LittleBigPlanet 3

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap Coming to PSN this Spring + PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe on UMD

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar + Posted by Dylan Cuthbert on Mar 18, 2010 // President and Executive Producer, Q-Games Ltd.

Well…what a great GDC we had. We spent most of our time in Sony’s Blogger’s Lounge previewing PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap for the various press people who came around to visit. And I’m here to make it official and let everyone know that we will be releasing PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap on the PlayStation Network this Spring.

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap screenshot 1

So, to recap for those who haven’t seen the various blogged reports on it, PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap is a bit of a fan service really – we went back to the original Racers and added Trophies, but we didn’t want to just stop there (just adding the bare minimum isn’t really what we do). So we added a whole new feature – ghost attack. What this does is record how you played whenever you register a new score on the high score tables, so anyone else in the world (including your friends of course) can play against you, trying to best your score.

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap screenshot 2

PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap screenshot 3 PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap screenshot 4

On top of that we made the single-player tournament a little easier to complete, so you can open up the ghost attack and various party modes even more quickly (and of course gain those Trophies more easily too!).

Just to go on the record – this game *isn’t* really a racing game. It’s as much a racing game as, say, Rally-X was back in the day, really. It is a slot-car based arcade game with lots of fun, wacky modes and ideas in it, and as a result is excellent fun if you get a few people round. And if you can’t get a few people around, the ghost mode opens up a ton of competition with your friends on the ‘net.

Now that I’ve covered off on 2nd Lap, I’m also here to deliver more news to the PixelJunk fans out there. This Spring, we will also be making PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe available on UMD! So, for those of you who prefer to have a hard copy of one of your favorite games … you are in luck. The UMD version of PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe will be available at participating retail outlets beginning April 27 for $19.99.

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe UMD box

For more information on the PixelJunk franchise, please check out our blog posts here and here. Continue to check back in with us for more information on 2nd Lap and everything PixelJunk here on the PS Blog!

PAGE 1 2

+ remanutd5 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

i love Pixeljunk Monsters on ps3 and psp , great news for psp owners

+ JesseHaysFL on March 18th, 2010 at 1:41 pm said:

That is so rad, I cant wait!!!!!!!!

Oh and by the way, saw you at the GOW3 event…..I was too afraid to say hello but I was wondering what do you think of ol’GOW3?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:41 am said:

Hey there, I got to meet a lot of people at that event, it was a lot of fun – GoW3 looks awesome! (we just got our copies in the office today)

+ SDkngsht on March 18th, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

looks good…definitely good news but can we get PixelJunk Monsters 2 on the PS3 or at least a third island DLC asap please? or the extra maps from Deluxe on the PS3. there are people who have run themselves crazy coming up with words and 5 digit combinations on the bonus island w/PixelJunk Monsters.

if you guys can please make that happen sooner rather than later lol. thanks for listening & keep up the great games.

+ Stinkinmushroom on March 18th, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

When are you giving info on your next game… The company is awesome but now you’re kinda being kinda lazy with your dlc’s and re-releases. I guess the next announcement are extra maps for Shooters..?

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:43 am said:

Lazy? We’re always mega-busy :-)
    But we can’t announce other stuff until it is ready.

We revisited Racers as a service to the fans out there who really wanted trophies, but decided to go a bit further and add some other bits.

+ Wolfram23 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

I bought the racer game, and it sucks balls. Very dissapointed but I guess I should have researched it more before hand.

PixelJunk should make a racer that isn’t on rails, like the old arcade game with dirt trucks and jumps and powerups…

+ Stuffgamer1 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

I’ll have to give PixelJunk Racers a look, then. Once this generic “Spring” comes to pass, that is.

+ Gunblader_ on March 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

UMD version of Pixeljunk Monsters? Sold

+ Big_Hawk97 on March 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

PJ Monsters is probably the greatest game to come out all year for the PSP. Time well spent!

+ SDkngsht on March 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

just realized the deluxe UMD is set for release on my birthday…man that’s a sign! lol…PixelJunk Monsters 2 would be the greatest birthday present EVER! hint hint

ok i’m done. peace.

+ JesseHaysFL on March 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

If you like slot racing or the “electric race cars with triggers” when you were a kid you will love this.

+ Craiji on March 18th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

Thank you for your constant support of your games, will buy 2nd lap day 1.

Now, where is my new visualizer???

+ ThisIsInsane on March 18th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

Great news about Pixel Junk Monsters Deluxe coming to UMD on PSP!!! If only the PSP had Pixel Junk Racers 2nd Lap now too…. :(

+ FranzH on March 18th, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

Aww, no online matches? :(

Nice update though :) Really fun game to play with friends!

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:44 am said:

The ghost mode lets you play “online” even when your friends aren’t which is kind of cool :-)

+ reson8er on March 18th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

Please Dylan, please please pretty please, more PJ: Shooter levels!

+ JesseHaysFL on March 18th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

And sorry Mr. Cuthbert I just realised that I came into the blog about your game announcement and asked about another game…..that was rude of me and I’m sorry for doing so.

That aside, everyone who came up in the early eighties should love this because we all had a glow in the dark racetrack that climbed our walls.

+ eksMAN on March 18th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

cool! whats the price on 2nd lap and wheres the shooter demo?

+ T3mpr1x on March 18th, 2010 at 1:48 pm said:

I liked PixelJunk Racers, but it definitely was difficult. These improvements have guaranteed a buy from me! Well done Q-Games!

+ ZildjianKX on March 18th, 2010 at 1:51 pm said:

I’d also love to see all the PixelJunk Monster PSP content arrive on the PSN version… and having all the trophies unlockable for co-op. Does anyone actually play PixelJunk Monsters by themselves?

+ mywhitenoise on March 18th, 2010 at 1:52 pm said:

It’s really cool to see developers go back and support older titles, and add trophies.

I wish Insomniac would take a cue from you, same with games like “Valkyria Chronicles”, “Hot Shots Golf”, “Heavenly Sword” and especially “MGS4″.

+ Trieloth on March 18th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Hellz yeah more PJ Racers :D !! OMG I didnt relieze you added trophies to the old version @.@

+ VixDiesel on March 18th, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Can’t wait. I gave up on PJR cause it was really boring and was somewhat disappointed in it. Hopefully these new updates will make it worth returning too. Just the easier difficulty will make it worth it.

+ megamixer on March 18th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

I tried Racers way back when but could never figure out how to play it right. In theory it should be a fun game but for me it was frustrating. :( Maybe this easing up on the difficulty will help? I would also hope the trophies aren’t nearly as hard to win as those in Monsters and Eden. By the way, will US and Europe ever get the Shooter demo which was released in Japan and Asia two months ago?

+ nixice on March 18th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

Heh, good idea to re-explain PixelJunk Racers. I wasn’t much into it when it first launched but the the Q-Games team has done such astounding work everywhere else, and some of the updates sound so promising, that I feel I’ve really got to give it another shot!

And I see that the PJ:Monsters UMD will have the online play intact — that’s great, because sometimes when a game is re-released a feature or two is dropped. Nothing is added or subtracted from the UMD version, correct?

+ MirThps on March 18th, 2010 at 2:08 pm said:

Great, any news on a PixelJunk Shooter expansion?

+ CaribouLou on March 18th, 2010 at 2:12 pm said:

I loved Shooter and Monsters and was on the fence with Racers and Eden. But I’m down for giving this a go. I think the Racers reboot will prove beneficial now that you guys are known as a AAA PSN developer.

+ Einhander138 on March 18th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s about bloody time.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:45 am said:

We went back to it especially for people like yourself :)

+ Moosehole on March 18th, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

I’m a bit confused… Is this a sequel to Racers or an update? Will people that already own Racers get this update for free?

Also, would really love to hear about DLC for PJ Shooter (my favorite PSN game ever) and hopefully a PJ Monsters 2 for PS3!

+ krae_man on March 18th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

So is 2nd Lap a patch for the original game or an all new release?

+ TwinDad on March 18th, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

Install feature to MS for the UMD version of Monsters Deluxe?

+ SDkngsht on March 18th, 2010 at 2:25 pm said:

@Wolfram23 that’s what demos are for my man…this is definitely not a racing game…if that’s what you were looking for this isn’t it…demos son…demos first whenever available…

+ VincentVendetta on March 18th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Thank God for the single-player progression. PixelJunk Racers was one of the very first PS3 games I ever had (along with Super Stardust HD), so I’m really happy about the new update.

+ colonel007 on March 18th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

Permission to recreate the tracks in ModNation Racers?

+ Korbei83 on March 18th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

It sounds like you’re holding trophies ransom. Care to clarify if it’s a patch? A booster? Both?

+ divine1000 on March 18th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

I hope you make more PSP conversions of PixelJunk games; PJM is possibly my favorite PSP title.

+ KidCommando on March 18th, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

Total bummer. Why didn’t you add online to Racers? Can’t believe you are re-releasing it without online play. That was the MAIN problem with the first one.

Love your games, but that is completely lame.

+ Jeigh on March 18th, 2010 at 3:16 pm said:

I’m with Korbei83 (32) on this one: there really should be some clarification here. I actually currently have PixelJunk Racers (bought Day 1) sorted into a folder called “Hatred” because I couldn’t stand it; I only have maybe 1/3 of all of the games unlocked because I was somehow expected to get golds and silvers on games that pissed me off just getting bronzes.

Maybe the difficulty adjustment can come as a separate free patch? (I won’t spend more money on a game I hate.)

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:47 am said:

It can’t be a patch or it would overwrite the original game and the hardcore gamers out there like that one quite a bit.

It’ll be a separate title, but if you already bought the original there will be an eligibility flagged to let you get 2nd lap for something negligible.

+ jimfear on March 18th, 2010 at 3:27 pm said:

i like the cover of the umd :)

+ daddychaddy on March 18th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

Ok so I guess I’ll say it if no one else cares about improvements to this game. where’s remote play for PJ Racers and in-game custom soundtrack. I mean really guys PJ monsters, eden and shooter are remote playable why not racers. Please answer that because I don’t understand.

+ Kirkpad on March 18th, 2010 at 3:39 pm said:

YESS… PJRacers update!

Dylan (you have the same name as me, same spelling too), you are too cool!

+ Kirkpad on March 18th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Wait… it better not cost anything. I just bought this game a little while ago.

+ TristanMike on March 18th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

I’d like to echo what some others are asking.

Can we please get some clarification on this. Will this be a patch, or a new release we have to buy ?

I’m assuming that it’s a rebranding, and all owners of the game get the updated version “free” so to speak. But come clarification would be nice please.

+ Sakimori_X on March 18th, 2010 at 4:39 pm said:

Racers is definitely one of the underappreciated gems in the PSN’s library. So glad to see it get a bit more love from the folks at Q and another shot at the spotlight in general.

+ Bashr21 on March 18th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

So when 2nd lap comes out will it be updated into the PixelJunk bundle? I would buy the bundle if that happens.

+ Kirkpad on March 18th, 2010 at 5:07 pm said:

Yeah I don’t think he would mention a price for PJM and not mention the 2nd lap price.

Makes it sound as though the 2nd lap is just an update and/or a free booster pack from the PSN Store.

+ Kirkpad on March 18th, 2010 at 7:41 pm said:

2ND LAP COSTING MONEY CONFIRMED!!

“For those of you that already purchased the original Racers, you can download 2nd Lap for an extremely small price (as in, around a dollar)”

-From IGN.com

I’m not sure if it’s worth it, if all we are getting is ghosts and a leaderboard with downloadable ghosts. There are probably some “ghost trophies” that require the add-on.

+ Elvick_ on March 18th, 2010 at 7:59 pm said:

PJM on UMD? I’ll buy it now then. I hope Patapon 2 makes it’s way to UMD. I’d actually buy it then. It deserves to be on a UMD. Patapon is godly.

PJR is hard as heck for me, but I’m glad it’s being updated. So long as I don’t have to spend anything on it. Otherwise, that’s some b/s.

+ Zezzler on March 18th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

Dylan…. wow.
you just never cease to amaze us with more and more awesomeness.
You. Are. A. Bro.

Dylan Cuthbert's Avatar

+ Dylan Cuthbert on March 19th, 2010 at 12:48 am said:

Have fun! – it was a lot of fun for us to revisit and play with Racers again.

+ johnnyroastbeef- on March 19th, 2010 at 5:16 am said:

I love edenI play it all the time[when I need a break from mw2]I always wanted to try shooter and monsters,and I think this will motivate me to pick it up.can’t wait!

+ HouseMorton on March 19th, 2010 at 9:34 am said:

You guys rule. Just wanted to pop in and say that.

When will we get a sneak peak at this year’s pixeljunk plans (like last years preview)? Is pixeljunk dungeon (1-4?) dead?

+ acerazer1 on March 21st, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

Wow, that’s freakin awesome, been playin Racers on and off for over a year now. Didn’t know it was getting trophies though, will definitely get me back into it. Love Q-Games; great games, great support, great relationship with their fans.

This and everyday shooter are probably the only non-trophy games I’ve played nonstop, which is kind of sad. I need to go to trophy rehab. Sigh.

PAGE 1 2