PS4 - Destiny

make.believe: thatgamecompany

Eric Koch's Avatar + Posted by Eric Koch on Mar 18, 2010 // Sr. Producer, SCEA Santa Monica Studios

As many of you have seen, Sony’s got a new brand message that we all believe in here at Santa Monica Studio. The ethos of make.believe is simple: believe that anything you can imagine, you can make real. We’ve had the fortune to work with thatgamecompany, an incredibly talented group of young minds with fresh ideas and complete conviction to follow their imagination. They’ve given the gaming world some of the most original and satisfying experiences to date, and we are very proud to be working with them. In the spirit of make.believe, check out the story of where they came from and how they succeeded. Enjoy!

46 Comments

+ cool_trainer on March 18th, 2010 at 10:06 am said:

nice

+ footballrule on March 18th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

I like Make.Believe. I have a few Make.Believe items in Playstation Home. Didn’t want to miss out on any item. :p

+ Zookey on March 18th, 2010 at 10:09 am said:

Good job!

+ Sigmakan on March 18th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Somewhat not related (but still is, so dont delete please), but I just heard a GoW3 ad on the radio this morning. Its terrible. It almost made me regret purchasing the game, its THAT bad. I love GoW, but daaaang this was a terrible radio ad. Please look into evaluating your radio marketing team ;)

+ Sindred on March 18th, 2010 at 10:12 am said:

Hehehe, I was hoping Make Believe was their next game. I was already getting stoked. Still, it’s nice to see them get recognized like this. Flower is still one of the most relaxing games I’ve ever played.

+ SGAShepp on March 18th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Good job guys, To both Thatgamecompany and Sony.

+ Tridon on March 18th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Jenova and the gang gave us one of the best games ever with ‘Flower’ and I can’t wait to see what comes next. ‘flOw’ was also an amazing experience but… ‘Cloud’? Looks like I’ll be hunting down a game.

+ BigBoss712 on March 18th, 2010 at 10:17 am said:

Can’t wait for the next game, i loved both flow and flower.

+ Tridon on March 18th, 2010 at 10:19 am said:

Actually, scratch that… Sony NEEDS to port ‘Cloud’ to the PSN.

+ xaos on March 18th, 2010 at 10:22 am said:

Good job team, flOwer never fails to get an emotional response out of me, especially that final level. Was that something new in development on Jenova’s monitor? :)

Also, Eric, my PSP is hungry for more Kratos!

+ taurus82 on March 18th, 2010 at 10:24 am said:

@Tridon, I second that.
TGC has yet to fail me, looking foward to their next experience.

+ PullusPardusUS on March 18th, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

You guys can get Cloud for free on their sites.

+ pgsdi on March 18th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

EPIC DEVS!!! bringing fresh ideas and turning them into reality….

+ MakaiOokami on March 18th, 2010 at 10:56 am said:

I can imagine 3 women falling in love with me at once.

I can’t make it real though T_T

I make.believe all the time. It’s called fapping.

+ eFunk25 on March 18th, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

Can’t wait to see what they come up with for the PS3 Move controlls.

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 18th, 2010 at 11:02 am said:

thatgamecompany are the coolest devs around and I can’t wait to see what they do next!

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 18th, 2010 at 11:03 am said:

thatgamecompany are the coolest devs around and I can’t wait to see what their next project is! Keep up the awesome work!! :D

+ jimmyfoxhound on March 18th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Ugh…. double post. :( could the new blog admins clean that up plz? Sorry about that! XD

+ JetSetFuture on March 18th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

Playing Flower or flOw is a great way to detox from a gorey gaming session. Any word on when the Flower soundtrack will hit PSN?

+ MLZ911 on March 18th, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

great video. thatgamecompany is truly a special gaming company. flow and flower both rock so hard! don’t know anything about cloud though, i’ll look that up

+ MLZ911 on March 18th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

ah man cloud looks amazing! is there any chance it will ever get released on PSN? (sorry for the double post)

+ sam_i_jam on March 18th, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

I wish we could get a taste at E3 of what Chen and company have up their sleeves.

+ theteam916 on March 18th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

nice video, and good luck to thatgamecompany with their future projects

+ linebeginstoblur on March 18th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

I’ve found the make.believe series very inspiring and what better story than thatgamecompany’s. I can not wait to see what they have in store for their next game and I’ve very proud of them for their award-winning titles, because they seem like the underdog, the ones taking a big chance, and it’s nice to see that there are a lot of people willing to give these games the chances they deserve. Congratulations, Chen, Santiago, and everyone else at thatgamecompany!

+ ModeSelektor on March 18th, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

I want more games
Thatgamecompany rules !!!!!!

+ Lucky13X on March 18th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

Didn’t the make.believe promotion start in Japan? So its not really new to Sony, just U.S.

Outisde of the GT driver promo and the ones featuring movie/entertainment/game directors, I think your Kevin Butler promos are more effective for the PS brand.

+ wocyob on March 18th, 2010 at 12:59 pm said:

ah i love sony and how they let people make what they want unlike most other companies milking the heck out of old IPs… sony your the best

+ Onarum on March 18th, 2010 at 1:17 pm said:

“Actually, scratch that… Sony NEEDS to port ‘Cloud’ to the PSN.”

yep, I agree 300%, cloud is absolutely amazing, and yes we can all get the pc version for free, but man, imagine cloud with Flower graphics…. do want

also congratz to TGC for the GDC award.

+ Berae on March 18th, 2010 at 1:21 pm said:

Nice! continue to give us experiences like no others.

+ lmike1234 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

Their games are interesting, I find them fun to play in between other big titles like FF13 and GOW3.

+ GettoYout on March 18th, 2010 at 2:05 pm said:

Inspiring… thanks

+ CrimsonFox13 on March 18th, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

Will we hear about their new game at E3?

+ sNsKid on March 18th, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

I love these make.believe videos. I even have the make.believe dynamic theme on my PS3.

thatgamecompany is so awesome!

+ PantherX on March 18th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

@4 Ur an idiot! explain how in gods name a commercial for a game u already know about and pre ordered effects u playing it at all? the more Sony does for ppl the more they complain i swear.

+ MadMeat001 on March 18th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

i hope to see more of their work, and i have a dream to but i won’t tell it until i realize it

+ p0wd3rd on March 18th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

I keep playing make.believe with myself, imagining you guys (or Bluepoint) will fix the lockup issues with God of War: Collection (http://forums.godofwar.com/t5/God-of-War-Collection/GOWC-Freezing-EDIT-Sony-support-fixed-my-prob/td-p/12926;jsessionid=627369D80282214DFD908FB63110EA2A). But obviously I am a delusional nut living in a fantasy world.

+ Jeigh on March 18th, 2010 at 3:22 pm said:

Can’t wait for thatgamecompany’s next title. Well, actually, I suppose that’s not accurate, because I can: take all the time you need to get it right- no point in rushing it just because I want it. (Developers get that signal wrong all the time, but I can see why pleasing me specifically is so high on their priority list.) XD

+ Dallas7999 on March 18th, 2010 at 3:31 pm said:

@34

Chen has said that thatgamecompany is not planning to release a game until 2011, if not later. The interview’s on Kotaku.

+ Midgetguy on March 18th, 2010 at 4:33 pm said:

I love ThatGameCompany!

ThatGameCompany and Quantic Dream are my favorite unique developer studios!

Naughty Dog and Insomniac Studios are my favorite developers studios that take what normal and make it better!

Those four are the BEST!

+ JKC31 on March 18th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

+ Elvick_ on March 18th, 2010 at 8:17 pm said:

thatgamecompany is my favorite developer.

I still need to try out Cloud, so hopefully my PC is up to the task. Can’t wait to buy Flower’s soundtrack.

+ Funky-Style on March 19th, 2010 at 5:03 am said:

thanks Sony support the créativity, art & new studios like that

+ LordRaoh on March 19th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

Very cool. And congratulations to thatgamecompany for all their awards and success. Looking forward to your next projects.

+ orangespiderpig on March 19th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

I’m just hoping both Flower and Flow get updated to work with the MOVE.

+ tonydamiani on March 22nd, 2010 at 6:55 am said: