PlayStation VR

Mar 09

Mar 09

PlayStation Network First to Deliver HD Movies from All Six Major Movie Studios

Grace Chen's Avatar Posted by Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi Everyone – Break out the bubbly, because today marks a milestone on the Video Store! Starting today, PlayStation Network’s video delivery service is the first to offer high-definition movies for purchase from all of the major movie studios, including 20th Century Fox, Walt Disney Pictures, Paramount Pictures, Sony Pictures Entertainment, Universal Pictures and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.

So head to the Video Store today, and on your PS3 from the comfort of your own home, download popular movies to own in dazzling HD, such as This Is It, 2012, The Hangover, Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince and Zombieland, plus recent Oscar winners and nominees like Inglourious Basterds, Up and District 9. Enjoy!

VDS HD Screenshot

Add Your Own

JAYDON1234567 said:

March 9th, 12:33 pm

how come PSN Movies and TV shows arnt in Canada?

Hofman-- said:

March 9th, 12:34 pm

Canada. We leave just north of the USA.

MLEW85 said:

March 9th, 12:35 pm

awesome but still lacking HD movies to own

gabriel_ko said:

March 9th, 12:35 pm

Please Sony, show some love for Canada!!! Microsoft and Apple did it. Now it’s your turn!

MainEv3nt_69 said:

March 9th, 12:36 pm

Canada Soon?

Mattchewie said:

March 9th, 12:48 pm

This a great news! Keep it up Sony!

Now all ya got to do is tweak that DRM so when someone purchases a movie, they not totally hosed if they system breaks or just want to upgrade!

However I love renting off the PSN Movie store!

MrJoltz said:

March 9th, 12:48 pm

When does Canadian Ps3 get those bounuses like that comic thing?

ThreeLeggedFreak said:

March 9th, 12:48 pm

The DRM is still not fair, should be tied to the account and up to 3-5 machines like games DRM, so that I can redownload the movies I PURCHASE if I so desire to buy another PS3 or, when the time comes, a PS4.

Also movies and TV Shows need subtitle options.

zenhenko said:

March 9th, 12:49 pm

Canada? Why cant you press that little magic button and make it possible for us or these blogs are pointless for us. we paid the money to!! startin to remind me of X-BOX

BulletSmoke said:

March 9th, 12:51 pm

Whenever there a PSN video update you can always expect some vocal Canadian in the comments. Keep it up, I’m sure a company as grand as Sony can be capable of making it happen sooner or later.

JKC31 said:

March 9th, 12:51 pm

Congrats!

Hard to get all the peas in the pod isn’t?

adolson said:

March 9th, 12:55 pm

stennex said:

March 9th, 1:11 pm

great to have HD in the mix, its a pity i cannot download videos using my own login because PSN at Sony cannot simply reset my video activation. How come it is not shown on the box that if you do not activate your video from your original system you will not be able to use your login to get your original or new video content. I had to change my system and now i cannot get back what i paid for. Really Sony.

ynp7 said:

March 9th, 1:14 pm

So when are you guys going to make the content portable instead of only being able to play it on PS3, and then having to deactivate a system to play it on another?

Also, this white theme sucks. Please tell the blog guys to change it back because it’s brutal on my eyes.

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 9th, 1:21 pm

@35

Please…if you haven’t read your manual and TOS stop spreading nonsense.

The backup system only allows you to restore video TO THE EXACT SAME PS3. The backup system does NOTHING in the case of your PS3 failing or in the case of multiple PS3 owners that wish to watch their BOUGHT content on the machine of their choice.

KSPRAYDAD said:

March 9th, 1:23 pm

@64…again…with VIDEO content deactivation does not allow you to download the video to a new system.

jncasanova said:

March 9th, 1:37 pm

That’s awesome!!!

But is this only on PS Network or on NetFlix streaming service as well??

What’s the size of each video file and is the cost of rentals and purchases different from non HD movies??

DarkRecoil said:

March 9th, 1:39 pm

Thank you Grace, but what some of us would like even more is the ability to download full blockbuster PS3 games from the PSN (such as Killzone 2, Heavy Rean and GoW 3)

The future is obviously digital, and we all appreciate how sony has embraced digital downloads with the PSP and this movie service, so why are you guys avoiding downloads for flagship PS3 games?

LILBUDDY2000 said:

March 9th, 1:43 pm

Cool that movies are being delivered. Not cool that nobody can at least let us know why the movies aren’t in Canada. Is this a CRTC issue?

DJKim0701 said:

March 9th, 1:49 pm

SUBTITLES PRETTY PLEASE??? I AM DEAF THAT I CANNOT BUY ANY MOVIES!!!!! :(

ForgetfuI said:

March 9th, 1:50 pm

I can haz in Canada? :(

Solid-Snake-Eyes said:

March 9th, 1:54 pm

How about delivering them to Canada? It’d sure be nice to hear whether a Canadian video store is even in the works.

NoWay said:

March 9th, 2:01 pm

I’d ask about the Canadian Video Store but my PS3 is dead right now (YLOD) so I will go back to watching my FF13 box ! :'(

favian said:

March 9th, 2:08 pm

Any plans to setup a subscription based rental service similar to Netflix? Pay a certain amount monthly and watch x amount of movies? You guys have the infrustucture to compete with Netflix, yet i dont really see any competitive moves by Sony! You’re also competing with redbox now ($1 dollar rentals, SD DVDs that i see at Walmarts) Makes it hard to justify paying $5 rental from PSN..

-fav

pilotkev said:

March 9th, 2:08 pm

I live in the country (SW US) so while I do have wireless broadband internet connection, it’s way too unreliable with erratic speeds and constant dropping for me to consider downloading or streaming HD videos, but I will continue to buy TV shows and movies on blue-ray and dvd.

Bioman20 said:

March 9th, 2:19 pm

When will the video service come to Canada

Zezzler said:

March 9th, 2:44 pm

Canada.

readyset said:

March 9th, 2:45 pm

i will stick wit blu ray

TwinDad said:

March 9th, 2:47 pm

O Canada!
Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

Powie said:

March 9th, 2:48 pm

I won’t rent them/buy them – too expensive. If you implement the Netflix type rental services ($15 a month for unlimited movies) – You’ll have me a as customer.

TwinDad said:

March 9th, 2:57 pm

Just adding my support for why no Canada, that is all.

BTW: Never buying video from PSN, Ever. DRM is horrible.

dinkin-flicka said:

March 9th, 2:57 pm

@80 The reason that probably won’t happen is because the PS Video store has the latest releases for rental, while Netflix streaming has mostly old movies and tv shows. The PS Store is a lot more like cable movies on demand or PPV which has similar pricing.

Blkant said:

March 9th, 3:01 pm

Good. Now work on getting all six of them to support all HD rentals and you’ve got it made.

mikemustillo said:

March 9th, 3:05 pm

When will this be available in Canada, it’s killing me….

Mies2000 said:

March 9th, 3:10 pm

Can we view purchased movies over Remote Play?

Please make them available!

lyfestory said:

March 9th, 4:04 pm

problem is, ya don’t offer the price point or monthly service of a Netflix… maybe they don’t offer the newer titles as fast as Blockbuster or Sony might, the convenience of only having the pay once a month is much more important to me…

plus the fact that my system died once already has me very wary of watching anything on my PS3 anymore…

Build a more reliable system and i’d be happy for it to be my go-to for more of my entertainment needs…

dinkin-flicka said:

March 9th, 4:09 pm

@86 You can get Netflix on your PS3. Problem solved.

SimplePanda said:

March 9th, 4:16 pm

Apple: 720p HD for rent and buy. In Canada.
Microsoft: 1080p streaming HD for rent plus HD TV shows to buy. In Canada.
Sony: 0.

Making matters worse, once a week you send “new on PlayStation Network” e-mails to Canadian customers advising them of all the wonderful content that they now (can’t) watch on the PlayStation Video store.

Oh, Sony… I try to love you but every step you take you just make yourselves look like you didn’t quite make it to this generation.

TheHakku said:

March 9th, 5:24 pm

Ahhhhh crap. I already bought so many movies in SD. Hooray, guys. Way to be late. :( Oh well. To the future.

KuroNoArishia said:

March 9th, 5:25 pm

This is pathetic..no offense but it’s like Canada is a third world country..

Korlithiel said:

March 9th, 5:40 pm

Until the DRM for the videos stops blowing (starts allowing us to redownload videos) I can’t see ever seeing anything that happens to it (aside from the occasional screw-up free videos) being a good thing.

I mean, what’s the point of anyone selling content you can’t keep?

Futbolfan said:

March 9th, 5:58 pm

I’ve pretty much gotten past the point of caring about digital movie downloads from a Canadian perspective. Sony Canada originally promised movie downloads back in January, and that was two months ago.

Before you improve your movie listings in the US, Sony, you might want to consider your other countries and territories that don’t have access first.

Just a suggestion…

floppy72 said:

March 9th, 6:34 pm

#########################

## Why no Canada ??????

## WHY NO LATIN AMERICA ????

## Is this racism ????

#########################

AngleofDeath696 said:

March 9th, 7:24 pm

When will you guys change your PlayStation Network video format of choice to MKV it’s the best format to play all types of HD movies?

k-fitzakerley said:

March 9th, 7:28 pm

it should be coming to canada this spring/summer guarenteed in the first half of the year

SKeRJ said:

March 9th, 8:05 pm

You know you guys should really consider a Netflix-esque digital subscription plan, you have a better digital lineup after all. ..just something to think about.

Myke-Myke said:

March 9th, 8:25 pm

Congrats to the PSN Video Store!

Cant wait to see whats coming next…

DustyBlue said:

March 9th, 8:40 pm

The PSN video store isn’t even in Japan yet, guys. I bet it will come out in Japan before it does in Canada, whenever, if ever, that will be.

Just sayin’.

Mindplague said:

March 9th, 9:01 pm

*Yawn* Let me know when the Canadian Video store is up. Then I will give a rat’s ass.

Minck said:

March 9th, 10:04 pm

Great news!! But as a Canadian this doesn’t affect me… Can we at least have Sony movies on a Canadian store?? I don’t think it should be too hard to get that studio on board, considering you guys are the same company.