PS4-The Order

PlayStation Network First to Deliver HD Movies from All Six Major Movie Studios

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Mar 09, 2010 // Director, PlayStation Store

Hi Everyone – Break out the bubbly, because today marks a milestone on the Video Store! Starting today, PlayStation Network’s video delivery service is the first to offer high-definition movies for purchase from all of the major movie studios, including 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.

So head to the Video Store today, and on your PS3 from the comfort of your own home, download popular movies to own in dazzling HD, such as This Is It, 2012, The Hangover, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and Zombieland, plus recent Oscar winners and nominees like Inglourious Basterds, Up and District 9. Enjoy!

VDS HD Screenshot

120 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ fedex682 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

Is this available for Canada as well?

+ EVanHelsing on March 9th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

PSN delivers HD movies from ZERO major movie studios to Canada.

+ SGAShepp on March 9th, 2010 at 11:29 am said:

Canada Pleaseeee!

+ mywhitenoise on March 9th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Its a shame that almost EVERY HD movie is a rental, with no option to own. Also sucks that its limited to one console, so if your PS3 breaks…there’s no chance of retrieving your purchased content.

+ PaperCarrier on March 9th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Interesting but I can’t benefit from that video service because I live in Canada.

+ syk1288 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

I see.

So the new posts you guys be leaving are grey.

That doesn’t bother my eyes but when I’m reading comments my eyes feel like they’re going to bleed. (lol a bit of exaggeration)

+ benyamen54 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Everytime I read updates about the movie store or the comic store it’s like rubbing an iodine/saline solution into the wound that is my heart which bleeds ps3 black and red. For goodness sake do whatever it takes to finally offer full services to your Canadian ps3 owners that have to pay just as much or more than their American neighbors. And invisible line in the dirt shouldn’t be enough to stop a major corporation like Sony.

+ syk1288 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

@ mywhitenoise: Yes, you can retrieve your purchased content.

You have to call Sony for them to deactivate your account on your broken PS3.

+ remanutd5 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

nice i have bought a couple of movies from psn already but all of them in SD and theres a good reason to that , while a would love to spend those $5 extra to get the HD version i dont do it because my psp GO doesnt support the format and theres no way for me to download an HD movie from the store to watch it on my psp GO so im stuck with SD , please guys make the function available i love to see HD movies on my ps3 but it would be superb to be able to download the same movie to my psp GO without having to buy the same movie on SD.

+ KazeEternal on March 9th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

Now we just need HD Rentals for all and we’re good to go. Any word on Subtitles?

+ SDkngsht on March 9th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

good news for the movies i like to buy (trying to go digital w/music & movies and this helps).

on another note i know it’s been brought up but i think Sony should really revise their rental structure in regards to the video store. it feels like we’re being shorted when we only have the movie 24 hours after we watch it. the last two times i rented movies i started watching them and had to run out. the first time i had to go help a friend who’s car got towed. the second time i had to go to ikea to use my truck for some stuff my mom bought. both times i ended up not getting back around to watching the movie and missed out so i don’t even rent movies any more because of the incovenience of being able to watch them.

i think it would go a long way to make PS3 owners happy and more willing to use the video rental service if when we rent a movie we have it for 72 hours (3 days) regardless of when we start watching it. please look into it…it doesn’t seem like it would be an issue to impliment and i think you’d get a huge response from customers for it. thanks for listening (if you read this far).

+ Starfire07 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

I will never purchase a digital movie unless it’s tied to my ACCOUNT and not a piece of hardware, which can and will eventually break. Grace, if you guys can work out a deal that allows the downloads to be tied to my account rather than the console and the price is right, I would consider buying. Has to be in hd too. I have an hd tv. Why would I purchase a movie at standard resolution?

Eric

+ BlooodyCow on March 9th, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

Still no Canadian Store I see. There will be a lot of Canadian on this post asking for a Canadian Video Store.

+ cristian_daniel on March 9th, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

Too bad, we dont have Video Store here en latin america. I understand you canadians

+ SDkngsht on March 9th, 2010 at 11:40 am said:

as a sidenote to my above post if you’re not going to give customers a break on the pricepoint vs other rental options such as Blockbuster then we should at minimum get the movie for a few days the way we do with those other rental options. but to pay the same or more than we do with other rental options and then feel like once we start watching a movie we’re commited no matter what comes up just feels wrong.

+ Grondinm on March 9th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

i hate to do this(kinda) but i feel i must chime in if only to show/support the level on interest/demand for this great service to make it up north. i’m sure it’s being worked on(or so i hope to god) but an update as to what is going on with it would be nice. someone said on the playstation facebook page that it would be coming early 2010 was this accurate?

+ Grondinm on March 9th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

(should be able to edit comments…just to add his name was Matt from playstation canada see here

+ Hohlraum on March 9th, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

Woo Hoo. Overpriced unsellable low bitrate HD content.

+ RoecraticA on March 9th, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

wow,good job sony,now here’s a big trophy for ya’s.

+ Stoffinator on March 9th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

That’s great. But when does the rest of the world get it? Oh that’s right, you guys don’t say anything about that. Yet I can on other systems.

+ KSPRAYDAD on March 9th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

@8….

‘IF’ SONY chooses to help you out and restore it is completely at the whim of the person you are dealing with. Your TOS when purchasing video content specifically say that redownloading is not an option. Quote: Videos purchased on the video store cannot be re-downloaded once it has been downloaded to either a PlayStation 3 or PSP system. Linky: *http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=1105

1. Tie it to our PSN…you might have noticed that one of your major competitors is just about to announce game content available with one id on a console/computer and mobile platform…you MUST do this SONY. You also have the intent of bringing PSN content to more devices (or so your bosses have said) so it is imperative. I am not buying the same content over and over for different devices.

2. After tying it to our PSN I don’t think many people would have an issue with a $1 redownload fee to cover your bandwidth costs (at least I wouldn’t)

3. Now that 90% of your customers have HD how about throwing a bone to the 10% in Canada that you are also responsible for and giving us SD?

Same questions now for 1.5 years and still no answers.

+ triple_lei on March 9th, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

The BEST video service for the BEST country in the world gets even better! Thank you!!!

+ GAME-HERO on March 9th, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

Hasn’t this HD distribution (GAME-HERO puts on his sunglasses)going on for a while?

Stay away from the light carol ann…I guess I can’t tell New PS3 owners “welcome to the darkside” anymore…

+ CleanNJerk101 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

I don’t gve a crap. The service isn’t even available in Canada and a whole bunch of other regions.

+ SogeKing on March 9th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

Nift!

+ Grondinm on March 9th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

@22 as a canadian everyone i know hase an HD tv so when they bring it to us it better be HD as well no SD crap.

+ Mabus51 on March 9th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I’m sorry but I can’t even read this site anymore it makes my eyes sore just trying to scan through the text. Please change it back. I find it funny that I have to mention this on a thread posting about HD movies. Cause when I think of Hi-Resolution I think easy on the eyes and pretty to look at. But with the new color scheme here, there is nothing Hi-Res or pretty about it. I now need some advil. Thanks

+ Lirion on March 9th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Awsome! Now hoe about looking at us on the continent known as Europe, I promise you it exist!

+ NDC89 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

thank you for adding more content i cant view because your service is not available in canada.

+ ck_sfu on March 9th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

and still no canada for any video services from ps3?

+ LongTallnUgly on March 9th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

I can’t believe people actually buy downloads.

+ okiwa002 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Grace, this is excellent news- now i can stop going to Blockbuster!

+ krae_man on March 9th, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

The lack of time and effort spent on the Canadian Region is beyong disgracefull.

The amount of content in it when it eventually comes will probably royaly suck as well.

+ rklllama on March 9th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Some of you were complaining that the downloads you make from the video store aren’t tied to your account and therefore die with your system, that isn’t entirely true. You CAN back up all of your video content onto a flash drive or whatever and store it wherever you want. It is as good as just having access to downloading it again? No. But is it nice to be able to keep all of those video store purchases? Absolutely.

+ Enforcer_X on March 9th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

No 1080p
(Thank you so much for the 5.1 Audio though!)
DRM too restrictive
Can’t re-download or receive a refund in the event the PSN ID is compromised and or the internet connection is lost for longer than the movies stays in the download list, nor for a broken console unless you have a repair claim code.

Still can’t justify the PSN Video store cost!

+ Rionken86x on March 9th, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Now when will you guys offer 3D movies? You are releasing 3D capable games and true 3D televisions are coming out this spring.

I want to buy or rent UP in 3D, not just HD

+ gasho3 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Previously HD rental movies on the PSN were only available in stereo sound (remember the 80s kids?), so, please tell me these great NEW HD movies for purchase come in at least 5.1, instead of lowly stereo. If not I too will be pouring salt water in my eyes.

+ JimInPT on March 9th, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

I’m buying brand-new Blu-ray films for US$10-14 by doing a bit of shopping – these are full 1080p (not compromised and compressed for download), with full subtitles and lossless audio, complete with all extras, booklets and packaging. I can pull anything off the shelf and watch it 30 seconds later on any Blu-ray player and screen in the house.

Renting downloads is just insane IMHO, and will be for some years yet. Too many compromises for the high prices charged.

+ krae_man on March 9th, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

@17

“Early 2010. We’re working through two things – legal requirements with the CRTC and the back end programming. I know, we’d like it up today, but we need to follow the rules on something like this. Thanks for being patient guys.”

AH HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

“ITs the CRTC’s fault guys, We totally could have had this done years ago we’re gonna blame the CRTC and take our sweet time instead”

Stuff like this annoys me. Sony has noone to blame but themselves. The lack of a video store in Canada is entirly due to the lack of time, effort and priority they have put into it so far.

It makes no sense to me. You flushed millions of dollars or revenue down the drain taking 2 years to get PSN cards out and are doing it again with the video store. Give your heads a shake.

+ oilahize on March 9th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

Downloads take too long…instant streaming FTW!

+ Boots777 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

When is the PSN Video service coming to Canada?!? I would really like to use this service.

+ starBlinky01 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

oooh canada!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

This is good news but you know what would be FANTASTIC NEWS? A RELEASE DATE FOR JOE DANGER!! or just anymore news on it.That game is going to be one of the best PSN titles out this year..hopefully there are more to come :)as far as the MOVIE stuff on PSN goes..I am very THANKFULL for it..but the downloading time is ridiculous :/ I’d rather buy it on BlueRay and save some room on my hard drive for JOE DANGER..LoL

+ Stoffinator on March 9th, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

I don’t believe its the CRTC. Live has a video store up here and yes, it may not be as big as the U.S one, but least we have something. More than what Sony is offering us.

+ AntiloopUS on March 9th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

When are we going to have the Video Store in Mexico??????????

+ ThousandShade on March 9th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

I would absolutely love for this to be available in Canada. I watch all my HD blu-ray movies on my PS3 anyways – it would be great to be able to purchase them through the store, as I don’t always have time to run to Blockbuster or Wal-Mart.

As a side note… you guys own a lot of developers and a lot of websites. My pride is a little hurt when there is NEVER a “Canada” option on any site. We have no choice but to pick USA. I work for a Communications & Technology company, and 90% of the thousands of companies I deal with have a Canada option.

Maybe I’m being picky, but I support Sony a lot – I have a HUGE collection of games from PS1, PS2, and PS3, not to mention a bunch of blu-rays. I’m Canadian and proud of it, and I know it doesn’t take much to add a “Canada” option under country selection, or to have our own Canadian blog.

If it’s that you don’t have the manpower, let me know. I’ve got some web programming experience as well. I’m sure I could add some buttons and maintain a Canadian blog, if no one else has the time.

If that’s not the case… well then please at least let us know. Some information would be nice.

+ krae_man on March 9th, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

I was reminded of how terrible SCEC’s support of Canada is I tried to use the download code for the PSP version of Zombieland.

That code better work when you finally get off your arse and launch the store.

+ TurismoM3 on March 9th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

It would be sweet if you offered this service to Canada, “If you build it, they will come”

+ NotoriousGamer on March 9th, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

Will the PSN video store ever come to Canada?

PAGE 1 2 3