No Man's Sky

ModNation Racers Release Date, Pre-Orders and Box Art!

Chuck Lacson's Avatar + Posted by Chuck Lacson on Mar 15, 2010 // Product Marketing Manager, SCEA

If you’ve been keeping up with the Blog or recent preview coverage, you know ModNation Racers is continuing the Play, Create and Share movement allowing both PS3 and PSP owners to design their own racers, karts and best of all, custom tracks! Creations can then be raced with friends (four-player split-screen confirmed!) and uploaded to the rest of the PlayStation Network! But the question is:

When will it hit store shelves?

Well it’s official! ModNation Racers on both PS3 and PSP releases May 25! On top of this, we kick off our official pre-order program today for the PS3 version with participating retailers.

ModNation Characters

That’s right! Ratchet and Clank, Nathan Drake, and Kratos have officially been Mod’ed! Depending on where you pre-order your copy, you’ll get to race with one of your favorite characters.

ModNation Racers Kratos Racing

Pre-order from GameStop and score Kratos and his Kart of Chaos!

ModNation Racers Ratchet Racing

Pre-order from Amazon and race as Ratchet or Clank!

ModNation Racers Nathan Drake Racing

Pre-order from Best Buy and score Nathan Drake and his Jungle Jeep!

On top of this, each pre-order gets an additional BONUS Mystery Mod and Kart package that include not just a special Mod and Kart, but additional accessories that you can use to make your own creations!

ModNation Racers DLC 1 ModNation Racers DLC 2

ModNation Racers DLC 3 ModNation Racers DLC 4

Four possibilities in total, and just like a vinyl figure you buy in stores, you won’t know which one you get until you download it and see for yourself. Wondering what they could be? We will reveal them soon enough! Just look for a future post right here on the Blog. :)

So there you go! Pre-order today and you might be racing with your favorite PlayStation character! To make sure you know which box to grab on May 25, here is a sneak peek at our packfront!

ModNation Racers PS3 Box

More updates to come right here on the PS.Blog! See you then.

+ Daimomaru on March 15th, 2010 at 5:02 pm said:

Can we make great creations like those characters with the customizing engine the game provides to create?

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 6:00 pm said:

That’s the beauty of the game! You can make whatever you want. :)

+ HazeBlaze on March 15th, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

Also, I’ve been waiting news of the release date since I saw it demo’d at E3 last year… can’t wait. Any more demo’s or beta’s before release?!!! I didn’t get to catch the last one :-(

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

If we do get a demo, you’ll hear it right here on the Blog. :)

+ onslaughtree on March 15th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

aahhh man, im thorn between the KRATOS and the DRAKE characters…..I think I might just go with DRAKE, HIS JEEP JUST LOOKS SO CLASSIC., then again , kratos looks sooooo bad ass…..ahhh man.

+ QUINTISON on March 15th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

While i’m getting both the ps3 version and downloading the psp version i’d love to see some love for underground games like valkrie chronicles,borderlands,disgaea and fat princess to name a few.

Valkrie chronicles 2 is headed to psp and disgaea is getting another ps3 game so geting the word out through moded characters and in game ad’s along the race-posters trackside for great upcoming games would be fine if done tastefully.

+ ace_of_PWN on March 15th, 2010 at 5:20 pm said:

loks awsome so preordering from amazon there kart is so cool, and how much is this gonna cost on the psp?

+ ace_of_PWN on March 15th, 2010 at 5:22 pm said:

quintison I agree they should make fat princess should go on the psp

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 15th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

Will this game support Custom soundtrack?

+ matahtak on March 15th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

4 Player Split Screen = Purchased.

+ Monetep on March 15th, 2010 at 5:28 pm said:

Why is not “Last car standing” for the ps3 edition?, sounds really fun!

+ ZAANOS on March 15th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

This is great! Comes out around the time of my birthday. Glad to see more exclusive racing games on PS3. Hope to see a next gen Jet Moto PS3 title one day.

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 6:03 pm said:

Nice! Old Skool! (I LOVED the Jet Moto Commercial!)

+ remanutd5 on March 15th, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

well im getting both versions and i am pre ordering the ps3 one at gamestop , but i really want the other two characters as well

+ John-117 on March 15th, 2010 at 5:44 pm said:

I can’t wait to pick this up! You guys/gals have been working hard at Unites Front Games because the game is lookig fantastic. My only hope is that the load times get improved because I can’t wait to jump in and start designing tracks/mods.

+ Kchow23 on March 15th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

How about a launch party at UFG?

+ MiguelAMX on March 15th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Oh i get it.. If you have a PSP 1000/2000/3000 pre-order the UMD and get some bonus goodies. If you have a PSPGo, Then f… you

Chuck Lacson's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 15th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

PS3 program only. Sorry!

+ Heavenly_king on March 15th, 2010 at 6:17 pm said:

I love the first pic hahahaha lol XD

+ Thrasher20 on March 15th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

Awesome!

+ Apollo21 on March 15th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

AWESOME! Comes out 2 days before my birthday! :D Can’t wait to play the game! Oh. btw. Gamespot might need a game rate scale larger than 10. If you catch my drift. ;) (pun intended)

+ hawknelson on March 15th, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

Can’t wait for the game! Looks fantastic!

+ Axecution on March 15th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

NO! NO NOGFNWKGFNWDJKLG;FDNWJG;FWNGOW;E **** YOU AND YOUR DAMN PREORDER BONUSES. >.< UGH GUGHFBN GAWD

+ Noaxzl on March 15th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

I’ve already pre-ordered my copy of the game from Amazon.

But seriously, why do you guys have to do retailer-exclusive pre-order bonuses? Why can’t you guys simply make them part of a special edition and put in other neat stuff with it?

+ Hunter_xx_ on March 15th, 2010 at 6:55 pm said:

this preorded fad needs to stop, it’s so unfair that no one can get everything, and some people like to see reviews before spending 60 bucks on a game

+ FramingDragon on March 15th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

Can’t wait for this game… I still hope balanced kart stats are added in though, rather than every kart having the exact same stats – the fun of creating your own kart is getting good at the different playstyles of all of the unique types of karts, finding the perfect stats for your own racing style, etc. IMO

+ M7261998 on March 15th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

Will it have trophies?

i like me some trophies

+ Asian_Warrior on March 15th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

This is legitly amazing! Hey just to tell everysingle video game producer in the world we love splitscreen! Just make shure the lighting framerate and grahpics adn were ready to wreak havok! But this is such a hard choice COD 6 or modnation racers….. uhhhh BOTH i say! Woot modnation racers and motorstorm, my 360 buds are going to be jealous for paying for online adn havng fewer exclusives… :) but here comes the really hard part! Drake or ratchet and clank? ughhhh mabye ill preorder it twice once for me once for my friend :D woot!

+ Asian_Warrior on March 15th, 2010 at 7:26 pm said:

LBP owned mario, will Modnation racers take over mario kart? Well with splitscreen 4 player, and the abilities to make your own characters and tracks, soneys got a win :D

+ Zoomguy53 on March 15th, 2010 at 7:29 pm said:

:D Finally, a release date! I’m so happy my head just exploded!!

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on March 15th, 2010 at 7:33 pm said:

So no Custom Soundtrack support then?

Also why is Last Kart racing mode exclusive to the PSP?

That’s 2 strikes for each (PSP has no trophies), I think I’m gonna pass on this.

+ ryaud on March 15th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

i want this sooo bad, but i already pre ordered gt5, and i also want the motion controller, i guess i will have to see what treasures i have under my bed…

+ Kchow23 on March 15th, 2010 at 7:54 pm said:

how about usinig the modnations avatars + engine to replace playstation home? ;)

+ PantherX on March 15th, 2010 at 8:52 pm said:

I can already see how kool and imaginative this game will be with ton of style and charm. i want the Drake jeep but theres no Best Buy. guess ill rock with Kratos!

+ l3lackCalamity on March 15th, 2010 at 10:59 pm said:

Im scared. I want to pre order from best buy but unlike GS employees they know nothing about games. Half the time I need to explain to them what a preorder is then they run along to go check on it.

+ l3lackCalamity on March 15th, 2010 at 11:00 pm said:

@122

Sony requires all new games post 2009 jan 1st have trophy support

+ sfgdfds on March 15th, 2010 at 11:22 pm said:

4 player split screen. awesome. can we see how that looks? movie would be great; or even some screen shots!

and I still want a kevin butler guy as a PSN bonus.

+ jimmy903 on March 15th, 2010 at 11:37 pm said:

I had already pre ordered at GameStop, I just wanted to express my crazy excitement that they are getting the GoW skin and car, I will be paying this off next week.

+ Letters2Kay on March 15th, 2010 at 11:47 pm said:

I thought this would be a $20 downloadable title! I just don’t think that it’ll be worth full AAA retail price and can’t justify spending that kind of money on a cart racer when I have so many other games to play. Sorry, guys. I was totally down until I saw that price. I’ll wait for the greatest hits version- or a steep price cut, whichever comes first…

+ GT911RS on March 16th, 2010 at 12:48 am said:

Is there gonna be a special edition or Limited Edition of the game? Can’t wait to get that in my collection. :D

+ KingOfTheLair on March 16th, 2010 at 5:27 am said:

Why no pre order bonus for the PSP version? I think it’s unfair that you don’t show PSP owners the same thanks the PS3 people get. I want the PSP version for portability, but no bonus?!?!?!

+ Sonicfan11589 on March 16th, 2010 at 6:05 am said:

hey chuck, thanks for responding with so many replies, i am impressed this is a blog with so many replies, you are one person that gamers can count on to answer most of their questions or at least take interest with reading their posts. Hopefully, you are still reading them after making so many replies. Thanks again. Keep up with the faith to your fellow gamers.

+ eFunk25 on March 16th, 2010 at 8:55 am said:

4 Player Local!!!! That is what I was waiting to hear. Now if only it would support the six axis and this game would be perfect> But the 4 player local makes it a must buy for me.

+ imPHOreal on March 16th, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

This is coming out on the same day as the racing game, blur, and I think that this is stands no chance.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on March 16th, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

I JUST FOUND OUT THAT THERE ARE NO OTHER MODES BESIDES RACING ON THE PS3 VERSION..THIS IS VERY DISSAPOINTING.YEAH ITS COOL TO CREATE AND SHARE WITH OTHERS..BUT NOT HAVING OTHER OPTIONS BESIDES RACING IS NOT COOL.HOPEFULLY THEY WILL HAVE DIFFRENT MODES AS A DLC,ALTHOUGH THEY SHOULDVE ALREADY BEEN IN THE GAME >:/..THIS GAME JUST WENT FROM A 10 TO A 8.5.THE P/C/S..IS AWESOME BUT DIFFRENT RACING MODES WOULDVE MADE THIS GAME PERFECT!

+ SPOOKULA209 on March 16th, 2010 at 9:52 am said:

that’s what I’m talking about, can’t wait

+ ykiki5 on March 16th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

I’m excited about this, but I have a BIG question…

I own two PS3s, one in the living room and one in a bedroom. Will I be able to use my by “bonus” character on each of my systems, or will I only be able to play with the bonus on whichever machine I started with?

+ acerazer1 on March 16th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

Awesome, I wish I could have all of them

+ LightningBlade18 on March 16th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

Will MNR support Sixaxis or Move as a steering wheel?

+ NJBill on March 16th, 2010 at 12:55 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this for a long time! I’ll have this on pre-order for sure. Looks like one of the “must have” games for 2010. Really looking forward to it. Will we be able to build larger tracks than what we could in the beta? Keep up the good work!

+ grey_jeep on March 16th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

Hey Chuck, will there be a unique tunnel style for each theme and can you make underwater tunnels, and tunnels through mountains?
I’ve already came up with 60 ideas for races!

+ CrazyDomo on March 16th, 2010 at 5:12 pm said:

Whoa.. now the real question is where to buy it.. Hmmm Decisions Decisions.. I really want them all..

+ spazski on March 16th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

UFG needs to work on making blank Mods to purchase at retailers or through their website, much like the Munny series or any other urban vinyl. I would buy one.

+ Krealan on March 16th, 2010 at 7:21 pm said:

Nice! This game is gonna be fun. Creating your own track is where it’s at.