that is fine

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 8th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

We’ll be changing that soon.

+ Ramage on March 8th, 2010 at 10:51 am said:

A couple of comments on the white:

1) You’re throwing off my entire computer scheme. My FF theme is black and generally I like to keep darker backgrounds as it shoves less light into my face.

2) Now the avatars look terrible and blocky around the edges. Maybe revert the avatar background to a dark color (or perhaps our selected tag color)

3) Destructoid also went through a color change this morning and now is white as well…interesting

4) Just keep doing what you guys do best and I’ll keep coming regardless of this whole ‘bleaching’ deal.

+ ROFLdrg on March 8th, 2010 at 10:52 am said:

Not horrible, but really not great either. PlayStation has always had the black color scheme and it really takes away from the unity of everything. I’m annoyed that I have to scroll down on the log-in page on the new PlayStation site. Can’t you make a simple pop up log-in field? Or get some designers that will think “hey scrolling down to log-in on the log-in page is an inconvenience”

+ DeadSpider on March 8th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

Do not like the white theme at playstation.com nor do I like it here on the blog. It’s to bright and more of a pain to read. In low light it’s pure murder on the eyes.

Please atleast have a selectable darker theme like the old way. It was easy on the eyes in bright and low light situations.

+ Paranoimia on March 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

Oh, finally I can sign in! Been having real trouble with that since the change.

Anyway, I much preferred the old darker look. I find sites with too much white to be very hard on the eyes.

And while I’m here, I also have to agree with Twitching-Peanut in comment #10 – we really need an API so that 3rd-party sites like Raptr.com can provide access to game and trophy info.

In fact, the whole trophy/Portable ID thing needs standardising on a global level. You’ve recently made a publicly viewable Trophy page available on the US site, while here in the EU we still have to sign in to view our trophies. Okay, so we can use the US version, but it’s stupid having the presentation of this stuff vary by region.

PSN is a GLOBAL network, and should be presented as such on the web. Unlike store and Home content, this information is entirely under your control, and unhindered by regional legal/copyright issues.

More than three years into the life of the PS3, and a year and a half after the introduction of the Trophy system, this is the kind of thing that really should have been in place by now.

+ IceReign on March 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

I like I like.

+ KidCommando on March 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

I think the black looks better, the page looks generic now.

A skin selection would be nice.

+ kosluftar on March 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

Where is the podcast?

+ Grognard66 on March 8th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

It would be nice if we could send/read/reply to messages on PSN via the website like the xbox site does.

API support for third-party websites (like Giantbomb.com has for Live/Steam achievements, 360voice.com, etc.) would be appreciated too.

PAGE 1 2 3 9