Bloodborne

Introducing PlayStation.Blog Share

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 17, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The PS3 has changed a lot since it first debuted in 2006. Trophies, movies and TV shows on the PlayStation Store, in-game XMB and more have enhanced your experience – and some of you readers have let us know what else you’d like to see us do.

Unfortunately, this frequently manifests itself as an off-topic comment in an unrelated Blog post.

We know that many readers find such digressions annoying, but we’ve been reluctant to crack down on them as readers didn’t have a good place to formally make requests. Starting today, you do: I’m happy to announce the launch of PlayStation.Blog Share.

PlayStation.Blog Share Screenshot

Share is a subset of the PlayStation.Blog where readers can submit ideas to us about anything PlayStation-related as well as vote on the ideas of others. Many of you are already making suggestions to us, and we’ve always been listening (that’s the whole idea of the Blog), but now these ideas have an official place to call home. You can find the entrance to Share right at the top of this page.

Share uses a lot of the same Blog features you should already be quite familiar with, with the notable addition of a voting system. If you’ve ever visited Digg (or Reddit, etc.) you already know how this works: if you like an idea, you vote it up. If you hate an idea, vote it down. We’ll be keeping track of the popularity of an idea (the +/-) and also the volume (total number of votes). Authors that submit the most popular ideas will find themselves ranking on our leaderboard (which is really just for fun/bragging rights). It’s also important to note that we’re restricting idea submissions to one per person per day at launch, as we don’t want just a handful of people to “run the site.” We’d like to see ideas from as diverse a group of people as possible, and we think this rule will help.

You’ve probably got a few questions about how this all works, and for that we’ve made a pretty comprehensive FAQ that you’ll want to take a glance at before you get started. One thing I want to point out ahead of time is that yes, we’ll be reading these ideas. That said, we ask for your patience in advance; don’t expect Share to lead to overnight changes or actions. Moreover, if we can’t or don’t plan to enact certain ideas, we may jump in and tell you why not.

One final note – now that we’re providing a forum for suggestions (in addition to our long-established traditional Forums), it’s time to crack down on Blog comments. Starting today, moderation for off-topic comments will be much more strict.

That about does it – the PlayStation Social Media team has been working on Share for some time, and we hope you take the time to explore it. We’re quite excited to see what you have to say.

+ perrandy on March 17th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

i support this 10000000+

+ trumpet1394 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

This is a very Cool idea!!!

+ drdre74 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

Why even bother with this? You know its only going to be cross voice chat all over the place

+ mike1995 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ O_Razor_O on March 17th, 2010 at 1:23 pm said:

I love this thing xD ive posted 4 ideas (posted more but they didnt get added) and im already in the Top 5 :D!!!!

+ Pathard on March 17th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Sounds awesome, and I can wait to see how it works out down the road!

+ Jon_Mclane on March 17th, 2010 at 1:25 pm said:

Fantastic! No more having to read about cross game voice chat and how Sony is “screwing us over” in every blog post.

+ somethingatt on March 17th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

amazing stuff. site works very well as well.

+ Mattchewie on March 17th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

This is FANTASTIC news! When the blog launched I figured collecting user metrics off posts would fall into the land of nightmares!

Glad to see a more organized structure in place!

Here, have a virtual KUDO :D

+ bravo9zero on March 17th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

Something tells me this is for the “Premium” service..

+ ADR143 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

dam good job!

+ phinnv8 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:39 pm said:

This is excellent Sony… But you KNOW the top 2-3 things people have wanted on the PS3 for the past 3 years and haven’t added them. We got achievements, we got in-game XMB (which should be improved). Now you know what’s gonna be #1 without even looking at the page.

+ RuthlessEd on March 17th, 2010 at 1:41 pm said:

This feels a bit like when a municipality builds a skate-board park for teenagers. It appears that they’re doing it for the sake of the kids, but in reality, they’re just doing it to get all the kids off the streets and out of sight.

Sony doesn’t want any feature requests posted here on the blog because they want to start moderating the blog to make it even more of an “announcement” board — an advertising tool.

The suggestion site is great, but it completely kills open dialogue — especially on the topics most important to PS3 owners.

+ DlOd_ThrStyCoBrA on March 17th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

hey i hav a question why is my name spelled rong itz not how its spelled on psn ????????????/ plz help

+ DlOd_ThrStyCoBrA on March 17th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

itz spelled BludThirstyCobra

+ Sakimori_X on March 17th, 2010 at 1:49 pm said:

I sure hope the suggestion/voting functionality is locked down to PSN-account-holding users only. That would prevent users from manipulating the votes, and would prevent PS3 haters from down-voting every good idea (to the detriment of the whole community).

+ SDkngsht on March 17th, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

well overdo but well done! excellent improvement. Sony really has been on it the last year or so. best and getting better. the only complaint i have is that with all the games coming out i literally have NO time for sleep or studying. thanks a lot for that.

+ pencil420 on March 17th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Screw you Sony, I still can’t see blog vids on my ps3. For the first time in 18 months I can leave a comment though.

This blog looks horrible & takes too long 2 load. The ps.com forums have been completely unusable since the change!!!!! I used 2 spend 3 hours a day reading & learning about playstation on a playstation. Now the post are BLANK. i feel royally alienated and truly disgusted by your arrogance toward current ps3 owners. Even before the change i was incapable of giving kudos & other advanced features.

So now that ps3 users can’t use the forums they add heavier moderation on the blog. What is Sony’s definition of progress?
More sites that move on and leave the ps3 browser in the dust
Playstation.com never worked properly and now it’s worse.
I was never able to sign-in to the mag forums & I can’t access the leaderboard or mag.com. I bought a team-based game and I can’t discuss with the community. WOW THEY DO LISTEN 2 US!The ps3 mobile browser is still freezing me. I can inly get text e-mails WTF

+ Hidstar on March 17th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

This is really awesome. Thank you very much for this.
If you’re going to make it available for the EU PSB, maybe both the ‘PSB Share’ sites should be integrated, so you don’t have to check both sites all the time and add up the votes.

….Or should I submit that to PSB Share? ;)

+ MrBeatdown on March 17th, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

Thanks for adding this! More often than not, it feels like there is no good way of communicating with Sony, or any company in the game business for that matter. Even if you aren’t able to address our issues, I really appreciate that you are at least comfortable with allowing us to express our opinion right out in the open like this. Thanks again.

+ Fenrir_thomasb on March 17th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

yeah i ju submitted my ides as well. I’ll come up with more as time goes by im sure lol

+ EPRaider08 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:08 pm said:

I like this very much. Thank you Sony!!!

+ nickjd331 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

This seems like an incredible idea. However only time will tell how effective it is.

+ nickjd331 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Also, I hope it is added to the EU blog, hopefully with both linked together.

+ Oshimai on March 17th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

This is one the best moves by Sony. Thanks for this function and making it so accessible for everyone.

+ pencil420 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

If all the readers ever say is ‘thank you’ nothing will change. Progress comes from demanding fair treatment, not by ignoring the fact that Sony is a phantom & secretive corporation that only speaks out to advertise. I have always felt that they never truly answer anything. I’ve been a loyal adult for 18 months. Will I ever rebuild my faith in Sony?
“I’m working on it. I might be able to at least read the forums soon, but on second thought I don’t comment on rumours or speculation.”

+ dinkin-flicka on March 17th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

Great idea! This helps weed out the obligatory off-topic complaints/requests.

+ wU-sOLdiEr210 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:26 pm said:

Sounds nice but Sony has yet to answer the age old question
when are we going to have cross in game voice chat?

+ AztecaPride559 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

nice work u guys. this is awesome.

+ pencil420 on March 17th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

If any web pages worked on my PS3 browser I wouldn’t feel the need to call Sony out on shenanigans. Instead I am incredibly enraged that actual questions & concerns are not allowed as censorship and isolation grows.

Let me guess Patrick, you’re too busy with gdc to stand up for yourself like a man.

+ GibbShift on March 17th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

This was a great idea and I’ve torn through at least 5 pages already voting some good suggestions up. Would be great if Sony acted on the more obvious ones.

+ Andrefpvs on March 17th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

I can’t sign in to the blog using Firefox… AGAIN! It seems to be random whether it works or not… wtf?

+ Azure_FZ on March 17th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Now this is what I call Playstation Love.

Best Week ever.

This and just think, I’ll be kicking god *** in GOW 3, Or saving the world of cocoon in Final Fantasy XIII

+ nokedimyo on March 17th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

This has to be the best addition to the Playstation site yet. Not only will it eliminate spam, but also provide a forum for suggestions – Well done!

+ pencil420 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

@ 129
IT’S NOT RANDOM, JUST POOR DESIGN.
What’s the point of every ps3 user being able to use it anyway?
Now that we can’t communicate their secrecy grows exponentially.
Sony and third parties will save moderation time that will be spent on advertising. Games come out all the time that I’ve never heard about. Only on the forums and gaming sitres was I able to learn of a few that weren’t advertised.

+ Biggz124 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

*fap*

+ davivman on March 17th, 2010 at 3:12 pm said:

I put a legitimate suggestion up hours ago that has not been posted. I know for sure that there hasn’t already been a similar idea posted. There should be some sort of a notification if a post will not be accepted so that users can post a different idea.

+ pencil420 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Qore is a commercial people pay for. Along with it they give us themes that are free elsewhere and demos/betas. These demos/betas barely differ from the final product..

+ thegriefer on March 17th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

EVERYONE VOTE FOR A UNIVERSAL PARTY SYSTEM AND CROSS GAME VOICE CHAT!

+ VinxiUSA on March 17th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

Awesome idea.

Now we’ll be able to let you know how disappointed we’re about not having a PS2 emulation.

Can you take this wonderful idea to European blog as well?

Thank you!

+ SpyDudeFX on March 17th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

That’s awesome, I just submitted my idea!

+ imnotyourprey on March 17th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

Thank You, I believe this will help all of us in the long run.

+ Kchow23 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

Very nice!

+ Arion87 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:50 pm said:

Awesome idea!!! My idea is currently the 11th most popular idea, wooohooooo!!

Would it be too much to ask, that if our ideas get implemented, maybe have the PSN username of the person that came up with the idea either said (if the feature is announced at a press conference) or posted (with the details of a FW update eg). I dont want royalties, just a bit of recognition would be awesome ;) My ultimate dream would be to be flown up from South Africa to the E3 press conference to be there when my idea gets announced :) I know, a bit much too ask, I can still dream though ;)

Also, what happens to ideas if Sony does implement them? Are they removed from ‘share’ or disabled or what?

+ acerazer1 on March 17th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

This has been much needed, awesome to finally get something like this. I always feel bad for the last post on Thursday afternoon before the store update, it’s just cluttered with whiners who want free stuff from the update.

+ TwinDad on March 17th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Now this is worthy of a post. I never did like going off topic, but in talking to Jeff I knew you folks read them and took count of the good ones. Thanks for “sharing”.

+ Dramscus on March 17th, 2010 at 4:05 pm said:

Thank you so much. Totally made my day. Nay week.

+ Kirkpad on March 17th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

Holy moly! This will completely change the comment section.

+ green206-_ on March 17th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

I really like this idea alot. But how long is this feature expected to last?

+ PLiPhaze on March 17th, 2010 at 4:49 pm said:

Obviously I’m from across the pond (I visit both blogs regularly!) and i’m not too fond of your change in colour scheme. But this is TRUELY AWESOME!! and everyone wins too. Bravo!!