PS4 - Destiny

Introducing PlayStation.Blog Share

Patrick Seybold's Avatar + Posted by Patrick Seybold on Mar 17, 2010 // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

The PS3 has changed a lot since it first debuted in 2006. Trophies, movies and TV shows on the PlayStation Store, in-game XMB and more have enhanced your experience – and some of you readers have let us know what else you’d like to see us do.

Unfortunately, this frequently manifests itself as an off-topic comment in an unrelated Blog post.

We know that many readers find such digressions annoying, but we’ve been reluctant to crack down on them as readers didn’t have a good place to formally make requests. Starting today, you do: I’m happy to announce the launch of PlayStation.Blog Share.

PlayStation.Blog Share Screenshot

Share is a subset of the PlayStation.Blog where readers can submit ideas to us about anything PlayStation-related as well as vote on the ideas of others. Many of you are already making suggestions to us, and we’ve always been listening (that’s the whole idea of the Blog), but now these ideas have an official place to call home. You can find the entrance to Share right at the top of this page.

Share uses a lot of the same Blog features you should already be quite familiar with, with the notable addition of a voting system. If you’ve ever visited Digg (or Reddit, etc.) you already know how this works: if you like an idea, you vote it up. If you hate an idea, vote it down. We’ll be keeping track of the popularity of an idea (the +/-) and also the volume (total number of votes). Authors that submit the most popular ideas will find themselves ranking on our leaderboard (which is really just for fun/bragging rights). It’s also important to note that we’re restricting idea submissions to one per person per day at launch, as we don’t want just a handful of people to “run the site.” We’d like to see ideas from as diverse a group of people as possible, and we think this rule will help.

You’ve probably got a few questions about how this all works, and for that we’ve made a pretty comprehensive FAQ that you’ll want to take a glance at before you get started. One thing I want to point out ahead of time is that yes, we’ll be reading these ideas. That said, we ask for your patience in advance; don’t expect Share to lead to overnight changes or actions. Moreover, if we can’t or don’t plan to enact certain ideas, we may jump in and tell you why not.

One final note – now that we’re providing a forum for suggestions (in addition to our long-established traditional Forums), it’s time to crack down on Blog comments. Starting today, moderation for off-topic comments will be much more strict.

That about does it – the PlayStation Social Media team has been working on Share for some time, and we hope you take the time to explore it. We’re quite excited to see what you have to say.

+ JKC31 on March 17th, 2010 at 5:29 pm said:

Your moderating ideas. Strong feeling it’s all just a propaganda site.

+ x9248 on March 17th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

Very cool to request stuff… now lets see if you guys do anything on your end to make it happen. Some things I’ll admit are over the hill and unlikely, but there have been some major things that need fixing/updating and just because we “vote” for it doesn’t mean it’ll happen.

Not trying to be pessimistic or anything, just realistic.

+ dllscowboysfan on March 17th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

This is a great addition to the blog but I have noticed that most of the features at the top of the list are already available on the 360.

+ shadysaiyanz on March 17th, 2010 at 5:48 pm said:

I submitted my idea. One question though, is it me or did you guys delete and repost this? i swear i saw it below the 3D Dot Heroes post earlier.

+ Protohype on March 17th, 2010 at 5:53 pm said:

Seems like phase two of this blog is taking off real well. I like the addition of Share. I’ve submitted an idea.

+ Minck on March 17th, 2010 at 6:02 pm said:

Great idea! I assume you guys got sick and tried of all of us Canadians complaining on your Video Update posts! Thanks :)

+ perrandy on March 17th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

LOL alot of trolls are downvoting pretty nifty ideas from the ps community…i didnt knew that there were so many ppl agaisnt improving the platform one way or another.wow!

+ O_Razor_O on March 17th, 2010 at 6:21 pm said:

Yea its crazy, i actually had someone send me a message on the PS3 saying we dont need more friends on our list take it down, and im like O-o dude chill its a suggestion lol

+ anticulture on March 17th, 2010 at 6:24 pm said:

Hey, wait a minute…

You’re just putting us in the corner, aren’t you? :(

In all seriousness, I think it’s a brilliant idea. I just hope that the fine folks at Sony pay attention to the issues.

+ Gooddaysfall on March 17th, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

Here I share an idea how about you fix the problem with us owners of God Of War III preorder skin codes cause nothing is working and you said we would get the skin launch day to download…

+ Azure_FZ on March 17th, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

@156Yeah it’s a bit sad really.

I’m kind of iffy about making a blog. Too many idiots down voting you, either out of jealously, or pure trolling.

I’ve got tons of new ideas, no one has though about regarding PSN online gaming, but I know the crybabies will just down vote it.

+ RurouniSaiya-jin on March 17th, 2010 at 6:40 pm said:

Oooooooo, I like this idea. This should be good.

+ Callahan09 on March 17th, 2010 at 6:45 pm said:

Dear Patrick,

I submitted an idea right as soon as the Share feature was announced, and I think it’s a good one too. It was not a duplicate of any other submission (I used the search feature first), it was well-written and concise, and I expected it to show up within a few minutes. Well, it’s been about 6 hours now, and tons of submissions are showing up constantly, yet mine is still nowhere to be found.

So, I submitted it again.

I won’t be banned from participation for doing that, will I? I just figured there was some error in transmission when I pressed “submit” all those hours ago and that I thought trying again would do the trick?

+ ReIysis on March 17th, 2010 at 6:51 pm said:

Thank you for this. It’s a great way to truly know what your fans want in an organized fashion. It also makes us feel like you care about what we want. If this really is an attempt to enhance the PS3 based on what your users want, I greatly commend you for this update.

+ mikedo2007 on March 17th, 2010 at 6:57 pm said:

This is so ccol and something I can talk to Sony about, thanks for making it.

+ FPlus on March 17th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

Am i banned or something? None of my ideas went live nor any of my comments.. Please let me share my ideas and comments!!!!

+ UNIT-TRB on March 17th, 2010 at 7:31 pm said:

I think the new idea section is excellent just remember what kind of thing can really be implemented that will bring more gamers to the platform.

+ mixedkidbx on March 17th, 2010 at 7:38 pm said:

this should have been around long ago

+ aznkungfu on March 17th, 2010 at 7:48 pm said:

r u guys gonna do what we post on playstation.blog.share? or it gonna be nothing happened??

+ BlindMango on March 17th, 2010 at 7:55 pm said:

@153 They made the post “stick” to the top of the page, normally it would be under #d dot heroes until they stuck it to the top.

This is an awesome idea Sony but the real question is… will you guys listen to what we want?

+ KidCommando on March 17th, 2010 at 7:57 pm said:

@158 – Gooddaysfall

Did you beat the game yet? I think the new skins will not work until you beat the game at least once.

+ RuneKey on March 17th, 2010 at 8:06 pm said:

Im hoping Sony will actually pay attention to these requests….

+ RLx3 on March 17th, 2010 at 8:14 pm said:

Lol this is a great idea if everything works out. I love the mock up ideas u put in the screenshot.

+ SillyHatMafia on March 17th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

That is an awesome idea

+ I_am_rushin on March 17th, 2010 at 8:42 pm said:

Thank you for giving us an official voice we can unite under. Hopefully some of these things are passed over to the firmware guys.

+ doctoroflawls on March 17th, 2010 at 9:00 pm said:

Thank you for doing this. I know it is still early for this, since the platform just launched, but t would be great if every now and then someone from Sony posted there as well, if only to say “thanks for the feedback”, just so we know Sony is actually reading and appreciating all the suggestions, regardless of them being feasible to implement.

+ twinkie_factory on March 17th, 2010 at 9:00 pm said:

Greatest idea ever guys. Thank you very very much for making this.

+ TakiFuGu on March 17th, 2010 at 9:18 pm said:

Brilliant idea!

+ Homeboy329 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:21 pm said:

Best FEATURE on the BLOG so far:)

+ TheHakku on March 17th, 2010 at 9:27 pm said:

You’ve unleashed a monster! …And it’s fantastic!

+ Sunnyok on March 17th, 2010 at 9:28 pm said:

Looks Great!

+ JKC31 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

I tried submitting an ideas for a game for the PS Move and 200 letters was know were near enough to explain it. It was White Water Rapids in first person perspective. Had wind, rain, lightning, water splashing up on the screen. Co-OP, Skill events, and some mini game puzzle challenges based on picking the right direction or face the wrath of the falls. Each clue would be posted on a sign in the water giving a hint at what direction to choose. They would get increasingly harder as the further you go. Sounds would include water logged ear, tunnel/cave sounds, thunder, and natural water rapids. When water splashes up on your screen you have to shake your head to remove it. The captain of the team would come over the headset to help aid control while the rest would come over the TV/other output.

+ Skater_Ricky on March 17th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

I Submited my Better Idea About Cross Game Voice Chat which I think my Post needs to be up there instead because it has more ideas of it.. Hope mine makes it to the list and not be delete due to same type of post :(

And Posted about Our Comment Time not showing up on the Shared Posts with the Comments Please Fix that.

And When is the Best time to Post a Shared because all of mine havent posted yet :( why?

+ Ssj4Gogita20002 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:47 pm said:

Love the idea, I got tired of seeing the same suggestions over and over again within no-related topics. Also have a place to finally contribute some ideas, lol i was actually considering to just send in a letter.

+ phinnv8 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:52 pm said:

What’s the point of this Sony? This page is great but you know the most requested features and you have done nothing to implement them since trophies and in-game XMB. Those are things the console should have launched with, enough with playing catch-up the top 5 things on that list should be here by E3 2010.

+ Champ78 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:53 pm said:

Outstanding idea Sony. Lots of good ideas already there. Make ‘em happen!

+ Sunnyok on March 17th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

Make.Believe :)

+ xero93 on March 17th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

They’re just gonna get the most popular demands and make it available to people who pay an optional fee as part of a “premium member” deal. IT’S A CONSPIRACY I TELL YA!!

…Lol, jokin, you guys are too awesome for that.

But seriously, awesome stuff. Keep it up, Sony!

+ angelcoma on March 17th, 2010 at 10:26 pm said:

WTF.

Every idea submitted has more negatives than positives. Its like there are a group of trolls. I don’t see why all the negatives, most of the ideas are very solid.

+ Azure_FZ on March 17th, 2010 at 10:32 pm said:

@188

Could be be due to people being idiots.

Could also be Xbox signing in as PSN users.

+ Raacky on March 17th, 2010 at 11:20 pm said:

Then what are the forums for? Ah at least it’s something new, like DLC for the blog

+ burnedearth on March 17th, 2010 at 11:28 pm said:

Now it’s alot easier for sony to delete the negative feedback and actual good ideas someone might propose without anyone else knowing. My comments/suggestions shall remain within these posts.

+ solo013 on March 17th, 2010 at 11:34 pm said:

This is one of the best things you’ve done. Please actually read and try to do some of the stuff suggested there.

+ GreyWulf on March 17th, 2010 at 11:49 pm said:

I like this new feature and hope to introduce some new ideas to the fray and hope i get honest feedback.

As now i also like this new playstation.com and can now leave comments here for the longest I really couldnt post anything.

thanks again Mr Patrick Seybold…

Also would be nice to do all this from my PS3 if its not to much to ask, its not for lack of PCs on my part I have 3 and 2 laptops but most of the time the newer models are being used and I dont really leave my PS3 much.

I did hope to use my PS3 for Everything.

That should be my first idea to share lol…

Thanks Againg
GAP member for 6 years 49 weeks
joined to shape the future of gaming
hope sony shows more love to all GAP members.

(GAP)Gamer Advisory Panel..shout out to all my hommie Gap members.

+ CrimsonFox13 on March 18th, 2010 at 12:22 am said:

My comment is late, so I doubt anyone will read this, but you should change it so that it’s possible to change your vote!

+ legalize on March 18th, 2010 at 12:41 am said:

we have been screaming cross game chat for almost 4 years now and still it didnt happen… so i wonder if this will help or is this just an atempt to keep the trolls away…

nice try sony

+ legalize on March 18th, 2010 at 12:46 am said:

funny thing is “cross game chat” is on top under most popular lets see how long it takes to have this feature on ps3 untill that day playstation blog share is vaporware

+ big_e559 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:15 am said:

Great, just please listen to what we have to say and work hard to try and incorporate our ideas into our Playstation experience.
Remember it only does EVERYTHING.

+ Gess on March 18th, 2010 at 1:37 am said:

First you nick Nintendos idea’s now you want ours…lol gotta love sony

+ Clice on March 18th, 2010 at 1:40 am said:

There is a layout error in the Blog Share I think
When I browse the ideas, then in the buttom there is:
« Next / « More
Previous »

The problem is that they are pointing the wrong way. Next and more is always to the right, and Previous is suppose to be to the left side.