PS4 - Destiny

ModNation Racers PS3: Bringing Back the Split-Screen

Mat Thomas's Avatar + Posted by Mat Thomas on Mar 23, 2010 // Game Designer, United Front Games

Greetings! Mat from UFG, back again to talk about all the split-screen goodness in ModNation Racers for PS3!

There are two multiplayer experiences that we were keen to deliver in ModNation Racers. First, there was the online race experience (up to 12 players), while the second was the couch racing experience. It is hard to beat the multiplayer experience on the couch against friends – I think we can all remember this experience from other games we have enjoyed, and we were keen to make sure we delivered the same frantic experience for ModNation Racers.

Modnation Racers PS3 Two-Player

We wanted to make sure we delivered two-player split-screen. From the start, we wanted our two-player split-screen to work online. ModNation Racers enables you and a friend to go online and play the game together. This makes for intense competition and a lot of fun! Do you play together, helping each other out or do you take your friend out at every available opportunity? You can play action races and pure races together. More importantly, two players can play together on any tracks developed by United Front Games or anyone online. It makes for an almost endless experience that two players can enjoy together.

Modnation Racers PS3 Four-Player

Finally, we decided to deliver the four-player couch experience. This was a lot of work, but we have managed to create a great experience where four friends can settle down for some great kart racing. What we have delivered is a fantastic local multiplayer experience reminiscent of some of our best local multiplayer play sessions from years gone by. Sit down with friends and family and battle each other to see who the best is! Again, you can play action or pure race, as well as race on any tracks in the game created by United Front Games or other players.

Overall, our multiplayer experience has been created to cater to all different players, and we feel that when people play the game they will be able to get the experience they desire. Here in the office, we all play it on a daily basis with each other, whether it be online or at someone’s desk in split-screen. The game is so much fun to play and with us nearing completion of the title, we can’t wait for all our fans to join the ModNation in May! And be sure to head over to GameTrailers to catch the first four official behind-the-scenes videos! See you all then!

PAGE 1 2 3

+ zerolaff on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:15 am said:

Now there’s a chance I’ll buy it.

+ sscoolChea on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:18 am said:

The beta was so much and it was probably 10% of the full game . I can’t wait till may 25th to play the full game .

PLAY . CREATE , SHARE

+ NewYork214 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

Thank You. i hate how all of the developers cut out Split-Screen. I will be buying this game the second i get the money to pick it up

+ Ar4chNova89 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

This just increased the chances of me purchasing the game from 100% to 200%.

Props to not only United Front Games, but Sony as a whole, for keeping games pure and just plain fun. You can throw motion control and 3D technology onto any product, but if it doesn’t meet the simple demands of the consumer then it won’t go anywhere.

Really looking forward to this.

+ Korbei83 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

I’m on board. And hey! Get a petition going at UFG demanding a video store in Canada. :)

+ Huuuze on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:23 am said:

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

It’s a helpful Track Map.

+ jh6269 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

Please make reducing the loading times your top priority. I really love the game the way it was in the beta, just not the loading times. I’m still going to buy it either way, but the loading times were probably the most frustrating part of it for me.

+ Dignant22 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

4 player split screen? Saw the picture, I didn’t even have to read the post. Day one purchase for me!

+ Ramage on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

Is 4 player split screen online too? It seemed kind of vague and I know I’ve heard this question around since you announced 4 player split screen but I’ve never seen a proper response.

Also, 4 player split screen works with 3 players as well right? I don’t need to have 1,2,4 players right?

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

2 player split screen is both online and offline. 4 player is offline and can work with 3 players with a track map on the 4th screen. Hope that helps clear things up. :)

+ MakulaTolkien on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

2 player Split-screen online multiplayer looks awesome! DAY ONE!

+ kosluftar on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:29 am said:

totally buying this because gf destroys me in diddy kong racing on the n64. i think i should be able to beat her in this game because i’m better at the dualshock.

+ BlackIceJoe on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

I am so happy to hear four player split-screen will be in ModNation Racers. To me split-screen is the one feature I want the most in games. Almost all the time now you see developers making games have you using multi-player only online. To me that is not fun. I know some people like playing online with people they do not know. But for me that will never be as fun as playing with your friends or family. So I am happy to see split-screen added into ModNation Racers and hope in the future more developers will put this almost all but forgotten feature back into there games. Because believe it or not Split-screen Rocks!

+ pecorre on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Important question about 2 player splitscreen!

Can you change between vertical and horizontal during splitscreen. Horizontal is unplayable on smaller widescreen TV.

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Mat Thomas on March 23rd, 2010 at 5:18 pm said:

2-player split screen will be divided horizontally. You will be happy to know we spent a long time working on getting our horizontal cameras to properly show all the action on screen. We are happy with the result and I think you will be as well.

+ LN_MEXWARRIOR on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

The addition of splitscreen online and 4 player offline mp sold me on this game! I was interested in it but now its a day one buy for me.

Will this also have CUSTOM SOUNDTRACKS?

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:55 pm said:

In a sense yes! If you play music on your XMB, that’s the music that will replace the in game soundtrack.

+ h4l0fw1nt3r on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

I’m definitely buying it now!

+ kristophergrin on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

looking forward to this!
day 1 purchase? more then likely.

+ adampa on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:37 am said:

Yes thank for for including split screen, this gen is lacking in quality games you can play with friends at home!

+ SykoTech on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:40 am said:

First Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, now ModNation Racers. Could developers be realizing that splitscreen is still vital? One can only hope.

I’ll definitely be picking this game up sometime. It’s been looking better with each trailer, and splitscreen means me and my little bro can play together. Online even!

+ nickjd331 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

I love split-screen online, so this news is great.

+ Kxpuc on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

I hope you guys realize this made the game from a likely buy 1-3 months after release to a 1st week buy. Thank You

+ Rhino136 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

Just by the title of this post, it tells me that I am not the only noticing that there has been a significant lack in splitscreen games. I’m just glad a developer noticed.

+ Raacky on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Wellp there’s the purchase stamp for this game. You know i really like the split-screen and 4 player split-screen OFFLINE, but the ONLINE split-screen is what will truly shine, every game needs to incorporate this (well not EVERY, but at least a lot or some for that matter), now FPS’s should follow suit with the online split-screen! Great job! Will definitely look forward to buying!

+ LILBUDDY2000 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

Well I already have the game reserved. However, the only thing the game was missing has now been addressed. I’m very excited about both online variations. THANX!

+ Sindred on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:54 am said:

Can’t wait. I was on Beta and already this was rocking. Can’t wait to see how much better it is in two months.

+ plaztiksyke on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

Is the final game going to have all those aliasing artifacts? (I’m looking at the 1280×720 original on flickr.) What, specifically, doesn’t allow for 2X (or higher) MSAA or 1080p native graphics? Wipeout HD was able to do it decently, and it did it at 60fps (for the most part).

If this is just a result of screen capture/encoding/flickr upload, let me know.

+ Airwalkinman17 on March 23rd, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

Much like everyone else here…
Thank you for the split screen support!!!
You heard my cries! Thank you thank you thank you!
Plus the ability to play online in split screen with a friend is so awesome.
You will recieve my money day 1 for these features alone.
Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ W0lf_MAN21 on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Sounds great!
Having friends over for some split-screen brings back a lot of memories. Now all that can return with ModNation Racers. Time for some 4-player split-screen epicness!!

It’s also good to know that UFG actually heard, and then responds to the demand during the beta testing. So thank you UFG for actually listening to your fans and beta testers. ( I was one of them btw! lol)

+ MFTW on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Is this a disc based game or downloadable and how much will it cost.
Loved the beta
split screen is good online because I can still play what I want when the 3 year old wants to play also

+ el_Quinto on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Battle Mode?

+ AlphaTribe2007 on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

Hopefully my YLOD PS3 will be back in time to get this… I am missing out on some good games right now :(

+ Archonik on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

Am I reading this right?
It’s 1-2 local players online and 1-4 local players offline, right?

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:18 pm said:

Yes you are! 4 player split screen offline and 2 player split screen online. (Up to 12 online players a race) You can of course and single player online too. :)

+ Army_of_Lefty on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

Hello Mat Thomas, just got a few questions

will there be online multiplayer where you and ur friends at home can race together online? also will there be custom sound tracks included or will it be set sounds? this game looks great and a definite buy like LBP. i enjoyed the beta and will hopefully love the game.
thanks
-lefty

+ WindedHero on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:10 pm said:

I seriously hope you can choose horizontal / vertical split screen. Horizontal sucks IMO.

+ Jeigh on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:14 pm said:

That’s awesome news! You’re really capturing the full essence of LBP here, not to mention expanding the number of games with single-console multiplayer. My greatest thanks and praise.

+ BlindMango on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

You guys are simply amazing, thanks!!

+ Carl-G on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Cool.

MORE 4 player split-screen games SONY PLEASE! ! ! :P

+ TheRealAlpha2 on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:20 pm said:

@6
“I’m hoping someone will *finally* answer this question: when you use the 4-player split screen with 3 players, what appears in the 4th screen?”

They answered this in the last MNR Blog update: Minimap

+ AquaAssassin on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:22 pm said:

Will there be a BattleMode? Arena like map using weapons to defeat other cart racers?(Mode that many competitor kart racers have such as Kiddy Dong Racing and Karia Mart)

+ WuStank81 on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

^ Kiddy Dong. Ha!

I know the comparisons will happen, but this feels and plays like the SNES Super Mario Kart (A GREAT THING!) and not like the more recent races from Nintendo (ALSO A GREAT THING!)

A must buy.

+ I_am_rushin on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

Will there be a non racing mode (i.e. battle arena) like a certain other cart racer I’m sure we all know?

+ mrdeadhead on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

my birthday is may 26th, can i get this as a gift?

preferably from you?

my friends and family are really cheap.

+ RedKing on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Obviously Player 1 logs in and earn trophies/unlockables, but what about Players 2-4?

I’d like to play with my kids and have them earn stuff alongside me.

+ Ramage on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

@Chuck

Thanks for the response. Still glad to know we’re having 4PSC but have to admit I’m kind of bummed there’s no online with it. I can kind of see the redundancy considering you’ve already got 3 good friends playing alongside you.

Any chance 4 player online may get patched in later?

PS – This game has always been a day 1 purchase for me, just overly curious I suppose

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

Nothing wrong with being curious! 2 Player Online Split Screen support is all we can support for now. As for future patches, we will just have to wait and see. :)

+ Iowaboyjcb on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:39 pm said:

Couple of questions.

1) Will 2 player-online have a private match setting? My friends and I are have already been planning a couples night where we can see which individuals and their significant others are the best cart racers.

2) Will their be camera/voice support? It would be awesome to see the look on my friends face after they get a rocket up their… muffler.

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Mat Thomas on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

1)You can host private matches and invite players on your friends list to join you.

2)We will support VOIP, so if you and your friends have headsets you will be able to talk to each other while in game rooms, races and even in the Mod Spot.

+ jrellik on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Will you be able to play your own music in this game?

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Yup! Just play music from your XMB and it will replace the game soundtrack. (Although the soundtrack is quite fun to race to)

+ Zarxce on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Awesome!

…now if only I had friends to play with…

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Many friends to make on the PSN Zarxce! :)

+ FJ1100_rider on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

I was on the fence but this puts one leg over the other side
camera support will push me over completely ……. so does it have camera voice chat?

+ poodude on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

I’ve wanted this game since it as announced at E3, but now this annoucement makes me want it even more. Now I’ll finally have something to play with my family and friends other than Rockband and Call of Duty. More games need splitscreen!

+ Tarheel_Mark on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

Haven’t seen this mentioned yet (or maybe I missed it), but will split screen support multiple PSN logins (a la LBP and Resistance 2)?

Can’t wait to give this game a try. Looks great.

+ jvunlur on March 23rd, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

my deepest thanks to you guys for giving us 4 player split screen multiplayer!!!!! it has been missing from so many titles…

this will no doubt be my fav racing game of all time if it is indeed LBP meets racing. the customization and fun styled racing. then its 4 player offline multiplayer! + online. LOVE!

Mat Thomas's Avatar

+ Chuck Lacson on March 23rd, 2010 at 4:01 pm said:

Spread the Love! The More people who join the Nation, the more great creations to download and Race! :)

PAGE 1 2 3