PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

The PlayStation Recap

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Mar 20, 2010 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Greetings, PlayStation Nation! It’s time for a proper introduction. I’m Sid Shuman, and I’m the newest recruit of the PlayStation.Blog team! You might know me from my 11 years with GamePro, where I served as writer and senior editor covering my favorite topic in the world: video games!

In my new role with the PlayStation.Blog, I’ll be working with fine folks like Jeff Rubenstein and Chris Morell (a fellow partner-in-crime from my GamePro days!). My day-to-day focus will be updating and maintaining PlayStation’s official Twitter account (Follow us: Twitter.com/SonyPlayStation) and Facebook page (Facebook.com/PlayStation), as well as helping moderate and maintain our new PlayStation.Blog Share, where you can submit your own great ideas to the PlayStation team. We read every one of them!

I’m proud to be a part of a PlayStation team and, especially, to be serving you. So without further ado, let’s take a closer look at the week’s posts on the PlayStation.Blog. See you on the internets!

• Wakeboarding HD Coming to PSN March 25 — If you love Jet Moto, Hydro Thunder, SSX, or Crazy Taxi, you owe it to yourself to check out this gorgeous hi-def PSN title. Dodging sharks while busting monster wakeboard trick combos: yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s a win.
  • ModNation Racers Release Date, Pre-Orders and Box Art! — Zoom, zoom, zoom! I played this nimble kart racer at GDC 2010 for the first time, and was pleased by the tight controls (epic drifting!) and the adorable character designs. Better yet, the track creator is one of the best user creation tools I’ve ever seen. This one deserves your attention.
  • God of War III Launch Special Tonight on SPIKE TV + Midnight Launch Events! — The Game To End All Games is (finally) here, and the midnight launch festivities couldn’t have been more epic. Catch up on the Spike TV special, too, hosted by GameTrailers’ Geoff Keighley and featuring a special appearance by God of War III director Stig Asmussen.
  • PlayStation.Blog God of War III GDC 2010 Meetup Recap — Epic game + epic fans = epic community meetup. San Francisco will never be the same after our record-shattering God of War community event, featuring a blistering Challenge of the Titans competition, countless raffle prizes, and a special God of War III play session. Intense!
  • Coming to PSN this Week: Patchwork Heroes — In this charming PSP game, you carve pieces off gigantic airborne battleships using a saw. Epic AND cute: what’s not to like? The theme song deserves extra points, too.
  • God of War III Out Today! — The wait is over: Kratos will have his revenge. The first level alone is enough to take your breath away. What are you waiting for?
  • New Limited Edition Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker PSP Entertainment Pack — This limited edition PSP Entertainment Pack is a killer deal. Fully loaded with a 2GB Memory Stick, free PSN movie voucher (US only), exclusive DLC, plus the slick “Spirited Green” PSP-3000. And, of course, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker, the latest chapter in Hideo Kojima’s powerful series.
  • Meet The Tester Cast Members Luge and Doc in PlayStation Home Tomorrow — Regular viewers of The Tester might have wondered whether Doc and Luge had “a thing” for each other. If you made it to our in-Home meetup with these popular contestants, you’d have gotten the chance to ask them for yourself!
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes Walkthrough — If you’re elderly enough to remember the 8-bit and 16-bit generation, 3D Dot Game Heroes will be right up your alley. It’s both a tribute to, and a parody of, the Golden Age of Gaming. Let Atlus’s Aram Jabbari give you the full tour!
  • Introducing PlayStation.Blog Share — Since starting with the fine folks of the PlayStation.Blog, Share has been a near-obsession of mine. The concept of fans contributing fresh ideas to PlayStation, and voting on them, is a powerful one. Have you Shared today?
  • This Week in PlayStation Home: Twisted Metal, Resistance, inFAMOUS Content + Musicality Apartment, PlayStation.Blog Meetup and More!!! — Home gets hotter with a slew of content updates. And in another first for the PlayStation.Blog, Chris, Jeff, and I held a virtual meetup in the Central Plaza and Theater to meet and greet fans and give out sweet exclusive items. We hope to make these Home meetups a more frequent event — stay tuned!
  • UNCHARTED: Eye of Indra Motion Comic Bundle, Rika and Pinkerton Skins Launch on April 1 — Readers have long clamored for access to the Rika Raja and Daniel Pinkerton skins for Uncharted 2′s multiplayer mode. The wait is over! Read how to claim the booty in this blog written by Arne of Naughty Dog!
  • echoshift Add-on Levels Free Through April 1 — There’s still time to grab seven free add-on levels for this brain-twisting PSN puzzler, but only if you act fast.
  • make.believe: thatgamecompany — thatgamecompany is famous for introducing Flower and flOw to gamers worldwide. But where did this innovative independent game studio come from? How did they get started? All secrets are revealed in this short, beautifully shot documentary video.
  • PlayStation Comics Store Update — Comic geeks, rejoice! The PlayStation Comics Store grows ever-larger: highlights include Dragon Age # 1, Star Trek: Nero # 3, and The X-Men (1963) # 6 through #10. Remember: reading is fundamental!
  • The Tester – Episode 5 Available Today — With only three episodes left, The Tester is heating up! If you’re a newcomer to the show, there’s never been a better time to check it out. There’s only three episodes left! No spoilers!
  • PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap Coming to PSN this Spring + PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe on UMD — Dylan “Mr. PixelJunk” Cuthbert gives the skinny on eagerly anticipated updates to the smash-hit PSN game series. With PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe hitting the PSP on UMD for only $20, and PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap getting a beefy upgrade on PSN, now’s the time to dive into this celebrated retro-styled series.
  • First MAG DLC free, coming next week — Zipper Interactive wasn’t kidding when they said their support for MAG had only just begun. Rejoin the fight with potent new Flashbang Grenades, new Light Machine Guns, and a double-XP weekend starting March 25th. All hail MAG!
  • PlayStation.Blog Moves East next week. Come Meetup with us! — Meet Jeff and the PlayStation.Blog team in Boston and New York next week! Of course, we’ll have cool prizes and gaming swag to hand out. But the real attraction will be hands-on sessions with PlayStation Move, our state-of-the-art motion controller coming later this Fall!
  • PlayStation Network Video Content Update — Lots of scrumptious new video content to peruse this weekend on the PSN Video Store, including Twilight Saga: New Moon, Ninja Assassin, Universal Soldier: Regeneration, and my personal favorite History Channel TV show, MonsterQuest (This week: Sasquatches!).
  • No April Fool’s Joke – Heavy Rain Taxidermist DLC Available April 1 — Gain a different perspective on Heavy Rain’s storyline with this standalone side story set in a very bad part of town. Can you evade certain death while hiding in an urban den of horrors?
  • ModNation Racers: Redesigning Kart Racing — Building a Better Kart Racer: Get a better ‘handle’ on ModNation Racers’ controls and feel with this informative new video.
  • Fat Princess: Fistful of Cake Trailer and Interview — Learn more about the exclusive new content planned for the PSP version of this team action-RPG, including new modes, new maps, and a beefier (cakier?) story mode. Viva la girthiness!
  • LittleBigPlanet: Sack It To Me – The Hedgehog Edition — Holy crap! Sonic the Hedgehog is hitting LittleBigPlanet and we’ve got the full scoop straight from the developers.

MAG Logo

Courtesy of Jeremy Dunham

UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves banner

Courtesy of Arne Meyer

• Eye of Indra Bundle with Rika and Pinkerton skins to be released in North America – Covered in full detail on the PlayStation.Blog, the Eye of Indra motion comic bundle will be available for purchase on April 1 in the US, Canada and Mexico. You can get the Rika and Pinkerton multiplayer skins by purchasing the bundle and we’ve made sure that anyone who has purchased all the individual episodes also get the skins.
  • Player spawn point updates being rolled out – Over the past couple of weeks we noticed that our spawn points needed some tweaking. We announced this week that we’re rolling out updates to UNCHARTED 2 over time to our multiplayer maps to alleviate unfair player spawning during matches.
  • UNCHARTED 2 wins 4 awards at the GAME British Academy Video Game Awards – Evan and Christophe were on-site at the awards ceremony in London, United Kingdom, to accept four BAFTA awards for Action, Original Score, Story and Use of Audio.
  • The Art of UNCHARTED 2: Among Thieves – out in April 2010 – Ballistic Publishing, SCEA and Naughty Dog are pleased to reveal the upcoming 272-page art book of concept art, production art and character models. The art book will come in three flavors for collectors of all kinds. You can pre-order now, and there’s even a limited release pre-order bonus – a 15 minute video walkthrough of 3 concept pieces.

+ almighty-slayer on March 20th, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

Welcome to the Blog, Sid.

+ Carl-G on March 20th, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

Love ‘PlayStation.Blog Share’ Cool idea ;)

But will we ever get what we want on that List?
[i want PS2 Playback back on PS3 mainly on that List]

+ perrandy on March 20th, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

welcome to the blog sid! wish you the best in this new endeavour of yours! :)

+ CRIS1HIAN on March 20th, 2010 at 9:18 am said:

Hey PlayStation team, I’ve been looking up and down for the collectors editiof of god of war 3, and I can’t find it. This is a shame because I really want to play this game but I don’t want to buy the regular game (I want the pandora box)
do you know if there is any store or anyway for me to get the game?

+ Jeff Rubenstein on March 20th, 2010 at 11:45 am said:

They’re completely sold out (and have been for some time). However, we’ll probably do a contest or two in the coming weeks with the opportunity to win one.

+ MLEW85 on March 20th, 2010 at 9:19 am said:

Wakeboarding HD makes me want a new SSX game even more.

Also, nice to see Home is adding Twisted Metal content – hopefully in preparation for the announcement of a new Twisted Metal in the coming months!

+ Gunwing on March 20th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

Yes welcome to the blog! Also looks like things keep looking up for PlayStation! Keep up the good work on the PS3 front! Any chance we can get info on the next firmware update soon!?

+ filthyvillain on March 20th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

Have gotten more replies than ever on Twitter this week, so you must be doing a great job thus far, Sid! Welcome to the PlayStation family. :)

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

Great to hear , and yes, I’m all about “personalizing” Tweets. :-) Thanks for the warm welcome!

+ EatDeath on March 20th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Hey Sid, so glad to have you as an additional guide in the PlayStation Nation!

+ phinnv8 on March 20th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

This has indeed been a good week for the PS Blog but lets face it the best thing is the PlayStation Blog Share. It’s great that we can now officially voice our requests to Sony. But it’s important to note that the entire thing is meaningless unless they actually put priority to those popular requests and good ideas and implement them soon not years from now.

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

Pretty cool, eh? :) Glad you like it!

+ footballrule on March 20th, 2010 at 11:04 am said:

Hey Sid! We met on Playstation Home in the Theater. I just wanted to say that the God of War release was the best thing that happenned this whole week. I’ve been playing the heck out of it since i got it yesterday. About to fight Cronos. :p

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 12:40 pm said:

Oh man, you are WAY further than me, I just beat Hermes. No spoilers!!! Glad you had a good time in Home, we’re hoping to do more meetups with our Homies.

+ Kchow23 on March 20th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

great week… God of War III is too EPIC

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

Tell me about it. The Poseidon fight melted my face…I played it three times it was so awesome.

+ Jon_Mclane on March 20th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

Welcome to the family Sid. Once your in there is no way out. We’re like a gang, we wear our baseball caps backwards and stuff.

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

I shudder to think of the initiation ritual…

+ Capt-Fury- on March 20th, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

welcome Sid! are you ready for the “chaos”!?

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:55 pm said:

“I AM THE GOD OF WAR!”

+ katsuo7171 on March 20th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Welcome to the Blog Sid and welcome to the Playstation Nation. Now that you’ve formally introduced yourself to us on the blog why don’t you formally introduce yourself on PSN. What’s your PSN username?

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Thanks Katsuo. I’ve been using “SidPS” since joining, as jy personal account “shumanji” needs a friends list pruning. Hope to see you on the internets! And thanks for the warm welcome, guys. :)

+ Kchow23 on March 20th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

Jeff, will Canadians have a chance at the contest for the Ultimate Edition? and I hope they take into account what is up at the Share site in upcoming firmware updates!

P.S Welcome Sid Shuman

+ NEJI64 on March 20th, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

today is my b- day

+ Kchow23 on March 20th, 2010 at 12:48 pm said:

Also any update on the PS Blog Podcast?

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:54 pm said:

KChow, the podcast lives still and we discuss it frequently. Hang tight for updates!

+ AquaAssassin on March 20th, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

Welcome to the Blog!

Share is awesome but…

You need a report(duplicate,not possible, etc.) button for Share Ideas. Also need a thumbs up/down for all comments for Share and Blog. So misinformed individual’s comments can be down voted(eventually hidden from significant amount of down votes). Up voting will put more emphasis(visually) on posts so it stands out and people will see the good comments. Don’t forget the ability to reply to individual comments.

I found a bunch of duplicates, if you are interested I can link you to all of them.

+ Sid Shuman on March 20th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

Aqua, thanks much — we weren’t expecting such a massive response to Share, and we’re definitely aware of/examining the kinds of issues you mentioned. If you have a list of dupes, I’d love to see it!

We’re glad you guys are digging Share. The passion you guys have is an inspiration! And yes, we read all of them. :)

+ gold5225 on March 20th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

I haven’t checked yet today but over the past days since share launched I submitted 3 ideas and none of them were used even though when I submitted their were Zero duplicates.

+ Moti_D on March 20th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

Is it true Insomniac Games are going multi-platform?

+ TubaDude49 on March 20th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Good luck Sid!

+ Andrefpvs on March 20th, 2010 at 3:43 pm said:

Welcome, Sid!

So I sent in an idea last Thursday about adding a notification for when you level up your Trophy level.

There’s not a similar suggestion on Share about that yet.

Is my idea still in the validation queue? Or do you reckon that by now it is lost forever? Just curious about the process.

Good luck, now it’s Jeff+Chris+Sid we’ll be bothering, heh? I’ll be referring to you as JCS :E

+ hking0036 on March 20th, 2010 at 4:14 pm said:

Hey, Sid, Is there anybody you can bother to get CTR on the Psn in the USA, Because that was my FAVORITE PSOne Game ever, and I don’t Really want to make a UK account. sorry if its a bother, its just my favorite… :)

+ ProwlingFox on March 20th, 2010 at 6:44 pm said:

WOW, that’s a lot of posts in one week…..very nice!
Hi Sid.

+ PullusPardusUS on March 20th, 2010 at 11:08 pm said:

hey Sid why isn’t my ideas showing up ? i understand that my first idea was duplicate but did you guys just ignored the rest? xD

btw welcome to the blog!

+ Jeeves_Tremor on March 20th, 2010 at 11:39 pm said:

One of us…
One of us…
One of us…

This was indeed a good week, hopefully the next week will be even better if i can get my mitts on GoW3, amongst the other things on my list. Finding old PS2 games can be quite the chore.

+ Azure_FZ on March 21st, 2010 at 12:05 am said:

Sorry, forgot to check the blog.

Been too busy, kicking ass on God of War 3.

Most epic game ever made.

Chaos mode good god, freaking beyond hard.

+ Finalsquall on March 21st, 2010 at 12:34 am said:

Welcome Sid… Looks like the PS Nation is getting stronger every year :D

+ Jonnya42092 on March 21st, 2010 at 3:09 am said:

hey, just wanted to say welcome to the playstation family, also i was just on ps share and it says 0 ideas have been submitted, i searched and there are no ideas, whats going on?

+ JpaQ on March 21st, 2010 at 5:55 am said:

SHARE IS AWESOME. A lot of people want the same things i want. And i also have some ideas (big and small) to unleash to the world.

+ altair_killer on March 21st, 2010 at 6:26 am said:

glad to see my dearest blog is now in the hands of a professional video game journalist(along with jeff and chris)..Welcome to the playstation family sid :) we hope its the beginning of a great friendship

+ Sid Shuman on March 21st, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

Thanks Altair_killer! Thrilled to be here, for sure.

+ KidCommando on March 21st, 2010 at 6:59 am said:

Welcome to the Blog Sid. Although I don’t use Facebook or Twitter, another addition to the PS team is always welcome.

+ BigBoss712 on March 21st, 2010 at 8:36 am said:

Was a good week, and welcome Sid.

+ Thrasher20 on March 21st, 2010 at 9:45 am said:

Welcome to the Blog Sid

+ Shacojin on March 21st, 2010 at 9:55 am said:

Awesome stuff happening here in the PlayStation Universe!! **We need MORE Avatars on the PSN!!**

+ BlooodyCow on March 21st, 2010 at 10:04 am said:

Jeff, quick question.
For the Blog meet up on Tuesday in NYC, can I bring my friend even if she is not 21? She is 20 and would love to try the motion controller.

+ R3Dinstinct on March 21st, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

I’m lovin playstation right now I need a ps3 slim

+ davidbadass13 on March 21st, 2010 at 10:40 am said:

Quick question for Sid
Do you still work for Gamepro or just the PsBlog now?

+ Sid Shuman on March 21st, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

David, I work exclusively for the Blog. But I’m glad to see my old GamePro friends doing a kickass job with the magazine and site! I left it in good hands… XD

+ Sid Shuman on March 21st, 2010 at 12:32 pm said:

And thanks to everyone for your warm welcomes and kind words. I’m humbled to be a part the family! :)

+ eddieMX07 on March 21st, 2010 at 8:52 pm said:

wow a new person here that the blog . welcome to the Wonder World of Playstation. I’m gonna call you Sid Vicious since that’s a badass name for the God of War!

+ TT57bird on March 22nd, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

gold5225 you’re not the only one. i have the same problem. tried to tell Psn, no reply. we should compare bank accounts, maybe we just don’t rate with them. to answer a ligit question is only courteous. to rectify the problem shows responsibility. Psn has lost my respect. if they do use any of the ideas, the submitter may have to pay for his thankyou. by the way online stats for high velocity bowling haven’t updated since mar11, must be practice games cause you’re sure not getting any credit for them. who cares? they’ve already got my money.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on March 22nd, 2010 at 6:23 am said:

So you’re the guy who never tweets back to me. I’ve been asking some very important question only to NEVER EVER get a reply, C’mon Sid, its your Job.
I am ThatSonyGuy.